View Poll Results: Should Lara be a "goodie"?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she should be a "goodie" - a true hero

12 13.48%
  • No, but she should be a basically decent ordinary human being

29 32.58%
  • She should have issues, and be troubled but cute.

9 10.11%
  • No, she should be a sarcastic sociopath who likes shiny things

39 43.82%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Lara be a "goodie"?

Default Should Lara be a "goodie"?

If you had to put Lara into a protagonist/antagonist category, which would you prefer?
    Last edited by Natla; 05-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.

I would have put "Byronic hero" in as an option but I only just found it .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_hero

Arrogant
    Cunning and able to adapt
    Cynical
    Disrespectful of rank and privilege
    Emotionally conflicted, bipolar, or moody
    Having a distaste for social institutions and norms
    Having a troubled past or suffering from an unnamed crime
    Intelligent and perceptive
    Jaded, world-weary
    Mysterious, magnetic and charismatic
    Seductive and sexually attractive
    Self-critical and introspective
    Self-destructive
    Socially and sexually dominant
    Sophisticated and educated
    Struggling with integrity
    Treated as an exile, outcast, or outlaw

Sarcastic Sociopath FTW!

Haha, the last one looks like my own personal Twitter description

It's funny, I remember posting a similar poll at the time of TRAOD, because one of the trailers was saying 'from hero to criminal' or something similar. In my mind, Lara has never been a hero, not for the sole sake of being a hero anyway. Usually, she's a hero because she brought Armageddon on Earth by unearthing something shiny, and she has to fix it before killing every single living thing on the planet.

As for the last 3 options, I do believe that she can be any of those, even an ordinary girl becoming extraordinary... I think it's really a matter of presenting her, with the right context and the right lines (some of the lines I read in the leaked script were way too cliché for my taste) according to the chosen option...

(Had Byronic hero been included, I wouldn't agree with the self-destructive part, she's everything else but that)
    Last edited by SE_Cath; 05-14-2011 at 04:55 AM.
    Adventure found me...

Lara to be TRUE HERO FTW!!!!!!!
    signature image

Am I the only one under the impression that Crystal is more going for a "basically decent ordinary human being" ?
    Adventure found me...

Quote Originally Posted by Clara View Post
    Am I the only one under the impression that Crystal is more going for a "basically decent ordinary human being" ?
    In other words, the game equivalent of a "Mary Sue" ...

Well, that's not what I said. I wasn't seeing the second option as a "Mary Sue" necessarily, but there's a definite risk, yes. Don't you think so ?
    Adventure found me...

I knew a Mary Sue once. Trust me, not all Mary Sue's are decent "ordinary" human beings.
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

Νope, i think this too. We will probably have a "human being" Lara.
    signature image

I voted for Lara as a "goodie" but by that I don't mean she should be a perfect human being like Superman. Lara's been a great character because she's always had flaws. She can be single minded, aggressive, a tad arrogant and willing to do what she has to to get the job done.

A very hard choice really and it depends on your description of goodie.

She always fights the good fight, believes in just principles and aims to stop the antagonists. I do believe she is a ruthless killer (or mass-murderer) who will kill any enemy she encounters without hesitation. She show remorse for the innocents that get killed but not much for her enemies. Would be better if CD don't soften her in that sence. I love her sarcasm towards enemy demises.

The choice is so hard as I think she is a hero, is a bit sociopathic but isn't deeply troubled or ordinary. I will go for the bottom option.

Nope, I am too.

These threads are always the most controversial ones.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, as a matter of fact, it makes things more interesting which is always a good motivator for the most enthralling discussions, mind you sometimes that means things get out of hand lol.
    I respect your intelligence, just not your integrity.

Everybody gets to where they are because of where they were. I suspect this younger Lara will be more of an ordinary/decent human being, and will start to harden her edges with this adventure.
    signature imagesignature image

If you remove the discussion from a "discussion forum" all you have left is a forum, which means "marketplace" i.e. a place where people try to sell you stuff by over-hyping it.

If Lara was a real goody, it would make TR games pretty boring.

So I went for the next best thing, option 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenas View Post
    ...mind you sometimes that means things get out of hand lol.
    Luckily, you guys have us to monitor your every move to make sure that won't happen

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Lara's... Hmm, good question... She certainly has no qualms at all about killing anyone who gets in her way... If she HAS any ethical system beyond 'my side = good, their side = bad' we have yet to see much evidence for it...

I think I'm going to have to go for 'sarcastic sociopath who likes shiny things' overall... That's pretty much the girl we're all used to...

I like to think of Lara not as a pure black or white character but as a character defined along some shades of grey. Yes, she doesn't have a problem with killing the people who stand in her way, but most of the times she does so to save her own skin 'cause she's beeing shot at!

For me, Lara's not a true hero/goodie (as Superman or whatever). A hero has in mind a greater purpose, his actions are for the greater good of all humanity. Lara usually has in mind her own purposes! Sometimes that unleashes some world-threatening menace and she has to clean up her own mess.

I see her more as an Adrenaline junkie: she chases adventure, puts herself in dangerous situations because this makes her feel more alive! She enjoys it, cheating death! Joining this to her passion for Archeology and we get the tomb raider/treasure hunter she is.
    signature image

Lara croft gana be one bad ass *
    YOU'RE NOBODY TILL SOMEBODY KILLS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    I see her more as an Adrenaline junkie: she chases adventure, puts herself in dangerous situations because this makes her feel more alive!
    I agree with everything with your whole message, but this very part is probably the very essence of Lara Croft!
    Adventure found me...

I see her as an idealistic and somewhat naïve young archaeology enthusiast who looses faith in academic field work and defends a more straight forward approach: She runs for the big discoveries instead of dedicating decades of patient investigation through slowly escavation and documentation. She wants to be credited with awesome findings but she realises that archaeology is way less exciting than that. Her academic colleagues make fun of her ideas and method insinuating she is no archaeologist, but a treasure hunter, grave robber, or tomb raider, which will be in the end what everyone calls her.

She wants to be credited for her findings, I don't see her having a huge personal collection of artifacts nor being in it for the gold: She's from a wealthy family, her natural way towards richness should be stock market investments, not selling antiques in the black market. She has a huge ego, that's for sure. She wants to be taken seriously as an archaeologist, but her outcast attitude really won't help her.
    Last edited by QiX; 05-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by QiX View Post
    I see her as an idealistic and somewhat naïve young archaeology enthusiast who looses faith in academic field work and defends a more straight forward approach: She runs for the big discoveries instead of dedicating decades of patient investigation through slowly escavation and documentation. She wants to be credited with awesome findings but she realises that archaeology is way less exciting than that. Her academic colleagues make fun of her ideas and method insinuating she is no archaeologist, but a treasure hunter, grave robber, or tomb raider, which will be in the end what everyone calls her.

She wants to be credited by her findings, I don't see her having a huge personal collection of artifacts nor being in it for the gold: She's from a wealthy family, her natural way towards richness should be stock market investments, not selling antiques in the black market. She has a huge ego, that's for sure. She wants to be taken seriously as an archaeologist, but her outcast attitude really won't help her.
    Well, I agree about the part of this message which is about what she wants. She is at the end of the day, not technically an archeolegist. (which means she's basically a crazy person who has a obsession for shiny things.) I've still not chosen yet, but I think it's either the 2nd or last option... Hmm.............I'll go with the last. (She was that from the start really...)
    What? Do you expect me to have a good signiture?

I think the new Lara's leaning towards the "pretty decent human being" criterion.

In this new game she used to work at a local pub before boarding the ship, right? Pretty normal and decent, if you ask me.
    signature image

I prefer option 4 the sociopath who likes shiny things. I think it gives a more of that cutting edge with a bit more agression and unpredictability. I want her not to feel too much guilt and be quite badass. Plus I think with the option 4 Lara you get to see a fantastic dark humour come from her thats is always nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick2412 View Post
    I prefer option 4 the sociopath who likes shiny things. I think it gives a more of that cutting edge with a bit more agression and unpredictability. I want her not to feel too much guilt and be quite badass. Plus I think with the option 4 Lara you get to see a fantastic dark humour come from her thats is always nice to have.
    Lol imagine in the dramatic climax of the game we discover that Lara is actually responsible for trapping people on the island and the responsibility of handling the Island (and torturing the people on it) has been handed down every generation in the Croft family.

Now wouldn't that be a twist....
    I respect your intelligence, just not your integrity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast