Thread: texture memory usage. Fix for dummies please help.

Question texture memory usage. Fix for dummies please help.thief 2

I am playing on a old computer, I have thief 2. It work wonderful except when I die, when I go to load my game the screen goes black and I have to restart the game from the desktop.
    I get the "Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage error...."
    Which is a bummer because like I said other than loading after "death" it works great. Any ideas on what I can do?
    I do not understand ANYthing about computers, I look up the error and came to this site. I have a Nvidia card.
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/

" We will not be providing the Thief2 fix for Nvidia driver 5x.xx; because it bypasses copy protection; Thief 2 users can simply place the line safe_texture_manager into their user.cfg file, ."

What does the above mean? How do I do that? Do you think it will work? Will it make the graphics un bearable?
    Like I said it all works, except when I die. Any help would be wonderful! I truly love love this game.

Note this in the file user.cfg in your T2 install folder:

;Some video cards may not work properly with Thief 2
    ;including the intel 810 and the nVidia RIVA 128.
    ;To fix, remove the semicolon from the next line.
    ;safe_texture_manager

(so remove the semicolon from safe_texture_manager and try it).

There are other ways to fix this problem such as installing DDFIX. TTLG Legacy Gaming Technical Forum (or similar) may provide more options if the above doesn't work.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

Thankyou so much for the help!! it worked, and I can now enjoy thief again!