Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 05-21-2003, 11:43 PM
Hero

Talking "That is SOOOOOO wrong!!!"

I was watching an old X-Files episode the other night, and was reminded of an incredible howler in it that I had seen years ago and forgotten about.

But it may not be obvious to others.

Our 2 heroes had taken some video footage to an "expert" for him to zoom in and clean up an image...and he was able to provide UNBELIEVABLY clear results...similar to the ones Harrison Ford got in "Blade Runner".
But I digress.

What made this even more unbelievable was that to do this image manipulation, the "expert" was using an old (even by mid-90's standards) 2 machine video editing console!

It has about as much to do with image manipulation as a football does with nuclear physics!

The producers probably assumed that 99% of the audience wouldn't recognise it and would think it was genuine high tech gear.

I wondered if anyone else has seen something in movies or TV that you know to be blatantly wrong, purely because of your working background or interest in certain areas?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Ex-Admin

Talking

I once saw some kind of US action series. And they started the story of one episode in WW2. So you see a Castle with lots of Swastikas (As you know every German lives in a castle). They show lots of Wehrmacht Soldiers and then a car appears. And right enough it was a Mercedes. But the model they were using was from the 1960's.

Same happened in Star Trek Voyager. There were those Hirogen that ran a WW2 simulation on the Holodeck. Since it was set in France you can see this french car:

It is a Citroe:n 2cv6. But the color indicates it was build in the 1980's.

Last edited by GoranAgar; 05-22-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:57 AM
Protagonist

Cool ....I'm always seeing things that are blatantly wrong.....

Was it 'Shadows'

And that kind of eh hem, 'mistake' keeps happening, the only instance I've seen where they've actually mentioned the limitations of that kind of image manipulation was in an episode of 'Due South', would you believe! (As if any more proof were needed that show was great )
Old 05-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Ex-Admin

Cool

And let me mention Stargate SG-1 with it's episode "Wormhole Xtreme".

(I had to google this)

REESE: Guys.

MARTIN: Ah Miss Reese.

REESE: Ah I'm having a little trouble with Scene 27. It says that I'm out of phase which means I can pass my hand through solid matter or I can walk through walls.

DELUISE: Yeah. Cause you're out of phase.

MARTIN: Exactly.

REESE: How come I don't fall through the floor?

Old 05-22-2003, 03:08 AM
Ex-Mod Emeritus

Like you, Dave, for me it was an X-files episoode. One of those "black oil from space" episodes, one of the less important reoccurring characters ("the blonde UN/spy babe", forget the character name) is calling "the agency" or whatnot from a payphone. She tells the distant end party that they can discuss whatever secret thing that has to be discussed over this line, because "its secure."

No it ain't!, sez I, on account of in order to have a secure phone line, there has to be a physical encryption device on both ends of the circuit, which would need to contain the same electronic encryption "key" or code. The character connected no device to the payphone, the inferrence was that just dialing a particular number constitued establishing a "secure line", and that's just----

SOOOO Wrong!

Old 05-22-2003, 04:13 AM
zombie pirate

Lately I've been watching Thunderbirds on TechTV.
They've been showing triva and other interesting FAB tidbits with captions
during the show. Thye've been poiting out some of the ingenious things used
in making props. Like vacuum cleaner parts, hairbrush handles, and so on.
And, oh, the good old fashioned osiliscope.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:05 AM
Protagonist

Talking I'm proud as I can spell it

Quote:
Originally posted by John Carter
("the blonde UN/spy babe", forget the character name)
Marita Covarubias.

And along the lines of Thunderbirds, my uncle used to watch Dr Who and be able to point out exactly which car parts they'd made the aliens costumes out of

Last edited by THE True Lara; 05-22-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Ex-Admin

Cool

A friend of mine does that with alien weapons and vehicles. He knows exaclty what tank or gun they rebuilt.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:16 AM
Hero

Thumbs up

'Blakes 7' was great at using fast food foil trays as wall-plates in spaceships....

Theres a line in "The Ring" where someone says you can trace where a videotape was recorded using the info embedded in it.

No - you can't. But that would have held the film up slightly.

*it is possible to insert a little info in the VITC, but that is also used primarily by sub-titling folk*
Old 05-22-2003, 06:45 AM
Gamer

I find lots of movies that show hackers seem totally out of it. I program, I dont hack, but the code that people are supposed to type just doesnt match what they would be trying to control, and the speed at which people type doesnt match the keys that are being hit.

My best movie blooper so far is the gas tank in the Gladiator, watch when the chariot turns over, a nice gas tank is visble, ooops.

Also watching some old movies with British colonial soldiers, I have seen a few that were supposed to eb set in the 1800s, except the soldiers and warriors have wristwatches.

check out www.moviemistakes.com or www.imdb.com for some nice mistakes, just be careful, after reading these, you will drive everyone you watch a movie with crazy and they will send you into the room with the small little tv and no nice couch.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Honorary Moderator

One of my favourites is in the film 'The Eagle Has Landed'. It is set in the early 1940's and tells the story of a small group of German soldiers who parachute into a small British coastal village to assassinate Winston Churchill. In one scene, in a field next to the church, you can see high up in the sky a Boeing 727 or Trident flying over. As we all know, these aircraft didn't appear untill 20 or thirty years later.

Or in an episode of the 80's, UK TV series 'Robin Of Sherwood', Will Scarlet climbs a tree and you get a very clear view of his Doc Martin boots and Calvin Klein underpants.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:33 AM
zombie pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by bond0bhave
...after reading these, you will drive everyone you watch a movie with crazy and they will send you into the room with the small little tv and no nice couch.
ROTFLMAO!

And speaking of intentional cheese, on one of the hatch doors on the space station
on Mystery Science Theater 3000, there is a silver painted Hungry Hungry Hippos game.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Forum Grinch

The most common ones are costume errors and automobiles.

For example in the movie The Musketeer (2000 or 2002) the hero does not wear the Musketeer cape until the climactic scenes at the end.

In a scene just before the big battle to rescue the queen, he is working around a carriage. He walks up to the vehicle in his old clothes, as he gets there the Musketeer cape suddenly appears on his back. He walks away from the coach, the cape vanishes. Then one of the Musketeers with him throws him a cape to put on.

Or the good guys and bad guys have a car chase. They crash into each other repeatedly. The cars get damaged. One or both of them get away, and: Same car, Same guys 10 hours later the car(s) are undamaged.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Gamer

Well, it was X-Files, again. (Actually I figurered they did this stuff on purpose, kinda like the humour they use). Anyhow, they are searching for a villain/monster in Iowa and when you look at the forest they're walking through it has ferns and fir trees, typical of the pacific northwest. Iowa has no fir trees and sometimes has very little trees at all. It definatley doesn't have ferns, but it does have many, many pigs.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Protagonist

Wink

Yeah but you have to take pity on that kind of thing, because before Duchovny got hitched they had to film everything in and around Vancouver.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Gamer

Hey! What's wrong with Vancouver??
Old 05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
Protagonist

Smile

Absolutely nothing, infact I've always wanted visit, unfortunately, however, it can't double convincingly for the whole of America
Old 05-22-2003, 08:40 PM
Gamer

As someone mentioned the Ring, I had one thing bugging me about it. If the girl made the tape out of thin air (with magicor whatever), why would there be a tracking problem that had a cut image in it? I know there had to be some way of moving the story to the lighthouse, but a tracking error on a tape she makes with her mind?
Old 05-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Hero

Red face

She should've mentally projected on to DVD instead.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Forum Grinch

Talking

Re-reading about the fuel tank in Gladiator, reminded me:

In a thrilling car chase with lots of vehicles turning over or flipping of ramps. You can often see the Mortar tubes under the cars. (a steel tube filled with black powder or other explosives that are fired to make the car flip over). While the vehicle is spinning in the air.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveJ
She should've mentally projected on to DVD instead.
Just a case of approaching release dates causing quick, poor editing.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by theBlackman
Re-reading about the fuel tank in Gladiator, reminded me:

In a thrilling car chase with lots of vehicles turning over or flipping of ramps. You can often see the Mortar tubes under the cars. (a steel tube filled with black powder or other explosives that are fired to make the car flip over). While the vehicle is spinning in the air.
Watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the lost ark last night, a scene where the truck tips over you can see the ram clearly, it is the bnit where he is in the market looking for the girl who is trapped in a big basket.

That at least could be explained away, but seeing a gas canister in gladiator is a bit out of place!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 01:32 AM
Forum Grinch

For the less picky or technical minded, the trick they use for flipping cars is interesting.

We all know about the hidden ramps in the market stall, or just behind the stalled car they are racing toward (hidden on the side away from you so you can't see it)

But the straight shots where the car is racing toward you and blows a tire or loses control is a little sneakier.

They weld a 8, 10, or 12 inch diameter steel pipe into the car. The upper part of the tube is sealed, and a powder charge is put in from the bottom. Then they put a piece of tree truck in there and secure it inside the tube against the charge.

When the device is fired, the section of log acts like a piston. Fired out of the mortar into the ground it lifts the car into the air and starts the roll-over action.

Sneaky them special effect boys.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:24 AM
Gamer

Damn, that is sneaky, I like the guns stuntmen use in shots, whcih make it look like dirt is being shot up, Iwould like one, would make the ugly people who make me watch Tv in the small room with horrible tv dance, thats right "dance you sonsabes" HAHAHAHA