Thread: Thief Deadly Shadows on Windows 7

Default Thief Deadly Shadows on Windows 7

I just got Thief 3 through Steam, and can't find anything about the problem I'm having. I managed to save 1 game (on the training level) but whenever I try to load that game, or to save a new one now, Thief 3 freezes. It just sits there, doing nothing, and I have to force quit. Has anyone else had this problem, or know of a way to fix it?

Could be a a corrupt file...if it is, just reinstall TDS.

Could be a problem with your graphics driver...TDS has been known to have issues with ATI cards.

Please list your system specs, so that you may receive better help.

Default system specs

My graphics card is ATI radion 3300 DX10, I guess if thief has issues with ATI's then that's probably it... It's also started freezing at the end of the training level, since I can't get further I don't know if it would freeze at end of any level.

Here is the latest driver...AMD Catalyst 10.12 - Win7 32 bit...or...AMD Catalyst 10.12 - Win7 64 bit

Try it out.

I know there was a problem with catalyst 9.9 - 9.12 drivers, but I'm not aware of any issues with the 10 series.

If it doesn't work, you may have to use the catalyst 9.8 driver for it not to freeze up...

ATI Catalyst Display Driver v 9.8 for Windows 7 32-bit...or...ATI Catalyst Display Driver v 9.8 for Windows 7 64-bit
    Last edited by Vae; 01-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the different drivers but it doesn't seem to fix it. I was about to give up but then I found this post: http://mugon.org/widescreen/thief.html and it seems to have fixed it right up.
    Last edited by mai; 01-01-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Excellent news...I'm glad you're up and running...

Default Thief 3 Deadly Shadows on Windows 7 64 bit with Widescreen

I believe I've run into the same problem as You have, and for future references I'll describe how I've solved it:

Obviously,
    first I installed the game.
    The DVD I have has a 1.1 already on it, so no AI patching was required, but the game wouldn't start. So as a
    second step, I downloaded Thief 3 Editor Tools and replaced t3.exe in thief3/system folder with t3.exe that comes with the tools.
    The game now started as it should, but was all stretched due to lack of widescreen resolutions to chose from. Therefore,
    thirdly, I visited this site and downloaded this FoV patch.
    But! Here comes the catch: when I changed the resolution= line in options.ini to -1 (or -3) as the text on that page instructed, all the little yes/no pop-up questions that the game asks stopped working - the result of that being that the game would crash every time I'd try to load a game/end a mission/overwrite a save/quit game/etc.
    So as a
    last step, after applying the FoV patch, I downloaded this widescreen fix (as recommended in this thread), saved it to the same folder as t3.exe was in (thief3/system) and with it changed one of resolution choices to my native resolution (1920x1080 in my case) and applied a crash fix.
    I then started the game and from in-game options menu chose my custom resolution.
    The game now runs fine and I can save, load, end missions and quit without crashing.
    X

can i get a nocd/pich for win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Could be a a corrupt file...if it is, just reinstall TDS.

Could be a problem with your graphics driver...TDS has been known to have issues with ATI cards.

Please list your system specs, so that you may receive better help.
    i have all Nvidia and AMD componets in my computer and it is all up to date and i still get the freezing game and i cant get past the tutorial so whats up with it how the heck do i fix it? oh and i dont have wide screen either so how to fix it?
    Last edited by KiraDawn; 03-31-2013 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sesobebo View Post
    I believe I've run into the same problem as You have, and for future references I'll describe how I've solved it:

Obviously,
    first I installed the game.
    The DVD I have has a 1.1 already on it, so no AI patching was required, but the game wouldn't start. So as a
    second step, I downloaded Thief 3 Editor Tools and replaced t3.exe in thief3/system folder with t3.exe that comes with the tools.
    The game now started as it should, but was all stretched due to lack of widescreen resolutions to chose from. Therefore,
    thirdly, I visited this site and downloaded this FoV patch.
    But! Here comes the catch: when I changed the resolution= line in options.ini to -1 (or -3) as the text on that page instructed, all the little yes/no pop-up questions that the game asks stopped working - the result of that being that the game would crash every time I'd try to load a game/end a mission/overwrite a save/quit game/etc.
    So as a
    last step, after applying the FoV patch, I downloaded this widescreen fix (as recommended in this thread), saved it to the same folder as t3.exe was in (thief3/system) and with it changed one of resolution choices to my native resolution (1920x1080 in my case) and applied a crash fix.
    I then started the game and from in-game options menu chose my custom resolution.
    The game now runs fine and I can save, load, end missions and quit without crashing.
    This might be a little late, but i bought Thief: Deadly Shadows yesterday, installed it, everything seemed to work fine, made it through the tutorial, and when the next mission started i saved the game and exited. When i tried to play today, i tried to load the game i saved the other day, but it just froze there and the music made the same noise over and over again, so i went looking on the internet for solutions, found this, followed every step, but it still froze at the exact same spot just like before.

I could not figure out how to create a thread so i posted this here, and im out of ideas, i don't know what to try anymore, anyone got any suggestions? This is making me furious