Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TR10 speculation thread / Deciphering Lara's Journal (WARNING - SPOILERS & KITTENS)

Default TR10 speculation thread / Deciphering Lara's Journal (WARNING - SPOILERS & KITTENS)

Edit by Driber - merged 3 threads on the same topic.

WARNING! MAJOR TR9 PLOT SPOILERS!

IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED TO READ THIS THREAD ONLY AFTER YOU COMPLETED THE GAME!

Adding screenshot:

(click image to enlarge)

High Res version @ 3840 x 2160

Original OP by goofy:

FINALLY finished the game with 80%
    What do you guys think is the next step?!
    I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that she will have her dual pistols again! First.. when Roth dies she holds his two pistols ...
    then in the end.. she takes the dual pistols with her!!!
    and hey! Do you guys think there will be a sequel? I guess YES! haha because she already says "I'm not going home"
    OMG I can't wait for the next Tomb Raider! Guess it's gonna be on PS4? hmmmm
    So what do you guys think of the game?! Please share any hints of the upcoming game if you have lol!
    I know it's tooooo early :P haha! but yeah I like talking about my fave game
    Original OP by Mrlodgik:

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DID NOT FINISH THE GAME

Again please post on what you make on the secret message and Lara journal

Original OP by Rixen:

I started this thread on reddit but would love to get more input.

This could be absolutely nothing, but it seems too related to be random bits thrown on a page.

The page in question.

Now, it's possible that the devs said "Throw some history stuff on the pages and let's wrap it up already." but in doing a bit of digging I think it may be more than that.

I originally thought the top right was a misspelling of "Croatian" but I can't imagine Lara (or the devs) would make such a mistake. So I did a bit of Googling and, among other uses of the word Croatoan, found a lot about Roanoke Colony. For those unfamiliar with it Roanoke Colony, was an English settlement in what is now North Carolina in the late 1500s. It mysteriously disappeared and there was no sign of "foul play," in fact the colonists had clearly deliberately dismantled their colony and simply vanished, leaving only the word "Croatoan" carved into a post. Roanoke is now known as the Lost Colony.

Now, there are other uses of the word Croatoan, such as a Native American tribe or an island (more of a reef, really) which are both in the same area but the next bit is why I believe Roanoke was what was being referenced.

On the left page we have, among other things, a note paper with Cyrillic writing. Redditor milancheee let me know that the writing is actually English but just using the Cyrillic alphabet and translated it as:

Eight have origin
    Time essential
    Lost deel village
    The lost village bit combined with the "Croatoan" is why I believe we are referring to Roanoke.

Below that we see a bit of paper with the number and roman numeral for 3 on it. This is what actually got me looking at this stuff in the first place. Redditor SomewhatSpecial asked about Trinity, a mysterious organization you learn very little about and questions are left unanswered. All we seem to know comes from two files:

Number 1

Number 2
    (Screenshots from SomewhatSpecial)

Lara finding this reference to Trinity on the island may have her seeking out more about them/it. I believe that the presence of the 3 and III with the question mark could mean what we're seeing on the pages are related to Lara's search for more information about Trinity.

The bottom of the original screenshot is German. Redditor darthbiki reports that it is "Sie ist der Schlüssel" meaning "She is the key".

So here are the general elements of the page:
    1: Top Left, note with Cyrillic. Translation:
    Eight have origin
    Time essential
    Lost deel village
    May refer to Roanoke. I do not know the significance of "eight have origin."

2: Behind the note you can see a drawing of what could be a spear, arrow, window, etc.

3: Note with 3 and III? - Could be referring to Trinity

4: Drawing of some cliffs with what appears to be a cave circled in red. The drawing is taken from a book of some sort, indicated by the Figure: Etching underneath.

5: German - She is the key.

6: Top right is the word Croatoan with an arrow pointing towards a spot on the map below. Croatoan may refer to Roanoke.

7: The map is faded and it is hard to compare it to any area maps I've looked up of the area around Roanoke or Hatteras Island, historically called Croatoan. There are red lines drawn, some of which appear to follow a border and/or river. Interestingly the arrow does not point to the same location that is marked with the x on teh map but to a separate spot.

8: Blood stained paper saying _runter. I can't make out the first letter clearly but, if in English, the logical word would be grunter. However the first letter doesn't appear to be one used in the English alphabet so this may be in an alphabet like Cyrillic that shares some characters with English.

9: The writing at the bottom appears to be in Cyrillic or an alphabet that shares characters with it, but due to the font my layman eyes can't determine a way to read it.

Furthermore I was searching for a map to compare to the faded map in her journal and found this map of the area surrounding Roanoke:
    http://i.imgur.com/DHA2Fsi.gif

Note that Roanoke is located at Trinety Harbor. Could be something.

So there you have it, there's everything I know. Any other contributors care to share any knowledge they can put forward, or any fun fan theories?

(And yes, I will feel silly if this is all just random stuff that means nothing but, hey, I'm having fun trying to play detective, and I even learned the basics of reading Cyrillic so, yay.)
    Last edited by Driber; 03-23-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: update

Figure 1 talks about etching so :O
    Single, you want somethin?

Default Official TR10 speculation thread (WARNING - MAJOR TR9 SPOILERS!)

FINALLY finished the game with 80%
    What do you guys think is the next step?!
    I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that she will have her dual pistols again! First.. when Roth dies she holds his two pistols ...
    then in the end.. she takes the dual pistols with her!!!
    and hey! Do you guys think there will be a sequel? I guess YES! haha because she already says "I'm not going home"
    OMG I can't wait for the next Tomb Raider! Guess it's gonna be on PS4? hmmmm
    So what do you guys think of the game?! Please share any hints of the upcoming game if you have lol!
    I know it's tooooo early :P haha! but yeah I like talking about my fave game
    Last edited by Driber; 03-23-2013 at 11:39 PM. Reason: update

I didn't understand why I needed to get all the GPS things, I understood for relics and documents but the GPS didn't give anything. I have 94% done just need to do the challenges an multiplayer. Maybe the next game they will get caught by pirates on the new ship an Lara has to save everyone again.
    As long as we still have guns, we gonna fight.

If you didn't see it clearly, when she says she isn't going home, the page of the book she is holding says 'Croatia'

Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger27 View Post
    I didn't understand why I needed to get all the GPS things, I understood for relics and documents but the GPS didn't give anything. I have 94% done just need to do the challenges an multiplayer. Maybe the next game they will get caught by pirates on the new ship an Lara has to save everyone again.
    Haha! That would be awesome!!! Pirates and stuff lol!
    and I was thinking the same, what were the gps for?! hmm

If you didn't see it clearly, when she says she isn't going home, the page of the book she is holding says 'Croatia'
    Didn't notice at all! WOW!! Then the next tomb raider will be in Croatia?! :O yay

Quote Originally Posted by a big house View Post
    I'm pretty sure it said "Croatoa" not "Croatia"
    Single, you want somethin?

Completed, 100%, and bloody heck I love this game. Enjoyed it thoroughly... and it's nice to see a forum where people aren't all whining. And yes, I'm rather keen on seeing the next installment.

For what it's worth, I've allways enjoyed Tomb Raider. But this is the one where Lara is alive, so to speak; I felt rather sorry for Lara at times. She really is put through the grinder.

The other big character of the game is the island itself, and what a marvelous character that is. Huge scope, with quite a few 'what the heck' moments - the ship in the gondola rig stood out in that regard. (I'd love to get more story on that bit...seems insane.).

Anyway... yeah, carry on, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Eisenengel View Post
    Completed, 100%, and bloody heck I love this game. Enjoyed it thoroughly... and it's nice to see a forum where people aren't all whining. And yes, I'm rather keen on seeing the next installment.

For what it's worth, I've allways enjoyed Tomb Raider. But this is the one where Lara is alive, so to speak; I felt rather sorry for Lara at times. She really is put through the grinder.

The other big character of the game is the island itself, and what a marvelous character that is. Huge scope, with quite a few 'what the heck' moments - the ship in the gondola rig stood out in that regard. (I'd love to get more story on that bit...seems insane.).

Anyway... yeah, carry on, guys.
    now you mention it they havent really gone in to much detail why the island has such changing weather patterns like snow, curious why they didnt explain it further then only summoned storms
    signature image

The snow is high in the mountains... it's cold up there... XD
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by TranceTrouble View Post
    now you mention it they havent really gone in to much detail why the island has such changing weather patterns like snow, curious why they didnt explain it further then only summoned storms

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    The snow is high in the mountains... it's cold up there... XD
    Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
    is it that high? because when she enter the bunker in the first place you don't see any if i remember correctly
    signature image

Regarding the GPS collectibles:

Quote Originally Posted by TranceTrouble View Post
    is it that high? because when she enter the bunker in the first place you don't see any if i remember correctly
    The weather is unatural because of Himiko's soul. That's the reason why they can't live and everything just happen isn't exactly what should be in natural. So there is nothing wrong about this

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
    I'm pretty sure it said "Croatoa" not "Croatia"
    Lyle's right. I googled "Croatoa" and found this... I'm having a hard time believing this is just a coincidence... It would be a perfect target for Lara: http://anilbalan.com/2011/10/17/the-croatoan-mystery/

Particularly this bit is interesting:

The Croatans themselves believed that the island had a spirit and, if angered, this spirit had the power to change those who offended it into the form of animals, trees and rocks. So perhaps this is the explanation – that none of the people affected really disappeared but were simply transformed. If so it is no less bizarre or credible than any of the other theories that have been put forward over the years!
    More info on the Lost Colony: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Colony

Quote Originally Posted by Kasumi View Post
    Regarding the GPS collectibles:
    Those two little logs just didn't do it for me, there were to many of them just for the small little hint at something big, don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but it seemed like filler.
    As long as we still have guns, we gonna fight.

Default SpoilerS !! Next game hints in Ending and final GPS cache secret message SpoilerS !!

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DID NOT FINISH THE GAME

Again please post on what you make on the secret message and Lara journal

AWESOME thread. I love this stuff.

Hm. Someone posted a nice high res shot of the journal but I can't remember where.

Trinity. Hmmm...

I always had a feeling Lara would be against some sort of organized "mob" in the next game. A group.

Wow, nice speculation going on there, Mr. Logic

Yeah, that ending scene was quite awesome

Can't wait for the the location of TR10 to be revealed

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Just found another thread on the same topic. I'm merging both threads and dubbing this the official TR10 speculation thread

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Great replies you got there guys haha!
    but wht do u guys think about the dual pistols ? :P are they going to get back?!

and hey, how long do you guys think it will take for some news to be leaked just like when underworld was released! Remember those concept art that were leaked?! and they got them off the internet and made some "propaganda" about them? Haha

Okay, sorry about not reading Croatoa properly

But yay, another island

If my wish was to become true, she would be having an adventure in a Conan Doyle style Lost World, which means a South American table mountain populated by dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
    AWESOME thread. I love this stuff.

Hm. Someone posted a nice high res shot of the journal but I can't remember where.
    Here you go:

(click image to enlarge)

Added to OP as well

^Oooh, awesome thanks! Love the name of this thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    If my wish was to become true, she would be having an adventure in a Conan Doyle style Lost World, which means a South American table mountain populated by dinosaurs.
    I'd love that.

I think finding small undiscovered species of dinosaurs would be neat, and having an actual large dino could be awesome.

I want the whole.....long rope bridges across gorges, waterfalls and rivers. Really exotic plants, but more of a dark jungle not as happy and pretty as TRU Thailand.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast