Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Community Tyrant

Default Ten reasons Human Revolution is faithful to Deus Ex

This is in response to that other article that doesn't really cover the stated topic. Here are ten things that Human Revolution has, ten ways, ten reasons why it is faithful to the original.

1) Ambience

In the original Deus Ex, there was an overall sense of gloom outside those few halls of prosperity. This is repeated here; "Not only is it night, it feels like it hasn't been day in years". Music that sets the mood, NPCs that fit the part and grimy corners mere steps from curvy, polished buildings home to those with wealth create a world rich in cyberpunk substance.

2) Sneaking reprises it's old role

DX offered sneaking with two goals available: Get past the enemy, Get to the enemy. Bide your time, gather information, take as many variables as possible into account, formulate a plan, execute the plan without being noticed. In first person or third this structure hasn't changed.

3) Actions and consequences

Make a choice, experience the consequence later on. Transform Adam into a Batman-esque raider, and be outclassed by opposing sheer firepower down the line. Convince a man to make good on an old debt, he loses his job later, altering related fates. Go non-lethal on a mission, get crap for it later and risk making an enemy.

4) Hidden motivations, twisting stories and personal agendas

Trust No-One. Question Everything. Self Explanatory, Yes?

5) Considered pacing

I find this one is slightly odd, but for all the smoothness and potential intensity added to the gameplay mix, the considered, take-time-to-make-your-decisions pacing is reprised. The actual execution (for lack of a better word) is what is really altered as a result of the...more controversial changes made to the formula. In Deus Ex it paid to use your brain, sometimes literally. That's still the case.

6) Non/Lethal

The old option helps to define how you take on the world, how your own character is developed and how others react to you. Are you an enforcer, a conspirator, or executioner? Are you worthy of respect or contempt?

7) Inventory

Well, yeah. 'tis back with a couple attitude adjustments.

8) It's BLACK AND GOLD! Kidding. But...

There's meaning, deeper than the surface. This is evident everywhere. The world created is deep, perhaps beyond sane reason. Ebooks, papers, pocket secretaries, discussions you might hear on a street corner. Conversations where things are said, without being said at all. The original of the species had this deeper-than-the-surface nature to a then-unprecedented extent, HR matches that and goes further.

9) Multi-path

This may be old after being hammered in by EM marketing, but...Multi-path. Multiple solutions to problems are built into the level, A.I. and social design. Dynamic blending of gameplay pillars enables multiple routes through the world, matching consequences of any scale with decision making at nearly every turn.

10) XP allocation decisions

In DX, Augmentations helped expand your abilities, while Skills helped improve your strengths. This meant that experience points were always distributed carefully, with emphasis put on those aspects of JC that you applied most often. In Human Revolution, Augmentations take on both roles, expanding your abilities by improving strengths. The decisions of applying XP are pretty much the same, though with more precision available than before for building character strengths.

Last edited by Jerion; 11-15-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Gamer

Very good! Thumbs up from me!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Hero

Brilliant, much better than the Gamesmaster "article," and much more encouraging than anything that's come from anyone from EM (barring possibly Kyle.) EIDOS MONTREAL: GIVE THIS MAN A JOB, DAMMIT.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Gamer

this should be merged with the other thread

** just saw this thread was posted by a mod - don't ban me! **
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Order of the Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
this should be merged with the other thread

** just saw this thread was posted by a mod - don't ban me! **
LOL. You're banned.

Thanks for great post, Jerion!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
This is in response to that other article that doesn't really cover the stated topic. Here are ten things that Human Revolution has, ten ways, ten reasons why it is faithful to the original.
Now we just need a nay-sayer to write the counter: "
Ten things that Human Revolution has, ten ways, ten reasons why it is un-faithful to the original."
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Community Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindill the Red View Post
Ten things that Human Revolution has, ten ways, ten reasons why it is un-faithful to the original."
Oh, for that you'll need to wait until February.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Gamer

Nice work, Jerion. The "Games Master" could learn a thing or two from you.
And I'll second Ashpolt's sentiment: EIDOS MONTREAL: GIVE THIS MAN A JOB, DAMMIT.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Order of the Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
Oh, for that you'll need to wait until February.
Which can't come soon enough!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindill the Red View Post
I think most of us naysayers are out of energy, lol. It's disheartening to have to criticize a game that most of us want to love.

I'm just going to bask in the mild encouragement of Jerion's post for now.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix View Post
I think most of us naysayers are out of energy, lol. It's disheartening to have to criticize a game that most of us want to love.

This. I'm pretty confident I could write a "10 reasons DXHR won't be faithful to the original" article just based on what we know already, but I'd just be repeating various points which have already been dredged up time and time again. We already know all the reasons that are being thrown around: no need to have them in list form.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Protagonist

The first videos we saw made me feel like this game was vary unfaithful, however as more stuff is coming out and as we see how things are getting more and more finalized I'm finding myself noticing a lot of features and elements that make it look more like a Deus Ex game. I guess I'm back to being optimistic... I hope I don't jinxes it.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Permanent Vacation

The brilliant thinker is comfortable in uncertainty.

A great game?

A great Deus Ex game?

A mediocre experience?

Only time will tell for the individual.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Permanent Vacation

Ah, now that's how you do it! Finally an excellent summary

Someone needs to post this in the comments of that other article.

EDIT: I actually did just that

Last edited by Kodaemon; 11-15-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Community Tyrant

I'm glad you guys like my contribution.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatPhoenix View Post
Out of energy? Disheartening? Not really. Moved on? Yeah. I'll tip my hat to DX3 and enjoy it for what it is. There's no point in talking without communication, but before we had the benefit of the doubt.

Instead I'll criticize Jerion!
In a wishy-washy passive aggressive way:
Point three mentions only the goal.
While point ten mentions only the method.
The rest of his points could be spot on, but we'll see that in the game!

Really though, it's all good when you bring it like Jerion.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Gamer

Nicely written.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Gamer

Very nice, thanks for that, Jerion. It's more or less in line with what I was hoping you'd post pos-tour.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Gamer

That's all very good. Just hope it's enough.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Protagonist

Fantastic Mr. K! And very well written... for the most part.

It makes me want to lie naked in a stockpile of Human Revolution DVDs and mediate on many deep thoughts.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
It makes me want to lie naked in a stockpile of Human Revolution DVDs and mediate on many deep thoughts.
You just want to lie naked on a pile of DVDs. Your lust for entertainment is well-known throughout the kingdom, and beyond.

Post-article reaction: And people say it's complicated to communicate with the fanbase? All of this could've been presented a year ago, without the smallest of breach in confidentiality. Notice that K speaks like a gamer here, and doesn't sound like Scrooge has inserted a PR implant up his ass.

EM: Speak to us about the experience, damnit! That's all we care about, and that's all we want to know. Next time the marketing feels like saying anything, anything, stop, and think about how it relates to game experience. If it doesn't, rephrase it, or keep it to yourself.

There, the great mystery of community management is solved! Go on and pass the word on Twitter.

Last edited by FrankCSIS; 11-15-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Community Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers View Post
Fantastic Mr. K! And very well written... for the most part.

I wrote it at four in the morning, in a slightly foggy state of mind. It's been a long day and my mind may be a little bit broken now.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Gamer

I'm very surprised you were allowed to say that much about the game. I'm sure there's a few points there that have cleared up concerns for people and given us some hope that it will be a good game .. even maybe a good Deus Ex game. I see no reason to think that if Jerion got those impressions from the game that I wouldn't as well. Anyone that likes Firefly is a discerning guy in my books.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Gamer

That's the best pitch I've seen for this game, by far. Nice work.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Gamer

Here's another reason, Eidos Montreal carefully went to evoke iconic established characters in the series.

The first look we had of Adam Jenson was unlike any character I have ever seen before, but in later trailers he donned both sunglasses and a trench coat to bring back warm feelings of JC. The first we see of Federova was a slinky barely human female appearing out of thin air with some sort of therm-optic camo device before psychotically massacring countless human beings as only Anna Navarre would. Barrett the accented brute with heavy mechanical augmentations is also a throwback to homage. Eidos Montreal could have chosen to put any number of characters and outfits to focus on in the trailers, but two out of three feature these traits that emulate familiar traits. Eidos Montreal knows the Deus Ex is always watching and ever constant like the Echelon program, and wants to please us.

Whether it's faithful or not, I have a feeling we will receive this better than Invisible War.