View Poll Results: Who should play Lara in the 3rd movie? (pics @ bottom of OP)

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alison Carrol

19 11.66%
  • Camilla Luddington

91 55.83%
  • Ellen Page

9 5.52%
  • Gemma Arterton

30 18.40%
  • Hayley Atwell

12 7.36%
  • Kaya Scodelario

5 3.07%
  • Lyndsey Fonseca

14 8.59%
  • Natalie Portman

11 6.75%
  • Nina Dobrev

8 4.91%
  • Olivia Thirlby

5 3.07%
  • Olivia Wilde

17 10.43%
  • Summer Glau

8 4.91%
  • Kate Beckinsale

14 8.59%
  • Jennifer Lawrence

15 9.20%
  • Emma Watson

13 7.98%
  • None of the above - I want a feature length CGI movie, a la Turning Point

3 1.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Third TR film discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    Can Alison Carroll act at all?
    I think I saw her in a film and she was in it all of three seconds... so I can't really judge but personally I doubt it.

No offense to those who love her and all.

They need somebody who can act, not experience, does her own stunts (you can get great shots as they can shoot the face)... as for nationality I think it's fine as I think anybody can do the whole stuck up English accent!

I think its safe to say that if they choose Megan Fox the movie will be an epic fail.

Urgh, agreed. No Fox.

Game Informer had some interesting ideas...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...mb-raider.aspx

I hope they cast this as sensibly as they cast for Batman Begins with lots of talented actors to play the leads.

If they're going for a younger Lara like in the next game my cast would be...
    Lara Croft- Kaya Scodelario
    Lord Richard Croft- Colin Firth
    Amelia Croft- Keeley Hawes
    Werner von Croy- Bruno Ganz
    Alastair Fletcher- Tom Riley
    Zip- Percy Daggs III
    Amanda Evert- Imogen Poots
    Jacqueline Natla- Kate Winslet

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Jacqueline Natla- Kate Winslet
    I'm blushing ...

Actually Imogen Poots looks good too.

Last edited by Natla; 03-13-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Can Alison Carroll act at all?
    No clue. But how much deep acting skill is really required to play Lara? She looks the part and could certainly do the physical parts of the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
    No clue. But how much deep acting skill is really required to play Lara? She looks the part and could certainly do the physical parts of the role.
    Looking like Lara and being able to do backhand springs off of random objects doesn't cut it.

She at least needs to have adequate acting skills to be halfway convincing.
    Otherwise, it's like every other video game based movie: suckish.

Quote Originally Posted by LC is Me View Post
    Looking like Lara and being able to do backhand springs off of random objects doesn't cut it.

She at least needs to have adequate acting skills to be halfway convincing.
    Otherwise, it's like every other video game based movie: suckish.
    Yeah, just looks and physicality are a horse of a different colour.

I couldn't careless if it ends up being a bloke in a wig... I'm deadly serious. Providing she can act then it's all that matters...

and people will turn around and say they are a fan of cinema.

Super Mario Bros. movie DESTROYED video game movies for all!

Why I wouldn't mind being Lara. *slides CV forwards* I'd be perhaps the strangest Lara Croft yet. I can't for the life of me stay with the script. I'd start in an action scene and then suddenly pause and say "This is as epic as the fight scene between Spock and Kirk in the original Star Trek series!"

I'm hoping that Summer Glau is pretty awesome and her fight scene in Serenity was mind blowing. Plus you got the added bonus of her being absolutely adorable in interviews, I'm thinking about the special features here.
    My Tomb Raider Fansite, often distracted by shiny things.Click Here for Guns and Grapple

Quote Originally Posted by Raider126 View Post

I'm hoping that Summer Glau is pretty awesome and her fight scene in Serenity was mind blowing. Plus you got the added bonus of her being absolutely adorable in interviews, I'm thinking about the special features here.
    While there is something about her "look" that I don't see as Lara, like she's missing something, I have to agree with you.

I would be happy to play Lara Croft. haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurre View Post
    I guess I must be a blasphemer too then... I would be surprised if movie-Lara's personality was anything other than a walking bag of hostility towards the world because that is the only way Hollywood seems to be able to portray a strong female. As for the movie; I expect a rather uninspired B-action flick that doesn't stay true to the game, nor goes beyond the source material in a way like Christopher Nolans Batman movie. I'm sorry to be so cynical but that's my experience with game movies...
    Although I'm quoting you, Jurre, I see this sentiment shared by quite a few. And really, this defeatist attitude is counter productive. Have video game movis in the past been unsuccessful? Yes. Does that equate to all future endeavors being doomed to failure? There is NO reason to say it does.

In fact you referring to Christopher Nolan is a perfect example here. Batman movies before were anything from average (Burton's first movie) to down right flops (everything Schoemaker put out there). Now imagine the studios had this same attitude - "ohhh, just look how awful all the previous movies were, it's impossible to make a good batman movie, no sense in even trying. Sorry Nolan but we can't invest in this."

We wouldn't have not only the best Batman movie ever made, but by and large the greatest achievement in comic book adaptations to film, and I mean of any comic book property out there. Simply the best of all time!

Another note from history, all the video games developers tried to make from batman, they all were heaping piles of suckage, for years and years. Then Rocksteady studios came along and gave us the stellar experience of Arkham Asylum.

Sure you can get scores of bad writers and dirctors, but there ARE some rare gems out there who actually know the source materials and how to translate that to the film media. It takes just ONE to do it right.

So rather than wave the white flag, why not try and take an optimistic outlook here? I mean knowing that talented creators are out there and that the film industry in general is getting a better handle on how to treat these works of fiction (be that comics, cartoons, or video games), shouldn't we as fans demand they show due diligence and give us the viewing pleasure we deserve?

This giving up before it's been properly tried is... sorry to be harsh, just pitiful. Don't accept this as impossible, demand they put the effort into it!!

On another note, while I agree to some extent that the Jolie movies left something to be desired, were they really THAT bad? Sure there were flaws, like how they portrayed Lara as a tomboy, her aversion to anything feminine (we all know damn well she would wear a dress, and far more stylish than the butler's suggestion). And I agree about the cliche that a female has to be hostile to be shown as strong and independant. And the focus was too heavy on action over exploration and that sense of wonder and discovery.

But still they got some things right; there was attention to detail about her aristocratic background, they still captured the knowledgable and cultured aspect of her personality.

For all it's flaws, the TR movies were still overall a solid accomplishment in video game adaptations to film. Far better than most others I can think of like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, House of the Dead, Super Mario Bros, and many others. For me the best video game movie to date is Prince of Persia which was a very respectful homage to the games.

But basically, an imperfect movie is a farcry from this catastrophic failure some of you would make them out to be.
    signature image

I would be surprised if movie-Lara's personality was anything other than a walking bag of hostility towards the world.
    Isn't that more or less Lara's character anyway? (I admit I'm biased.)

Isn't that more or less Lara's character anyway? (I admit I'm biased.)
    That's only part of Lara's character. She can also display enthusiasm and elation when exploring a new temple (has "fallen in love" with soime locales), and can be very witty and as the brits say, cheeky.

She's far more complex than just a single aspect.
    signature image

Thank you for the well argued reply Adobe, here are my answers:

Quote Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
    Although I'm quoting you, Jurre, I see this sentiment shared by quite a few. And really, this defeatist attitude is counter productive. Have video game movis in the past been unsuccessful? Yes. Does that equate to all future endeavors being doomed to failure? There is NO reason to say it does.
    Personally I have seen no video game movie that I think of as a masterpiece, or even a moderately good movie, but that's personal. If you think there have been such films, I'd love to know which one those are. - edit, I see you listed them below.
    In the end, I think it is always wise to assume that everything is mediocre because it avoids dissapointment. If you don't hold your hopes on high and it turns out bad: great, you were right. If it turns out to be magnificent: great! So much more surprise.

In fact you referring to Christopher Nolan is a perfect example here. Batman movies before were anything from average (Burton's first movie) to down right flops (everything Schoemaker put out there). Now imagine the studios had this same attitude - "ohhh, just look how awful all the previous movies were, it's impossible to make a good batman movie, no sense in even trying. Sorry Nolan but we can't invest in this."

We wouldn't have not only the best Batman movie ever made, but by and large the greatest achievement in comic book adaptations to film, and I mean of any comic book property out there. Simply the best of all time!
    Indeed, but I think is like saying that cars have four wheels -and then have some guy who shows a picture of a tricar. I am not saying it is impossible, I just think is very, very unlikely that the Tomb Raider movie will show such quality as the Dark Night did. I think such an achievement is only possible when the director is highly capable to tell a story, like Nolan, or has great personal enthousiasm for the subject, like Peter Jackson and his beloved Lord of the Rings ( who is by the way also highly capable). You'll know your movie is in good hands then...
    Yet, as far as I can see the only motivation for making the new Tomb Raider movie is to create new interest in the Tr series and the upcoming game, in other words to make money. Just like all the other gamefilms.

Another note from history, all the video games developers tried to make from batman, they all were heaping piles of suckage, for years and years. Then Rocksteady studios came along and gave us the stellar experience of Arkham Asylum.

Sure you can get scores of bad writers and dirctors, but there ARE some rare gems out there who actually know the source materials and how to translate that to the film media. It takes just ONE to do it right.
    Like I said, you are right, but they are rare gems indeed. It is more likely to find a worthless piece of rock.

So rather than wave the white flag, why not try and take an optimistic outlook here? I mean knowing that talented creators are out there and that the film industry in general is getting a better handle on how to treat these works of fiction (be that comics, cartoons, or video games), shouldn't we as fans demand they show due diligence and give us the viewing pleasure we deserve?

This giving up before it's been properly tried is... sorry to be harsh, just pitiful. Don't accept this as impossible, demand they put the effort into it!!
    So in general: my answer is that good movies, especially game-movies, are rare, and it is more realistic to expect them to be B-quallity cashcows. That saves one from a lot of dissapointment. I do not believe that lowered expectations will lead to filmmakers doing less their best, if anything I think it will make them doing more their best.
    Rather than pitiful I call it sense

I'm getting a little tired of the preaching.
    It's starting to become this "If you don't like every single aspect of Tomb Raider and the projects surrounding it, you are _____". And it's a little irritating.

If the movies sucked or weren't good or half assed or whatever to a significant amount of people, why are we defeatist and pitiful if we don't want a third movie made?
    Because it didn't please us?
    Because we didn't agree with the way the movies were done?
    Please, if I'm spending my money on something and it disappoints me.....

It's a waste. Put that money, time, and effort into making this game better. Focus on the series right now. We're starting to slowly roll back into the "Let's juggle multiple projects at a time" thing. If they can actually make this game good, it'll attract the attention of actually decent producers/directors. Maybe then they could do a decent movie. Fans demand greatness from many things: doesn't mean they always get it. Some do, many do not. Are all their ways of thinking pitiful if they don't want a continuation of the disappointment?

Until then, jumping down my throat over it? Not going to change my opinion. If you liked the movies, fine. I don't care one way or the other. But being perceived as "pitiful"? That's a little self-righteous if you ask me.

Because let's be honest: I don't have to like every aspect of every Tomb Raider related thing, and I'm sure not obligated to like every aspect. Neither is anyone else. I'm not going to fake approval if I'm disappointed for the sake of seeming like a true fan.

^I agree with you 100%
    signature image

@LC is Me: Amen!
    wintervoices.blogspot.com
    signature image

LC: This isn't about how you feel about the past movies. You're entitlted to your opinion on something you actually saw, as are we all.

My main point was that the past does not equal the future. Again look at the Batman example. This new movie is under a different studio, will be handled by a different director and writing team, and it's already being written off as a failure before it's even been made. Does nobody else see the contradiction in this?

I did concede that the Jolie movies had its share of flaws, and yes, it will be no easy task for the next movie to "get it right". Sure it's a challenge, but is that really any reason to throw in the towel already? Again before the project's been started?

Even if I'm trying to encourage optimism, I'm not saying get your hopes up too high either. If nothing else, at least shouldn't they get some beneift of the doubt, as this is a fresh start? Is that asking too much?
    Last edited by adobeARTIST; 03-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    signature image

Like many of you said, they need someone who can act! And i couldnt agree more!

Sure, teach the person the stunts the shooting, all the action. But make sure this person you chose, really IS LARA. Not just with a sexy body but really can be her and take her personality and transform into her. Lara Croft is a great character, and i dont want them to ruin her.
    And if they make a movie, i think they should base it off one of the games. Sorry, but the movies kinda made me disappointed. I still like them, but they just arent really what i was looking foward to in the end. Maybe start off with old adventures like her finding the Scion?

Just my thinking though.
    "There's a lot of sickos loose on the streets... That's ok. Some of us like it that way "

LC: This isn't about how you feel about the past movies. You're entitlted to your opinion on something you actually saw, as are we all.

My main point was that the past does not equal the future. Again look at the Batman example. This new movie is under a different studio, will be handled by a different director and writing team, and it's already being written off as a failure before it's even been made. Does nobody else see the contradiction in this?

I did concede that the Jolie movies had its share of flaws, and yes, it will be no easy task for the next movie to "get it right". Sure it's a challenge, but is that really any reason to throw in the towel already? Again before the project's been started?

Even if I'm trying to encourage optimism, I'm not saying get your hopes up too high either. If nothing else, at least shouldn't they get some beneift of the doubt, as this is a fresh start? Is that asking too much?
    i agree they need to give it a shot! I just really hope this one will be great. But who knows... we shall have to see i guess;D
    Last edited by mrskurtistrent; 03-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    "There's a lot of sickos loose on the streets... That's ok. Some of us like it that way "

Quote Originally Posted by mrskurtistrent View Post
    Like many of you said, they need someone who can act! And i couldnt agree more!

Sure, teach the person the stunts the shooting, all the action. But make sure this person you chose, really IS LARA. Not just with a sexy body but really can be her and take her personality and transform into her. Lara Croft is a great character, and i dont want them to ruin her.
    And if they make a movie, i think they should base it off one of the games. Sorry, but the movies kinda made me disappointed. I still like them, but they just arent really what i was looking foward to in the end. Maybe start off with old adventures like her finding the Scion?

Just my thinking though.
    Part of the problem of producers making movies to much like the games are that people who haven't played the games won't understand it. They want to make a movie that people who have played the game AND people who haven't understand it. Do I think it would be awesome if it had a game based story line? Hell yeah. Will it happen? Probably not, unless they started with the very first game ever made.

like how they portrayed Lara as a tomboy, her aversion to anything feminine (we all know damn well she would wear a dress, and far more stylish than the butler's suggestion)
    I only just noticed this comment. I think the films got that bit just right.

In a sense, this does have to do with how I feel about the past movies.
    That determines whether or not I'd be confident that the director/producer did a decent job with it. Which won't happen unless they get a good group to do this movie (unless they wait and let this game do its job first, I very much question how this will happen).

I'm not giving anyone any benefit until they have some work to show for it, which in no way seems unfair. Everyone has to prove themselves at some point and if they prove me wrong, great.
    The product of the last two movies is making me step up in my own mind and not be prepared to take any ol' bull they put together and call a movie.

I'll look out for a trailer or two, and if it looks appealing, more power to them for perhaps getting it right. Until then, I'm not holding my breath on the close to $15 I'd have to pay for a movie ticket to be disappointed a third time. I ran out of optimism after the second movie.

Awesome news about the Tomb Raider reboot movie...

From cbm (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=36619)

Deadline is reporting that Iron Man screenwriters Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby have been brought aboard by GK films to write the script for the reboot of the Lara Croft, Tomb Raider film series.
    Says Deadline, "The real obstacle for this reboot is overcoming the fact that the ideal actress for the Lara Croft franchise is the one who played her in the first place. Female-driven action films have proven to be something of a dead zone in most cases. Besides Jolie, few actresses have been successful as action heroes, with Kate Beckinsale doing business in the Underworld series and Mila Jovovich in the Resident Evil films. Beyond getting a strong script and filmmaker, GKs challenge will be combing the list of up and coming actresses to find the next Jolie."
    They're just the sort of writers Tomb Raider deserves. I love Children of Men and enjoyed Iron Man. If they get writers that good I can't wait til they choose a star (*crosses fingers for Gemma Arterton*)

I'm so glad this movie is happening.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast