Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Thief > Thief General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAcerbusx View Post
His argument wasn't that it wasn't annoying, it was that it's more realistic. In real life, if you lean around a corner while perched on a building ledge, there's a decidedly high probability your evening will end with you splitting your head open like a ripe canteloupe.

The lean in TDS was more realistic by necessity. Because now you have a third-person player model, and so you can't defy the laws of physics by holding your torso at a perfect 45 degree angle, even as everything from the waist down is straight and rigid. If Garrett couldn't perform the same lean he did in TDP and TMA, it's probably because his spinal column had to be surgically fused together after two games' worth of snapping it in half every time he had to peek around a corner.
Maybe I'm a master of gravity, but I CAN hold my torso at about a 45-30 degree angle to the floor while keeping 2 feet firmly planted - giving me an 18 inch horizontal gain from the center of my face to my new location. Give me a wall to brace on a bit and I can suddenly get to 24 inches out. Let me use my far foot to counter balance by entirely lifting it off the ground and I can get out to 28 inches about. Taking an extra step for a lean (like in TDS) puts me at 36 inches, but it's not necessary at all when 24 inches is more than enough lean to discern what's around the corner, and 18 is more than enough to allow one to fire a bow even.

This is stuff I actually measured and tested as well. I took a meter stick, hung it on my wall, and centered my nose at the 0 mark for all these measurements. I've also fired my recurve bow while leaning as described so I know it works.

Dry lean wise, you're using your arse and your far leg to counterbalance your torso. Bracing against the wall allows you to abuse its static force of friction so you can lean further without slipping. It's simple mechanical physics.

Assuming Garrett isn't someone as top heavy as, say, Jessica Rabbit, or Arnold Schwarzenegger, he should also be able to perform this simple task. I'd really hope he has a better sense of balance than I do too. It's not super awesome cool looking necessarily, but it's more than possible, and also very practical compared to literally stepping into the hallway you want to look in, or off the ledge you only wanted to lean and look around.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Gamer

Good news: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/thief_gold
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 AM
Gamer

Even without Hype's impressive display of geeky acrobatics, failing at something due to your character failing to behave as expected is simply not fun. Realism should not get in the way of fun gameplay unless you're making a sim game.

(I also wish to add that even with my feet straight behind each other I can comfortably get around 50cm horizontal lean without bracing on a wall. It's ok Hype, man. We're both terrible nerds.)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdogify View Post
finally! i hope i will be able to play this whitout those crappy issues i had before...
so i guess i will buy it if i get positive feedback...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranfin View Post
Even without Hype's impressive display of geeky acrobatics, failing at something due to your character failing to behave as expected is simply not fun. Realism should not get in the way of fun gameplay unless you're making a sim game.

(I also wish to add that even with my feet straight behind each other I can comfortably get around 50cm horizontal lean without bracing on a wall. It's ok Hype, man. We're both terrible nerds.)
:P I just like testing my limits though I'm normally not actually measuring results. I've been leaning around corners for a long time, and playing thief didn't help my desire to try and push limits (I even taught myself to run silently at one point, though I'm not as quiet as I once was).

And 50cm "feet straight behind eachother"... so one foot in front of the other? That's normally a fairly unstable position - impressive! I guess you're probably taller than I am, and maybe have a lower center of mass, and maybe took yoga or something? xD

I guess a compromise here would be to have a gradual lean with corresponding character animation, or a means of choosing which lean you'll use, like hold down run and lean to get that large full body lean for if you need to make a shot with the bow that requires that angle or something.

Regardless there's no reason to require a full step lean of the player when they don't want it.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Gamer

Having two different types of leaning sounds unnecessary. Just have one lean which doesn't compromise Garrett's balance and be done with it, there's no need to make the move more complicated.

Also, parkour and various martial arts. And yeah, one foot in front of the other. "Feet straight behind each other" sounds like quite a painful pose to assume, now that I think about it.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Gamer

Quote:
AMAZING
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Order of the Vine

Quote:
Very good news indeed!!
Added to updates on first page of this thread.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Gamer

Cool--And Instant Buy!

And it comes with the soundtrack and wallpapers, and avatars, too!

[edit] I wanted to give this post a little more substance. I actually found out that Thief was finally on GoG from a post on Facebook by the actress (and geek-favorite) Felicia Day.

"UM one of my favorite childhood games, Thief is now on http://t.co/UWqgtDs4! http://t.co/j4yCOPhk"

So the news has been spread to all the Dr. Horrible Fans, for sure!
[/edit]

Last edited by minispace; 01-31-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Gamer

Bought it and playing it now, working perfectly fine for Windows 7 Just like it did back in the days on Win 98..
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Permanent Vacation

You know, I like the idea behind GOG. And I love Thief. But...

1. For that price, you can get a boxed copy of all three Thief games.

2. They hardly did any work on bringing the game up to date. Fans have done much more to increase compatibility with modern systems.

3. They included a fan-made soundtrack by Child of Karras without asking him or giving proper credit.

I AM DISAPPOINT
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Gamer

How much do you think they should have charged? $10 seems fair to me, for a digital copy of such a great game. It's bound to go on sale for a huge discount, at some point, anyway.

Child of Karras is indeed credited for the soundtrack--check the mp3 ID3 tags!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Permanent Vacation

I wouldn't call it proper credit though - nothing is mentioned on the site, and he wasn't contacted.

Aside from The Witcher 2, which is a special case, GOG has two price tags, $5,99 and $9,99. I'd expect either the $5,99 tag for TG, or a TG + TMA bundle for $9,99.

And really, a digital copy should be cheaper than a boxed one, and the Complete Collection goes for $9,99, not to mention the polish trilogy pack at around $2.

Yup, I can get all three Thief games five times cheaper than TG alone costs on GOG.

EDIT: Apologies have been issued for the soundtrack use:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/thief/soundtrack/post5
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2109822

Also, apparently one of the authors of ddfix works for GOG and they didn't know about it. So, maybe there's a chance for more support.

Last edited by Kodaemon; 02-01-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
Protagonist

$10 bucks for the ability to get the game whenever, wherever I want, never worry about the disks, have constant updating as new systems come out so it works, etc, etc sounds fine to me. There are benefits to having the game on GoG instead of a disk - and, given how cheap it still is, 10 bucks is a great price.

That and you forget how often GoG has sales, if you really want you can wait till it goes on sale and it's only 5 bucks, which is likely sometime in the next few months.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Gamer

Do the mods work with the gog game? Like the Ultimate difficulty mod? Improved textures etc?

I had so many problems running T1 and 2 on Win7 I made a dual boot for XP dedicated to Thief. Also - that meant there were no more conflicts between newer video codecs and the Thief friendly ones. Works like a dream but I have to reboot to play. A tiny price to pay!
I have played T1Gold, T2, T2X, CoSaS, many other FMs and TDS. I still play T2 and FMs today. When I am dying I will look back at how little I have done with my life and be glad at how much fun it was.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
Bought it and playing it now, working perfectly fine for Windows 7 Just like it did back in the days on Win 98..
Do the videos and everything else work without stuffing around? I have been thinking about getting it but I already own 4 copies of it and all need some sort of playing around to get it to work, If it works like it should then it's an instant buy for me.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Permanent Vacation

Everything, including videos, worked for me immediately after installation, on Win7 64bit.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodaemon View Post
Everything, including videos, worked for me immediately after installation, on Win7 64bit.
Yeah I took the plunge and bought it but nope it doesn't work at all. Crashes before it even starts, w7 64b
Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Permanent Vacation

Any specifics? I should mention it took about two minutes for me to start up the first time, I thought it froze, but then the menu suddenly appeared.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Any specifics? I should mention it took about two minutes for me to start up the first time, I thought it froze, but then the menu suddenly appeared.
Same, my screen went black. It then went over the different channels Analogue, HDMI 1, VGA and then back to HDMI 2 and it just popped up. Just started playing the Bonehoard mission again (: Very nice indeed.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Screen goes black then goes back to desktop with appcrash. I'm thinking it's from all the fixes I had from the other version of Thief gold.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Permanent Vacation

Could be, my system is a fresh december install, I haven't tried installing my other Thief copies on it yet.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Could be, my system is a fresh december install, I haven't tried installing my other Thief copies on it yet.
Fresh install of winblows and now it starts but crashes at videos hah
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Gamer

I got it and yeah, all works beautifully for me, videos and all! Marvellous stuff!

Forgotten how annoying the keybinds were on that first game.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
Forgotten how annoying the keybinds were on that first game.
True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerking View Post
Fresh install of winblows and now it starts but crashes at videos hah
Check out the support articles, and this link.
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/thief/videos_not_working