Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: THE CITY WATCH 2009/2013 -"Thief" NEWS / ARTICLES / PODCASTS - see 1st page updates

Quote Originally Posted by Master Taffer View Post
    Yes, because EM has both said they are developing DE: Human Defiance as well as proclaimed they've outsourced Thief IV

Could you people stop with the conjecture? It practically didn't even last ten minutes before some profoundly unwarranted and negative speculation to popped up. You're bunching up your own underwear at this point.
    It was clearly a rhetorical question, noting that their trajectory resembles Gearbox's up to this point, and wondering if it might continue in that direction. I think you're reading negativity into it, because my underwear are pretty darn comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvis79 View Post
    This could also be the title of the DX movie they've given a few interviews about.
    That was my first thought as well. Has anyone tried to find out if any thiefy like domains have been registered?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wight View Post
    It was clearly a rhetorical question, noting that their trajectory resembles Gearbox's up to this point...
    I'm very curious how you justify that perspective. From where I sit, the only parallel is Thief 4 has remained quiet for much of its development. So if you're using a lack of information as a premise for the game being on a bad track, then I can do no more than shake my head at you.

This "inventing reasons to complain" schtik from this fan community has become profoundly old after four years. My patience with Eidos Montreal is no worse for wear; my patience with Thief fans is at the breaking point.
    Last edited by Master Taffer; 02-28-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    signature image
    "@[=g3,8d]\&fbb=-q]/hk%fg"

I'm very curious how you justify that perspective. From where I sit, the only parallel is Thief 4 has remained quiet for much of its development. So if you're using a lack of information as a premise for the game being on a bad track, then I can do no more than shake my head at you.

This "inventing reasons to complain" schtik from this fan community has become profoundly old after four years. My patience with Eidos Montreal is no worse for wear; my patience with Thief fans is at the breaking point.
    Ditto.
    And vapid rumor-mills like Kotaku, proffering unsubstantiated hearsay as 'news' to depict the development as 'troubled' aren't doing anything to mollify the current climate.
    signature image

Yes, because EM has ... proclaimed they've outsourced Thief IV
    I can absolutely confirm 100% that Thief has not been outsourced!

Quote Originally Posted by b1skit View Post
    Right! Only, no one outside the hallowed walls can see it, or know of it's continued state of existence. Keep the Faith.
    signature imagesignature image

How about parts? DXHR had its boss fights outsourced. Can you absolutely confirm that no part of Thief 4 is outsourced?

Added to updates on first page.. and FAQs thread also updated.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessFalls View Post
    I think it's time to show something. For the poor people who left EM and have "Worked on Thief 4" on their resume, let that line actually mean something tangible so they can more easily find new jobs, get higher pay, update their online portfolios, or otherwise prove their work was good and meaningful. Without a Thief 4 reveal, that line on their resume/LinkedIn profile is somewhat meaningless. Holding their contributions NDA-hostage for so long, with no end in sight, is unfortunate.
    I already felt rather shafted by the whole thing, I didn't even think of those poor bastards. I can't imagine working for anyone and then having to tell the people at my next job interview that I'm not allowed to discuss or show what I did for, oh, 4 years or so. No one would hire you next to the guy who actually has that kind of work they can show - and that's just sad.

EDIT: also, why do we have dookey brown highlights on the forum now??? or is my computer bonkers?
    signature image
    signature image

There you have it, people!

I think it's time to show something. For the poor people who left EM and have "Worked on Thief 4" on their resume, let that line actually mean something tangible so they can more easily find new jobs, get higher pay, update their online portfolios, or otherwise prove their work was good and meaningful. Without a Thief 4 reveal, that line on their resume/LinkedIn profile is somewhat meaningless. Holding their contributions NDA-hostage for so long, with no end in sight, is unfortunate.
    Potential employers in the industry understand how the NDA works and would not hold it against any of those people. The concern is nice, but they are not suffering because of said NDA. It's just business as usual.
    signature image

It's just business as usual.
    Yep, very typical.
    signature image

Much of its development? Don't you mean the entirety of its development? As for specific similarities, I'm noting 1.) 4 years no info, no title 2.) studio confirmed to be working on numerous other titles over that span, two of which have shipped 3.) trademarking of DX sequel (a la Borderlands 2). Like I said, I'm just noting a similar pattern because I find it interesting, not in order to attach some sort of value judgement to it. You seem to want to interpret neutral commentary as doomsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wight View Post
    Much of its development? Don't you mean the entirety of its development? As for specific similarities, I'm noting 1.) 4 years no info, no title 2.) studio confirmed to be working on numerous other titles over that span, two of which have shipped 3.) trademarking of DX sequel (a la Borderlands 2). Like I said, I'm just noting a similar pattern because I find it interesting, not in order to attach some sort of value judgement to it. You seem to want to interpret neutral commentary as doomsaying.
    I reiterate, much of it's development. There hasn't been much, but we have gotten small nibbles now and then; nothing particularly satiating, admittedly.

The very action of drawing parallels between development of Thief 4 and Aliens: Colonial Marines (a game that is now infamous for being a complete mess) doesn't leave much room for anything but a negative interpretation of your point. Regardless of your intent, it's a misnomer. One can read the story of what happened with A:CM just about anywhere at this point; the majority of it's terrible problems stemming from an outsourcing that was extremely poor on communication and consensus between teams. We've seen nothing with Thief 4's development to make any sort of proper comparison in this regard.
    Last edited by Master Taffer; 03-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    signature image

Dunno if this is the place to say this, but we now have not one, but two instances of actual EM work product to look at when prognosticating about Thief 4. Reviews have not been kind to the Tomb Raider multiplayer-not awful, but not good. I probably won't try it myself, having zero interest in Tomb Raider and zero interest in multiplayer gaming. Anybody planning on buying it, so they can give us a firsthand review? If it is bad, should this worry us?
    Early Review Round-Up
    A true professional doesn't leave a mess.
    My YouTube channel-Thief Ghosting videos!

I don't think...
    I am saying that the NDA is typical... and it most certainly is.
    signature image

FYI, regarding the news on "Deus Ex: Human Defiance".
    Credit to Shaikh.

Deus Ex: Human Defiance Is Not A Game, It’s The New Movie

Believe me when I say this but I do feel your pain while reading the title of this news article. Unfortunately everyone, the new Deus Ex trademark that was spotted a few days ago is not about a new game, but about the new movie that will be based on this game. Yeap, Deus Ex: Human Defiance is – most probably – the name of that film according to the following whois information.

Spotted by NeoGAF member ’EatChildren’, this information reveals the proper domain of Deus Ex: Human Defiance. According to the whois information, Human Defianec is a film based on Deus Ex. Our guess is that this is the movie everyone has been talking about lately. Not only that, but as we can see the domain was registered the same day we got word that Square Enix trademarked Deus Ex: Human Defiance, so that can’t be a mere coincidence. In other news, no new game, no incoming game-related announcement.

That’s a really disappointing turn of events as Human Revolution was a stunning video game. And even though it met critical success and won a lot of awards, Square Enix seems to be holding back on it. Hell, the company has not revealed yet whether we’ll get a sequel or not.

So, will Human Revolution be a one-hit success or will Square Enix take advantage of it? That remains to be seen.

Source

signature image

I don't think having your work/contributions shrouded in complete secrecy for nearly half-a-decade is very typical in the industry. I think Hypevosa gets it. Contrarian would probably get it, too, if he wasn't hibernating Normally there's at least a trailer, gampeplay, concepts, and other stuff to show potential employers within four years... even within one or two.

If two prospective employees are looking for the same job, one has worked on two or three Assassin's Creed games the past four years (for sake of argument) and can show everything s/he worked on, and the other has worked on Thi4f for the same four years and can show nothing for it, I'd say the AC person has a better chance at landing that job, or even a better job... and at a higher rate of pay. The person who worked on Thi4f will have a portfolio consisting of work they did in some game that was released in 2008 or 2009, like Turok or LocoRoco 2, or earlier. And everything since 2009 will be, "Please take my word for it, I'm not lying" statements during the job interview. For a concept artist, writer or art director, or some other job that relies so heavily on seeing the end product, it seems like going this long would be an eternity.
    While this model would work if we were talking any other type of job, in the game industry the NDA is business as usual. A prospective employer in the game industry is going to be intimately familiar with a non-disclosure agreement as everyone uses them.

Now, this individual who worked on Thief 4 in your hypothetical scenario could put Thief 4 on his list of previous projects as well as his role, but heís going to display a portfolio with other material at said interview. Professionals donít clock out at 5 PM, go home, and put their feet up; they are working all the time on their own material on the side. They study new techniques and practice, practice, practice. A portfolio is going to show not just their previous work, but side projects that demonstrate a wide range of abilities and skills. A portfolio that simply shows nothing but Assassinís Creed stuff doesnít show a wide suite of abilities and styles, just competency in one area. Variety is just as important as technical skills.

Now, these people who do their work on Thief 4 and leave the project are industry professionals. Many of them are, in fact, contractors who come in because specific skills are needed. They already have a wide range of material in their portfolio that speaks for their craft, and once the NDA is lifted on Thief 4 they can add it to it. The rest of the development team is on board for the life of the project, and once it is done they move on elsewhere. Many of them remain in studio, some migrate to other studios. The NDA doesnít hinder anyone from getting work, not even after a four to five year long one.

So, once again, while your concern is in the right place itís pretty unfounded.

What's this? I thought I made all the apologists see the light. Hrrrmmpphhhh. Back to work, it seems.

I am already enlightened.

Anyway, shouldn't you be on vacation?
    signature image

Say his name and he becomes corporeal.

Like Betelgeuse.

Seems a bit odd to me that they would make a film based on an existing and popular IP (in this case, Deus Ex: Human Revolution) and then change the name of it. You'd think they'd want the film to promote the game, and vice versa.

I'm excited about the film, but I was more excited about a sequel game. (Though it's pretty probable there will still be a sequel!)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Seems a bit odd to me that they would make a film based on an existing and popular IP (in this case, Deus Ex: Human Revolution) and then change the name of it. You'd think they'd want the film to promote the game, and vice versa.

I'm excited about the film, but I was more excited about a sequel game. (Though it's pretty probable there will still be a sequel!)
    I agree. It's a bit of a bitter-sweet announcement, isn't it?

So far, even the best vg adaptations are mediocre at best, so yeah. A sequel would've been much better since DXHR was better than most of the crap that's out there in the mainstream market.

And I'm positive that there will be a new Deus Ex game after Thief 4, but then again, we're talking about decades.

*ahem* What's this??

You guys are talking about Deus Ex in the Thief forums??

This won't do. Not at all.

I'm gonna have to do something about this.............. Something drastic.

Lets reconvene tomorrow. Set your watches, taffers.

Well...now i'm curious Watch set.

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast