Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR Technical Forum

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 AM
Gamer

Default "You must be running Steam client to play Human Revolution."

I had preloaded the game the day before, and have verifyed the game cache multiple times, and still i get this whenever i click on Play after getting the option to Play or Set Up Deus Ex. What could be the cause? And it's not the atiadlxy.dll thats the problem, because I have an ATI graphics card.

I mean, I'm attempting to re-install the game now, but if it still doesn't work...

Any other suggestions? (Cuz I feel like I haven't gotten any concrete answers on this, and I'd be pretty pissed that I dropped 45 bucks on this game and can't *** play it)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSorryOldHorse View Post
I had preloaded the game the day before, and have verifyed the game cache multiple times, and still i get this whenever i click on Play after getting the option to Play or Set Up Deus Ex. What could be the cause? And it's not the atiadlxy.dll thats the problem, because I have an ATI graphics card.

I mean, I'm attempting to re-install the game now, but if it still doesn't work...

Any other suggestions? (Cuz I feel like I haven't gotten any concrete answers on this, and I'd be pretty pissed that I dropped 45 bucks on this game and can't *** play it)
We're trying to find out the cause of this..

Have you tried exiting fully out of steam, browsing to the app folder and running the exe there, see what msg it gives then..
Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Gamer

when I tried doing that last night, I kept getting the same message. I'll have to check it out later once the game's re-installed, because I figure maybe a file was missing from the pre-load, so Id try that.

So after reinstalling the game and trying to click Play from Steam, still doesn't work and get the same message.

After going to the Steamapps file and clicking dxhr.exe to play, still doesn't work and get the same message.

Edit: Going to try a different approach, and reinstall Steam itself and see if that works

Last edited by Viktoria; 03-14-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: merged double post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM
New Player

I just got that and I've been playing for a while , exiting steam completely and restarting it fixed the problem
Old 08-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

Do you have the `steamservice` running on your machine, check under task manager/services.. Its possible for some reason the service hasnt started..

Do you UAC disabled? try enabling it when you install steam.. ensure its given proper elevation
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Gamer

This is weird...I completely restarted it like magisd suggested, including removing it from the desktop tray in the lower right. i go to start it up, click to Play, and it doesn't give me that message anymore, but it still won't load. Validated the cache, clicked play and still won't. Steam Client Service is running in my task manager...where is the UAC and how do I enable it?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSorryOldHorse View Post
This is weird...I completely restarted it like magisd suggested, including removing it from the desktop tray in the lower right. i go to start it up, click to Play, and it doesn't give me that message anymore, but it still won't load. Validated the cache, clicked play and still won't. Steam Client Service is running in my task manager...where is the UAC and how do I enable it?
Its within the user section of control panel..
Old 08-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Eidos Technical Support

Do you have any anti-virus, or other security software running that could be actively "checking" files? If so, try disabling them and see if it makes any change?

So long as you know your username and password for your Steam Account, you could also try the following to delete the Steam file: clientregistry.blob

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7241-EYON-2343
Square Enix Support North America
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycw2309 View Post
Its within the user section of control panel..
I already changed this once before and it didn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidos Support View Post
Do you have any anti-virus, or other security software running that could be actively "checking" files? If so, try disabling them and see if it makes any change?

So long as you know your username and password for your Steam Account, you could also try the following to delete the Steam file: clientregistry.blob

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7241-EYON-2343
also deleted the clientregistery.blob file and it gave me 'the game is currently not available, please try again another time."

it also likes to alternate between that and "Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already running on this computer, but cannot switch to it. This is probably caused by the game running for a different user." when it clearly isn't. that one is gotten from running the dxhr.exe file as an administrator.

It makes no sense how it morphs from one problem into another -_-
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM
New Player

hi OldHorse,

Were you able to resolve your problem? I have a very similar problem..Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already running on this computer, but cannot switch to it. This is probably caused by the game running for a different user.

Tried everything....reinstalling, restarting, switching off every other program, running as admin, updating drivers, etc.....all the same, haven't been able to even start the game till now.

Please let me know. thanks
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlasheddeer View Post
hi OldHorse,

Were you able to resolve your problem? I have a very similar problem..Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already running on this computer, but cannot switch to it. This is probably caused by the game running for a different user.

Tried everything....reinstalling, restarting, switching off every other program, running as admin, updating drivers, etc.....all the same, haven't been able to even start the game till now.

Do you have multiple users on your machine? have you logged out of all users if you do?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 PM
New Player

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the quick reply. No, that's the weird part, I don't have any other users. Just one user account (which is the admin account). I've even checked the task manager showing processes for all users, nothing related to DE shows up.

This error comes up only if keep the enter key pressed. If click on the dxhr.exe slowly, the error won't show up. (basically, the process just runs for a fraction of a second)

My laptop is above the minimum specs, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 11:55 AM

i am also having the same problem..plzzz help...when ever i start the game, it shows an error that...can not switched to it as it is used by another user...plz give some solution
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlasheddeer View Post
hi OldHorse,

I have this same problem. I've been trying to open Deus Ex: Humar Revolution, but every time I do, it says it's initializing, then does nothing. When I try again, it gives me an error message saying that Deus Ex is up on another account and cannot be opened. I only have one account on this computer (besides admin) and neither will run it. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM

try exiting out of steam and ending the steam process in your task manager then running the deus ex .exe this worked for me
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Exclamation Tomb raider

okay so today i have the same problem for the New tomb raider

if someone has found a solution !!

pleasee share with us!

thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Deus Ex Problem

I had this problem a while ago try updating your video card driver or just your drivers in general that did it for me.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Had exact same problem and found a solution

i had the exact same error code and for me the solution was as simple as starting steam in offline mode then playing the game. hope this helps somone