Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras_Justice View Post
I would like Lara's edge to finally come back, i think she lost it after angel of darkness, she has to have more spunk this time, she has to be more aggressive and badass like the lara we're all used to, i am against adding that amount fear onto lara's character as they are adding in the game they are making now. I think it's a bit much and they're destroying what lara croft is world reknowned for.... you know?? so in the new game she'd better be tough as nails as she is meant to be
sounds like you missed the point of the new lara. thats the idea of the new game. to make lara emotional. to show that she was afraid, no idea what to do. its her first adventure. its like when you start your very first job. you are nervous. a bit unsure.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Deputy Villain

^ Or your first time on a rollercoaster... Your first tattoo... First kiss... First post on this forum...
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras_Justice View Post
I would like Lara's edge to finally come back, i think she lost it after angel of darkness, she has to have more spunk this time, she has to be more aggressive and badass like the lara we're all used to, i am against adding that amount fear onto lara's character as they are adding in the game they are making now. I think it's a bit much and they're destroying what lara croft is world reknowned for.... you know?? so in the new game she'd better be tough as nails as she is meant to be
I hope that 'edge' and that aggression/ badass nature do come back. That instability she had in AOD was so exciting. A volatile keg or explosive who could just flip out at any time. That Lara is a long way off but I strongly hope CD do go down that line and turn her sociopathic or ever psycopathic in the long run rather than all this emotional stuff. It's annoying to see too much fear or vulnerability in Lara but if it's just one game then it's okay. Give us her attitude back any day.

For the game after this one I want to see the explorer skills she has learned deployed not just in a survival sence but Lara on a mission where she wants to raid tombs - The start of the 'I only play for sport' concept.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Deputy Villain

^ Then she visits space?

The Lara without training wheels is the Lara we grew up loving, well, most of us. I honestly couldn't care less why Lara decided to become an archaeologist and how she managed to learn the ability to strike fear into the hearts of any passing man. She's Lara, it's just who she always was.

Having said that, I will enjoy TR9. Just because it's a Tomb Raider game.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Protagonist

I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but I'd like Lara to have some sort of military involvement somewhere. Somehow. Like, she doesn't need to be a soldier, but she is recruited or requested for something for her knowledge and she's sort of known for her experience on the island (the world doesn't need to know all the fantastical truth though).

Anyways, this outfit is inspired by that idea:

The idea of her being requested or recognized for her experiences is inspired the issue of the TR comics in which Lara's friend Vanessa calls her up to investigate a strange tomb she's found at her archaeological dig.

Last edited by larafan25; 12-21-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Gamer

I'd like to see what all British University Graduates do after leaving, go backpacking (plus it would give her an excuse to wear her classic outfit). The hub could be around hostels, and her university friends could be some of the supporting cast, maybe with the odd few with usable knowledge such as language skills for interpretation, or such, and initially sees this as a calm way to get over what happened, her friends not understanding. At first in this new locale, she learns about a local legend, one which she gets interested by, and soon enough, she learns others are in search for this relic, perhaps early gameplay can be like TRIII Nevada and TRAoD Paris levels where she starts with no guns and has to sneak around at first and use the environments and safe areas until she finds (or steals/borrows/buys some). She has to learn to become a sort of one woman army pursuing this relic while simultaneously avoiding being killed or get any of her friends in danger (such as revealing where she is staying, acting suspiciously and they follow etc), while balancing whether pursuit of knowledge is worth the collateral risk, or even why she is going for the relic, knowledge, fame or fortune? Mystical power? Essentially, learning to gain confidence and embrace life after what she survived, what could be worse?

I'd be quite intrigued to see Canada or Australia as the location, the former for harsh environments, lake levels, old mines, train levels, river rapid rafting etc the latter for vast deserts, deadly wildlife or even tombs in or under iconic areas such as the Barrier reef or Ayre's Rock. Not to mention aborigine artworks from both cultures that can line the walls of the tombs.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Gamer

I would like to see more origin concepts.
I want to see more of Lara shaping up to becoming a true Croft.
I want to see her struggle still, but still being able to be strong.
I want to see her make tough decisions,
and learn more lessons.

Edit:
I see where LaraFan25 comes from about the military thing. I want her to to endure a military experience too, somehow, as she gets more training and becomes the strong bad ass girl she must be, and perhaps there can be mysteries in her military involvement, that would be cool.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Protagonist

Yeah, I would enjoy for this series to be before she hits the TR standard, while she's still becoming TR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetford View Post
I'd like to see what all British University Graduates do after leaving, go backpacking (plus it would give her an excuse to wear her classic outfit). The hub could be around hostels, and her university friends could be some of the supporting cast, maybe with the odd few with usable knowledge such as language skills for interpretation, or such, and initially sees this as a calm way to get over what happened, her friends not understanding. At first in this new locale, she learns about a local legend, one which she gets interested by, and soon enough, she learns others are in search for this relic, perhaps early gameplay can be like TRIII Nevada and TRAoD Paris levels where she starts with no guns and has to sneak around at first and use the environments and safe areas until she finds (or steals/borrows/buys some). She has to learn to become a sort of one woman army pursuing this relic while simultaneously avoiding being killed or get any of her friends in danger (such as revealing where she is staying, acting suspiciously and they follow etc), while balancing whether pursuit of knowledge is worth the collateral risk, or even why she is going for the relic, knowledge, fame or fortune? Mystical power? Essentially, learning to gain confidence and embrace life after what she survived, what could be worse?

I'd be quite intrigued to see Canada or Australia as the location, the former for harsh environments, lake levels, old mines, train levels, river rapid rafting etc the latter for vast deserts, deadly wildlife or even tombs in or under iconic areas such as the Barrier reef or Ayre's Rock. Not to mention aborigine artworks from both cultures that can line the walls of the tombs.
I love the idea of having no tools at first, and having to purchase weapons from perhaps a shady seller/ source.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Yeah, I would enjoy for this series to be before she hits the TR standard, while she's still becoming TR.

I love the idea of having no tools at first, and having to purchase weapons from perhaps a shady seller/ source.
Me too.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Gamer

I'd love the game to end on a cliffhanger.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Gamer

Maybe take a note from Skyfall and tell a story about a time when Lara is attacked and has to rebuild everything. That continues the survival theme
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
But why? D: Its kinda hard because we all know she survives and makes it off the island
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
I do NOT!

We have seen this mess before! There is an overwhelmingly big change that in the next game the developers will be unable to wrap up all the storylines from the previous game(s) properly and that the ending will be ANOTHER incoherent nonsensical mess like in TR Underworld, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed 3, Call of Duty MW2 and heaven knows how many others...

That is why I seriously urge every game story to be contained within one game only.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Maybe take a note from Skyfall and tell a story about a time when Lara is attacked and has to rebuild everything. That continues the survival theme
So you're saying after Lara escapes the island and returns home, she's has to start over from scratch, rebuilding everything she had after all the progress she made while on the island?

Please tell me I'm wrong about what you meant there, because I keep asking; why does this sound familiar?

Oh that's right, BECAUSE WE ALREADY DID THIS IN METROID PRIME SERIES

I'm sorry, but not only would this be a pointless repetition of the previous game (the one we're soon to play) but this whole mechanic (or gameplay theme if you prefer) of losing everything and having to recollect it, is already become an all too common gaming cliche.

Not just in Metroid Prime, Assassin's Creed 1 saw this same design where Altiar starts out awesome, but after disappointing his master is somehow conditioned to lose his abilities and must retrain himself. In AC2 after Ezio builds himself up what do we see in Brotherhood? A massive attack on his homestead and lo & behold, must require all his assets again.

Enough is enough.

Where ever the next game goes, it should be to build upon the foundation that was established in the reboot. Not force us to start over from the ground up as if we didn't already previously.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Gamer

Easy.
After her adventure of gore, madness and emotion on the island, Lara realises her secret love for mass-destruction and murdering people. In heart, she finally felt like someone big during the happenings in Japan. Getting back home she's aware that her life got back to normal, and eventually starts feeling useless and bored out of mind. She'll struggle with her own sanity and in the end decides it's the best to give herself in to the feeling. This'll cause half of Earth's population disappear.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM
Gamer

Lara Croft is back! After her ill-fated journey with the Endurence crew, she's armed with the skills to do what it takes to find her mummy and daddy in this latest adventure.

Click here for more juicy details!

Last edited by just*raidin*tomb; 01-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underhoe View Post
Easy.
After her adventure of gore, madness and emotion on the island, Lara realises her secret love for mass-destruction and murdering people. In heart, she finally felt like someone big during the happenings in Japan. Getting back home she's aware that her life got back to normal, and eventually starts feeling useless and bored out of mind. She'll struggle with her own sanity and in the end decides it's the best to give herself in to the feeling. This'll cause half of Earth's population disappear.
Only half? Surely she can do better
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
Only half? Surely she can do better
She is saving the other half for later, so the first half will satisfy her needs and then once she is bored again boom the other half gone!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTombExplorer View Post
She is saving the other half for later, so the first half will satisfy her needs and then once she is bored again boom the other half gone!
Doesn't really need half the world to satisfy her needs. I'M plenty up to that task

Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Gamer

I've actually been thinking of something similar larafab25
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
Doesn't really need half the world to satisfy her needs. I'M plenty up to that task

Oh.. oh you went there alright D:
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Gamer

hmm let's say Lara finds a old diary and reads it and finds interesting things about the island
Old 01-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Protagonist

Go to University and have PhD in Archaeology.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
Go to University and have PhD in Archaeology.
Joking. Right?