Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 206

Thread: DX:HR - FIELD OF VIEW - FoV - UPDATE: Confirmed, in-game FOV setting for DXHR

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    There's going to be a homemade fix for the FOV in the game, and you'll find it in your registry settings. The game uses the same engine as Tomb Raider: Underworld, which has a great many settings tweakable through the registry.

    IN THEORY, we'll just run "regedit" when the game is finally released. Then, let's say, we'll find the directory that'll probably be called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex Human Revolution\Graphics. Just as in Tomb Raider Underworld's directory we will PROBABLY see keys for things like Contrast, Brightness (which, hypothetically, can be changed to erase the washed out, over-bright look that the game will most likely have judging from seeing pre-release content, probably to settings like 1500 for Contrast and 6 or 7 for Brightness).

    We could also, just purely as a guess, like in TRU, change the aspect ratio to something like 20000 (in decimal code) for a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Hypothetically, of course, this would widen the field of view considerably with just a small, unobtrusive amount of stretching vertically, just like it would in TRU, since they run on the same engine after all.

    Thanks for bearing with me through all this pure, madcap speculation that is "totally untested on any version of the game" ;-)

    Maybe this will help!

    Cheers!
    Last edited by CHC; 07-27-2011 at 07:59 PM.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    955

    Default

    @CHC:
    Provided these things could be done, it would be great if someone who knows this stuff would make a short tutorial on how to "optimize" the game for PC, once the game is released. I surely would like to minimize or even remove all unnecessary bloom and oversaturation effects.

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    You know what game gave me headaches... Batman Arkham Asylum. The close over the shoulder view always made me want to rip my head off. Head and neck aches. Weird I know.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Hi everyone!

    I just wanted to let you know: we've recently added an in-game FOV setting to the DXHR PC!

    cheers,
    Jim.

  5. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    Hi everyone!

    I just wanted to let you know: we've recently added an in-game FOV setting to the DXHR PC!

    cheers,
    Jim.
    Jim Offerman? If this is true and not a hoax, then hooray! Great news! Any news about high-res textures?
    "It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    Its true and not a hoax.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Thank you very much, Jim! You and your colleagues at Eidos Montreal + Nixxes are legends and I will be buying your game day one!

    Please everyone buy this game and support a developer who genuinely listens to their fans.

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Hooray, no headache! I wonder, does that go for PC only or console also?

    In any case, thank you guys.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Please everyone buy this game and support a developer who genuinely listens to their fans.
    So, I take it you haven't been following the forums for these past few years.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the leaves...
    Posts
    21,987

    Default

    ^
    He should consider himself very fortunate.

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Thank you very much, Jim! You and your colleagues at Eidos Montreal + Nixxes are legends and I will be buying your game day one!
    Please everyone buy this game and support a developer who genuinely listens to their fans.
    I think the majority of fans here preordered in any case.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irate Iguana View Post
    So, I take it you haven't been following the forums for these past few years.
    Oh there you are, Irate.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Thank you very much, Jim! You and your colleagues at Eidos Montreal + Nixxes are legends and I will be buying your game day one!

    Please everyone buy this game and support a developer who genuinely listens to their fans.
    I was going to say "You must be new" but you joined prior to I_I so now I'm just

    Do you really believe that EM have listened to fans? Cos I'm not seeing it. Or going to be buying it (probably until next summer's Steam sale).

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 68_pie View Post
    Do you really believe that EM have listened to fans? Cos I'm not seeing it. Or going to be buying it (probably until next summer's Steam sale).
    Erm, this very thread? Also the fact that they added the options to disable the object highlight and objective markers, after fan outcry? What more evidence do you need? But please, keep digging yourself deeper into that hole.

    Obviously things like core gameplay mechanics were set in stone long ago and you'd have out of touch with reality to believe that they could be changed at this late stage. But small technical implementations like in the aforementioned paragraph are very doable.

    Nixxes' PC port on paper thus sounds properly optimised for PC platform, playing to its strengths (eg added graphical features currently only possible on our technologically superior platform and taking full advantage of the keyboard with hotkey item slots) and meeting a lot the fundamental expectations that PC gamers have for their games. In the current climate of the core gaming market, we PC consumers seem to have been treated as well as realistically possible.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Erm, this very thread? Also the fact that they added the options to disable the object highlight and objective markers, after fan outcry? What more evidence do you need? But please, keep digging yourself deeper into that hole.

    Obviously things like core gameplay mechanics were set in stone long ago and you'd have out of touch with reality to believe that they could be changed at this late stage. But small technical implementations like in the aforementioned paragraph are very doable.
    1. I said EM thus an option added by Nixxes was irrelevant to my point.

    2. Highlighting was disabled after a storm by practically the entire gaming public who might have bought the game - not because "the fans" complained. The forum had pointed out the stupidity of highlighting and changed nothing.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Yet still EM listened to the outcry, many other companies probably wouldn't give a ...

    Also I think whatever changes Nixxes does it all must be decided and acknowledged by the EM core team, no?

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    993

    Default

    They also removed the ammo counter on the guns, which didn't get as much fuss as all the other stuff

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Tyrell Pyramid
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Thank you for resolving a big predicament, thank you for your decency to confirm it here in the forums, and another thank you for making it an in game option, it's quite tedious to change and test FOV when the only option is quitting the game and tinkering with .ini files.

    I'm not in the mood to discuss the "EM listens" thing, maybe later.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I've never felt a problem with FOV (nor do i truly grasp the concept), i heard people mentioned it was like looking into a scope backwards? i can't ever recall having this affect me in a game, nor become sick or have issues with it. is it something kinda small that maybe people wouldn't notice from game to game or is it something serious? i hear people saying crysis vs crysis 2 and how you can see more in crysis 1 than crysis 2 where your gun takes up a lot of space/don't have much peripheral vision etc and i noticed that you can see more in crysis 1 than crysis 2 yes, but it doesn't bother me. I'm assuming this is only good news and will look better on my large monitor etc? I'm glad they've added an option because people here seem to really care, but I have no idea what in the hell it'll do for me, nor how the adjustment would work, or if i should do it. I have a 24 inch 1080p 1920x1080 monitor and play games on pc if that makes any difference; i just adjust the res to max on all games and only get bugged when it only goes up to a low res (playing invisible war again and it only goes up to 1280, really bothersome but oh well).

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    Hi everyone!

    I just wanted to let you know: we've recently added an in-game FOV setting to the DXHR PC!

    cheers,
    Jim.
    Very classy, Jim. Kudos.
    "Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." G'Kar, Babylon 5.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The City
    Posts
    7,636

    Default

    Thanks, EM!

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Oh my god, thank you so much Eidos Montreal and Nixxes!

    Support your developers, guys!

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Brisneyland, Aus
    Posts
    1,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enemy242 View Post
    (playing invisible war again and it only goes up to 1280, really bothersome but oh well).
    If you look you can get anything running at the res you want - there will be a settings or configuration .ini file where you can set the the res, or you could find an app on the net to auto adjust the ini's for you, unless invisible war is a very very rare case where they cannot be changed. Just google around, save your eyes :P
    Last edited by Senka; 07-29-2011 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFoxter View Post
    Reading news about DX:HR is like watching a soap opera. My daily amount of emotions has been exceeded.

  23. #148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    If you look you can get anything running at the res you want - there will be a settings or configuration .ini file where you can set the the res, or you could find an app on the net to auto adjust the ini's for you, unless invisible war is a very very rare case where they cannot be changed. Just google around, save your eyes :P
    I've definitely managed to get IW running at 1680 x 1050, it's in an ini file, so it should certainly be possible to run it at 1920 x 1080. That said, to get it running in proper hor+ widescreen (i.e. not stretched) you need to do a bit of hex editing. It's not all too complex though. Here's a guide.
    "It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
    I've definitely managed to get IW running at 1680 x 1050, it's in an ini file, so it should certainly be possible to run it at 1920 x 1080. That said, to get it running in proper hor+ widescreen (i.e. not stretched) you need to do a bit of hex editing. It's not all too complex though. Here's a guide.
    Someone wrote an app that takes away the headache of having to hex edit those DX:IW files for a horiz+ FoV.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2088245

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Ooh, confirmed FOV adjustment. Very nice. Default looks a bit cramped, so this is good news.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •