Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 01-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Gamer

Default "American Teen Music"

What do u think about "teen music" in america. U know (Britney Spears, NSYNC ) What kind of music do u like?
Old 01-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Vampiric Lady of the Sith
Eidos Moderator

Lightbulb

I personally think "American Teen Music" is a joke. It had its fifteen minutes of fame and appears to be slowly working its way out of the spotlight. (On account that it's no longer appealing to a teen audience).

Brittney Spears hasn't done much with her career lately (in comparision to when she was really huge). Pepsi dropped her as their spokeswoman and she's going out of her way to appear more as an adult-oriented pop star as opposed to directing herself to the teenagers that put the money in her pocket in the first place. (I mean that teenagers were the majority of her audience).

NSYNC is spending more time focusing on solo careers and acting endeavors now than being the typical boy-band they were before. And I really haven't heard much on the Backstreet Boys lately either.

(Keep in mind that I am merely stating that these examples believe it is time for a change in their own styles and have taken steps to change them).

Teen music I feel, is shifting from the pop-types that I stated above into the skater-punk-type music (examples are Avril Lavigne, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte etc.) which appear to be on the rise lately.

American-teen music did this before when it was out with New Kids on the Block and in with Kurt Cobain and the grunge movement of the early '90's. Give it about five or so years and it will change yet again. That's the beauty of the music industry. (Keeps you entertained and provides variety). Lest we not forget when Rock and Roll was replaced by the Disco Movement of the 70's as the latest fad.

My personal preference in music ranges to anything, from metal to goth/industrial to a little bit of rap and pop, classical, techno, disco, blues and good old rock and roll.

There are certain appeals in each musical genre. Here's where the endless debate of which genre is great and which is crap comes into play. My favorite band happens to be Rammstein, I know that a lot of individuals (not necessarily in the forums mind you) don't agree with my view of them being an excellent band. Some people might think Christina Aguleria might be the greatest thing next to sliced bread, I don't agree with that view either.

It all boils down to being "to each their own" I suppose.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Gamer

Default wow

wow someone actually agrees
Old 01-14-2003, 06:04 PM
Gamer

Default amber has something to say to yall

My friend says: "Hi I'm Mac Angels friend. Pleese excuse mey baad speeling(yes, I did do that on purpose). I personally don't like pop music very much. I like the catchy beat though. I do admire all the pop artists, though. I know how hard they had to work to get where they are(not from experience).(amber)"
Old 01-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Vampiric Lady of the Sith
Eidos Moderator

Lightbulb Amber already said her peace.

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAngel
My friend says: "Hi I'm Mac Angels friend. Pleese excuse mey baad speeling(yes, I did do that on purpose). I personally don't like pop music very much. I like the catchy beat though. I do admire all the pop artists, though. I know how hard they had to work to get where they are(not from experience).(amber)"
Kindly use the EDIT feature as opposed to posting another response.

As far as boy-bands and other collages of "American Teen Pop" icons. It's merely taking an episode of the Real World and teaching them to sing how their agents want them to sing. LOL

In case you didn't get my little subject-heading, my name is also Amber.

Old 01-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Gamer

If we were allowed to swear on this forum, I'd post a better reply than this one.
That's all I have to say about American Teen Music.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Ex-Admin

I am not convinced that swearing improves the quality of a statement. But anyway, HikingBoots, sorry for limiting your self expression. Sorry, exuse us.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Protagonist

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by HikingBoots
If we were allowed to swear on this forum, I'd post a better reply than this one.
That's all I have to say about American Teen Music.
Don't be sorry HB, I think that statement said it all!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
My personal preference in music ranges to anything, from metal to goth/industrial to a little bit of rap and pop, classical, techno, disco, blues and good old rock and roll.

...My favourite band happens to be Rammstein...
Ditto. Nice to see someone else who agrees with TLF's taste in music for once, as opposed to the constant "Ugh, you listen to goth music??" she gets nearly every day in school. Speaking of which: since when were Abba considered "goth"?

As for "teen music"; TLF hates it. True, she can often be heard listening to or singing the songs, but that's because they're catchy. They're designed to be catchy, simply so teens will buy them. It's that part that she hates: the songs, the bands, everything about it is so manufactured they might as well stamp "WARNING: high plastic content: keep away from children, teenagers and idiots." on all the CDs. There is virtually no originality or talent whatsoever involved. And on top of that, a lot of the teen music artists are under the impression that they *are* talented and original. Just look at Avril Lavinge. She thinks she's a hard-core punk rocker who's a good role-model, when in reality she's just a victim of the manufactured music industry, as are all the girls who model themselves after her.

TLF'll stick to originality, thanks.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by GoranAgar
I am not convinced that swearing improves the quality of a statement. But anyway, HikingBoots, sorry for limiting your self expression. Sorry, exuse us.
In a way, you are right. But, as Umah put it, "To each his own." The only part I would have said was going to be that it's a bunch of bull poo, but that's it.