Thread: Getting Thief 1 to run on XP - a dark project

Default Getting Thief 1 to run on XP - a dark project

Hi, can anyone help me to solve the problems I encounter with this game?

I finished Thief 2 recently and had a great time with it - no errors at all. I may have used ddfix, I can't recall. However Thief 1 is giving me a headache.

I am running Thief Dark Project 1.33 on XP. When I run it in compatibility mode for either Win 95 or 98, the game crashes and gives me a grey screen of total death (needing reboot) after the main menu. Every time. When I run it normally, it works fine. The game was installed in compatibility mode. It didn't report any errors during installation. Nevertheless I tried removing it and reinstalling it, forcing it to ignore NT. There was no change.

The errors seem to be quite consistent. Compatibility mode never works. When running normally, the game runs perfectly smoothly until a random point when playing, when it just stops. It could be at any time during game play (never at the menus). This requires me to start Task Manager and kill the thief.exe process. Unfortunately I only ever get a few minutes (sometimes less) before it crashes. Sometimes I think I've solved it when the problem crops up again and everything freezes. That's when I realize I was just lucky in having a few more minutes than usual.

Anyone got any ideas to solve this? The video card is a built-in one (ATI Radeon 9600 series). Thanks

UPDATE: Problem solved.

Took me less time than I expected.

Just in case you didn't find it, someone released a magic patch that makes things run a lot more smoothly:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Just in case you didn't find it, someone released a magic patch that makes things run a lot more smoothly:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085
    Thanks, and also in case anyone missed this and is having similar problems, ddfix works on Thief Dark Project just as well as on Thief 2: the Metal Age.

Exclamation I need help aswell

[QUOTE=Taffmaster;1857181]Thanks, and also in case anyone missed this and is having similar problems, ddTE]

fix works on Thief Dark Project just as well as on Thief 2: the Metal Age.[/QUO

Hi I am using XP and I have just bought Thief the complete set, and it starts with Gold. I have played Thief before but never this game and never on XP. I bought the set as it stated that it played on XP. Problem is that I get to where the drunk guard is before you throw yourself down the well and the screen and game freeze. I have the latest drivers for my PC and have Direct X.

Please please please help I am desperate to play again I love the game. So will this patch help me or is there some other way of fixing the problem.

Mandy
    Last edited by westie_ladi; 04-15-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: left out what was wrong

[QUOTE=westie_ladi;1904965]
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffmaster View Post
    Thanks, and also in case anyone missed this and is having similar problems, ddTE]

fix works on Thief Dark Project just as well as on Thief 2: the Metal Age.[/QUO

Hi I am using XP and I have just bought Thief the complete set, and it starts with Gold. I have played Thief before but never this game and never on XP. I bought the set as it stated that it played on XP. Problem is that I get to where the drunk guard is before you throw yourself down the well and the screen and game freeze. I have the latest drivers for my PC and have Direct X.

Please please please help I am desperate to play again I love the game. So will this patch help me or is there some other way of fixing the problem.

Mandy
    Install ddfix if you haven't already.

http://jermi.dyndns.org/~jermi/ddfix/ddfix_1.5.11.zip