Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 09-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Hero

Exclamation "Microsoft" virus alert

Just received this including a virus, luckily Norton caught it, but if you get this, don't opne the attachment. Microsoft NEVER send out emails like this, it head the authentic Microsoft logo and everything.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft All Products | Support | Search | Microsoft.com Guide
Microsoft Home

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an malicious user to run executable on your system.

System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Contact Us | Legal | TRUSTe
2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Protagonist

Cool

I think I got 3 or 4 of them today! They were quickly & politely shown the fastest route to the trash bin!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Immersion Killer
Eidos Moderator

Lightbulb

Thanks for the warning, got it too

Speaking of viruses I'd like to warn for the following, I've already received two mails today, coming from a 'postmaster' account that says that it was unable to deliver an e-mail to certain persons. Do not open the mail, it contains a virus in the attachement, Norton will catch the virus butt still pay attention. You can easely recognise the virus since the size is about 146kB which is way to much for such an e-mail.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally posted by Solange
I think I got 3 or 4 of them today! They were quickly & politely shown the fastest route to the trash bin!
Haah, I got one too Solange but wasn't nearly as polite as you

Tks for the warnings dhama and @m.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:40 PM
Protagonist

Sorry you picked this up dhama

I did post a warning regarding this on the 19th, but no one posted on the thread and it died

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=24453

Sorry you did'nt see it in time.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Hero

Cool

Thanks mate, but I must've missed that one.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:55 AM
Gamer

I've had and am still having the same problem, both the Microsoft-appearance one and the ones saying messages could not be delivered to these weird e-mail addresses. One morning I checked my Inbox, and received no less than 38 of the damn things!

A lot of people on a newsgroup that I'm subscribed to reported the same problem. I unsubscribed from that group, and since then the volume of these e-mails have dropped considerably. Now I'm only getting perhaps 4 max at any one time.

I don't know if that knowledge helps anybody. By unsubscribing from the newsgroup, it didn't stop me getting them altogether, but it did cut them down substantially.