Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > General Eidos Community Forums > Community Chat

View Poll Results: Do you like this concept?
YES, as long as it's optional 17 89.47%
NO (please specify why not in your post) 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
New Player

That is such a great idea. Would give such sync with outside and game world. Only bad thing about it is where I live all we get is rain so would be bad for that to duplicate in-game.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulgbrtzchllha View Post
What you're describing was done in Animal Crossing. It even has animals that are only out during the day or night and special events on holidays. And you can always just save the game, change the date and time, and then go back (I used to do this). I remember at a Shadow of the Colossus message board years ago there was someone who was saying how cool it would be if the world changed according to the seasons, and someone involved with the game posted there and said that they were thinking of doing that sort of thing in games eventually.
Interesting!

Thanks for sharing that

buymoviesonline
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Protagonist

Wish I had seen this thread before so I could jump into the conversation earlier. Oh well, here's my thoughts anyways:

This would be a really cool idea, but it has to be executed correctly. Like some of the other posters have said, it really suspends the 'virtual' reality when you realize something out of your control is really pulling the strings. For example, in the game Dead Rising, you can go outside when it's 10pm and it's dark, but if you're playing at 11am, that won't really work. It also doesn't really make a whole lot of sense (despite the option to disable it) to 'force' gamers who want to utilize the option to play only during certain times.

World of Warcraft has already implemented something like what you're suggesting. While I cannot actually remember if there are sunrise/sunset moments, I know that there are restrictions on activities and item collections for certain times during the day. This is certainly easier for an online game, but there are certain fish that can only be caught at night because they are nocturnal for example. The time is of course based on the server which you are playing on, which may not necessarily reflect your curent location.

It would be really interesting to see how something like this could be done without dragging the game out too long, or causing the gamer to feel like they have been cheated. For example, if the gamer starts playing at 10am, and finishes the game at 2pm (for whatever reason), then the events of the story would take place within a 4 hour window; probably not too realistic especially if there's travelling involved or any type of time 'hiccup' if you will that would distort the storyline. For other people, they might take 24+ hours to accomplish the same thing, and if they were playing straight for that long, their experience would vary based on the mechanic that is suggested.

It's a cool idea, but it seems like it would be hard to pull it off without severely annoying people (even if it's optional). Would this only be for certain games, or would the expectation be there to incorporate it in all games?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis296 View Post
Would this only be for certain games, or would the expectation be there to incorporate it in all games?
Only for certain games, yeah. Like sandbox style games for example.

For zombie slayer games where the game is set in constant darkness, it wouldn't make much sense, no

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
New Player

Your a very intelligent gamer. I think developers need to keep you in mind when they make games so that they know people specifically who are deep within the social network of gaming and know what the most gamers desire. Its people like you and others that mold the games we love to the standards we want to live by or play by. I think too many times, developers design or create ideas based on their knowledge rather than a majority of what people want.

Here is a quote written by a game designer that I feel to be true on many levels , " 'The player is paramount', is a phrase all game developers should remember. Great game designers have a certain amount of love or respect for their players. If you're not helping your players feel happy and fulfilled in some way then you shouldn't be making games at all. Don't make games just to express yourself. Don't make games just to impress other game designers. Think about the players too. Make games that are fun, games that satisfy, games that make your players feel like you care. " (Duane Alan Hahn)

You care and thats an important quality
Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Whoah, my thread back from the dead!

Nice contribution, JustCause2Stunts

Yes, I agree that some devs seem to have lost touch with what gaming is all about :/

I'd go into detail, but TZB's sig is already full

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driber View Post
Whoah, my thread back from the dead!

Nice contribution, JustCause2Stunts

Yes, I agree that some devs seem to have lost touch with what gaming is all about :/

I'd go into detail, but TZB's sig is already full
You cheeky Driber, you.

Oh, and I clicked on the link...just to see what it was...becasuse obviously you wouldnt post spam/torrents/etc...and now, I should probably clear my history....I was expecting to see a funny pic or something...but that is way too much.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Gamer

It would have to depend on what game I was playing. While it might be alright for the weather outside to be the same weather as in Cyrodiil, it wouldn't be appropriate when I was killing headcrab zombies in Ravenholm.

While it's an interesting idea, I'm not sure if it will catch on with developers. If your game is meant to have a dark setting and you need to get a certain atmosphere across, having the weather update to be the opposite isn't going to fit very well into the game.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

^ Yup, it would only work in games like open sandbox style, for example Just Cause 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zoo Boy View Post
You cheeky Driber, you.

Oh, and I clicked on the link...just to see what it was...becasuse obviously you wouldnt post spam/torrents/etc...and now, I should probably clear my history....I was expecting to see a funny pic or something...but that is way too much.
Sorry about that. I also thought that as moderator, I should not post a link to a site with such extreme images, but I was - as you said - in a cheeky mood.

I suppose I should remove that link....but I'm just too lazy.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
^ Yup, it would only work in games like open sandbox style, for example Just Cause 2.

Sorry about that. I also thought that as moderator, I should not post a link to a site with such extreme images, but I was - as you said - in a cheeky mood.

I suppose I should remove that link....but I'm just too lazy.
Now everyone wants to click on it...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 AM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Nah...members are well behaved here. They'll stay clear

Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Protagonist

Sounds a great idea but definately optional as some players might always play at night. Where I live in England we have has rain most days of the last month so I agree with Scion_powered that I wouldn't want a month of rain on the video games I am playing too. I like that you could get different seasons and seeing areas in the colours of Autumn or covered in winter snow could be real cool.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Nah...members are well behaved here. They'll stay clear
HEY!!! What is that supposed to imply about me!?