Thread: Startup glitch = terrible performance in game

Unhappy Startup glitch = terrible performance in game

Hi everyone,

Hopefully one of you can help as I'm tearing my hair out.

I've already completed the game (running at 62% completion and rising) and I've always had great performance. Recently however the game runs into an error during startup. There is a windows error sound, the spinning progress icon slows down, then the menu appears very choppy. No matter what graphics settings I choose I only get 10fps and it's totally unplayable, whereas normally I can run everything maxed out.

However, it isn't consistant. Maybe 1 time in 50 it starts okay and I get normal performance, but if I restart the game it screws up again.

Anyone know if there's a verbose mode so I can find out what's causing the error? I've tried running it right after windows starts, and killing every running service and my antivirus, so I'm not sure what's causing the clash.

Cheers, kirigoi

Edit:
    I should probably add I'm running Windows 7 and I have the steam version of the game.

CPU: Intel Core i7 940 @ 3.06 GHz with 6GB RAM
    GPU: NVidia Geforce GTX 570

And it's not overheating...

Please upload your dxdiag and misnfo files to a file-sharing website and link to them in this thread. You can also email them to us directly at: techsupport@eidos.co.uk

*Note: If you email the files to us, please link back to this thread so we know what the issue is! *

[MSinfo]

- Click on the Windows icon located by default in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
    - In the "Start Search" field, type in MSINFO32
    - Press Enter. This will start the MS System Information Utility
    - Once the Microsoft System Information window appears, click System Summary on the left-hand side and make sure it is highlighted.
    - At the top of the window, click File and select Save.
    - When the Save As window appears, choose to save the file to the Desktop.
    - Enter the name as MSINFO, then click the Save button.
    - Attach this file to your reply, or email.

[Dxdiag]

- Click on the Windows icon located by default in the lower left-hand corner of the screen.
    - In the "Start Search" field, type in DxDiag.
    - Press Enter. This will start the DxDiag utility.
    - Once the DirectX Diagnostic Tool appears, click on the Save All Information button at the bottom.
    - When asked to where to save the file to, click on the drop-down box next to Save in and select Desktop.
    - In File Name box towards the bottom, then name DxDiag.txt should appear. Leave this as is and click on the OK button.
    - Click the Exit button to exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    - On the Desktop, there should be a file name DxDiag or DxDiag.txt. If there is no file with this name, please repeat the steps above and make sure to save the file to the Desktop.
    - Attach this file to your reply, or email.
    Last edited by Eidos Support; 02-21-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    Eidos Support
    Contact Support Directly:
    Square Enix Support Europe
    Square Enix Support North America

Default Solved

Quick update:
    Long overdue, but posting this in case anyone else has the problem; I finally worked out what the cause was. It was the joy2key application which I'd installed for another game. Uninstalling it solved the issue...