Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Legacy of Kain - General Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM
formally known as Corlagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrace View Post
The words "The gift continued to evolve" is true - remember lieutenants in SR1.
Well, it's assuredly true, but I believe Paradoks is raising the fact that, as cut dialogue, it isn't supposed to be part of the real intro. No valid, officially-released version of Soul Reaver should have those words in its opening FMV.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Gamer

The Divine Shadow's version was 70+ MB I think. I can't remember now, and I lost the file in an unfortunate accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrace View Post
Guys, intro from extras of SR2-PS2 - it is OFFICIAL hi-res Eidos-version of the file, which was created at least 2 years after SR1-release, so I think that it is more right version.

We do not know from where the other version is obtained and why does it have black borders and frame-by-frame moving picture (sometimes).
The words "The gift continued to evolve" is true - remember lieutenants in SR1.
But the sound for whatever reason is from the early, unreleased version. Lost Worlds clearly refers to it as an early version. All retail games (PC, PS1, DC) use the other version. That in my opinion is the main argument to use that one.

Quote:
Do you check this?
No, but works with everything else (on the PC I'm posting from it works for rpl files). I will try the other PC later (I will have to change the cables - maintaining aspect doesn't work through VGA).
Old 04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

I'd have replied earlier, but I was waiting for this to upload. Here's the link on SendSpace for the intro:

<<link removed, due to advertisements >>

Paradoks, you can take a look, and anyone else, and see that it's the proper one. wrace, this is the official intro, without the black bars and at the proper frame rate.

As for the differences, don't just take our word for it, check out blincoln illustrating it on TheLostWorlds.net

Here's the comparison videos just to watch here (not the one I uploaded, just sharing these YouTube vids for you to see which is the right dialogue and which isn't):

The official version, the one that we all know:

The Alternate version, and the one you currently have in the bik patch (uploaded by the user from blincoln's site):

Besides the different dialogue, that growl added when Kain sees Raziel's wings is also your telltale sign that this is not the right version. The official release only has an added growl over Raziel's scream, after his wings are taken out. As Paradoks stated, the delivery of Michael Bell in the alternate version is also not as good, as it sounds very matter of fact and detached, compared to his final delivery.

Oh, and you asked earlier what the retail PC version of the FMV actually looked like? It was a terrible mess, with added scan lines and heavily pixelated. It looked worse than a FMV game from the early nineties.

Further: you said my version is stretched, wrace? You mean because Kain, Raziel, etc., look thinner? That's how they actually look. You version on a widescreen monitor/tv stretched the image wider and makes them look thicker, but that's now how they are supposed to be rendered.

Paradoks: a few mb either way probably won't matter much.

Edit: and I did render the previous video at a 4:3 aspect ratio, just in case. That video comes out at 61 mb, so it was the black bars and slightly larger frame that increased it to 100 mb. So, again, the one here I'd added to SendSpace is the best version.

Last edited by The Hylden; 04-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Gamer

Thanks the Hylden.
Just to make sure - we are allowed to post links right? Because least time I remember that happened (even though I didn't have an account here then) it ended with a banning spree .

If it's OK I'll upload it on Hotfile and provide a link (sendspace seems to have a lot of adverts pretending to be download links).

About the few MB - depends on how you look at it - it's either few MB or 25% . If anyone has the 70 MB version it would be beneficial, at least for comparison's sake.

OK - I'm going to bed now - it's 2 a.m. here. Goodnight everyone.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Hm, well I didn't realize SendSpace would do that. The main page and the upload page are advert-free. Yes, if you could upload it to another host that doesn't use advertisement scams, that would be appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll have to edit out the SendSpace link in my post.

Thanks.

And I am not saying you aren't possibly right. The 70 mb version might very well be better quality. However, it just might have been slightly blown up like the one that I had at 100 mb seems to be (minus the black bar thing going on). The 4 3 aspect ratio means you have a few options for pixel rates, like 640 x 480, or slightly larger at 720 x 570, or another in between, (or, you can double those with a large file, but this isn't germain here), which would account for the 25% increase in size (independent quality). If the file was converted to an AVI at a slightly larger frame size mentioned, it's only blown up without any further detail added. But, the file was most likely added at 640 x 480 to begin with on the SR2 disk back when, wich means that this *should* be it's proper size now. Again, perhaps I'm wrong. It would be nice for comparison sake. I was very careful to look at the quality of this, though, and the detail is as sharp as I've seen it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Eidos Moderator

There is also a 70MB version? Mine comes from a SR2 rip from ps2 and is included together with all SR2 cutscenes. I do not remember from whom I got it though. It is 49MB (and appears to be 4:3 since it has black borders). I do not know how to convert it into bik (Iīll look into it).

Paradoks: Iīm downloading your version from gog to see if itīs better than the one I have.

Last edited by Raina Audron; 04-29-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

No need to upload it if it has black boarders. That's been the whole reason why I've been trying to upload another version.

After looking at the Hotfile sharing host, I think it looks safe enough, so here's the link for the official FMV 57 MB file (correct 4:3 aspect ratio), replacing the one I had from SendSpace:

https://hotfile.com/dl/154469217/b3a...l_4_3.avi.html

Raina, to convert to bink, use rad video tools.

Edit: this sure has been a crazy two pages of posts
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
There is also a 70MB version? Mine comes from a SR2 rip from ps2 and is included together with all SR2 cutscenes. I do not remember from whom I got it though. It is 49MB (and appears to be 4:3 since it has black borders). I do not know how to convert it into bik (Iīll look into it).
I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly so I checked. In 2008, 9 months after I lost the file I tried to recover it from a colleague who got it from me earlier. He didn't have it any more unfortunately, but I checked my correspondence and my description of the file was:
filename: probably 'SR2.avi'
filesize: above 70 MB (either 74 or 76).

there is a chance I remembered it wrong but I don't think so.
It was definitely 3:4 (it was before widescreen monitors became popular). I got it from 'media amnesty' thread. I'm sure there is someone out there who still has it.

Edit:
Does that 49 MB file have proper audio?
If it has it and comes from SR2 bonus material, and Wrace's doesn't have it and comes from SR2 bonus material, then I'm officially even more confused than I was yesterday.

Meanwhile, I'm Binking the file the Hylden provided. I'll provide the links once I'm done encoding and uploading.

Update:
Done.
Link.

I had some problems with finding correct compression values. What I post here is default values with best sound quality. I tried 'make the best quality possible' approach, but that resulted in a 1.2 GB file that didn't look much better. Basically Bink has huge problems with macroblocking no matter the setting.

The aspect ratio stuff. The screen is stretched despite the settings for me. I think that it may be due to the framerate being 29.97 fps instead of full 30. I'll upload pillarboxed 16:9 and 16:10 versions later (once I remember how to use VirtualDub ).

Last edited by Paradoks; 04-30-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Eidos Moderator

Hylden: it has vertical borders on both sides but quality is good (640x480), looks the same as Paradoksī version.

Paradoks: Wrace canīt have the beta intro from SR2 bonus materials - I have it on my ps2 and it is a retail version, not beta there. Also, that 49MB rip has the correct audio as well.

I have tried your 640x480 posted on gog, Paradoks. I donīt mind the black borders, thatīs how my version looks as well when I play it in media player. Works good in the game, thanks! Looking forward to the widescreen version

Last edited by Raina Audron; 04-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoks View Post
Update:
Done.
Link.

I had some problems with finding correct compression values. What I post here is default values with best sound quality. I tried 'make the best quality possible' approach, but that resulted in a 1.2 GB file that didn't look much better. Basically Bink has huge problems with macroblocking no matter the setting.

The aspect ratio stuff. The screen is stretched despite the settings for me. I think that it may be due to the framerate being 29.97 fps instead of full 30. I'll upload pillarboxed 16:9 and 16:10 versions later (once I remember how to use VirtualDub ).
The framerate has nothing to do with the aspect ratio. I also don't remember having so much problems binking my own vid. Let me give it a try tonight and see if I have better luck.

Quote:
Hylden: it has vertical borders on both sides but quality is good (640x480), looks the same as Paradoksī version.
It doesn't have any boarders, not on my end.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
It doesn't have any boarders, not on my end.
hmm, that is strange... which resolution are you running the game in? I have 1366x768.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

I think I see.

Play the video file separately in a media player like DivX, or I think Quicktime's player works. You'll see it's not bordered (until you play at full screen, where the player will fill in the sides of your monitor with black on its own). You must have your graphic card set to play videos at their native resolution (like Paradoks suggested I do with mine earlier), which means in the game, it's going to play it at a 4:3 rez, despite what your monitor is. It will leave empty space on each side of the video as if you were playing it in a media player at full screen (like I described above here), but this isn't added with the video.

That answers that question, at least.

Edit: binking the vid is going well. It looks like it will be 130+ mb at the end of it, which is just about what the other one was I use, and the one that wrace had with the patch. Not sure why it was jumping up to gigabytes on your end, Paradoks, but such is the way of digital media.

I'll upload it to HotFile afterward.

Edit: looks like it uploaded faster than I anticipated.

The link:

https://hotfile.com/dl/154594062/839...l_4_3.bik.html

Edit 2: So, after downloading Paradoks' intro and comparing it with this one I just uploaded, I see no stretching, nor visual, or audio differences. His is the larger file, at 190 mb.

Last edited by The Hylden; 04-30-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Wrace canīt have the beta intro from SR2 bonus materials
And yet Wrace claims he does.
Quote:
I have tried your 640x480 posted on gog, Paradoks. I donīt mind the black borders, thatīs how my version looks as well when I play it in media player. Works good in the game, thanks! Looking forward to the widescreen version
The file I posted on GOG is actually the Hylden's 1280x720 version. If your card does not stretch my earlier file then you don't need my widescreen versions (which may take a little longer than I expected). There are meant for people like me who can't prevent the stretching.

Quote:
The framerate has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.
Let me explain what I meant. With my card, sometimes the image is stretched, even though the setting is set to 'maintain aspect ratio' so it should have black borders even if the original file does not. It happens very rarely, but when it does it's usually caused by the framerate.

Quote:
Edit 2: So, after downloading Paradoks' intro and comparing it with this one I just uploaded, I see no stretching, nor visual, or audio differences. His is the larger file, at 190 mb.
I choose the best audio compression (perceptually lossless). That may be the case.

Also - what software did you use to add the borders for your earlier version?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Let me explain what I meant. With my card, sometimes the image is stretched, even though the setting is set to 'maintain aspect ratio' so it should have black borders even if the original file does not. It happens very rarely, but when it does it's usually caused by the framerate.
Odd

Quote:
I choose the best audio compression (perceptually lossless). That may be the case.

Also - what software did you use to add the borders for your earlier version?
Most likely. Might as well use the larger version.

And that's how the earlier file came as the AVI, so I didn't add any boarders. I *could* add boarders for this new one, though, if you need it. I have Final Cut that I edit with, so it's no problem.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Gamer

Quote:
I *could* add boarders for this new one, though, if you need it. I have Final Cut that I edit with, so it's no problem.
Thanks, there is no need just yet, I'll ask for help when I run into trouble. I have to refresh my memory on how to write that Avisynth scripts for at least one more reason. All this talking about the intro has given me idea to remaster the credits video. Does anyone know what were the names of the fonts used in the credits and Moebius' verse video? And are there any higher quality artworks than those hosted on Nosgothic Realm?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Eidos Moderator

Hm... Oh, I see. Well, for me itīs solved then thanks, both of you.

Paradoks: The closest font I can think of which looks like that is Morpheus...
what about the Chrono visions? Is it possible to get them at higher res?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Gamer

Not unless someone from CD posts them or someone hacks the game to the point where they can be recreated in game engine. Which is highly unlikely unfortunately.

Credits can be recreated from scratch without much problem. It's just text music and artworks. I found some artworks in threads Divine Shadow posted, but I'm still missing some with acceptable quality. I guess I'll post a 'developer blog' in SR section in one or two days .
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

While they're at it, they can post the ultra high rez Intro that probably exists somewhere in this known universe haha Until then, yeah. I'm just glad we have what we have. The PC version has shaped up to be by far the best version visually, including the intro. Coming from it being the worst version back when, well, that is an amazing transformation
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Eidos Moderator

Paradoks: I see, I am definitely up for getting the credits at higher res, that would be awesome if you could do it, Iīll take a look at if I got some pics at good res at my pc.

About the Chrono visions - I think Jake and me could recreate those at a high resolution, it would just take a while because Raziel has to be animated properly (we already have the locations or can build them to resemble those from the visions).
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Well, I'd hold off on trying to recreate them by animating them using the assets and engine from the game. I think that might be going too far for CD and Eidos.

I'm not saying either way, but if this is in regards still to the GOG version, then I think erring with some caution on that might be prudent. A higher rez version of a video, or recreating credits using the same fonts and images, well, that's one thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Eidos Moderator

The Hylden: we donīt have or use the SR1 engine. And I donīt think recreating the scenes just as fan art videos violates anything.

Last edited by Raina Audron; 05-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
formally known as Corlagon

Why would it be going too far? They'd just make a higher-res video, nothing bootlegged or playable. I can't imagine it's any worse a copyright breach than reusing CD's concept art.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

I'm simply putting it out there as a caution, not saying either way what the companies would do in this case. My concern is simply to try and protect you guys going forward.

And fanart this would not be, if you're making the videos to replace the ones on GOG that people download with this game. For your own personal use, sure.

It may very well be that this is all fine and my concern is unwarranted. So much the better if it is. I can check for you in the meantime, as soon as the person who could find out is back from vacation.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Gamer

Quote:
The PC version has shaped up to be by far the best version visually, including the intro. Coming from it being the worst version back when, well, that is an amazing transformation
Well, the game itself (not the movies) looks exactly the same as it did back in the day. Framerate unlock is the only real difference. That and the resolutions of today's monitors. When SR was released I was playing it at 30 fps at 1024 x 768. Today I'm playing at 60 fps at 1680 x 1050.

Quote:
And fanart this would not be, if you're making the videos to replace the ones on GOG that people download with this game. For your own personal use, sure.
These definitely won't be included in GOG version. At least I can't see that happening. The only thing that can be done is posting links on forums for anyone interested to download.
Intro is a bit different thing because it's simply incorrect at this point.

Anyway, for those interested - pillarboxed versions:
Intro 16:9
Intro 16:10
I probably could have kept the size a bit lower with other compression options, but I don't think a few MB matters that much theses days.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Well, the game itself (not the movies) looks exactly the same as it did back in the day. Framerate unlock is the only real difference. That and the resolutions of today's monitors. When SR was released I was playing it at 30 fps at 1024 x 768. Today I'm playing at 60 fps at 1680 x 1050.
Have to disagree here. The better textures at higher resolutions of course has always been, yes. However, the PC version used to carry over the very same warbling texture effect that the PSX had, where, for instance, blocks would never remain solid, 90 degree-angled blocks as you panned the camera around, but would distort ... same with the world around. Now, blocks stay blocks, and so does the world's textures. In fact, the only other version that ever laid claim to this same difference was the Dreamcast version. This is why I asked wrace in the other thread if he used code, somehow, from the Dreamcast version to fix this. He said no, but something sure has been fixed in this regard. I'm not making that up, either. If I had old screen shots from ages past, I'd show them to you.

Quote:
These definitely won't be included in GOG version. At least I can't see that happening. The only thing that can be done is posting links on forums for anyone interested to download.
Intro is a bit different thing because it's simply incorrect at this point.
Then, never mind my concern.