Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Blood Omen Series - General Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Gamer

Question Blood Omen 2 - official name

This may sound like a silly question, but what is the full official name of BO2? I always thought it was Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. Then I noticed a little detail on the cover of my copy of LoK Anthology - "includes: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain, Legacy of Kain: Defiance". So I'm thinking that it is unfortunate that the official retailer doesn't know the proper name of the game that they are selling, but then I found something else. Wikipedia refers to the game as Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain. Wiki is not reliable so it doesn't really matter, but then there is a catch. Official Crystal Dynamics site also refers to the game as Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain. Huh? Did I miss something?
The manual simply calls the game Blood Omen 2 (and to makes things even more confusing it says that it is a sequel to Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen).
So was the name changed at some recent point, is it a mistake or was it always BO2:LoK?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Well, the name of the first game is Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain, as Blood Omen was the real name and Kain's Legacy was only to be one chapter within the world. The second actually does follow suit.

The umbrella name of both branches, Soul Reaver and Blood Omen, is "The Legacy of Kain series," if you note on the covers of the games. It's not subtitled on any of them with Legacy of Kain first, or second, until Defiance, which has it absolutely as Legacy of Kain and Defiance the subtitle.

Blood Omen 1 had Kain's Legacy being the subtitle because it was only one story within what SK might have continued as a series with Blood Omen in Nosgoth.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it breaks down.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Gamer

I'm aware of the original BO:LoK name convention. My question is whether it's BO2, LoK:BO2 or BO2:LoK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
It's not subtitled on any of them with Legacy of Kain first, or second, until Defiance, which has it absolutely as Legacy of Kain and Defiance the subtitle.
SR1 is explicitly titled LoK:SR. It's even all over the manual (installing Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, running Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver etc.).
Only BO2 and SR2 don't have it as a part of their name and only have "the Legacy of Kain series" "board" (interestingly above SR2 and below BO2).

And this is from BO2 manual:
Quote:
The story of BLOOD OMEN™ 2 takes place two hundred years after LEGACY OF
KAIN™: BLOOD OMEN™, and several centuries before the events of LEGACY OF
KAIN™: SOUL REAVER™
Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

I realize what your question was. Yes, SR1 has the name that way as does Defiance, now that I look again. Both BO2 and SR2, however, have the The Legacy of Kain series above, for me (on PC). Not that this is here, or there, to the question.

I've always personally known BO2 as Blood Omen 2: The Legacy of Kain, the same as its predecessor.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Gamer

I just noticed that there two variants of the name - one with the LoK series above BO2 and one below. I actually don't have the original box so that's why I did not notice that immediately. I just always assumed that ever since CD took over and "promoted" LoK from subtitle to series name it has become a convention for all sequels, BO2 included. And I just never noticed anyone referring to it as BO2:LoK until recently. It has always been LoK:BO2 or BO2, hence my confusion.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Gamer

Interestingly I've got bits with references to both games with the titles both ways around - "BO2:LoKs"/"Loks:BO2" and "LoKs:SR2"/"SR2:LoKs". I think they were probably using the "Legacy of Kain series" thing as brand icon that could be placed anywhere and technically the titles were just "Soul Reaver 2" and "Blood Omen 2".

Personally I'd always leant towards the LoK:BO2 way, purely because that's the way it was on my favourite trailer
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Gamer

I never paid really close attention, but (until now) I always thought that BO1 and BO2 were

Blood Omen (2): Legacy of Kain

And the SR duo were

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (2)

I always thought it helped show that in BO you play Kain, and it is your legacy.
And in SR that you are still tied to Kain and his story, but now youre looking at it through a new prspective.

Seems kinda silly to put the LoK wherever. Do I look up cheat codes (or anything else) in the L's, the S's or the B's?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 AM
formally known as Corlagon

My PS1 and PS2 game boxes say (on the side):

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain™
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver™
Soul Reaver 2™
Blood Omen 2™
Legacy of Kain: Defiance™

Here is how I always stylise the games' full titles:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. The BO2 manual seems to attempt to revise it into Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen for consistency, but I really don't consider that valid. Even later sources from the core Soul Reaver team called it by its original name.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2. This is very arguable, since "Soul Reaver 2" and "The Legacy of Kain Series: Soul Reaver 2" are probably more valid, but I simply find it's the most consistent, common and elegant compromise.
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. Shortened version of the full "The Legacy of Kain Series: Blood Omen 2" title, validated by its manual.
Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

Also see Dark Chronicle.

Blood Omen 2 was never, ever named "Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain". I'm certain that the Wikipedia article on BO2 simply has an incorrect title. Perhaps whoever in Crystal Dynamics slapped that recent links page together just copied that and didn't pay close attention to their own property (unless it was Riley Cooper, after all, it was most likely someone who never worked on LoK). Believe me, you shouldn't underestimate the number of people who just automatically assume wikis are gospel .
Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strands Of Night View Post
Seems kinda silly to put the LoK wherever. Do I look up cheat codes (or anything else) in the L's, the S's or the B's?
Not really if you're attempting to build a brand identity
as for cheats, you should find them under L's mostly as that's the most consistent title, but on any decent site it should redirect you no matter what you put - Looking through for what cheat sites call these, it seems once again we get "BO:LoK", "LoK:SR" and "LoK: D", but BO2 is down in most simply as "Blood Omen 2", whereas for SR2 it seems interchangeable between "LoK:SR2" and simply "Soul Reaver 2".

In fact, furthering this, lining up the spines (of PS versions) - they say in order, "Blood Omen :Legacy of Kain", "Legacy of Kain :Soul Reaver", "Soul Reaver 2", "Blood Omen 2" and "Legacy of Kain: Defiance" - I'd say it appears that "Legacy of Kain series" tag was not just interchangeable in it's position, but entirely removable.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Indeed. That was what I was getting at in stating "The Legacy of Kain series" is what's written on the titles (should have said only the two, and not included SR1). More of an umbrella term for those two games, it wasn't added in officially before, or afterward at least on the boxes and CDs. And shorthand in interviews on IGN, Gamespot, etc., usually barely mention Legacy of Kain, if at all. CD wasn't going out of its way to make it official one way, or another.

Again, for me, I always have called BO2, since almost the beginning of having the game (probably the first time buying the game, I just knew it as Blood Omen 2, period, and that was the first in the series I had back in 2002) Blood Omen 2, with Legacy of Kain as the subtitle. I have seen it written both ways over the years and I can't say there's an official either, or out there. I hope maybe I am wrong and we can get some confirmation concretely, but that's about all there might be.

I do agree that it is a strange way to have gone about it. It wasn't consistent at all. I do think it was a contributing factor to lack of keeping sustained interest in the series. Not as much as the lack of time to polish the games, the content left out, and the bad marketing in general, perhaps, but still, it probably had something to do with it for some.

For instance, I have seen written in comments and heard over the years that some people didn't even realize the Soul Reaver games had anything to do with Blood Omen titles, or that they were Kain's Legacy continued. That's a real shame.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Gamer

Funnily enough, BO2:LoK/LoK:BO2 confusion is even on the covers. On North American covers it's LoK:BO2 (or TLoKS:BO2 to be precise), but it's the other way around on European covers.