Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Order of the Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecman View Post
Huh.

And the much requested:
OMG, lol, this is AWESOME!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Hero

No room for "king of the caption-fun thread" I see. Humpf!

Seriously, much love Tecman. Good stuff.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashpolt View Post
Kyle, I'll generally speak up for you (personally) while criticising EM's marketing plan, and I know you were really excited about this, but IMO you've dropped the ball on this one. Partly because of the whole "why are you all so determined to pretend the forums don't exist?" aspect, but it's not just that. My main issue is that I really don't like being asked to do your marketing for you for a game I cannot possibly know is any good (and neither can anyone, barring the previewers.) I'm not going to spam my friends for you, and I resent being bribed to do so. Do your own damn marketing! We're your customers, not your employees - give us information about the game, and if we like what we see then we'll spread the word about it, not the other way around.

On top of that, we don't know what the 90+ surprises are. On the one hand, if it's nothing significant, it's just a waste of time, but on the other hand, if there's something particularly special in there, then it makes this bribery all the more despicable - if you're holding a demo hostage until we publicise your game enough for you, I will be pretty much disgusted, and I would hope any sane person would be too. (In before "serious business, herp derp.")

As a result, I've actually unliked DXHR on Facebook. Yeah, I know you don't give the slightest toss about 1 person, but it should be painfully obvious by now that something having no effect won't stop me from doing it. Heck, I vote in the general election, can't get more futile than that!

Still, one bright thing from this: Tecman's achievements! Great stuff! And glad I got one just for being me.

That's right! You unlike the game on facebook and then tell the forum about it! You will show EM you mean business! You make sure your everyone knows about your futile action!

Back ontopic, personally I've never heard of this type of thing being done before, so it will be interesting to see if it actually works.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashi View Post
That's right! You unlike the game on facebook and then tell the forum about it! You will show EM you mean business! You make sure your everyone knows about your futile action!
It's a matter of principle. Protests like that don't have to pan out in any way, but sometimes you just have to say "Enough!"
Old 05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Protagonist

Its funny how he quotes a "futile post".

Futileception
Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
There's so much caustic negativity in this thread I feel like I should be wearing a haz-mat suit...
Ignored, dismissed, slapped-down, deflected, and/or (NOTE: I said "or"), distracting from, the impatience of months of wanting to know the answers to a list of questions that will decide a purchase, pass, or a wait for modders to work their codely magicks. If you ask a basic question and I offer you anything but the answer, how many times before you start at least feeling "negative" about it?

Also, hashi thinks hashi's being constructive and helpful. Backfiring! Surprise! More extraneous stuff not answering the questions!

I am growing steadily more worried about Thief 4.

Last edited by jtr7; 05-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Gamer

New video unlocked! http://deusex.com/facebook

Behind the Scenes - Shooting Range

Now we know why the guns look and feel so good.

Edit: Very good video. I want more Behind the Scenes and interviews with actual developers. You deserve my Like for this stuff.

Last edited by MrFoxter; 05-16-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Gamer

Ahh I'm not on Facebook but I can harass everyone else into liking it. Hopefully this will expose more people to the game. Ambitious project Kyle

Tecman: that is *** awesome!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Gamer

I agree with Ashpolt. Plus I, and a few other people, are talking to people telling them why to not buy the game. This community is being treated like dirt.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Gamer

Cool video, as I was watching I hoped they'd stuck on some game footage at the end to show some of the gunplay they were discussing and sure enough there was. And this was only the second unlock, bodes well for the rest
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoxter View Post
New video unlocked! http://deusex.com/facebook

Behind the Scenes - Shooting Range

Now we know why the guns look and feel so good.

Edit: Very good video. I want more Behind the Scenes and interviews with actual developers. You deserve my Like for this stuff.
A lot of the problems with having the game developers go to the shooting range is...

computer game developer shooting a gun =/= experienced cop or soldier firing a gun.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM
New Player

Odd that the weapon Jensen uses at the end of the video doesn't seem to have any recoil. At least one person admitted that they have to be reworked.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:37 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonknight View Post
I agree with Ashpolt. Plus I, and a few other people, are talking to people telling them why to not buy the game. This community is being treated like dirt.
Aahahahahahaha look at you you big blubbery baby. I honest to god have been trying to read this thread for like twenty minutes but every time I do all the posts blend together and end up looking like this:

Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindill the Red View Post
A lot of the problems with having the game developers go to the shooting range is...

computer game developer shooting a gun =/= experienced cop or soldier firing a gun.
The physical experience of firing a gun is pretty much the same regardless of who you are, except your accuracy, provided you have been taught to properly hold one. This is definitely beneficial to animators.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKD View Post
The physical experience of firing a gun is pretty much the same regardless of who you are, except your accuracy, provided you have been taught to properly hold one. This is definitely beneficial to animators.
Well, yeah, but with experience you learn to compensate for recoil, and you can hold full auto for longer - even if it's just a matter of seconds. Also, physical strength plays in... something that (forgive me EM crew) computer game development crews are not generally known for.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffis View Post
Well, yeah, but with experience you learn to compensate for recoil, and you can hold full auto for longer - even if it's just a matter of seconds. Also, physical strength plays in... something that (forgive me EM crew) computer game development crews are not generally known for.
True, but I imagine badass robot arms is something they've kept in mind during animation, heheh. (They are good for more than just punching hookers in the face!)
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
Ignored, dismissed, slapped-down, deflected, and/or (NOTE: I said "or"), distracting from, the impatience of months of wanting to know the answers to a list of questions that will decide a purchase, pass, or a wait for modders to work their codely magicks. If you ask a basic question and I offer you anything but the answer, how many times before you start at least feeling "negative" about it?

Also, hashi thinks hashi's being constructive and helpful. Backfiring! Surprise! More extraneous stuff not answering the questions!

I am growing steadily more worried about Thief 4.
What else exactly are you waiting to know? We know more about this game than we did LA Noir, and LA Noir was just released!

You see, if I ask you a question about a game you're developing, I know that you are likely bound by a handful of nda's, that your marketing plan is important, and that it is in your interest to keep portions of your game underwraps.

You said the word yourself, friend. Impatience. When the game comes out, you will likely have all the answers you want. Why do you want them right now? It's their job to make a great game - not answer your questions, or even mine. Do they look like college professors? Some devs like to look fancy and seem cuddly by answering questions and poking on forums a bit, and people get all fuzzy about it (not sure why, personally). Others decide their time would be better spent elsewhere. The game comes out in August. Your questions will be anwered then. Anything you get before then is gravy - and as far as I'm concerned, we've been getting a LOT of gravy, brother.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Gamer

I do not use Facebook, so for the ladies and gentlemen who do, please like this twice on behalf of myself using that other account you use to stalk potential or former suitors.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Gamer

Quote:
ACHIEVEMENT GET!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Gamer

Hey Dragonknight, got something for ya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Gamer

It looks like a lot of effort has gone into this site and promotion, great work Kyle!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegrey View Post
As unfortunate may be, it's difficult internally to justify creating and giving away this much material unless it's tied to something. That's the reality of the situation.

Like I said on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, think of this material like bonus material on a DVD, or different version of a game. The main difference being you don't have to pay for it, and you're getting a lot more.
ou yeah, and there was a time when developers just put those art work assets on game's official page without making stupid "like or not like" contest. Don't you think that by giving something to people you could actually get more people interested in the game than making this a hostage like contest withholding information. Yes, I'm on Facebook and i had already pressed like button months ago but will I spread the word to my friends to like the page just because you ask us to do it in return by giving pieces of art? Most likely not because I don 't want that you make people to do something they don 't want to do.
What are the chances we will see all those 90+ assets? What will happen with effort to make them if we only reach 1/3 of them? So you just don't let us see the rest of them? So you want to say that you make something and even don 't intend to show that unless we start marketing for you on FB?

Last edited by Brock; 05-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Gamer

You'd think more people on the board would like Facebook. I mean, it is basically a proto-hivemind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegrey View Post
It was a screenshot! Not artwork! :P
"Rhetoric, always more rhetoric."
Seriously though, you're awesome and deserve cake.

Also, the unlock site is very pretty.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Community Tyrant

I'm going to refer people just because I want more concept art released. Gotta love the concept art for this game.