Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Region Locks (see 1st post for summary of Q&As): Official - No lock for UK/EUR/US/AUS

Heh, to quote george carlin:

"Whoever first coined the phrase 'Buyer Beware' was probably bleeding from the ***"
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFoxter View Post
    Reading news about DX:HR is like watching a soap opera. My daily amount of emotions has been exceeded.

Quote Originally Posted by klex View Post
    only a small percentage of the people buying Deus Ex reads forums and FAQs offered by the publisher/developer.
    This is true.
    Perhaps Square just assumed (not unreasonably) that people will purchase the game from retailers in their own country.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

Quote Originally Posted by Charadesmith View Post
    Look, i understand the frustration, but why not resort to buying a key from Green Man Gaming? It's cheap when you use a 20% voucher..you get the game, the devs get paid, it's all legal etc etc.

You only have to boycott the retail purchases, not the game.
    I think the worst thing is that this is happening so close to release. First of all, everyone who pre-ordered was just getting excited for their game and suddenly they're crushed. And secondly, there is no time to try and find a cheap local deal, because release is a week away and so everyone's prices are sky-high.

Right, come on alternative digital distribution services. One of you lot step up to the plate and offer MASSIVE DISCOUNTS on this game to help out all these poor folk who have had to cancel their pre-orders. It'll be good business, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by impar View Post
    Just cancelled my pre-order and informed all my friends to not buy the game from the usual places.
    Been buying games from UK shops for the last years.

Will buy the game when it reaches the 10€ price point. Not before.
    Lousy and shameful decision by Eidos.
    Thanks for telling us!!

Quote Originally Posted by MyImmortal View Post
    This is true.
    Perhaps Square just assumed (not unreasonably) that people will purchase the game from retailers in their own country.
    It's 2011, most of the people buy from the Internet, where have you been on the last ten years?. Come on you guys are developing a futuristic game and you want me to believe that you assumed "reasonably"?
    Steam: quidxrazer (feel free to add me )

Well, the sad fact these days is that it's hard to find a local shop that actually sells PC games these days (or they charge insane prices).
    So the alternative is to order it on the internet, and then it makes no difference it it ships from the UK or someone three doors over. The only difference is that I pay 15€ less and get more features.

Just got a reply from the customer support
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience cause by this region restriction policy. Unfortunately this is something that didn?t come up until the game was on the physical production stage.
    We suggest contacting retailer to cancel pre-order and get a refund.

Kind Regards,

The SQUARE ENIX Technical Support Team.
    Am I supposed to believe they make these decisions on the spot ?

I just got a callback from Amazon.co.uk and they obviously haven't a clue about this. They claim the game will work fine. I told them they really need to investigate it further, so the support person said she'd contact the relevant department about it.

According to someone on boards.ie, Gamestop also do not know about this region locking being implemented.

P.

The problem is with the PC version right? Nothing unusually nasty happening on the console front?

here is what you have to do, if you live in the EU:
    Competition
    1. What can I do if I suspect that a business practice restricts competition?

In your daily life, you may come across situations in which there are signs of business practices which may restrict competition, such as those described in this site. For instance, companies have sometimes refused to accept orders from consumers from other Member States. Such a refusal may be a sign of illegal, restrictive practices and you may want to inform a competition authority about them.

Step 1: Decide which competition authority to inform

If the situation you have encountered is specific and limited to the country or the area in which you live, or involves no more than three Member States you may in the first place want to contact a national competition authority. The competition authorities of all EU Member States now apply the same competition rules as the European Commission and very often they are well placed to deal with your problem. If you think that a larger number of Member States are concerned, you may primarily choose to contact the European Commission.

Even if you are unsure about the scope of the problem, do not hesitate to contact either the European Commission or a national competition authority. The authorities cooperate and may allocate a case that could arise from your report between them as appropriate.

Step 2A: if you wish to inform the European Commission
    Reporting your concerns to the European Commission

You can report your concerns to the European Commission by e-mail to comp-market-information@ec.europa.eu. Alternatively, you can write a letter to:

European Commission
    Directorate-General for Competition
    Antitrust Registry
    B-1049 Brussels
    Belgium

Please indicate your name and address, identify the firms and products concerned and describe clearly the practice you have observed. This will help the European Commission to detect problems in the market and can be the starting point for an investigation.
    Making a formal complaint with the European Commission

If you are directly affected by the practice which you suspect restricts competition and able to provide the European Commission with specific information, you may want to lodge a formal complaint instead. In this case, you would need to fulfil certain legal requirements which are explained in detail in the Commission Notice on the handling of complaints (for further information see http://europa.eu.int/dgcomp/).

You can also send an e-mail to comp-market-information@ec.europa.eu to ask for further information on the lodging of a formal complaint.
    Informing a consumer association

As an individual consumer, you may also inform a consumer association of your observations. The consumer association can then decide to pool information received from different consumers and make a formal complaint to the European Commission.

Contact a consumer organization in your country

Step 2B: inform a national competition authority

National competition authorities in the EU Member States can gather information from the companies concerned and take action to remedy the problem if they find that EU competition law has been broken.

Please note that the procedures followed by the national authorities depend on their national laws and may differ from one EU Member State to another. So, before contacting a national competition authority, you may want to check its website or seek guidance from the authority on how best to report your concerns.
    source

Region Blocking in the EU is just that: "a business practice restricts competition"

so just write a email, copy&paste to the European Commission, your national competition authority, your national consumer protection authorities.

I am no lawyer but it seems to me that this whole thing is borderline illegal and with enough pressure from consumer protection and competition authorities we might get that dropped. Free Trade is one of the foundations of the EU and we just cannot get them get away with this bull, because everybody will jump on this train.
    cya
    Tycho
    signature image

This is true.
    Which part of the European Union are you from? You are aware that a major point of the EU is being able to make cross-border purchases with no restrictions?

P.

No, they assumed the opposite since there is a region lock

This is true.
    How is that not unreasonable? People buy their games online most of the time and they are looking for the best possible price. I'm not buying it at local price when I can get it for half the price at amazonUK or shopto

I seriously hope this is a huge misunderstanding, otherwise I will never buy anything else related to this company.

I have the PC edition pre-ordered from Amazon UK for about a year. I am from an European country that, like the UK, is part of the European Union. Any product I purchase from any of the fellow European Union countries works just fine here, since we share the same DVD region code, Blu-Ray region code, console region code, and so on.

I should also add that the Augmentated Edition is not available locally.

If this ends up being true, I think it's a new low for a publisher.
    So let me get this: besides idiotic DRM, exclusive pre-order content, and many other measures publishers have been implementing recently, now I have to worry about the European Union country where I purchase my PC games from? I'm not talking about importing it from China or Russia, that I could (somewhat) understand, but other EU countries?
    This is beyond ridiculous (and probably illegal, since it goes against the principle of free circulation of goods inside the EU), especially since, if I bought a copy for the Xbox 360/PS3, I wouldn't have this problem.

For fellow forum users from the USA, imagine a company unabling a customer from activating his PC game, just because it was bought from a New York store, and he is from Los Angeles. Basically, this is what Square-Enix is (apparently) doing.

I'm getting too old for this crap. As usual, it's the paying customers (like me, who happens to purchase every media content I want, be it a game/CD/DVD/BD) that end up geting screwed, since I'm sure anyone who decides to pirate this game will play it just fine. Which makes this even more wrong.

I hope this is cleared up soon.

If this ends up being true, I will file a complaint through the appropriate channels, and I suggest other fellow forum users from an EU country to do so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
    Which part of the European Union are you from? You are aware that a major point of the EU is being able to make cross-border purchases with no restrictions?

P.
    I'm from the UK.
    I have no idea about the EU. I thought region locking was common, as with DVD movies.
    signature image

If they assumed that most people bought in their own country then I'm sure they wouldn't be doing this. It's no secret that for people in Europe it's cheaper to import a boxed copy from the UK (Even before you take into account retailer discounts) than to either buy locally or pay Steam prices (DXHR-Aug on Steam €54, my UK preorder of same, €37).

It's in SE's interest for us to pay the higher prices so they've quite deliberately (and potentially illegaly) locked us out of buying in the UK.

I'm from the UK.
    I have no idea about the EU. I thought region locking was common, as with DVD movies.
    You're serious? O_o EU has single format for movies PAL or Region2 for Blu-ray. As far as I know I can buy movie in EU anywhere and I can play it home just fine. Whether it's UK, German or Spanish. This is not common.

34€ is not overpriced ffs.

I'm from the UK.
    Since when does the UK have a different region-code than other European Union countries?
    We share the same DVD region code (2) and the same Blu-Ray region code (B).
    And obviously, we share the same region as well for console platforms.

WHAT.THE.HELL?! Get your act together and change this at once SE. Since the game requires Steam you can just change the key restrictions.

This is completely evil. NOT TO MENTION ILLEGAL. And the fact that you don't even bother to explain the situation is ridiculous. No retailer knows about this restriction either and I'm sure they won't be happy about it either.

People not buying the game are as much stupid as Square Enix not advertising the region lock. The game is amazing, find a way to buy it if you can. I am more worried about people from est Europe who can't phisically buy the game because there are no stores.
    Steam: quidxrazer (feel free to add me )

What the is this!! I preordered augmented edition from DVD.co.uk, and I was so happy, and excited about holding it in my arms for over a year, and now this BULL!! I live in a relatively poor EE country, and now I have to pay 20 euros more, for just a standard edition??!! Screw you ENIX!!!

And I was so excited for the sequel to my favorite game! Now I have to pirate it, so again YOU!!!

P.S. Been buying PC games from UK for over five years, and never had this idiocy happen before!

Don't hurt me, I only said I 'thought'...
    signature image

http://www.greenmangaming.com/games/...an-revolution/

use voucher: 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Thanks for telling us!!
    Hey, it may be of no concern to you but having bought a game from UK and being unable to play it is rdiculous.
    Two of my friends managed to cancel the pre-order, there is another one that is having trouble. Didnt Eidos informed the retailers of this screwup?
    I'm from the UK.
    Then I would like to inform you that half (or more) of all games bought by me and my acquaintances are bought from UK shops. Amazon.co.uk, Play.com, DVD.co.uk, etc are all part of our shopping habits for games, books, movies, etc.

The "99.9% of users are totally unaffected" affirmation is false and misleading.
    This will turn into a PR nightmare.

I'm from the UK.
    Just as you know UK is a member state of the European Union since 1973

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast