Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion > Technical discussions & bug reports

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Mod Upgrade Installed
Eidos Moderator

are weapon upgrades permanent once installed or can they be taken off again?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
New Player

Does the UI have PC specific features?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Gamer

If you're missing something important from an area like a weapon or something to construct a weapon and are about to leave the area without it, will Lara comment and say something like "I should look around some more first before I move on". I just means things that are required for another area or for Lara to continue.

I know you can back track to certain areas but for those that you cannot go back to is what my question is based on. Sorry if this is confusing.
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxes View Post
We have never worked with a Latin American studio at Nixxes before, but I don't see why not!
xD Are very welcome!
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by 969 View Post
If i was able to run Absolution with everything on max/on, with the exception of MSAA, and getting solid performance (45 avg, 30 min frames) , will i be able to run Tomb Raider (almost) maxed with comparable results?

Props to Square Enix/Eidos and Nixxes btw for releasing good games and great PC versions.

Keep up the good work!
We're doing quite a few things that I think are very cool in Tomb Raider, and because of that you may not be able to max it completely, but if Hitman worked well I expect Tomb Raider to run well apart from perhaps the most high-end features.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidspacewalker View Post
Hey devs,

You've done some amazing ports recently and I can't wait for this one! My question is - how much freedom did you have to experiment with DX11 features when porting Tomb Raider?
Pretty free! We obviously check the final results with Brian Horton at Crystal but we have spend a lot of time experimenting with different techniques, also in cooperation with AMD, to see what would work best for the game.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
New Player

Quote:
That does look pretty interesting doesn't it? More on that tomorrow
AHHHHHHHHHHH OMG
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel7 View Post
Does the UI have PC specific features?
I'm not sure what specific features you would expect? But the UI has been given a make-over to ensure it controls well with the mouse and keyboard, as one would expect on PC. We basically went through screen by screen to see how we expected something like that to be controlled on PC, and then make the changes needed to do it.

There is also unique UI to control things like your button mapping, graphics options, etc.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainanlctr View Post
PLEASE allow us to download the steam in advance for when you arrive at day 05 we play we already
Just to be clear, we will allow you to download in advance, but are still working out the exact day with Steam. I expect it will give you plenty of time to download the full game before release!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Protagonist

With your partnership with AMD, will there be any features in Tomb Raider that will be exclusive to gamers with AMD hardware, and unavailable to Nvidia users?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM
New Player

Since the game was developed for consoles, did you have any major problems when moving it to PC?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
First of all i wanna say congratulations for past games, you did an amazing job!!

I wanna know what is your main goal when you do PC version of the game? What was your goal for this game?
Is it good optimization or maybe you want to make game to look great and to have special effects...etc?

And can you tell us more about special effect for TR? Or when will PC screens be released?
Well there are multiple goals. As we have said we want to make sure people with less powerful machines can have a good Tomb Raider experience, so we have focussed on optimization for that.

But we feel that to offer a really good game to PC gamers we also need to bring a lot of unique features, and can't just give you the same product at a higher framerate.

So one of the things that took the most time (probably after the controls and UI) was to add features to the game that made it really stand out on PC.
New Player

Quote:
I'm not sure what specific features you would expect? But the UI has been given a make-over to ensure it controls well with the mouse and keyboard, as one would expect on PC. We basically went through screen by screen to see how we expected something like that to be controlled on PC, and then make the changes needed to do it.

There is also unique UI to control things like your button mapping, graphics options, etc.
Thank you, that's great! Can't wait.
New Player

Does the recommended requirements target high settings at 60 frames?

How high res are the textures?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Will the online Multiplayer utilize dedicated servers, or peer to peer connections? If you happen to know the answer to this on PS3/360 as well would be very helpful. Thanks!
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_Method View Post
With your partnership with AMD, will there be any features in Tomb Raider that will be exclusive to gamers with AMD hardware, and unavailable to Nvidia users?
No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.
New Player

Quote:
Just to be clear, we will allow you to download in advance, but are still working out the exact day with Steam. I expect it will give you plenty of time to download the full game before release!
thank you
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Well there are multiple goals. As we have said we want to make sure people with less powerful machines can have a good Tomb Raider experience, so we have focussed on optimization for that.

But we feel that to offer a really good game to PC gamers we also need to bring a lot of unique features, and can't just give you the same product at a higher framerate.

So one of the things that took the most time (probably after the controls and UI) was to add features to the game that made it really stand out on PC.
Thank you!

Two more questions

1. Will you keep supporting Tomb Raider after March 5th? Releasing updates?

2. And is Tomb Raider more power hungry than Hitman: Absolution?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPiON5150 View Post
Will the online Multiplayer utilize dedicated servers, or peer to peer connections? If you happen to know the answer to this on PS3/360 as well would be very helpful. Thanks!
There are no dedicated servers for multi-player. It's all peer-to-peer. I think for the first multiplayer Tomb Raider game this was the most logical decision.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Gamer

Quote:
lara_fan: The game will save automatically as you play, but you can also make additional saves if you want to be able to load back there directly and play a section again.

Thanks for answering my question.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
No there should not be. AMD has always been quite clear about that as well. We are working on features that are specific to the PC platform, but if they are DX11 features they will also work on Nvidia DX11 hardware.

And while we support features like Eyefinity that does not mean we do not support features like Surround for Nvidia.
Great. Thanks.

I know the TressFX thing will be revealed tomorrow, and I somewhat suspect it might be a feature of Tomb Raider. Though as it's an AMD thing, I was worried I might not be able to use it - assuming it is a part of Tomb Raider anyway.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonelse View Post
Does the recommended requirements target high settings at 60 frames?

How high res are the textures?
It is always very difficult to specify recommended settings and define what exactly you will get out of that on your machine, and it will also vary somewhat depending on the location in the game, your resolution, etc.

The recommended spec certainly does not allow you to max out the game. The highest quality settings require a lot more power.

About the texture resolution, I am happy you ask about that because it is something we are quite proud of. We are offering very high resolution textures on the PC build, much higher than anything we have ever done on PC before. For most textures we have 16 times the data compared to consoles.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
iModô
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
For most textures we have 16 times the data compared to consoles.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
New Player

Hi guys.

Can I run this game with this machine on High settings with good fps?

Intel core i5 2300 - 2.80 GHZ
AMD Radeon HD 5750 (1GB) - GDDR5
4GB Ram DDR3

Thank you!!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Developer Representative
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Thank you!

Two more questions

1. Will you keep supporting Tomb Raider after March 5th? Releasing updates?

2. And is Tomb Raider more power hungry than Hitman: Absolution?
We do expect to stick around for a while after March the 5th. We expect to have a presence on this forum helping people with any technical issues, and push out updates via Steam as needed. I can't really promise how often or how quickly we'll have updates, we will see what comes up and react accordingly.

Is it more power hungry? Well, it can be! Tomb Raider is designed to scale across a wider range of hardware as Hitman. If turned up all the way it will probably require more power, but at Low it can run on pretty low-end machines, as the min-spec also shows.
Closed Thread