Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Gamer

Cool DX:HR Official FACEBOOK UNLOCKS & QR MISSIONS APP Scavenger Hunt (Facebook Connect)

http://deusex.com/facebook

The gist: Work together to increase Like numbers to the Facebook pages and unlock assets.

My personal take: I've spent a lot of time spearheading this project. I've procured an immense number of new assets, thanks to the help of many people, and I can't WAIT for them to all be unlocked.

Announcement below:

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION FANS CHALLENGED TO UNLOCK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT VIA FACEBOOK
Facebook Promotion Offers Fans the Chance to Unlock Exclusive Videos, Artwork and Behind-The-Scenes Footage

MAY 13, 2011 – THE INTERNET – Eidos-Montreal and Square Enix are offering Facebook users the opportunity to unlock a slew of exclusive Deus Ex: Human Revolution assets by encouraging other fans and friends to “Like” the official Deus Ex Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/DeusEx. As more users “Like” the page, over 90 exclusive updates -- including new videos, behind-the-scenes footage, and other artwork -- will be revealed.

Fans can now pre-order Deus Ex: Human Revolution to receive exclusive downloadable bonus content from participating retailers by visiting http://www.DeusEx.com/preorder.

“Deus Ex has one of the most passionate, vocal and dedicated communities in all of video games, so offering a program that rewards that loyalty -- even before the game is released -- is a great way for us to give something back,” said Kyle Stallock, Community Manager, Eidos-Montreal. “The Facebook community now has significant control over the release schedule for some of our favorite assets. We have a ton of surprises and unlockables planned, so fans should invite their friends to ‘Like’ the page and start collecting these rewards.”

The new program, which launches today, offers more than 90 individual rewards for Facebook fans, including new wallpapers, screenshots and concept art as well as further details on in-game Augmentations, weapons and the story.

Previously, when the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Facebook page achieved 10,000 Likes, fans were rewarded with an exclusive wallpaper created by Eidos-Montreal Art Designer Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, that recreated the imagery from the highly collectible and super-rare PAX East 2011 tee-shirt.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/DeusEx) is where fans can keep up-to-date with the latest news, previews, videos and screenshots on the game; engage in discussions with other fans and development team members; and find out about other contests and promotions. Fans can also visit the official site at www.DeusEx.com where they will find all of the game information and the official forums and join the human revolution at: www.twitter/eidosmontreal .

__

DX:HR - QR MISSIONS APP Scavenger Hunt (via Facebook Connect)

Square Enix has launched an App that will net in-game rewards for Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The Deus Ex: Human Revolution QR Missions App unlocks in-game door codes for use in the upcoming science-fiction action role-playing game.

Real world prizes are also up for grabs, including Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network goodies.

The QR Missions are an alternate reality Scavenger Hunt. Grab the App from the App store. You'll need an iOS device with a camera and register using Facebook Connect.

The first code is in the exclusive content section of the game's official Facebook page. New codes will release every week for the next seven weeks. Hints will appear on the official Eidos-Montreal Twitter feed as well as on the Facebook page.

A captured code rewards 10 points to yourself and the collective. For each code scanned, users receive an item immediately, including special game footage, secret codes to unlock in–game doors, "Augment Yourself" codes and other assets and info from the game.

The first 1000 to find 10 codes get an exclusive theme for their preferred platform: PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. These themes will be sold at a later date.

If the collective reaches one million points before the game's 23rd August US release date, players will get a toy version of the in–game "B–EE Chopper" item for their Xbox Live Avatar or for PlayStation Home.

Also, the first 10 participants to collect all 21 QR codes get one copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition, one pair of custom Deus Ex: Human Revolution headphones, one Square Enix Play Arts Adam Jensen action figure and one Deus Ex: Human Revolution Limited Edition Compression Sleeve.

NOTE: "the QR code application and hunt is a USA and Canada activity only.

Join together with other DEUS EX® fans to capture DEUS EX QR Codes found in the real world and unlock an exclusive community reward. Along the way compete to win cool prizes just for you.
Contest runs June 6th 2011 through August 23rd 2011.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deus-...439921138?mt=8
__

http://eidosmontreal.tumblr.com/
http://www.facebook.com/

Participants Can Find Hidden QR Codes to Unlock In–Game Door Codes, Win Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360 and PlayStation Network Prizes, Receive Exclusive Real–World Swag

Square Enix, Inc. and Eidos–Montreal launched the DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION (DXHR) QR MISSIONS App for fans of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, wherein participants will have the opportunity to win exclusive real world prizes as well as in–game rewards. In order to join the DXHR QR MISSIONS Scavenger Hunt, fans should visit the App store on their iOS device. The first code is already available in the exclusive content section of the game’s official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/DeusEx). New codes will be released every week for the next seven weeks.

So, How Does It Work?
Fans should visit the App store to download the App (DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION QR MISSIONS) for their iOS device and register for the DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION QR MISSIONS. Participants must be 17–years–old or older, have an iOS device with a camera and be able to register using Facebook Connect. Participants will also have to choose their preferred gaming platform.

Once the App is installed, users can begin looking for QR Codes — both online and in the real world — in a variety of locations including marketing and public relations materials, in–store advertising, the official website and Facebook page, and more. Hints for code locations will appear on the Official Eidos–Montreal Twitter feed (www.twitter.com/eidosmontreal) as well as the game’s official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/DeusEx).

When a code is found, participants will use their iOS device equipped with a camera to scan it, thereby capturing that code and earning themselves (and all participants) 10 points.

So, What Can Fans Win?
The DXHR QR MISSIONS Scavenger Hunt delivers elite rewards for the fastest and most thorough code collectors as well as an amazing prize for all participants through a larger, unified goal. These prizes include:

For each code scanned, users receive an item immediately including special game footage, secret codes to unlock in–game doors, “Augment Yourself” codes and other assets and info from the game.
The first 1,000 participants to find 10 codes will receive an exclusive theme for their preferred platform (either the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft or the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system). These themes will be available for sale at a later date.
If the collective score for all participants reaches 1,000,000 points before August 23 (the North American release date), all registered participants in the DXHR QR MISSIONS Scavenger Hunt will receive an exclusive item for their Xbox LIVE Avatar or for PlayStation®Home. This item will be a toy version of the in–game “B–EE Chopper” that will appear as an Avatar prop item for their Xbox LIVE Avatar and will be available as a companion that follows the user within PlayStation®Home.
The first 10 participants to collect ALL 21 QR codes will receive the following prize package:
One (1) copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition (system based upon original console selection)
One (1) pair of Custom Deus Ex: Human Revolution headphones
One (1) SQUARE ENIX PRODUCTS PLAY ARTS –KAI– Adam Jensen Action Figure
One (1) Deus Ex: Human Revolution Limited Edition Compression Sleeve

__

Q&A's / UPDATES:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotegrey View Post
Does everyone have all the codes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakka View Post
There are plenty of online qr code readers though.
The link taken out of it just gives me a blank space though...

http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/qr/dayusex
Quote:
Quote:

There has been some concern regarding door codes, with community members assuming those who don't participate in the QR mission won't be able to open certain doors. I can confirm this is not the case. All door codes rewarded from the QR missions app may also be received during a normal playthrough. And who says you MUST use the codes to go through the doors...

__

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfried View Post
I've posted this several times on the Facebook page, but just in case anyone somehow managed to miss it:
All of the codes released thus far have been collected in a Tumblog that can be found here.

Last edited by Viktoria; 08-22-2011 at 02:45 AM. Reason: thread merge, so added original first post introduction
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Hero

What the prawn.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Gamer

This is going to own.

(the "get stuff" part, not the "ask people to like the page" part, haha)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Hero

No Facebook for me.

Will look forward to seeing what the extra content is, though.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpie View Post
What the prawn.
Blizz did it with Diablo III. Basically they hold information hostage and as long as people press a button there will someday be some stuff released.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Gamer

Bioware did it as well. Just a pitty the effort needed for it was not worth it in the end.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Hero

Don't put Kyle down, he's been doing a great job.

Says JCpie jokingly.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Protagonist

Go'ead! Kyle lad!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reven View Post
Bioware did it as well. Just a pitty the effort needed for it was not worth it in the end.
My number one concern has been making this "worth it." If I didn't think it's cool, I didn't approve of it being made.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Gamer

Quote:
My number one concern has been making this "worth it." If I didn't think it's cool, I didn't approve of it being made.
Well it certainly sounds like you put more thought and effort into it than Bioware did since to them it was nothing more than a cheap marketing gimmick. Hopefully you will have some High quality art work HD wallpapers but we shall see once the goodies start to be handed out. .

Last edited by Reven; 05-16-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Gamer

... but's it's so shameful to ask somebody to like something on facebook... I don't even use it (facebook, that is) that often these days. Maybe we can use our DX brains and find a less intrusive way to do this... like take a stroll to some other forum sites and engage in a tasteful spam campaign.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Hero

Yeah wallpapers ftw, I get my new PC tomorrow!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Hero

This didn't work for EA and Battlefield 3, so I'm kind of curious as to what you're doing differently...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
... but's it's so shameful to ask somebody to like something on facebook... I don't even use it (facebook, that is) that often these days. Maybe we can use our DX brains and find a less intrusive way to do this... like take a stroll to some other forum sites and engage in a tasteful spam campaign.
Well I don't use facebook either since I refuse to take part in social experiments basically because I’m anti social. but we could just go spam the Bioware forums there’s so much dross over there they will never know.

Last edited by Reven; 05-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Hero

Maybe it will possibly cause Angel-A to get facebook.

Just sayin'.

Maybe I should stop mentioning Angel-A now. I just get so bored. I WANT DEUS EX HR. For free.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Gamer

More failure from EM. To get the items, people have to post at Facebook. The info ISN'T BEING PUT HERE. Fans have to use Facebook instead. Once again the OFFICIAL forums are left out. (sarcasm on) Great job, Coyotegrey. Thanks for putting those things on this forum. (sarcasm off)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shralla View Post
This didn't work for EA and Battlefield 3, so I'm kind of curious as to what you're doing differently...
90+ unique assets. I don't think anyone's done that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonknight View Post
More failure from EM. To get the items, people have to post at Facebook. The info ISN'T BEING PUT HERE. Fans have to use Facebook instead. Once again the OFFICIAL forums are left out. (sarcasm on) Great job, Coyotegrey. Thanks for putting those things on this forum. (sarcasm off)
It's difficult getting new assets, no matter the developer. This takes time to create. 90+? A really long time. There's no way I would've had the approval to commission so much content without some sort of a plan to distribute everything.

Like I said, this is really all new content that you wouldn't receive otherwise.

Last edited by Coyotegrey; 05-16-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Hero

I'm guessing in this context 'assets' aren't the things on women's chests...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Gamer

I wouldn’t call private property an asset.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reven View Post
I wouldn’t call private property an asset.
Idk, you can get people fined for trespassing.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Gamer

Yes but Ladies hit harder than fines.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Gamer

Seriously guys, get back on topic... IMHO, Coyotegrey has done a wonderful job despite all of the disrespectful nature on these forums sometimes. If he thinks, it is worth it, I'll trust his word on it. But it would have been nice to involve the official forums somehow. It also would have been easier if another epic trailer was released *wink, wink*.

Last edited by Human; 05-16-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Gamer

@Coyotegrey:
“Deus Ex has one of the most passionate, vocal and dedicated communities in all of video games, so offering a program that rewards that loyalty -- even before the game is released -- is a great way for us to give something back,” said Kyle Stallock, Community Manager, Eidos-Montreal. “The Facebook community now has significant control over the release schedule for some of our favorite assets. We have a ton of surprises and unlockables planned, so fans should invite their friends to ‘Like’ the page and start collecting these rewards.”

That is what pisses me off. Fans should invite people to Facebook to get info. Why not post the info here? Why not put the screen shots, and everything here? You know, the place that EM said was the place to go to interact with the developers. The place the developers actually stay away from. Yet again, fans here have to go somewhere else for info. And you clearly that's fine.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Gamer

Ugh, while I honestly appreciate the effort and will be looking forward to said "unlocks" I'm already dead tired of this Facebook "like" stuff.
Seems like using the fans eagerness for info on their game of choice to get some increased exposure i.e. free advertisement over Facebook is all the rage in marketing at the moment.
First Blizzard, then Bioware, then EA/DICE and now EM. (probably missed other game developers doing it too)
Just feels seedy helping the marketing department save money to get an "exclusive" wallpaper I'll never use.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Hero

Don't worry, when I make MySpacebook™ it will be the revolutionary social network, in which you don't have to socialise! How good is that!