Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Gamer

Default Foxiest of Hounds. How exactly does it work?

"Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without setting off any alarms".

Does that just pertain to audible alarms that are triggered by those greenish wall-mounted things? Or is it the enemy "alerted" stage they enter even if they hear footsteps? If a camera sees me and I get "suspicious", is it automatically over?

Or is it only a "Hostile" reaction that denies me the achievement?

Is "Smooth Operator" the mission bonus related to this (i.e. if I get Smooth Operator every time, am I golden?)?

Lots of questions since the feedback about this is pretty non-existent. I'd love to hear from someone who either has gotten the achievement already or possesses actual knowledge of the mechanic. There's enough "theories" about it floating around.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Alarm panels

Okay, so I just got this achievement. I tested it out a few times, and here's what I found. The achievement has nothing to do with enemies becoming 'Alarmed' or 'Hostile'. It has to do with enemies setting off alarms after becoming aware of you, i.e. using the alarm panels to trigger the alarm.

As you asked before, if you get smooth operator all the time, are you golden? Yes, pretty much. You can be seen by turrets and bots (or fired at by them), and as long as that doesn't alert a guard and cause him to go to an alarm panel and successfully set it off, you're fine.

If the alarm is tripped as part of a scripted event, you're also fine. I even fought off all the troops to save Malik in this run through.

I think the wording in the achievement was a little vague, but it basically means exactly what it says. Don't let anyone set off any alarms.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 AM
Gamer

I am about to do this achievement and was wondering one thing.

If a fail a hack attempt at a computer for example. When I mean fail I mean the FIREWALL or whatever it is tries to track me (after I failed to capture a nod) and the countdown timer begins, BUT I exit the computer (before the timer reaches zero) and try again.

Will this count as 'setting off an alarm' therefore failing this achievement or am I still safe?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Gamer

You have to get smooth operator, whenever possible. Don't sound ANY alarms. That includes ones set of by hacking, by turrets, and camera's ,and ofcourse, guards. There are a few scripted alarm sequences, but they don't count.
Here's a list of the levels where you can get the smooth operator bonus

Old 09-05-2011, 06:12 AM
New Player

Wait a minute.

The achievement isn't for setting no alarms off but for getting the Smooth Operator bonus on all possible missions. So being sensible and talking my way into the police station doesn't count as I won’t get the bonus.

Thank Eidos for the very ambiguous wording of this achievement.

It states no alarms and I got no Alarms. I want my achievement. I deserve my achievement.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlonShakes View Post
Wait a minute.

The achievement isn't for setting no alarms off but for getting the Smooth Operator bonus on all possible missions. So being sensible and talking my way into the police station doesn't count as I won’t get the bonus.
If you talk your way in, that doesn't count as a mission that it's possible to get Smooth Operator on. I talked my way into the police station on my first run and still got Foxiest of the Hounds. If you didn't get the achievement, you must have set off an alarm and not noticed. It's easy enough to do - there are certain areas in Highland Park, for instance, where you can't hear the alarm sound and so may not be aware that it's going off.

Overall though, I really don't see why this achievement is confusing so many people.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
If you talk your way in, that doesn't count as a mission that it's possible to get Smooth Operator on. I talked my way into the police station on my first run and still got Foxiest of the Hounds. If you didn't get the achievement, you must have set off an alarm and not noticed. It's easy enough to do - there are certain areas in Highland Park, for instance, where you can't hear the alarm sound and so may not be aware that it's going off.

Overall though, I really don't see why this achievement is confusing so many people.
If that's the case I think I know where I went wrong.

I have a save all the way back to the port so I'll run through on easy to see if it works
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Gamer

I know where i ed up that achievement. It was at Picus level where you have to wait for that big elevator or whatever it was called. I was planting mines etc there and went hostile but still non-lethal there but it seems you need to hide there to get smooth operator.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I know where i ed up that achievement. It was at Picus level where you have to wait for that big elevator or whatever it was called. I was planting mines etc there and went hostile but still non-lethal there but it seems you need to hide there to get smooth operator.
Nope, I took out the hostiles in that area non-lethally without the alarm being sounded. You can also hack the alarm panel there to stop enemies using it - I didn't do so (forgot, rather than anything else) but it would certainly help a lot.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post

Thanks, and how does the final chapter work, with all those augmented guys gone crazy because of the chip? The zombies so to speak? Do they influence the trophy?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski2000 View Post
Thanks, and how does the final chapter work, with all those augmented guys gone crazy because of the chip? The zombies so to speak? Do they influence the trophy?
I'm pretty sure they can't set off alarms....I'm not even sure if there are any alarm panels in the last level for them to activate. There's definitely a turret though, and I believe that if that sees you, it'll set off an alarm. Other than the turret though, which is easy to disable, I just blasted through Panchea (non-lethally, though I can't see that it would make a difference) without worrying about being stealthy, and still got the achievement.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Gamer

I'm doing my attempt at this and I dont really get this smooth operator and ghost business, I guess ghost is harder to obtain as it gives 500xp to smooth's 250 but I dont know what the criteria for either is.

The achievment I assume means pyshical alarms being set off, but I think I much mucked this up and Pacifist in the hangar after confronting Zoah as one of the mechs went hostile on me.

Either way I aint too concerned as its only a criteria but I think a stats page at the end of level would have cleared a lot of confusion up for some people and sounds a bit buggy for others too.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Gamer

SPOILERS AHEAD

I got this achievement yesterday an Deux Ex difficulty. Here are some of my observations:

You can kill everyone in the Tutorial (before you get your augementations), but it will void the Pacifist achievement if you are going for it in the same run.

You can save Malik, it will not ruin Foxiest

You don't have to get Smooth Operator on every mission where it is available. I got it like 4 or 5 times, tops. Didn't get it in the Police Station, FEMA, Picus and TYM. If you are 100% sure that you did not raise any alarms, you are fine. Don't worry too much. Seems glitched to me.

Before you get to Tong the second time (before heading off to the Harbour/Omega Ranch) enemys are likely to go hostile, kill/knock them out quickly and everything is fine. To clarify: the Enemys in the Cityhub, not inside the building.

Save often! I cannot stress this enough. If you are clumsy like me, you will start certain passages over and over again...

Cloak 3/3 and faster energy regeneration are your best friends, along with hacking.

On the Final Mission (Panchaia?) you can kill everyone, they will not raise alarms. Just avoid the Boxguard and turrets/cameras. I did not check wether they will ruin foxiest or not, but better save than sorry.

I hope my post helped somebody.

Last edited by likta; 09-06-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Gamer

If you don't want to set off alarms, just don't be seen.... Ever.

Like so: http://www.youtube.com/goliathvt#gri...417A92D36DA2CA

On topic: Thanks for the clarifications on the mechanics.