Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Thief > Thief General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Gamer

Nice
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Gamer

Just want to point out that one trailer that looks good doesn't mean anything about the game itself. So I don't think any of the posts (at least in the first page) is at all justified, as you have no clue of how or what the game even looks like.

And that's why I very rarely watch game trailers.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Gamer

True, but the cg teasers usually show off some of the mechanics of the game. Assassins creed showed off the free running, Arkham city showed off the use of new gadgets like the smoke pellets, etc...
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
True, but the cg teasers usually show off some of the mechanics of the game. Assassins creed showed off the free running, Arkham city showed off the use of new gadgets like the smoke pellets, etc...
And then there is the Dead Island trailer.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
I'm refering to game trailers. In which there's nothing else than cinematics that rarely ever show you any particular gameplay elements. Just like the one on the OP.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Gamer

CG teasers at least usually give a general idea of the style of game the developers are going for, if nothing else.

Here's Bethesda's officially uploaded version of the trailer in the OP:

And for those wishing for more actual information about the game, I really liked these videos:

Some stuff about the story, the level design (which sounds very cool), and the player's abilities.

Art direction.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Gamer

From french previews, the journalist said that's a great game with an incredible design,.... just nofrag.com regrets that the maps are not as big as first deus ex and thief 1/2 .
Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieknor View Post
That sure looks interesting, but im not sure about it, i dont think i'd like that game.
I could only watch the trailer and it's more like assasin's creed than thief.

Quote:
It’ll also be possible to complete all of Dishonored’s missions without killing a single person – including your targets.
Quote:
full first person
Dishonered might be more thief than thief4, depending on the direction they take w/ T4.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaruts View Post
I'm refering to game trailers. In which there's nothing else than cinematics that rarely ever show you any particular gameplay elements. Just like the one on the OP.
AGH I thought that was just the new trailer!!!!! And now It's pulled so I missed it....
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Gamer

No one reads RPS here?

Corvo Blimey: A Dishonored Preview
Quote:
Stealth. Sliding, sprinting, climbing, leaning to approach via rooftops and through windows. Creeping unseen through the Golden Cat. Possessing rats to creep past guards. Hiding in the shadows, which enable you to be essentially invisible even if an unaware enemy has a direct line of sight. Waiting, watching, listening. Suddenly stabbing, and then teleporting to a high cranny while holding the body, so it’s hidden from other patrolling guards. Finding one of the targets, in the steam room with a courtesan. Deciding against confrontation. Finding a valve. Turning it. Boiling both occupants of the steam room. An accident, they’ll say. Though the posters and anxious conversations around Dunwall means suspicion will fall Corvo’s way nonetheless.

Upstairs. More creeping, more silent assassination, radar vision to ascertain where the guards are looking. And soon to the top floor. The other Pendleton, in conversation with another courtesan. She would see everything. Unless… high-level Possession. Taking control of Pendleton. ‘Hey, you don’t look so good. ‘ Walk him to the balcony. Exit him. Windblast over the railing before he realises you’re there. No witnesses. A terrible accident...

Lazily, I’d call Dishonored an exceptionally comfortable and rather more stylish halfway house between BioShock and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, with more than a little Thief and Hitman seasoning the stew.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:24 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaphy View Post
There is this new game being developed by Arkane Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. Why is this interesting you wonder? Because it's clearly influenced by games like Thief and Deus Ex. Harvey Smith is helping them with that mind you. The game is set in a "steampunk" city and has stealth based combat. It certainly looks interesting and I wonder how this game will turn out. Since we don't have much to discuss I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Here is a link to some footage.
"DISHONORED New Gameplay..."
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by CBS.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Gamer

That's really annoying, and all other youtube hits on Gameplay are just people talking about it without showing any gameplay whatsoever. I hate it when things get hyped, and I feel a little bit guilty for participating in the hype myself.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Gamer

Did the OP's video have any gameplay in it, though? I'm pretty sure I watched it and I think it was just the cgi teaser.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Gamer

no, OP was CGI allright.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Gamer

Has anyone readed this?
http://sneakybastards.net/theobserve...the-iron-mask/

I really like how they┤ve worked on the AI and the shadow mechanics.
I specially like how the AI can actually detect you in the darkness if they stare at it long enough.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Gamer

Sounds like they are doing what EM is supposed to be doing. But I expect Thief 4 to be a slower and less action-oriented title.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Permanent Vacation

The way you structured your post make it seem like you think that "slower and less action-oriented" is somehow bad for a Thief game. But I'm sure that's not what you meant.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Gamer

Sounds really good........the only thing I didn't like about it was the vision mode, where you can see enemies close to you through walls. It seems like every modern "stealth" game has this feature, and at least imo its annoying. One of the things I loved of the original Thief games is not knowing, other than by the noise they made, where guards or servants were. It seems to me they think we forgot how to use our ears, so they need to hold our hands, give us a way to automatically know where every enemy is, then say now go kill it.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 AM
New Player

There is an assumption amongst many triple-A game developers that a game must be playable with the sound off, as apparently many gamers prefer to put their own music on whilst playing.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Gamer

^ I guess I can understand that, but for me a Thief game needs to be played with the sound on. I don't know if Eidos is still using GRAMPS or not since Paul Weir is no longer Audio Director for Thief 4 or not, but from what we heard it seemed imo very faithful to the original games.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity View Post
The way you structured your post make it seem like you think that "slower and less action-oriented" is somehow bad for a Thief game. But I'm sure that's not what you meant.
Not bad, it is a must The way the first two played. Dishonored was described as a sped up Thief. Which can be fine for a title of its own, but not for a Thief game.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseywales1027 View Post
.the only thing I didn't like about it was the vision mode, where you can see enemies close to you through walls. It seems like every modern "stealth" game has this feature, and at least imo its annoying.
As long as the game gives a logical explanation about the hability(In Dishonored you play as an "assassin" with superpowers)I dont have anything against it.
If the game gives you the hability for no reason other than to make the game easier,thats not that great.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Gamer

dude with robot legs and he is using a bow with all same looking games that i avoid to play this could be something refreshing hope its out soon
Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubbedToDeath View Post
dude with robot legs and he is using a bow with all same looking games that i avoid to play this could be something refreshing hope its out soon
And the bow has EXPLODING ARROWS.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Permanent Vacation

E3 gameplay presentation
Closed Thread