Thread: Thief 1 and 2 in Windows 7

Default Thief 1 and 2 in Windows 7

Hello everyone,

I have Thief 1 and 2 from Sold-Out and recently upgraded to Windows 7 on a 64 bit system. However, now every time I attempt to boot up either game, they immediately close shortly after making the clanking noise from the title screen. I have gotten the movies to work and am running the games as the administrator using Windows XP compatibility. I have tried the Nvidia driver fix but those drivers don't work with 64 bit. I think that is my only problem. If anyone knows of a driver that works or any other solution to this I would be very appreciative, thanks!

Did you remember to do the affinity fix for dual- and multi-core processors?
    Check the stickied threads for solutions.

Unless Windows 7 has unique characteristics that I am unaware of, the affinity thing is only necessary after the game graphics come up. Before that, when the "clanking" is heard (not very descriptive), you are at the main menu, which should work fine. A crash in the main menu probably means that something else is wrong. If you can fix that, then you can set affinity manually using the Task Manager while at the main menu, before starting a mission.

I am not sure what you mean by "Nvidia drivers fix" and why drivers don't work with 64 bit. You should be able to get drivers at Nvidia's web site that are compatible with your 64 bit (x64 I presume) operating system. Maybe you downloaded the wrong file.

Please describe your problem and attempted fixes more precisely. Also, list your system information, including CPU, graphics card model, and its driver version.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

hello,
    ı have a problem with Thief 2. when ı start to play the game it freezes. ı have read your previous solutions but ı couldn't set affinity of the thief process. ı used the Task Manager / Processes list to find the process. Right click on the process name, tried to enter Set Affinity but it gives error. meanwhile there is only THIEF2.EXE*32
    ı use windows 7 Home Premium
    HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 duo CPU P7550
    RAM 3,00 GB
    64 bit
    thanks for your help

What does the error message say? Do you have admin privileges on your computer?

I do not know if there could be separate issues with Windows 7 64 bit. You could do a search for Windows 7 and see what you find.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate", the warden (Strother Martin), Cool Hand Luke

ıt says: "access is averted"
    yes ı have admin privileges on my PC.
    I Played Thief 1 on the same PC without any problem and the game is wonderful so ı bought Thief 2 but ı can't play. ı searched for Windows 7 but only ı found something in "eidos forum"
    ı will be grateful if you can help me
    thanks

I had the same error. In the task manager there is the button at the bottom "Show Processes from all users." Click it and then try again to set affinity to one CPU. This time there should not be an error and you will be able to see all CPU in use. Uncheck all except one. It worked for me. I have Windows 7 64 bit and I have 5 CPUs.