Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: TR10 speculation thread / Deciphering Lara's Journal (WARNING - SPOILERS & KITTENS)

Quote Originally Posted by GUMI View Post
    I think a trilogy would have been better for this reboot.
    Let's say this game is "Girl to Survivor"
    Next game "Survivor to Expert"
    Third game "Expert to a Tomb Raider"
    Since this game did end with "A survivor is born"
    So this is highly possible.
    Yeah but I hope they don't say "ok trilogy done, pack up!"
    signature image

Okay, that one with the face could be a coincidence but the thing with the triangle is interesting. Maybe the "x's" do not mark places but fix points according to the number 3.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by XylophoneDealers View Post
    Yeah but I hope they don't say "ok trilogy done, pack up!"
    No, because after the third game Lara will be the Lara we knew.
    Not the LAU Lara, But a more classic one.
    And from that point the series will be completely rebooted and they can continue with more awesome adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInTheAlley View Post
    My personal favorite (completely fictional) theory as to why Croatoan was carved into the tree on Roanoke is in the Dean Koontz novel, Phantoms. I highly doubt that CD is going to go the same route he did, but they seem to at least be using the same baseline.

TR9 focused on the Dragon's Triangle, which holds a 'lost island' and is similar in effect to the Bermuda Triangle. All missing ships and explorers who are never found again. Crystal Dynamics used supernatural reasoning to explain this. Roanoke is a colony that vanished with Croatoan being the only clue.

Both Roanoke and the Bermuda Triangle (as well as a myriad of other lost civilizations and people) are also lumped together in Phantoms and explained away by a single supernatural force.

I think CD is trying to do the same general thing with this mysterious 'Trinity.' It could be an organization or a mythical villain or a God, I don't know. But I think this new focus for the series is going to center on lost civilizations, and Trinity is going to be a key element if not the absolute cause behind everything.
    So does this island take place within the Bermuda triangle? Also does anyone know how big it is modern day, I'm looking on Google and it just looks like a flat long stretch of land going left and right.

A list over some interesting "Triangles"
    Bermuda Triangle
    Devil's Sea (or Dragon's Triangle)
    Vile Vortices
    Im damn sure this will be a trilogy.

Today is everything a trilogy.
    signature image

If they were going for straight, narrative symmetry I would agree with you. But I think Square Enix may have loftier goals if this continues to sell as well as it has. That's regardless of whether or not CD sticks around passed a third game.

I hope we get a horror game in the next one.

^...? Really? You mean, moreso than the game we just played? Don't get me wrong, I'm a horror-loving maniac (look at my ridiculous Username), but they'd really have to go out on a limb to completely change genres on the fans. What kind horror are we talking about here, like a Lovecraftian thing?

^...? Really? You mean, moreso than the game we just played? Don't get me wrong, I'm a horror-loving maniac (look at my ridiculous Username), but they'd really have to go out on a limb to completely change genres on the fans. What kind horror are we talking about here, like a Lovecraftian thing?
    The caveren part of this game horror-ish.
    Or like the early concepts back in 2009.

i feel like a tomb raider trying to uncover this!
    im a mess

(click image to enlarge)

More horror is always welcome IMO.

I just want to be left alone to wander, explore and progress through heavy atmospheric spaces.

^If this is what we mean when speaking of horror, than count me in. Left alone, wandering and exploring and utilizing atmosphere to instill a sense of dread. Awesome.

I just don't want any Resident Evil in my Tomb Raider soup.
    A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! ― Marquis de Sade

I don't know what would separate Resident Evil from Tomb Raider in the horror arena.

As far as I know people see Resident Evil as an action game now anyways.

That's what I meant. Resident Evil, pretty much through Code Veronica, was of the utmost appeal to me growing up. I would bounce between RE and TR all the time, because they had such different flavors but were equally well made.

Now... well, now they're not so different. I just don't want Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and Gears of War to come together and fuse into one gigantic third-person, cover-based shooting monstrosity-

-that winds up destroying the known civilized world with all of its generic, third-person cover-based shootery.

I'm exaggerating, but I'd appreciate very much if the next game took a step back to politely invading ancient depths and shooting endangered species in the face.
    A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! ― Marquis de Sade

My personal favorite (completely fictional) theory as to why Croatoan was carved into the tree on Roanoke is in the Dean Koontz novel, Phantoms. I highly doubt that CD is going to go the same route he did, but they seem to at least be using the same baseline.

TR9 focused on the Dragon's Triangle, which holds a 'lost island' and is similar in effect to the Bermuda Triangle. All missing ships and explorers who are never found again. Crystal Dynamics used supernatural reasoning to explain this. Roanoke is a colony that vanished with Croatoan being the only clue.

Both Roanoke and the Bermuda Triangle (as well as a myriad of other lost civilizations and people) are also lumped together in Phantoms and explained away by a single supernatural force.

I think CD is trying to do the same general thing with this mysterious 'Trinity.' It could be an organization or a mythical villain or a God, I don't know. But I think this new focus for the series is going to center on lost civilizations, and Trinity is going to be a key element if not the absolute cause behind everything.
    Ew, Natla would be interested, she probably had some magical thing to transport her into this universe :P

But what about Aliens...Aliens could be the cause!
    Single, you want somethin?

Quote Originally Posted by VodkaSushiRoll View Post
    Where did Lara even get the book? Was it from her father? Roth? Or did she pull it off the island, I remember she took a map or something at one point in the game.
    It's Matthias' Notebook -Lara picks it up after getting her friends out of the helicopter ,during her escape!
    Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday!
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by laracrofty1 View Post
    It's Matthias' Notebook -Lara picks it up after getting her friends out of the helicopter ,during her escape!
    Thank you. Was also my question.
    signature image

I think it was her book, she was writing a diary the whole time, it could have been something she was studying a long time ago in college.

As for Trinity, I think they are going to be a secret illuminati like organization that wants power to control the world. And now that Lara is going to get major publicity, they will know she did something on Yamatai that destroyed the phenomenon, so maybe they will kidnap her for information. Maybe that's how the game will start, Lara being kidnapped and she will have to beat them to Croatoan to destroy their plans of world domination.
    Just my opinion XD
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

Okay, read the whole thread and here are some of my takes on what has been said here. I did this as I was reading through it, and I didn't think to take down the names of who made which comments, sorry.

" Just under the note the number "3" is written with it's equivalent in Roman Numeral "III" with a question mark. Also don't understand the meaning of this but maybe if somebody decipher the note it will shed some light on what it mean."

IS it the number 3, though? It's on a weird slant. I take this note to be 'does this symbol mean the number 3?'

Also, going on another take on 'mysterious triangles';
    - There are 3 mysterious triangles
    - Triangles have 3 sides and 3 points.
    - Trinity means a group of 3 people or things.
    - This will be the 3rd Tomb Raider trilogy.

"What is this star phenomenon as most certainly to do with queen Himiko and her power to control the weather but as the source of her power or any other event in the game is never mentioned to be linked to the star."

Other than her being called the 'Sun Queen' - we all know that stars are just distant suns. Nothing else about Himeko suggests why she would be called the Sun Queen (she controls storms - which usually block off the sun.)

I also notice that if you re-arrange the letters for Runter, you can get 'Return' (I noticed this by reading it backwards - 'ReTunuR')

"I wonder if that Journal previously belonged to Lara's father.
    She talked about how he knew about the mysteries, and then she's browsing through that journal.
    Hm."

This was obvious to me, and the first thing I assumed when watching the ending.

"In the game were mentioned the Axis powers what would explain the German phrases. According to that the meaning could refer to the "Triskele-symbol""

The celts (who used the triskele) weren't German, if that's what you are getting at. Being very familiar with Celtic mythology and Druidism, I don't see much connection between it and Roanoke Colony.
    (That said, I think the Franks who later became the French came from what is now known as Germany. The Gauls lived in the land that is now known as France. This is the only connection I can see between the Triskele and Germany)

Actually, now that I'm looking into it - I see the triskele is a pre-celtic symbol - so while it's commonly used by the Celts it existed quite a bit before.

"I remember she took a map or something at one point in the game."
    The map she took was of the island (she refers to it later when showing the other woman how to go inland by boat to get to the monastary)

OMG!
    What if we actually have found out the area for the next game in this thread?

OMG!
    What if we actually have found out the area for the next game in this thread?
    Than the developers are like
    "Oh , they are on to us!"
    I need the hammer to kill a god!

Quote Originally Posted by DarlinG View Post
    Than the developers are like
    "Oh , they are on to us!"
    I really hope we are wrong tbh.
    Or Meagan have to say to the writer of the new game (hopefully Rhianna Pratchett)
    To "Scrap" the story!!!!!!

@ Justin White

You are right. The Celts were not Germans. But they influenced the German culture at this time. The cultures from there to far in the north had very similar believings.
    But of course it was only a theorie I had what lies behind the word "Trinity" and the German phrases.
    Many Germans in the past and today a very interested in the origins of their culture.
    signature image

Wow I really love when the developer put secrets that hint to their next game

I am really sorry for the poor translation of the German phrase at the bottom left page. As I said, I google translated it because I don't speak a word of German.

So let's check what we've learned so far. We've learned that the note on the left page is written in cyrillic which according to wikipedia is was invented by the first bulgarian empire in 10AD (kudos to you guys). let's asume that we're talking about the lost colony here, was there any knowledge of an eastern european voyage to north america (myth,lost, just wandered by accident kinda stuff)? what is the connection to croatoan? Also maybe it as something to do with Trinity because of connection to German (europe) and the note really look like a secret telegraph, with it's hod short phrases and no connection between each phrase

As for the phrase:
    1."Eight have origin" Eight what? (figures, gods, maybe people like queen Himiko), the last part of the phrase is also interesting, maybe the croatoan disparition have something to do with the star phenomenon and or is the origin of it all.
    2."lost deep village" Ok here come the fun part. Still with the Croatoan stuff, Croatoan was a colony in which they made a village for the settlers who would live there. If we assume the "village" in the phrase is the settlers village we can speculate that they disappeared underground (Maybe with those "eight"). I think this theory is further reinforced by the fact that many thing (the adverb "drunter" meaning underneath and the figure etching of a cavern circled in red) is pointing to something underground.
    3."time is essential" really emphasise that their is a time limit to whatever is happening (maybe finding the entrance to cavern or something that is going to happen there?).

The number three and the Roman numeral, I really think you have something there with Trinity, maybe the author of the journal find a reference to the number 3 and some more dating back to antiquity during is research and they did this to emphasize the fact that they have been around for quite some time (see also two secret GPS message WW2 and Present time)

As for the phrase "she is the key" I have no Idea what it mean. I can speculate though that maybe "she" is the key to founding the entrance to the lost village cave or the Key to finding out what happened to the lost colony (also maybe why they went underground) and or the key to stop whatever is gonna happen when the time limit run out.

On a Final note since I am pretty sure that the picture on the top right of the left page (just beside the note) is a spear i'm going to try to find if it is based on a real object. And I know somebody probably posted it but did somebody translated what was written on the bottom right page of the journal?

A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne kinda stuff for the next game anyone ?

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast