Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Default Got wood? It's forum competition numero tres. Prizes incl Nerd Machine merch! [ended]

It's competition time again!

(Short attention span? Don't fancy a long read? Click here for a super short summary of this comp.)

We absolutely loved seeing all the funny TR caption entries in our previous competition, but this time we'd like to do something that isn't SO TR centric and focus more on building up the community in a funny way.

So for this forum competition, we would like you all to get out your cameras, stiffen up and (have someone) take a photo of you planking. At home, on the street, at work, on your teacher's desk...go crazy! (But not reckless. Keep it safe! )

Can't go planking? Or simply don't want to? Fear not! This comp isn't just about planking. Just take a photo of you doing / referencing any internet meme (see a list here), and you'll have a shot at winning! And we also accept videos.

We'll leave the execution for the most part open to your own imagination and creativity, but in the second post of this thread you can see some examples to get your creative juices flowing.

!IMPORTANT! Whichever meme you decide to pick, the only condition is that you make it very clear that you took that photo especially for this forum competition. So for example, print out the Eidos logo and put it in the shot, or have a forum page on a display included in the photo, or include something Tomb Raider in your photo like holding up a magazine with Lara on the cover or place one of your Tomb Raider game discs in the shot of you planking, etc. !IMPORTANT!

How to enter:

Step 1: After you snapped your photo, upload the file using this link: http://driber.net/os/userpics/up/?toid=3

(Why this one? Because it makes organizing these contests easier and saves us all a lot of time. Read more here.)

Step 2: Post the generated [IMG] code in this thread, together with a short description of which meme you used (for those who are not familiar that particular meme).

And lastly, don't be afraid to be silly. The more silly your picture is, the better!

Does all of this sound like a bit of work compared to previous competitions? Perhaps, but then take a look at the awesome and exclusive free swag Meagan is willing to hand out in return this time...
THE PRIZES!

(click image to enlarge)

1st Place:
- Limited Edition "Day One" Print (containing photocopied autographs of Darrell Gallagher, Ron Rosenberg, Noah Hughes, Daniel Neuburger, Brian Horton, Karl Stewart, Kyle Peschel and Brenoch Adams - view sigs)
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration Nerd Machine Shirt (HOT! Only released a couple of hours ago on thenerdmachine.com with a limited run of only 1000 pieces!)
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration Nerd Machine Poster (^ ditto)
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration NYCC "The Depths" by Camilla d’Errico Mini-Print

2nd Place:
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration Nerd Machine Shirt
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration Nerd Machine Poster
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration NYCC "The Depths" by Camilla d’Errico Mini-Print

3rd Place:
- Tomb Raider 15-Year Celebration Nerd Machine Poster

How do I win?

- First and second prize winners will be picked by a jury.

- Third prize winner will be randomly picked instead of judged by a jury, by using random.org. This means that despite the jury's personal taste, every contestant has a chance of winning at least 1 set of prizes; the Nerd Machine Poster and the Camilla d’Errico Mini-Print.

The jury will consist of Eidos Forums staff members and/or Square Enix employees. The names of the jury members and their votes will be available once the winners have been announced.

The rules
  • You need to include something TR or something from this forum, to show us that you took the photo especially for this competition. !IMPORTANT!
  • No photoshopping. Your photo has to be real, so don't fake it by placing yourself into a different image.
  • Using photoshop (or other programs) to add only text onto the image in order to give it context, is allowed.
  • The competition is open to everyone; prizes will be shipped worldwide, for free. (Well, maybe not to Antarctica. Parcel tracking might be a bit difficult there )
  • The deadline for submitting entries is exactly 1 week since the time of posting this message. The new deadline is January 24th, 2012 at noon CET.
  • If we receive a low number of entries, we may extend the deadline.
  • Maximum 3 entries per person/household.
  • In the event of a tie, the person who posted first wins.
  • We reserve the right to limit first prize to members who have reached Gamer status on this forum. Don't have Gamer status yet? Don't worry, at the moment of posting this message, everyone still has 3 whole weeks to reach Gamer status before this competition closes. Spend some time here, join in the ongoing discussions and you'll be a Gamer in no time. Second and third prizes are open to all members, even those with only just 1 forum post.
  • Any entry which the forum staff deems inappropriate or not complying with the rules, will not qualify and will be removed from this thread.
  • Winners will be notified via PM and email. Winners must respond with their postal address within 2 weeks of being notified or else their prize may go to someone else.
  • Judges decisions are final.

Some things still unclear? Question about the rules? Suggestions for future competitions? Feel free to post your feedback and I'll try to reply as soon as possible

Good luck, everyone!

=== Forum competition history ===

JUL 2011: Want some cool Tomb Raider goodies? It's competition time!

AUG 2011: Competition time - Photoshop caption fun. Win an exclusive poster and GI mag!

Previous competition winners and their prizes:

This competition in a nutshell: Make a photo of yourself planking or another internet meme. Include something from the Eidos forum or something from Tomb Raider in the shot (IMPORTANT!) to show that you took the photo especially for this competition. Upload images only using this link and then post the image in this thread. Keep your entry clean and in good taste and in accordance with our forum rules.

Small print:
1. Winners will be notified within 52 days of closing date by e-mail or Private Message on http://forums.eidosgames.com/. 2. A list of winners, including names and country, will be available within 6 weeks of competition closing. These can be obtained by sending a Stamped Addressed Envelope to the Promoter (see 9 below). 3. Square Enix Europe accept no responsibility for entries/prizes lost or distorted in transmission. 4. There is no cash alternative to the prizes. 5. Square Enix Europe reserves the right to substitute prizes with others of at least equivalent value. 6. Competition not open to employees of Square Enix Europe, their agents and suppliers. 7. The Promoter's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to. 8. No purchase necessary. 9. The competition promoter is Square Enix Europe, Wimbledon Bridge House, 1 Hartfield Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 3RU.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Last edited by Driber; 01-03-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: slightly re-wrote the post (no rules have been changed) + extended the deadline
Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Default Got wood? It's forum competition numero tres. Prizes include hot Nerd Machine merch!

Here are the entries that we received so far, for inspiration:

Planking by jakobsen

(click image to enlarge)

Nyan Cat infiltrating TR collection by MeaganMarie (fake entry just to show an example)

(click image to enlarge)

Trollface by dark7angel

(click image to enlarge)

Stocking by jakobsen

(click image to enlarge)

Trollface by d1n0_xD

(click image to enlarge)

Lolcat by dark7angel

(click image to enlarge)

Stocking by tombraider_93

(click image to enlarge)

Occupy Wall Street by 2kool4u

(click image to enlarge)

Planking by kitten5001991

(click image to enlarge)

Bunchie by shawnathezombie

(click image to enlarge)

Trollface by tombraider_93

(click image to enlarge)

Stocking by tombraider_93

(click image to enlarge)

Batmanning by jakobsen

(click image to enlarge)

Peanut Butter Jelly Time by Driber

(click image to enlarge)

O RLY? by aragorn2

(click image to enlarge)

Demotivational poster / Rage Guy by a big house

(click image to enlarge)

Lolcat by a big house

(click image to enlarge)

Moneyface by Treeble

(click image to enlarge)

Trollface by Darkwoodsoftime

(click image to enlarge)

Arrow In The Knee by d1n0_xD

(click image to enlarge)

"Seriously McDonalds" by Driber

(click image to enlarge)

"Obama Rage Face" by d1n0_xD

(click image to enlarge)

"It's over 9000" by a big house

(click image to enlarge)

"Rage guy" by Henderi_ci

(click image to enlarge)

"Joe Cartoon's Gerbil in a Microwave" by gtsola95

(click image to enlarge)

Arrow In The Knee by Jerion

(click image to enlarge)

Last edited by Driber; 01-24-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Gamer

OH NO !

Why not a mini poster of Into the Darkness ?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Into the Darkness.......let me guess, that's from FE?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Order of the Vine

Awesome contest!
Good luck to everyone who enters.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Protagonist

The Darkness? Surely he must mean...

{removed}

Last edited by Driber; 11-05-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that video contains nudity...
Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Gamer

Default Don't Plank And Drive! (planking)

This is reshoot of first try! (1 to 1 only with TR stuff)
First time I forgot to add Eidos or TR related stuff.

(click image to enlarge)

Last edited by jakobsen; 11-20-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Big Bad Wolf

Wow, this is going to be awkward, explaining to my sister why I need her camera and her taking picture of me

Btw, nice planking, jakobsen ^^

Edit: And Driber, I think what FE had in mind was one of those pics which name is 'Into the Darkness'
Old 11-05-2011, 12:45 PM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Wow, awesome planking, jakobsen!

The very first entry and already spot-on!

I don't see the required Eidos forum or TR reference in your shot, though. Or am I missing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
Awesome contest!
Good luck to everyone who enters.
You're not telling me you won't enter yourself, are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1n0_xD View Post
Wow, this is going to be awkward, explaining to my sister why I need her camera and her taking picture of me
LOL I bet

Well....I guess as long as you're not going to ask her to take a pic of you posing as Samwell, I think you'll be fine

Old 11-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Protagonist

Driber,

If you consider Justin's chest to be 'nudity', then yes, I suppose the video contains 'nudity'. Otherwise, not so far as I know. Though I have to admit I haven't actually WATCHED it in years...

Are male chests considered 'nudity' for purposes of the forum, then? (For future reference, so I know...)
Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
Driber,

If you consider Justin's chest to be 'nudity', then yes, I suppose the video contains 'nudity'. Otherwise, not so far as I know. Though I have to admit I haven't actually WATCHED it in years...

Are male chests considered 'nudity' for purposes of the forum, then? (For future reference, so I know...)
Oh no, was not referring to a male's chest. I'm not that uptight, LOL.

I'm referring to bare women's breasts, showing nipples and all. Maybe you should indeed watch that music video again

Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driber View Post
Oh no, was not referring to a male's chest. I'm not that uptight, LOL.

I'm referring to bare women's breasts, showing nipples and all. Maybe you should indeed watch it again
EEK! And I thought I deliberately picked one of their tamer vids! Sorry about that, Driber! Must be an unedited version or something! Mea culpa...
Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Wow, awesome planking, jakobsen!

The very first entry and already spot-on!

I don't see the required Eidos forum or TR reference in your shot, though. Or am I missing it?
Now its redone, and I have peace of mind.

Last edited by jakobsen; 11-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
EEK! And I thought I deliberately picked one of their tamer vids! Sorry about that, Driber! Must be an unedited version or something! Mea culpa...
No problem, I figured it was probably a mistake. Please remember to screen what you post next time, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobsen View Post
Sorry, I forgot to open closet a little
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...n/IMG_2702.jpg

Driber, do my plank counts?
Hmmm okay, together with that second image, I'll declare your entry valid, hehe. It looked like a pretty tricky planking and wouldn't want you to re-shoot and then possibly get hurt...

I'll just move your second pic to your first post, otherwise you'd have a "double ticket" for the random pick of third prize.

Can you tell me why you didn't include it in your first pic? Did you miss that part in the contest instructions or did you simply forget?

Just asking so that I know if I should edit the text to emphasize that part or not

Last edited by Driber; 11-06-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Gamer

Quote:
It looked like a pretty tricky planking and wouldn't want you to re-shoot and then possibly get hurt...

I'll just move your second pic to your first post, otherwise you'd have a "double ticket" for the random pick of third prize.

Can you tell me why you didn't include it in your first pic? Did you miss that part in the contest instructions or did you simply forget?

Just asking so that I know if I should edit the text to emphasize that part or not
Thanks, I really didn't want to re-shoot that picture, it was very scary since bike wasn't fixed into position. (But if I had to, I would do it again )

It was my fault, I missed that part that I need to include Eidos or TR related stuff After re reading rules, I don't understand how I could miss that part )
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

I've added a high-res image of the competition prizes to the first post.

The Nerd Machine T-shirt images are also much bigger and show more detail than on the website.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobsen View Post
Thanks, I really didn't want to re-shoot that picture, it was very scary since bike wasn't fixed into position. (But if I had to, I would do it again )

It was my fault, I missed that part that I need to include Eidos or TR related stuff After re reading rules, I don't understand how I could miss that part )
Thanks for clarifying, jakobsen

I've edited the first post and highlighted that paragraph, to draw more attention.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
CrystalD Community Manager
Eidos Official

Holy cow! Nice planking! That looks a little scary.

Here is my fake entry into the contest! Nyan cat is now taped to Lara's face at my desk. I find it funny.

(click image to enlarge)
Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Hero

Speaking of that photo, Meagan.... I thought Karl said you weren't going to get your grubby paws around that Survivor fan sculpture yet I can't help but notice it found its way... does Karl know? lol

I'd love to participate but I don't have what it takes to practice planking (yes I know it's parkour for the lazy, but it's still not "lazy" enough for someone as lazy as me...). I could give owling a shot though. hmm
Old 11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
CrystalD Community Manager
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
Speaking of that photo, Meagan.... I thought Karl said you weren't going to get your grubby paws around that Survivor fan sculpture yet I can't help but notice it found its way... does Karl know? lol

I'd love to participate but I don't have what it takes to practice planking (yes I know it's parkour for the lazy, but it's still not "lazy" enough for someone as lazy as me...). I could give owling a shot though. hmm
I always get what I want. -_-
Old 11-08-2011, 01:24 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Guys, guys....3 days and only 1 entry!?

What's keeping everyone?

I thought those awesome prizes Meagan secured for this competition would surely give us a wave of pictures during the first few days.

Is everyone camera shy?

There is really a huge list of memes to choose from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
Owling, Teapotting, Horsemaning, Batmanning, or any other kind of internet meme will do to enter this contest

That was clear from my first post, wasn't it? That contestants aren't limited to just planking and that doing or referencing any internet meme is allowed, I mean?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Protagonist

Honestly? No camera; no camera phone. Not keen on putting my pic online, anyway. So I'm skipping this comp.

(And for future reference, if there's a cartoon one, will entries using XNA Lara count? I can't draw to save my life, but...)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Archaeologist

I have no camera (mine broke), so I had to use my laptop's webcam, which means bad quality... hope it's ok!

I drew the troll face myself!!! XD
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

hehe, nice, dark7angel

If you didn't point it out, I'd have thought that was a printed out troll face

Quote:
Honestly? No camera; no camera phone. Not keen on putting my pic online, anyway. So I'm skipping this comp.
Aww that's a shame you don't have any camera available. Not even one of your friends of family members can help you out?

I understand you don't want to be in the shot (and sympathize; I myself also don't put pics of myself online), but that's not necessary. Did you see Meagan's example? She's showing only her arm, which would be acceptable enough. We don't require your whole body to be recognizable in the photo if you're camera shy

Quote:
(And for future reference, if there's a cartoon one, will entries using XNA Lara count? I can't draw to save my life, but...)
You mean a comic? Yeah, I suppose if you can't draw, using XNA Lara to create your cartoon would be acceptable

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Protagonist

Cartoon strip. 'Comic', to me, implies a good few pages, not just 4-5 panels

But I'm pretty sure we're on the same page
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Well, don't want to come off pedantic, but IMO a comic is usually those few panels, whereas a cartoon is usually 1 image (Danish cartoons, anyone? )

And something consisting of multiple pages is usually called a comic book.

But either way; yeah, we're on the same page now, indeed