Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: STUTTERING & LAG / FRAME RATE Drop - Video & Audio - All Discussion

I remember having exactly the same issue with the first Mass Effect (stuttering in cinematics) on release and I find myself desperately trying to remember how someone eventually figured out a way to eliminate it and coming up short.

Anyone remember that issue and how it was resolved?

I am having zero issues with the videos, no issues with tutorials, no stutering and no lag but overall when I mouse-look it just feels sluggish. There aren't times when it freezes or stutters, but instead it feels like the whole experience isn't fluid. Imagine you were giving your nephew a piggy back ride. Sure it doesn't break your back or stop you from walking around or doing chores but everything is weighted down, right?

With that said, what are the graphical items I should turn down or disable, in order from least likely to affect image quality to most likely.

Windows 7
    Steam
    i5-2500 @ 4 Ghz
    8GB RAM
    Radeon 5770

I find it a trifle annoying that my thread was moved into this one and then simply ignored by moderators. All we have in terms of an idea is that if the cutscenes don't lag then we really don't have a problem... though I get sick as a dog watching things rotate which is a BIG problem. Some sort of "we're looking into it" or something along those lines would help...

I can't help but feel like my thread was thrust in here to shove it in a corner and forget about it. Any type of reply would have helped assuage the dissonance but instead I just get "moved". I can't even get much of a reply now because it's in a sea of other ignored problems.

Exclamation

I agree ajd, now all the video stuff is being lumped together. I've now managed to completely uninstall and reinstall the newest AMD drivers and my videos are still stuttering. This is beginning to get very frustrating. Where are all the Eidos moderators?

Is it me or are there two different issues being discussed here? Some stuttering/frame skipping in game, some in cinematics?

I am having a horrible issue with frames skipping, dropping and stuttering in game. Cinematics are fine. Played around with settings, still nothing.

AMD 965 quad core Black Edition
    8 gb of RAM
    Nvidia 460 GTX SE 1GB
    Latest video drivers.

Absolutely ruining a great game.

Apparently the community has nicknamed this problem "stutterring" and either people have it or they dont. maybe its a type of hardware configuration that is bottle necking this game. i am confident nexxis can patch this quick.
    Add me on Steam! 'anarki_lp' AMD 1090T BE 4.0Ghz | 8GB 2ghz Corsair Dominator GTs | OCZ Vertex3 120gb MAXIOPS | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x Asus Radeon HD 6970

Checked out the steam forums and this configuration has helped A LOT (still getting stuttering, but this makes it playable)

DX 11 on
    FXAA High
    Texture Filtering: High
    Shadows: Normal
    SSAO: Off
    DOF: Normal
    Enable Triple Buffering
    Disable VSYNC
    Enable Post Processing
    Disable Tessellation
    FOV: 85

My Specs:
    8 gb of RAM
    Nvidia 460 GTX SE 1GB
    Latest video drivers

Hope This helps.

Hi guys,
    just tried setting back my CPU to NOT being overclocked, since I had it slightly overclocked... Now the turning/aiming stutter is practically gone. Some hickups after quickloading, but afterwards everything seems to be running smooth now.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Cheers,
    thgc

Quote Originally Posted by thgc View Post
    Hi guys,
    just tried setting back my CPU to NOT being overclocked, since I had it slightly overclocked... Now the turning/aiming stutter is practically gone. Some hickups after quickloading, but afterwards everything seems to be running smooth now.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Cheers,
    thgc
    What processor do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by cyborg34572 View Post
    What processor do you have?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz . It was @3.6GHZ before I reset it.

Quote Originally Posted by baxterpunch View Post
    Checked out the steam forums and this configuration has helped A LOT (still getting stuttering, but this makes it playable)

DX 11 on
    FXAA High
    Texture Filtering: High
    SSAO: Off
    Enable Triple Buffering
    Disable VSYNC
    Enable Post Processing
    Disable Tessellation
    FOV: 85

My Specs:
    8 gb of RAM
    Nvidia 460 GTX SE 1GB
    Latest video drivers

Hope This helps.
    what about ansiotropy?
    Add me on Steam! 'anarki_lp' AMD 1090T BE 4.0Ghz | 8GB 2ghz Corsair Dominator GTs | OCZ Vertex3 120gb MAXIOPS | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x Asus Radeon HD 6970

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Hucksake View Post
    Same problem here, very annoying. Notice more in the streets.

i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz, 8GB ram, 2 x 570 GTX SLI running off a Vertex 2E SSD.

Get over 100fps showing using fraps (120hz monitor) with or without vsync enabled. Usually when turning corners.

I hope Eidos are looking into this.
    Are you running directx 9 or 11?

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Name ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Driver Version 8.881.0.0
    (xfx 5850 1gb black edition)
    OCZ Vertex II 120gb SSD

I've changed all sorts of settings and checked and rechecked my system. I have a decent background in tech support for games and haven't been able to find a fix. Crazy (nearly unplayable) stuttering in hub areas, slight stuttering in more enclosed areas. I also have a slight delay in in-game sounds.

Looking for a fix so that I can get my fix of Deus Ex!

I too have the stuttering issue. My framerate is great (about 90ish indoors, 50ish outdoors) but it stutters abit when I'm outdoors.

CPU: i5-2400 (sandybridge)
    GPU: Sapphire 5850 Xtreme Edition
    Ram: 8GB

Question

UPDATE WITH WHAT HELPED ME: An update to my original post below. I've got the game running fairly smooth now. I just ran the first mission and it was smooth with a nice constant frame rate. I didn't mark the numbers but I'd say it averaged around 40 fps. My main change was that I turned off DirectX 11. I took a few screenshots with it on and off and I honestly didn't see a whole lot of difference. From that stand point its ok but it bums me out as I specifically bought the 460 below for this game because my previous one didn't support DX11. So not thrilled about that....

The other change I made that made a difference was that I changed texture filtering from 16x to 8x. I wouldn't have thought this would make that much of a difference but it did for me. This smoothed the stutter out for me a good bit. This makes me think the stutter is not so much caused by level objects loading on the fly as you walk around but textures being loaded as you walk around. If this is the cause I don't really understand why it's a problem with this game and not more graphically intense games. But I'm not a programmer so...

My other settings for the game are:

Res: 1680 x 1050 60hz
    Aspect Ratio: Auto
    AA: FXAA High
    SSAO: High
    Triple Buffering: On
    VSync: On
    Post-Processing: On

You can see my system specs below. I hope this helps someone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Having similar problems. It's like the game or something in my system is holding something else back. I have:

GeForce GTX 460
    SoundBlaster xTremeGamer
    4GB Ram
    Windows 7 (fully up to date including DirectX 11)
    WD 1TB hardrive
    Intel Core Duo E6750 2.66GHz

I have the latest drivers for everything.

My frame rate hovers around 35 but then can go down to the low 20s when viewing some areas and thats when I get the 'stutter'. In a fire fight its alot more noticeable and sometimes the gun sound seems to be a bit slower to sound than when I pull the trigger. (on Windows 7 I don't have the dxdiag hardware acceleration slider). It's playable for sure but it just seems like it should be higher and smoother because I am also getting the turn/load stutter. It's not terrible but it's enough that the game just feels a step or two behind what I'm doing with the controls. The game just feels off.

The main reason I'm posting and what I don't understand though is that none of the graphics settings change the frame rate at all. That is why I feel like something is being held back. If I turn everything on (though nothing above normal) the frame rate is almost exactly the same as when I turn everything off including turning AA to its lowest setting. Setting AA to MLAA doesn't affect anything either. Toggling vsync can have maybe a 2-3 fps second difference but it depends on the area. This I don't understand.

How can turning everything off not affect the game performance?

I hope ppl keep posting some maybe something suggestion will improve things.
    Last edited by Bantis; 08-25-2011 at 03:02 AM.

So, this is quite annoying. I can basically max out all of the settings and run this game beautifully until I move my mouse. If I walk around just using wasd I have no problems. The second I move my mouse to look around, I am thrown into a whirlwind of stuttering madness and horrible times. Hopefully someone out there has overcome this same obstacle and gone on to prosper.

Oh, and just to be sure, I have the same issue if I turn all of the settings down to their lowest. Like I said, no problems until I use the mouse.

<<< System Summary >>>

Mainboard : Dell 0Y536R Chipset : Intel PM45 Processor : Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2533MHz Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM ) Video Card : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 Hard Disk : Western Digital WD3200BJKT-75F4T0 ATA Device (320GB) DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA10N Monitor Type : G370R€B156RW1 - 15 inches Network Card : Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 Network Card : Broadcom NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7600 (64-bit) DirectX : Version 11.00 Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

Thanks, friends!

So very, very sad.

I am also experiencing the stutter. Also, intermittent issues with videos not playing back and crashing the game. I am yet to get the game stable enough to be able to play. Not just loading new areas, loading everything. Turning too quickly gives me a brief stutter, so much so that the game is not playable.

I have confirmed i have the newest Nvidia drivers, reset all the nv settings to the default, confirmed all drivers are up to date, updated BIOS, removed Nvidia 3D vision, messed with every level of settings in the game, enabled/disabled DX11, turned VSYNC on and off, changed the thread priority for the DXHR executable, prayed to the gods to make this game work so I can finally play it

No dice at all.

I do not have issues with stuff like Crysis, Fear 3, etc etc.

My specs are as follows:

Mainboard : ASUS P5G41C-M
    Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
    Physical Memory : 4GB DDR3 1333
    Video Card : Gigabyte Nvidia GTX460 1gb
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Monitor running at 1920x1080
    5.9 Windows Experience index

The game seems to have loading time issues, mouse acceleration issues and FPS issues for me as well.

It's mostly playable, but after long period of gaming with the issues stated above, I get this feeling I just want to turn the game off and not play it for the day..

My rig:
    CPU: i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz
    RAM: DDR3 8GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    PSU: 750 watts
    Monitor: ACER 24'' 1920x1080

I also experience the "stuttering" issue. It'd probably be more accurate to call it "shuddering", I suppose, because the framerate itself doesn't drop, the displaying of the frame itself is what's stuttering.

I've done everything now from reinstalling the game to reinstalling my drivers and I'm still getting a stutter only when the FMVs play. Oddly enough the game itself plays extremely smooth.

Can this thread get a sticky, please?

Ditto. Stuttering happens in big hub areas, and a little stuttering happens in smaller areas now and then. It happens mostly when turning and looking around when graphics are being rendered. Then after a few seconds once everything has loaded and properly rendered, it'll stop. Very annoying I can't imagine getting into a firefight like this. Changing resolution doesn't help. Hope a patch comes soon!

I'm on a Raedon 4850 series, 4gb of ram.

Add me to the list of people with the stuttering issue. My PC gaming rig is new and I'm getting very solid frames with all options at max but I started noticing some random dropped frames while moving around last night. A good way to see them is to stare down at the floor while you move. I've tried lowering some of the video settings and get the same results.

My Machine: i5-2500k @ 4.0Ghz - 8GB DDR3 - 80GB Intel SSD 320 - Nvidia GTX 560 ti

Well ive done everything, lower settings , changing drivers, putting clocks to default (processor/memory/Gpu) and nothing changed my stuttering. My framerate is always at 60fps even when the stuttering occurs, its very frustrating. Im trying to enjoy the game but this stuttering even in takedowns is really annoying, everything looks/feels choppy i cant immerse myself. I did not build a powerful rig to get this kind of performance, patch this please.

- Intel i72600k @ 4.5Ghz - 8GB DDR 2133Mhz -1TB WD Black - 2x Sli Asus DCUIIGTX580 (latest drivers)

Add me to the list of stuttering when moving the mouse around. Otherwise my frame rates are locked via VSYNC but if I turn it off, I get over 100FPS, so I know it's not my video card.

Specs: Intel i5 760 (quad), 8GB DDR3, Intel SSD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 (280.19 drivers, the newest WHQL give me horrible lag everywhere), using on-board Realtek audio, Windows 7 Pro x64

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast