Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Blood Omen Series - General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Gamer

Default Blood Omen 2 problems Windows 7

Hello!

Well this is my first post in the forums, hello everybody

I have a problem with Blood Omen 2 for pc, It freezes randomly during custences or in the game itself,, I tried to change the compatibilty options but I don't think it works, I read another post about BO2 freezin in the forums, but the solution was taking out the RAM from the computer, and as I play in a laptop, I can't do that, please If someone knows how can I fix that I will be really grateful! (It seems that I have the same issue with Soul Reaver 2 as well)

Thank you everybody.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
New Player

I know it's kinda thread necromancy but better late help than none at all, right? I had the same problem. Do you have a multicore cpu? If yes, then that's the culprit. These games where all programmed for single core cpus. Try assigning only one core to the game. There are 2 ways to do this:

Start the game -> Ctrl + Alt + Del -> Start Task Manager -> Processes -> right click on game.exe -> SetAffinity

This method is just temporary though. You'd have to do this every time you quit and restart the game.

For a permanent solution, I can recommend the freeware program SetAffinity II which you can find here.

Last edited by Shin_Anubis; 08-19-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Gamer

Wow I didnt know it was because of this! Thanks man!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
New Player

You're welcome Hope it helps. At least it did the trick for me, no more random freezes after that.

And sorry for my poor English
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Man, this might also have helped me. I have had problems with most old games crashing, but yeah, some of the LoK ones more than others. Prince of Persia ones also crash and have texture mess-ups much in the same fashion. However, for me and possibly others, I have a hyperthreaded core, which is a Pentium 4 processor that tries to mimick a dual core, if people aren't familiar. If you have that in your system, the same type of problems of crashes might also occur, but the above program will not work for that. This one seems to work instead. I've tried it today with BO2 (amazing that BO2 actually works at all on my PC, as it wasn't even able to install for years, lol) and it has appeared to be more stable. Meaning, it hasn't crashed after about an hour of play, like before.

Here's the program for people using hyperthreaded Pentium 4 processors:

http://www.bitsum.com/pl_when_hyperthreading_hurts.php

In the options, look for game mode and add the game you want to ensure it's only using the right main "core."

Edit: well, the crashes still happen. They seem to be maybe a bit less, but this isn't the answer, so never mind.

Last edited by The Hylden; 08-21-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 AM

Here is a solution that's quicker and easier than setting affinity or downloading that program. Right click BO2 shortcut > click Properties > click Compatibility > tick Run this program in compatibility mode for: > click drop down arrow > click Windows 98 / Windows ME. I believe these versions of Windows were only programmed to utilize one processor. Next time you run BO2, start the task manager and take a look at the game's affinity. You'll find that it is only using one core :-)
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM
New Player

Exclamation Blood Omen 2 Installation Problems

I've had Blood Omen 2 for the PC for about 2 years now, and after beating the game, I uninstalled it to make room for my newer games. Since I got bitten by the Blood Omen 2 bug again, I've been dying to reinstall it so I can once again play it. However, there is a slight problem with the installation. Every time I begin the installation process I get a message like this:

ERROR! Cannot retrieve necessary directory information.

I am currently running on Windows 7 and my system is more than capable of running the game like it did in the past. I'm pretty much banging my head against the computer in frustration. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

LittleHeathen, I've moved your post to the resident problem thread for Blood Omen on Win 7 to consolidate. I am sure one of the other members will be along that can help you troubleshoot this soon. Welcome to the forums Sorry you're having trouble with the game.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
LittleHeathen, I've moved your post to the resident problem thread for Blood Omen on Win 7 to consolidate. I am sure one of the other members will be along that can help you troubleshoot this soon. Welcome to the forums Sorry you're having trouble with the game.
Thank you very much! I hope I do get this fixed soon; I'm dying to play again! XD And it's very good to be in this forum with other LoK fans. =)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHeathen View Post
Every time I begin the installation process I get a message like this:
It's hard to tell what may be a problem, but if you can - I would suggest trying installing on another computer. That way you can at least know whether it's a PC problem or a disk problem. If it does not work on a different hardware then it's most likely a disk failure and in that case, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Gamer

yea, i remember when trying to run bo2 under win 7 in 3D it kept freezing, didn't know it was a issue with multi core cpu's, THX