Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Gamer

Default Region Locks (see 1st post for summary of Q&As): Official - No lock for UK/EUR/US/AUS

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe/US/AUS. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycw2309 View Post
Just to clarify, this is for anywhere in Europe.
PC versions from UK will work in US and vice versa.

__
http://support.eu.square-enix.com/fa...t4363djgb80jn3

The PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is region-locked.
Please be sure to purchase a copy from your own region, otherwise you might not be able to register the game.
If you should not be able to register your copy due to a region conflict, please return the game to your retailer. Square Enix cannot offer assistance in replacing incompatible registration codes.

So what does this mean from people who got it from GMG and live in US/Canada?

___

*Moderator Edit* / Further info/updates

18 August
Quote:
Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.
Quote:
Just to clarify, this is for anywhere in europe.
PC versions from UK will work in US and vice versa.
Update on Region Lock
Please note: It was reported that Deus Ex on PC is region-locked to the UK only. Square Enix has confirmed that this is not the case. If you are ordering from outside of the UK, you will be able to play this on your PC.

__

Just a reminder for those just joining in, only the BOXED RETAIL copies are region locked. If you have pre-ordered a digital version, your key will be region free.

http://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/en...region-locking

Quote:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Steam Key Region Locking

martinsnelling Aug-17

We have spoken to the publisher regarding their recent announcement that Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be region locked and they have confirmed to us that your Steam key will work regardless of what region/country you are in.

We have requested keys from the publisher and when we receive them, we will add one to your account.

You will be able to view your key by logging on to the Green Man Gaming Website, and viewing the download page for the game. This can be found under 'your games'.
http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/434/?page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertClarke
RobertClarke
Staff

They still work everywhere.

They will continue to work everywhere, and we have 100% confirmation from the publisher from this.

There was a while yesterday when we were told there would be lots of different versions but the publisher emailed us last night to confirm this would not be the case!
Some misinformation happening, making those who have bought the game confused and worried unnecessarily? Many users are totally unaffected by this in any way shape or form. Those who have bought the UK box copy from outside the UK should be aware of region locks, as some online activated games get region locked. The Preorders thread Q&A's discussed this issue a while back and advised people to check before purchase.

Quote:
Q: Is this game doing one of the region locks? If I buy the U.K. version will I be able to play it on my USA xbox360?
A: Whether to lock the game or not is still up to publisher. For the 360 and Wii, region locks on these platforms have been used more frequently. PLEASE make the relevant enquiries to avoid disappointment.

Please note this affects PC BOXED RETAIL only. The region locking exists because they couldn't get all languages onto the DVD.

Quote:
Just to be clear to everyone the region lock is just for the retail BOX copies.. ie if you physically buy a box in the UK it will have the uk region code etc, if you buy a boxed copy in russia will be locked to russia, everywhere else is covered by a rest of world region (including poland).

Due to disc size limitations, the languages had to be split onto different masters (PCs dont have universal bluray drives yet so we couldnt put all on 1 disc this is why there is so much confusion)

Also all versions have ALL languages available. So even if you buy the English UK version, you can change the language to French, German etc whenever you want.. The size of the game meant we couldnt fit all languages onto the disc so you will just download the language pack for the game that is all..

Quote:
All this is really due to the languages having to be split onto the discs for retail.. Its meant people have confused the region and languages available to just those on the disc etc..

Also the region locks in place are just on activation.. if you buy in the uk a boxed copy and activate in the uk and then go to germany or another country it will still work..

Digital copies are not region locked as far as i am aware. Any region checks have been long standing there etc.. ie credit card region so isnt new for Deus
Quote:
If you buy from amazon.co.uk they are selling uk product so as a box is the uk version.. amazon.de will sell the german disc etc..

FYI the disc splits are as follows - We couldnt fit more languages per disc.

English on own (being sold in the UK)
English / French (being sold in the US i believe)
French / German
Italian / Spanish
Polish / Russian

Again to be clear, only the russian and UK (english) steam codes for box copies are region locked, and ALL languages are available to ALL users once activated (may require language pack download if language is not on the disc version purchased)
Quote:
All languages are available to all activated players. You will need download the files for any language that's not on your disc. Steam handles this for you automatically when you change the language.

Quote:
Q: I bought a RETAIL copy IN UK but I live OUTSIDE UK. Will I be able to ACTIVATE the game or not?
A: No. Can only activate the UK boxed copy in UK (includes Isle of man etc)
Quote:
Q: If I buy a boxed UK copy and activate it in the UK, will I be able to play it in other regions?
A: That's a most definitive yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Green Man Gaming staff member says their keys are not going to be region locked

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/434/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivan View Post
I emailed square and this is how the regions and the various versions that are being released work together.

Languages - English
Release Region - UK Only
Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English / French
Release Region - Outside of UK
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia

Languages - FIGS* (2 versions here, FG and IS)
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia

Languages - RP**
Release Region - Russia/Poland (both on same disc but only russian is region locked)
Steam Account Region - Russia with russian codes/Poland

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
** Russian, Polish
___

Please also be aware of Steam's Licence Agreement:
Quote:
You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.

Last edited by jaycw2309; 08-18-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
New Player

Yes, I also bought my code from Green Man Gaming. Would like to know what's up with this.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Gamer

I am worried now. I swear if I can't get what I paid for because of a stupid decision on Eidos's part.

I mean, why even bother with Region Locking on a PC game?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 PM
New Player

I put in a support request to Green Man Gaming. I cited the link in my support request. You should do the same if you bought your key from GMG so that you keep them on their toes.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Gamer

I already sent in a support ticket. My guess is they will be getting a lot of them
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Gamer

FO:NV had that issue,people were buying Dlc and it wasnt showing up because of a blu code or so on.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Gamer

OK, now I am worried. There is no mean to buy this game in my country so we buy games from UK mostly. Now the question is, region lock means Europa, North America etc or it means every different country (like it is on xbox etc)?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Gamer

Oh hell, I'm in California and I just pre-ordered on Shopto.net, a UK based website.

Why do you hate America Eidos Montreal?

First you split up the pre-order exclusives in this region so that we can't get all of them locally. Then you release no news about whether there will be region locking or the ability to receive or purchase the extras outside of the pre-order. Now you announce this days before the game ships, when I already have pre-ordered from Europe.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 PM
New Player

So I live in Australia and ordered off of greenmangaming. UK is in the PAL region and so is Australia. Will I be fine?
Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashman View Post
So I live in Australia and ordered off of greenmangaming. UK is in the PAL region and so is Australia. Will I be fine?
Unfortunately the PAL / NTSC formats have nothing to do with this type of regional restriction. That doesn't mean you won't be able to play just that it doesn't help the situation.

I have recently seen GMG change it's release date from 26th back to 23rd (US) and back to 26th again. My guess is that they now know that it's regionally locked. This is rather distressing and will absolutely kill Green Man Gaming if they end up selling thousands of copies to people who can't activate them on steam. Not completely their fault but there will be much bad feedback.

Maybe somebody in UK is going to end up getting my copy. Pretty sad to have a game regionally locked on PC. SC2 didn't allow you to play with other regions but you can at least play a game you bought anywhere.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
OK, now I am worried. There is no mean to buy this game in my country so we buy games from UK mostly. Now the question is, region lock means Europa, North America etc or it means every different country (like it is on xbox etc)?
I have to wonder about this too, as I ordered from the UK and am from Austria, but it's probably only about PAL/NTSC. And no, the decision isn't "stupid" on Eidos' part, it prevents people to get their best deal and instead forces them to pay more in their own region.
Same reasons we also got DVD and console regions if you want to look those up.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
That's what I need to know as well!
I certainly won't change my preorder from Amazon UK in any case. I'll play the version I ordered with or without steam...
Old 08-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Former Biomoderator

Pressure from regional distributors maybe. In Australia a new game from EB or the like costs about $100. Even though our dollar is stronger than the US dollar right now. We're expected to pay twice as much for the same product. It's disgraceful, and no wonder more and more people are importing games.

I'm glad I preordered my copy on Steam ages ago for $45 (before the price increase).
Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 AM
New Player

Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post

Yep, just came from there. I was a bit frantic for a bit. Heheh.

DXHR for $34 was a great deal I just couldn't pass up.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Permanent Vacation

Yay for Steam! Bringing all the console bull to PC!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Gamer

I emailed square and this is how the regions and the various versions that are being released work together.

Languages - English
Release Region - UK Only
Steam Account Region - UK Only

Languages - English
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - FIGS*
Steam Account Region - EU, but NOT UK, Russia or Poland

Languages - RP**
Release Region - Russia/Poland
Steam Account Region - Russia/Poland Only

* French, Italian, German, Spanish
** Russian, Polish

Last edited by Kivan; 08-16-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Gamer

It will be simple enough, if I can't activate my copy from the UK through Steam, I'll have to play the game without Steam, simple as that.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Gamer

My god the amount of bs going on around here

First of all if you buy digital there are no regional restrictions

Second, EM doesn't hate America cause you're the first ones that get the game, despite the fact that the developers of the PC version are european and the original devs aren't even american but canadian. Stop whining.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadesmith View Post
My god the amount of bs going on around here

First of all if you buy digital there are no regional restrictions
BZZZZZZT WRONG

The only way the PC version can even be region locked is because it uses *** Steam. PC software has never traditionally been sold on region-locked discs (like, say, console games or movies).
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Gamer

No, i'm not wrong. You can buy digitally wherever you want from wherever you want. The region locking "works" only after you activate the game, in the sense that you get the version of the game for that region on Steam after activating, which is supposed to be the same save language differences and possibly censoring issues.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Gamer

So let me get this straight:

First, you don't give us the possibility to play the game in English if we like (the first two parts of the series have been English only).

Then you are purposely restricting the language to the different regions - even on PC, so that we can't import the game?

What in god's name is the reason? Why don't you listen to your customers, to your fans? Why???
Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodaemon View Post
BZZZZZZT WRONG

The only way the PC version can even be region locked is because it uses *** Steam. PC software has never traditionally been sold on region-locked discs (like, say, console games or movies).
I tried to tell my Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast disk that but it still continues to say " This version will only run in the United States and Canada" Thank god for Tutu is all I got to say.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemuesepizza View Post
So let me get this straight:

First, you don't give us the possibility to play the game in English if we like (the first two parts of the series have been English only).

Then you are purposely restricting the language to the different regions - even on PC, so that we can't import the game?

What in god's name is the reason? Why don't you listen to your customers, to your fans? Why???
If you're getting it on PC, you can change the language on Steam and download the language pack you desire.

Stop acting like a drama queen.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
If you're getting it on PC, you can change the language on Steam and download the language pack you desire.

Stop acting like a drama queen.
I don't know, maybe there is an issue with your ability to read? Or why don't you understand what's written here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...3&postcount=17
Closed Thread