Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widescreen hack/framerate uncapper for SR1

Default Widescreen hack/framerate uncapper for SR1

I've made a quick hack to fix the stretch-o-vision in Soul Reaver 1 when playing in widescreen resolutions, and to allow changing the game's default framerate cap of 30 FPS to something a little less headache-inducing.

Screenshots of 16:10 widescreen at 60 FPS (but any aspect ratio will work):

It can be downloaded here. Just extract the files to the game folder. You don't need to do anything other than select a widescreen resolution in the configuration dialog -- it will work automatically once this is installed.

The framerate cap can be changed in the .ini file (it's set to 60 FPS by default). I wouldn't recommend setting it much higher because the game will start behaving oddly. 60 FPS works mostly normally, though I've noticed that Raziel can jump slightly higher than usual. You can also enable debug keys in the .ini to speed up game time (useful for cutscenes you've seen a million times), possess monsters or show the debug menu.

Not working here. Is it compatible with wrace's fixed exe's or the original ones?

It's only compatible with the one included in the .zip, which is the same as the unofficial XP/Vista compatibility patch on The Lost Worlds but has been modified to load the hook .dll at startup. You'll probably need the English 1.2 version of the game as well.

If you don't want to replace the executable for whatever reason and are handy with a hex editor, here are the offsets to change in the 1.2 exe for widescreen support:

Offset 0x000EB358: Change AB AA AA 3F (1.333334 as a float) to CD CC CC 3F for 16:10 widescreen or 00 00 00 40 for 16:9.

Offset 0x00384F7 and 0x038509: Change the 21 (33 in decimal) at these locations to the milliseconds between frames of the framerate you want. You can figure this out by dividing 1000 by the framerate (1000 / 30 is 33, for instance).

I checked this dll by creating the appropriate hex-fix for my version of kain2.exe (also I think that there is simplest way to add this dll): though I have the notebook with widescreen resolution, this resolution does not appear in the initial menu... I already have option for activating debug menu by cheat-code 16443, so it is not needed for me (+ in my version of debug menu there are fly mode)... Possessing does not work propely - monster just stay in its place without motion... hm, but speed up is a very useful thing for skipping in-game cut-scenes (can you create another one for SR2?)

P.S.: but it seems that graphics became better - but I am not sure...

P.P.S.: now I added the appropriate patch to realize this SR1-Hook support for any uncompressed version of kain2.exe v.1.2 (i.e. for my version also), - you can take it here... I hope that Tos will update your version of SR1-Hook.dll to eliminate some glitches...
    Last edited by wrace; 11-11-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: adding PS...
    All the LOK-fun you'd want you can find below.
    signature image

So this hack does not really make the game playable, bugs and so on?

hm, it is needed to play in SR1 more time to test this hack for any bugs...
    signature image

Hey wrace

Is there a way to apply this patch to the current version of SR1 with bink support?

I've never done hex editing before but I guess I can give it a try :-P

An exe to apply the appropriate offsets would be awsome :-) I'll see if I can use a hex editor to apply this patch to the Bink supported version of the EXE.

Hi TheArkive.

Yes, there is a way to apply this patch to any version of SR1 (and with bink support too), - look here (IV. OTHERS: Fix for any kain2.exe (SR1-Hook support)): just take SRHook.dll and SRHook.ini from SRHook10.zip (do not take kain2.exe from this archive) and place them into the game folder with installed SR1; after download my patch (for this hook) and apply it on the kain2.exe which lies in the game-folder (this patch applies the appropriate hex-fixes for any kain2.exe, - you can view them in the file patch.xml in the folder scripts of my patch).
    signature image

Hm ... I think I'm still missing something. I've downloaded the SR1-Hook from nosgothica site, but I don't see where YOUR patch is. I only see SR1-Hook and it has the INI, the DLL, and the EXE, but no patch program.

Is it right in front of me?

BTW, I tried doing the HEX editing myself and it worked :-P

EDIT:
    Oh wow, sorry! I clicked on the SR1-Hook dll link, but not the SR icon to the left. My bad!

Thank you, Tos. Your services are most graceful to the community.
    I was once a vampire prophet like you... then I took an arrow to the knee.

why was there a 30fps frame cap to begin with?
    Is it due to being developed for the PS1?

This hack is fantastic! You should contact WidescreenGamingForum and add a profile for Soul Reaver over there. People will love it!

An aspect ratio fix for Soul Reaver 2 would be very welcome as well. The game supports 1920x1080 resolution natively, but unfortunatelly it stretches the image.

A quick question. Does the sound go haywire for anyone else after a few minutes with framerate unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
    A quick question. Does the sound go haywire for anyone else after a few minutes with framerate unlocked?
    It's perfectly fine for me. And I'm using a Realtek HD Audio integrated card.
    Last edited by The Hylden; 02-28-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: removed attempted profanity

Underking, please do not try and subvert the forum filters on language. Please be mindful of what is acceptable language when you post, as decried by the Terms of Use you agreed to when you signed up. A rule of thumb: if it's not language you hear in the games, it's not allowed here.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Underking View Post
    It's perfectly fine for me. And I'm using a Realtek HD Audio integrated card.
    Weird. I guess I'll check some other PC later. Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden
    A rule of thumb: if it's not language you hear in the games, it's not allowed here.
    Strange words, I believe. There are localizations of the games, so people can hear their native language in games, but it is not English.
    signature image

No, I meant the definition of the word "language" as in the level of cussing, profanity, or "adult language" that this is shortened from sometimes in English. I didn't mean language as in only the English language and no other. Hopefully that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey Tos - I have a question, I have put the dll and ini file and replaced the exe with the one in the SRHOOK folder, however, the result is a distorted camera view (much closer to Raziel) and the wraithblade attaches incorrectly to Raziel. Any way to fix this?

I have tried wrace´s patch for the exe, but I got the same result...

Before Hook:

After Hook:

(click image to enlarge)
    Last edited by The Hylden; 08-02-2012 at 01:17 AM.

As I was trying to explain in the other thread, the reaver or at least the core and the coil are rendered in screen space rather than world space. I was able to manipulate this when creating the code to turn it black. I ended up making it smaller/narrower to try to compensate for the lack of an alpha channel. PM me with your email address if you need more details.
    But here today we bleed, waiting for a bitter taste...
    ~ Carfax Abbey

Raina, with pics wider than 800 pixels, please use the thumb code. I think you've been asked before. We don't like the forum boarders getting stretched.

Thanks.

whoops, sorry about that, haven´t attached any pic in a while. my bad.

Can't we just have a more user friendly layout (one not limited to 800 pixels)? It's not a problem in CC subforum which adjusts to screen resolution.

Not sure what you mean, as in the Community Chat section we still have to correct people who post pics that are wider than 800 pixels. As far as I'm aware, the layout boarders are the same across the forum.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    Not sure what you mean, as in the Community Chat section we still have to correct people who post pics that are wider than 800 pixels. As far as I'm aware, the layout boarders are the same across the forum.
    Actually different skins have different layout capabilities. The LOK theme and a lot of the themes designed for specific game sections are typically designated between 800 and 900 pixel widths. Part of the reason why some of them are constrained is to allow for certain features of those skins to be displayed properly (e.g. background images for the entire page and for the thread indexs and post/reply boxes, etc.)

The other reason why many are constrained as there are a ton of people on the staff (both on and off the boards) who are web design savvy and realize not everyone has a widescreen monitor to accomodate wallpaper-sized images to be displayed without scrolling a mile horizontally or taking a million years to fully load. I know we live in a high speed internet era, but there are some who still operate on slower connection speeds.

Simply put, we have the [THUMB] tag, and encourage everyone to use it out of courtesy for our fellow members.

With that said, let us return this thread to its original purpose. Any further questions, comments and/or concerns on this matter can be directed to us via Private Channels.

Thanks & Happy Posting!
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast