Thread: "Ridicule is NOTHING to be scared of!!!"

Rolleyes "Ridicule is NOTHING to be scared of!!!"

ANGER!!!! Thats how I feel having just watched the documentary on channel 4 about Adam Ant. Adam Ant was an 80s icon, and in my opinion a living legend. The struggles this man has experienced hiding the shame, as he sees it, of bi-polar disorder is tragic. The media, who loved no-one more (well maybe Princess Di - but look what they did to her also) in the early 80s, should feel downright guilty for a lot of this man's pain. But then to feel guilt you must have some idea of compassion and compassion is just not a trait that you will find among the world's media. I have shed more than a few tears tonight, and I wish with all my heart that something could be done to reign in the media.

Long live Prince Charming, may he perform once more!!!!!!!!!!

'Compassion' and 'media' are two words that don't go together my dear friend. Never have and Never will

Rolleyes

UGH! Anger anger and more ANGER!

I was just looking for you over at .be to discuss this. Came here, wrote a reply went to post it, and the damn computer crashed, and that on top of the docu has left me so annoyed I can't post an opinion right now because it would all be in capitals!!
    ARGH!

Rolleyes

I was hoping you would come online TTL, I posted it over at .be too in hope that I would catch you here or there. WOW!! The pain was horrendous, that man is soooo tortured, I felt so sorry for him!!! It really is time that something was done about the media, they dabble far too much in people's lives with little or no consequences. My grandmother always instilled in me that for every action there was a reaction, and that I had better be ready to accept responsibility for that reaction as I owned it. Shame they don't work on this principal!!!!!

Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
    for every action there was a reaction
    Ahh, one of Newtons Law's. (Albeit slightly bastardised)

I do enjoy Physics

I just thought i would lighten the mood...

Default Adam Ant?????

Adam Ant, an 80's ICON??

Welllll, Ok...

Only thing I remember by him was the VIDEO of "Goody-Two Shoes"!.... It was fun...and other things best not described here

Alot of "famous" people can't handle the hype the goes with It or the "has-been" (hey, being a "has-been" is LOADS better than being a "Never-Was"!) status when its over.

The media destroying someones life? Yeah, that never happens......(ONLY daily!)

Laramaniac, Have a question:

Whose media destroys people more, British/U.K. or American?

I only know British media by rep.....

Lightbulb Re: Adam Ant?????

Originally posted by WBS
    Adam Ant, an 80's ICON??
    On this half of the globe, yes!

Funny this should come up now. I just recently listened to some forgotten tapes of my old band (circa 1982). They were tapes of live performances.
    We opened the shows back then with Adam's Press Darlings.
    They lyrics say it all:

We are guilty, we are beyond hope
    We beg to differ, we are a terminal case
    Press darlings, press darlings, press darlings
    Press darlings, press darlings
    We depress the press, darlings
    We're on the outside, but we're not looking in
    We are the vaseline gang, don't play your little games
    Press darlings, press darlings, press darlings
    Press darlings, press darlings
    We depress the press, darlings
    And if evil be the food of genius
    There aren't many demons around
    If passion ends in fashion
    Nick Kent / Bushell is the best - dressed man in town
    Are we different? - no
    We are exactly the same
    There are no boxes for us
    The ones you love to hate - so read on!

I had no idea that Adam Ant had the problems you speak of.
    I wish him only the best.

Exclamation ....another uninformed comment.

Originally posted by WBS
    Alot of "famous" people can't handle the hype the goes with It or the "has-been" (hey, being a "has-been" is LOADS better than being a "Never-Was"!) status when its over.
    You're beginning to sound like every other damn tabloid in print over here.

25 years of suffering and all the papers do is mock and deride -what disgusting excuses for human beings.

Default horrible news

This is business as usual for the tabloid-journalists. They have learned that no one is interested in nice things that happen to nice people. No. What really sells is misfortune and suffering.

Twisted is what these people become, and like soldiers they become hardened and cynical, even amused by the sad events they will ernestly report to the rest of the world with perfectly straight faces, with just the right amount of emotion as indicated in the telepromter.

Turn off your tv. It is poison.

Unhappy

Too true Projo, too true.

Rolleyes

Since the tragic death of Princess Diana I have not bought a newspaper. I am not interested in glam mags, soap mags or any other such tripe, this part of the media feast on people's misfortunes I will not be party to this!!!!!

Yes WBS - Adam Ant is an 80s icon! Whose media destroys people more British or American?????? I have no idea, both probably do a pretty good job, why do you ask such a question???

I totally agree with you projo, and in a way I'm annoyed with myself for watching the channel 4 program, but on the other hand it gave us, Adam's fans, a little more information on his pain!!!! So sad!! Somehow I feel that this will get the better of Adam!!!

I feel that at least something positive will come of it.

Anger and resentment at the media's treatment of him I am sure is not exclusive to a few people.

This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, to be singled out and exposed in their tragic circumstances, but the decent, human, heart-felt reactions of thousands of well-wishers will certainly count far more than what any group of cheesy "journalists" might have to report !

This could well be a life-affirming experience, for someone who has fallen from grace through no fault of their own.

Nowhere to go but up.
    Last edited by projo; 07-18-2003 at 05:06 PM.

Unhappy

I sincerely hope you are right projo!!!!