Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding Question:How to open ARC files

Default Modding Question:How to open ARC files

The title basically explains it; I would like to make my own mods but I cannot find a way to extract the arc files. Does anybody know how or know where I can find out?
    Thanks

yes please someone clever give me access to the texture files

ill make the greatest mods if someone can 'open' this game up for modding.

Gosh this reminds me of GTA.

Me too! Me too! Is there some way we can ask the devs what kind of archives these things are? A brief search on Wiki suggests that the .arc format was used for compressed archives back in the late 80s, so I'm guessing this isn't the same thing.

Imagine this: plugins for importing/exporting from ur fav. 3d application, visual mapeditor, texture extractor, ...
    1 rule: never change the map relief..just add in "vaccant places"(tho u can dig inside mountins) ....after that move to a new continent...heh, modd_heaven

New areas would be nice, but I'm personally interested in tweaking NPCs and AI. For instance, adding a lot more civilians to cities, making soldiers show up in bigger groups, having army convoys on the roads instead of individual vehicles, setting SAMs to have longer range and more effective missiles, setting up an item like the beacon that would allow you to call in faction allies, making AI bail out of burning vehicles and generally behave less suicidally while driving.

Oh yeah, and I've noticed you can stand right next to enemy troops for quite a while before they notice you. How many spanish guys carrying buckets of high explosives and machinegunes are there in this country that they don't recognize you?
    Last edited by FrankManic; 03-26-2010 at 08:44 PM.

all I want is just have some fun with textures, new models, my dream cabin somewhere nice, etc...
    try to create realistic simulation of planes,Helli's&cars, ability to command allies....hell yeah, Microsoft flight simulator, ARMA and Dirt will starve...heh....i'm playing like this:http://www.youtube.com/user/2metri#p/a/u/1/PLR51vqT56g

Quote Originally Posted by FrankManic View Post
    Oh yeah, and I've noticed you can stand right next to enemy troops for quite a while before they notice you. How many spanish guys carrying buckets of high explosives and machinegunes are there in this country that they don't recognize you?
    I believe that's the point Eidos was making about lack of realism, if you think about it, in reality Rico would not be walking among the natives with any weapons on show,

I want to mod this game to allow him to use chairs, carry a sleeping bag, perhaps a moveable base camp with storage for weapons and vehicals, I grew quite attached to a cruiser 1300 yesterday before it got trashed by a native turning a taxi in front of it, ok ok! so I was flat out top speed with millitary chasing

Dreaming is fine and all guys but lets start some real talk on how we can extract the arc files - a guy made a plugin for an extractor a while back that worked with JC, but it currently does not work with JC 2, due to the new Avalanche engine probably. It probably needs to be updated with new offsets and such, eff, I just want those files

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuito View Post
    Dreaming is fine and all guys but lets start some real talk on how we can extract the arc files - a guy made a plugin for an extractor a while back that worked with JC, but it currently does not work with JC 2, due to the new Avalanche engine probably. It probably needs to be updated with new offsets and such, eff, I just want those files
    I agree.

Devs will not make it at all easy to edit these game files. If they were easy to edit, they would struggle to sell there DLC [on the pc] as people would make what they want for themselves.

By that logic the devs of Fallout and Oblivion wouldn't have wanted their community to make mods either, yet they gave us toolkits and stuff for them...

Quote Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
    Devs will not make it at all easy to edit these game files. If they were easy to edit, they would struggle to sell there DLC [on the pc] as people would make what they want for themselves.
    That is not entirely true. DLC is in a way a mod, as it adds content to the game like a typical user made mod does, but it is done by professional developers, namely the ones who made the game, so you get a high quality mod that is worth paying for - in theory. Releasing dev kits does not compromise this principle, it only solidifies the expectations that DLC needs to be worth the money - as in it could be done with the dev kit by someone else - but the amount of work that would go into it would be so much he [the user who made it in his or her spare time] would probably charge for it, since so much work went into it. But when a group of developers who are familiar with the game (they made it) they can pump out that same content in less time due to familiarity with the game engine - and the fact they all a team who know each other..

What I want is making it harder to lose heat. Since its epic fun jumping on a random car and having it drive crazily down the road grapple hooking the police to the road but its just hard keep the heat.

Looks like what you need is here.
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=915091
    It is near the bottom of the original post, titled "How to extract files from the ARC's"
    Looks like it is still in the works though.

i managed to extract the arcs, but in them is .offzip, wtf is offzip?

'offzip' is a utility to decompress zlib streams.

i cant find offzip anywhere, some dude on the other forums says in the arcs are DDS, but when i extract then, there .offzip, and i cant find offzip no where.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieSausage View Post
    i cant find offzip anywhere, some dude on the other forums says in the arcs are DDS, but when i extract then, there .offzip, and i cant find offzip no where.
    Try here.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qywtvm3ynmm

Hope that is the right one.

dont worry i figured it out, i think im getting somewhere now to =D

The link I posted isn't working. The file needs a password to unpack. arrrgh.
    How do you do it?

how do i do what?

Oh, you said you figured out the problem and are getting somewhere.
    I just wanted to see what you are doing.
    I just like to mod stuffz too. Like give Rico's face some makeup like the Joker's. lol

oh haha, yeah i got the offzip thing open, and theres DDS's in there, im new to this aswell so im just going by what im finding plus people on the other forums helping out.

to bad gibbed wont help us =(

oook..we getting somewhere..we got textures.....try to modify 1 of them in photoshop, just add a dot or something, in a Prezident poster or something eazy to find and recompress everything back to see if it's working the 2 ways...you'll need the dds tools for nvdia to may open dds in photoshop tho...next we'll need to find waht kind of 3d geometry they use...plz share the tools to decompress so we can work in paralel...10x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast