Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Gamer

Default DLC: "THE MISSING LINK" -General Discussion & Q&As /UPDATES see 1st post on 1st page

Quote:
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During Adam's quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

-New layers of conspiracy unveiled
-Sprawling new environments
-Brand-new characters to interact with
-Rebuild Adam's augmentation set from scratch. Build up a brand new Adam!

What is The Missing Link? You'll find out soon...
http://www.deusex.com/?func=rss

08 September 2011

Quote:
The Deus Ex: Human Revolution conspiracy grows deeper in The Missing Link. During lead character Adam Jensenís quest for the truth in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, he mysteriously vanishes for three days. Where was he? What did he find out? The Missing Link reveals it all.

"We are very excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution fans to be able to complete Adamís journey in the game with The Missing Link DLC," said David Anfossi, producer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution at Eidos-Montreal. "Gamers will be able to experience a vulnerable side of Adam like never before, which gives the overall game a whole new dimension. The Missing Link propels players into compelling gameplay, beginning with Adam being stripped of his use of augmentations, new, visually stunning environments and the continuation of Deus Ex: Human Revolutionís conspiracy rich story.Ē

After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, gamers will befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events of Deus Ex: Human Revolution!

__

FURTHER UPDATES/MODERATOR EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickshot101 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYUqbdusNY

Deus Ex Human Revolution - The Missing Link first look, so far seems good. Going to have to play a bit more to get into the real action though. Def more to come of this. People complaining about the price are idiots. This is the best single player fps/tactical game of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYUqbdusNY

COMPUTER SPECS

*Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Tower: Cooler Master 690
*Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3ghz OC'ed to 4.7ghz
*Ram: 8GB 1600mhz g.skill ripjaws
*Graphics Card: Ati 6850 x2 crossfire Oc'ed to 930/1150
*Mother Board: Asus P8P67
*Power Supply: Antec current gamer 620watt
*Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thales100 View Post
Please check the 3D Gallery here - http://widescreengamingforum.com/node/17960 , hope you enjoy, great game.
__

Q&As

Q:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumoftwosins View Post
I know the PC version of the DLC is launched separately, but does it pull any save information?
I know they say you'll get to reshape your character, but are they just estimating how many praxis points your should have or do you get the exact amount as your character had before the DLC story?

What about inventory? When I retrieve my gear, is it just random stuff or what I had before?
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenithtb View Post
It's a total restart - nothing from original games is taken into consideration...
Consider it a new game... No stats, no gear, just what's provided in the DLC. Which is not taken over into the original game...

Last edited by Viktoria; 11-05-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added updates
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Gamer

And more importantly whats the price ?.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reven View Post
And more importantly whats the price ?.
We won't know until this page goes online.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Gamer

Ugh...that doesn't sound so interesting. I was hoping for something that continued the story, post-ending. I just felt like Adam was asleep in that trip anyways....oh well, as long as it's fun.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Gamer

Can I say "I told you so" now? Please? No?... Aww...
This announcement was supposed to go up on the 8th?
So I guess there still is more ARG to come.
Whatever the price I'll BUY IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNukemXVIII View Post
Ugh...that doesn't sound so interesting. I was hoping for something that continued the story, post-ending. I just felt like Adam was asleep in that trip anyways....oh well, as long as it's fun.
How is it possible to have a DLC happen after the ending of a game, if the said game has multiple endings? That would negate the final decision made by the player.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Gamer

I hope this isn't released too soon. They need to wait long enough so there isn't a "why the hell wasn't this included in release!?" feeling about it. But hey, I'm excited. Hope it integrates itself into a playthrough like the Mass Effect DLC, and is of a reasonable length. Best thing to make this game better is more of it, so bring it on!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
I hope this isn't released too soon. They need to wait long enough so there isn't a "why the hell wasn't this included in release!?" feeling about it. But hey, I'm excited. Hope it integrates itself into a playthrough like the Mass Effect DLC, and is of a reasonable length. Best thing to make this game better is more of it, so bring it on!
I'm wondering if we'll need to keep our savefiles for this?

Maybe this DLC will be accessed through an option in the menu, without the need of loading up a savefile, which makes sense considering you don't have any augmentations at the start of this DLC.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Nothing can be added to a game after it goes gold, which is quite a bit before release, so most cases where people think that 'they should've just added this into the release', the dlc has been worked on for some time after the possibility of it being put into the release has ended.

This, of course, ignores CoD and other money grabbers where they probably did just hold back maps. :P
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Gamer

Damn so no more ARG then
Gamer

If the devs read this please release all the cut content from the game and gimmie my remaining 20 hours.......
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
I'm wondering if we'll need to keep our savefiles for this?

Maybe this DLC will be accessed through an option in the menu, without the need of loading up a savefile, which makes sense considering you don't have any augmentations at the start of this DLC.
Now I think about it this is probably the more likely option. Because I mentioned Mass Effect...but you could access that DLC anytime you chose to throughout the story. Whereas this will be from a very specific place, so it would make sense to 'select' it. And as you say, they won't have to worry about loading in your augmentations that way.

Not ideal, from my POV anyway. I'd rather just have it extend the story on my next playthrough, but I imagine for most people loading it up independently would make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete278
Nothing can be added to a game after it goes gold, which is quite a bit before release, so most cases where people think that 'they should've just added this into the release', the dlc has been worked on for some time after the possibility of it being put into the release has ended.
I know, I work in QA You just always worry especially if it's released soon afterwards, "Did you work on this after the game was submitted or did you hold it back?" There's one title at least I know of from my experience that actually submitted the retail game and DLC to the console manufacturers at the same time. So it was ready and could easily been incorporated into the game from day 1, but it was held back for business reasons.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM
New Player

Wait, the DLC releases the 8th?. Or the official announcement for the DLC releases the 8th?

Anyway, I'm buying it. Hopefully the price is around the $7 mark.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Denton View Post
If the devs read this please release all the cut content from the game and gimmie my remaining 20 hours.......
They don't owe you anything.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
They don't owe you anything.
Never said they did. I simply asked with a please and an assertive 20 hours......
Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
New Player

announce DLC for a recently released game, you'd gotta be *** kidding
this thing better be free or i'm gonna start regretting that i bought it
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyder View Post
announce DLC for a recently released game, you'd gotta be *** kidding
this thing better be free or i'm gonna start regretting that i bought it
Yeah, because this stuff is cheap to make, right?

I wondered how long before the "Corporate brigade" rolled in.

Edit: I love how typing 4*s got the censor, but trying two very offensive words before that didn't, forcing me to edit!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Gamer

"We are very excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution fans to be able to complete Adam’s journey"
Shamelessly admitting that the DLC is to let you complete the story.
I don't really agree with DLC, alot of it is stuff that easily could have been left in the game (Tong DLC mission, I know it was because of Gamestop, but it took me literally 15 minutes to finish). But this is the first game in years that I can honestly say was worth the price. So this ONE time I'll probably buy it, if the price isn't ridiculous.

Also, if you're gonna do DLC. AT LEAST GIVE ME A MONTREAL/UPPER HENG SHA HUB.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Gamer

Quote:

Edit: I love how typing 4*s got the censor, but trying two very offensive words before that didn't, forcing me to edit!
If it's just content they cut from the game than it was already in the budget that went into the games initial development and no additional R&D capital had to be allocated to release content that was already developed, but cut from the final product.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Gamer

I don't usually buy DLC. I got the Mass Effect 2 ones, at least Lair of the Shadowbroker and Overlord. Both of which were well worth the asking price. A lot of DLC is pretty crap though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Denton
If it's just content they cut from the game than it was already in the budget that went into the games initial development and no additional R&D capital had to be allocated to release content that was already developed, but cut from the final product.
It's very possible that they were forced to cut it early due to time constraints, and it's spent an extra month being tested and having bug fixes applied. Sometimes it is just corporate money-milking selling cut content. Other times it is developed after the game's release and thus costs more, so it's reasonable for them to sell it. Another common scenario is content that was incomplete when the game went in for submission, and more costs were incurred finishing it off. So they kind of have to sell it to make those costs back (and preferably a profit as well).
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Protagonist

Quote:

Reminds me of that Southwest Airlines commercial:

Executive: We can't afford to do this stuff for free. [Fees] are personnel on the telephone, personnel on...on the desk. It's....it's personnel on the telephone...

Give it a rest. Cutting content from a game's release and selling it to you for another $10 is an industry-standard strategy to get more of your cash. There is no other motive than $$$$, plain and simple.

If that doesn't piss you off, then pay for it and be happy. EM hasn't even got my $55-60 for the main game yet, so obviously they won't be getting an extra $___ for any DLC.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Gamer

Quote:
I don't usually buy DLC. I got the Mass Effect 2 ones, at least Lair of the Shadowbroker and Overlord. Both of which were well worth the asking price. A lot of DLC is pretty crap though.
I agree, a lot of DLC is asinine. Speaking of ME2 I got all the content, and still can't get my crew all loyal!!! Pissing me off!!! And I am complete Renegade!!!! ARGH!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Gamer

The news is "officially" on the site now, and it's dated for October. The site for the DLC is still down, tho.

http://deusex.com/news/The-Missing-Link

-New layers of conspiracy unveiled
-Sprawling new environments
-Brand-new characters to interact with
Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Gamer

Quote:
This is an interesting one. I mean in the sense that... is that really the kind of thing you want to market? "Hey, you know all that work you put into upgrading your Augmentations? Give us your money for this DLC, and we'll take those augmentations away at no extra cost!"
Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
This is an interesting one. I mean in the sense that... is that really the kind of thing you want to market? "Hey, you know all that work you put into upgrading your Augmentations? Give us your money for this DLC, and we'll take those augmentations away at no extra cost!"
Or, you could look at it as a way to placate those asking about respeccing Adam. I've seen a few of those types of questions here.

But ya know, it's really no different than JC waking up in the MJ12 facility under UNATCO minus all *his* weapons.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordasm View Post
"We are very excited for Deus Ex: Human Revolution fans to be able to complete Adam’s journey"
Shamelessly admitting that the DLC is to let you complete the story.
Exactly what I thought. I've mentioned it before on here, but as soon as I saw that "three days later" screen in the main game, I thought "Well, I bet there will be DLC there."

Yeah, yeah, DLC is a part of the "modern gaming industry", everyone does it, etc etc. I didn't expect EM to be this shameless about it though: this is almost on par with Assassin's Creed 2's "THESE MEMORIES ARE CORRUPTED" bit. Being honest, I was never going to have a positive reaction to DLC announced this close to release, but in this case it's not helped by the fact that the second half of the game feels so rushed, and it's obvious that they've cut a lot of what they originally planned out and loosely stitched together what's left. That's acceptable for time reasons, and admittedly they way they've put it back together, while not exactly brilliant, isn't as terrible as it could be either. But to then reintroduce the very same stuff they've obviously cut and (presumably) ask us to pay extra to play it is, IMO, taking the piss. Predicting it now: we'll have DLC that gives some proper closure on the relationship between Adam and Megan, the way it's left in the main game is too abrupt and obviously not finished.

If we've got to have DLC, I'd much rather it's something completely new, which would never have been part of the main game: a side story featuring another character (Ben Saxon or Anna Kelso would be great!) for instance, or a prequel that shows us the early corporate espionage between Sarif Industries and TYM, or something where you (perhaps unwittingly) help Bob Page establish MJ12....or any number of ideas. Just not something that slots within the main storyline.