Thread: Thief Gold graphics freezing in Windows 7

Default Thief Gold graphics freezing in Windows 7

I managed to get Thief Gold to run on Vista, but I've since upgraded to a different machine running Windows 7 and I've run into trouble. I'm running the game in compatibility mode and on a single processor, as usual.

As soon as I start up the game, the graphics freeze. The first frame of the Eidos logo movie appears on screen, and from then on doesn't change. The sound continues to run, and I can listen to the opening movies, or skip past them to the menu, hear the sounds of the menu buttons, but no matter what the image on screen stays frozen on that first frame of that first movie. (if I don't start in compatibility mode, it skips the movie and freezes on the first frame of the menu instead).

I'm running Windows 7, with Intel HD graphics Core i3, and Thief Gold v1.37. I can tell it's a graphics problem, since asides from the image the game seems to run fine. What should I try to fix it?

I had exactly the same problem with the same hardware (except an i5 rather than an i3) and it was fixed by applying DDFix.

However, now when I get into a game, everything is invisible except the solid scenery. I can draw my weapons and hear my enemies, but the weapons don't hit anything and the enemies' attacks hit thin air. It would be quite entertaining if it were possible to get past the first (invisible) door!

Any ideas?

I suspect that there may be something incompatible with the Intel graphics and the graphics commands coming from Thief / DDFIX. I would be tempted to pop in a stand-alone graphics card and see if that works. I might also check with the TTLG legacy gaming technical support, but I just did and the forum is broken. I sent a PM to the moderator.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

Here is the link to the Technical Help forum at TTLG:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81

The previous Lagacy Gaming forum had been merged with another, so it was empty.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke