Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen support for Soul Reaver 2

Default Widescreen support for Soul Reaver 2

Well before we all got hyped, this is a still a W.I.P

The patch is close to be finished, I get the models and somehow the enviroment scale to the correct aspect ratio for 16:9 widescreen resolutions.

However there are some testing that needs to be done before I submit a proper patch. There are artifacts and graphics glitches that need to be solved, but so far I am making progress. Luckily the game use the width for scaling the graphics so there will be no problems like cropped or zoomed gameplay (that was not the case in Soul Reaver).

Also bad news, I lost my original copy of Blood Omen 2 so I dont now If I will make a patch for that game since I tried to buy it from GoG but the game is not for sale there.

Thats all, I will Update this post as I make progress!

thanks for the progress! btw, have you made a patch for SR1 as well? The one made by Tos has an issue with the wraithblade rendering incorrectly, could you maybe fix it somehow?

I will take a look at it, but after finishing the Soul Reaver 2 one. I will take a wild guess here and say that this can be caused because not all the necessary functions were linked to that value (1.333333) and thus the blade got unaffected by the changes, or maybe the blade don't take its value from that memory address. Though Vampmaster posted he found a way to expand or narrow the blade. If he can post more info about this I could probably fix it.

And here is a little update on the progress for Soul Reaver 2, I get the camera right, the 3d models too, BUT I cannot find the value for the enviroment objects, If someone is good with assembler and can help with finding the remaining value, Its more than welcome.

UPDATE2: I finally found the value

From the picture you can barely see that the objects match the aspect ratio.
    Now comes the hard part, the value is called from 386 functions within the code. I need to nail just one of them to remove the artifacts and this can be tedious. I think I am gonna go out and feed well to have the valor to do this.

UPDATE3: I almost got it, all the 3D rendering scales properly, but now I have to deal with the frustrum culling, since I lowed the value from 1 to 0.75 in float, I need to set back to 1 in the function that handles the culling, that will be a PITA.

UPDATE4: Almost there, almost there, let me tune the final details, so we don't get crashes!
    Last edited by Marcelo_20xx; 09-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.

I didnt understand a word of that other than pita, haha! But im glad youre doing it, because i sure never could!

Quote Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
    thanks for the progress! btw, have you made a patch for SR1 as well? The one made by Tos has an issue with the wraithblade rendering incorrectly, could you maybe fix it somehow?
    I think I can fix the problem with the reaver blade in Soul Reaver, It seems that is not a 3D model but a 2D layer sprite, I found a way to reproduce this same glitch in Soul Reaver 2, or at least the function tied with the drawing is the one used for the 2D layers (the compass, health bar, menus and the reaver share the same function).

Hey, Marcelo, keep up the good work, this looks awesome and thanks a lot for Defiance widescreen fix!
    By the way, will you make one for BO2? Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with some apple jam and peanut butter?

Hope you enjoy the Blood Omen 2 patch, its already done!
    Sadly I stopped working in this patch, you see, the game uses a very difficult, complex formula for dealing with the frustrum culling ONLY in this game, it doesn't use this in Defiance or Blood Omen 2 or the Play Station 2 version, so without figuring out how this works I am afraid that is impossible to patch the game without having missing polygons.

Long story short, its nearly impossible to patch this game

P.S. I didn't forgot about Soul Reaver, I will try to fix the reaver blade glitch.

At one point I was doing stupid things with the exe (i.e. changing random values and seeing weird stuff that followed) - and I know that there is a value somewhere that represents the aspect ratio for the User Interface sprites. This can be helpful for a 'full' patch with no UI stretching.

Yeah, I found those values too, but they are linked to other functions like graphics effects, so If we modify them the effects get missaligned too, exactly one of these values is what is causing the reaver blade bug in Soul Reaver

Awe. That is a shame

Awww. How bad does it look with the missing polygons?

Bad, they are quite noticeable, I have the functions who deal with the culling but If I modify one value I mess the other, because like I said, its a formula. In total there are 4 functions, I tried all possible combinations but still didn't got right.

Need some ppl with strong knowledge of assembly here, otherwise is not worth the trouble to even release it in this state.

Same with Soul Reaver 1, I think they share the same engine or something, because whenever I expand the view, there are missing polygons too.

This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to make a "Vert-" patch or would it cause the same problems?

SR2 is interesting on the video front, too.

It's the only one in the series whose FMVs are already in 16:9 format (640x360), yet the game forces this to be shrunk down with a generated black matte ingame, with the horizontal of the video stretched then to the width of your screen.

Basically, making the video skinny is the only was around it (calculated right, though). They now look as they should in the game, while looking squished if you play them in the bink viewer. Maybe it would also work to overcompensate the vertical perametors in the game, itself? Is that what a vert patch is, by the way?

Incidentally, I've also labored hard determining that the intro from the PS2 version is ultimately not better to be used than the PC's version. The video quality is better on the PS2, but it's hampered by containing these tiny horizontal breaks in the video, kind of like the scan lines on the PC version of SR1's intro, but not anywhere near as bad. They just become too distracting, especially when the action heats up. If it were just interlacing, or some easy fix, it would be no problem to do so, but I am afraid it's inherent in the video now. So, the minor visual hit on the PC's version is still better and is the one I've used.

I did use the .wav lossless audio from the PS2 version, though, so no more digital noise in the intro, or the credits.

As another side/bonus, I also have the BO2 trailer from SR2's disk. If it's any indication of the videos on BO2's PS2 disk, then this is the quality I want. The compression on BO2's PC videos is horrendous. I'm going to host that Quicktime movie file I've made as a bonus, and maybe also upload it to YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to make a "Vert-" patch or would it cause the same problems?
    Yeah, same problems.
    Although I will release the unfinished patch anyway, If someone wants to mess with it

Well ... at leas the videos will be in the right format.

Edit: New link for the videos.

You'll also need the binkw32.dll file I've included to replace the one that is in SR2's game folder.

If you're on Windows 64bit, you'll need a binkw64.dll file. I've uploaded two options of each to try out. Make a copy of the one in the game folder you wish to replace, just in case. You can always get the original again from the game disk, however.

Download the files here:

Soul Reaver 2 Movies Widescreen

Instructions:

Take these new .dat files and place them in your SR2 directory (C:\Program Files\Eidos Interactive\Soul Reaver 2 ... or wherever you installed the game), after first taking the existing .dat files of the same name already there and putting them somewhere temporarily (in case these do not work for you).

I hope these download properly for everyone. Let me know if there are any problems.

For Soul Reaver 1, I've formatted these videos for widescreen also. Find the link here:

Soul Reaver 1 Widescreen Movies

As before, copy these videos to your SR1 ingame directory, placing the originals somewhere else in case.

Here's the Blood Omen 2 Trailer from the PS2 disc on YouTube.

I'm posting it here since it is from the SR2 disc.

By the way, listen to Ed Boone's Hylden Lord in this. He doesn't sound that great in my game, that's for sure
    Last edited by The Hylden; 04-10-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Updated Video Links

Default Widescreen support for the Gog version of SR1

Hi guys, has anyone created a widescreen exe for Soul Reaver 1?

Hi Kaizainiel. I've merged your thread with this one. As you can see, the problem with creating a reliable widescreen patch for both SR1 & 2 is that effects and other things can't appear to be lined up properly.

There was also this thread here where a patch for the regular version lies, but the problem of not being able to aligning things like the Reaver and other effects right existed.

Hopefully, someday someone can crack the formula, but it hasn't happened yet.

You can at least get the full motion video intros of SR1 & 2 in widescreen that I uploaded. The game's another matter, unfortunately.

I see what you mean. I used a hex editor. I haven't played all the way through the game in widescreen, the Reaver being the only issue so far. Worth it.

Marcelo, I'm not as good as you or say Vampmaster, and I have not done anything since a custom SR2 debug menu, but if you wouldn't mind sending me the SR2 patch as well as the offsets, I'll take a look.
    Last edited by Kaizainiel; 10-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.

can somebody upload that SR2 intro and credits by Hylden on a different site without the traffic limit? (sendspace or mediafire). Thanks!

Any progress on that SR2 Widescreen hack?
    Last edited by Raina Audron; 12-18-2012 at 06:12 PM.

Marcello never finished the patch, nor did he release it or any information for other people to look through.

hm too bad. Though I did find out that there is a working widescreen patch for the ps2 version of the game, I will try it out.

EDIT: It works great, though there are some texturing issues (caused by mipmapping).. sigh.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)
    Last edited by Raina Audron; 02-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.

It wasn't because I didn't want it, but because I didn't saw someone who would be interested in the WIP patch. Anyway if there is someone who wants to continue or take a look at it I could post the exact approach I made. BTW I also knew the working PS2 patch done by nemesis2000 for the PS2 version, heck I even tried to adapt it to the PC version, but no matter what I tried I always glitched the game, that's why I stopped working on the patch.

Would it be possible to use a third party application to adjust fov? I remember a few years back having to do that with Halo CE and Tomb Raider Legends. I can't remember the name of the program though.
    I was once a vampire prophet like you... then I took an arrow to the knee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast