Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Gamer

Default Advice on how to spend Praxis Points?

Hi everyone. I've been playing DE:HR for a few days and have reached Tai Yong Medical with about 12 unspent Praxis Points. I didn't realize I'd have such a hard time figuring out how to spend them!

I read a couple of guides before I even began playing the game and I planned out what I wanted, for example:

Hacking: Capture (all)
Hacking: Stealth (all)
Typhoon Explosive System
Punch Through Walls/Lift Heavy Objects
Carrying Capacity (all)
Icarus Landing System
Dermal Armor

and even a few other optional augs.

At this point I have all ranks of Capture and Stealth, Punch Through Walls, Lift/Throw Heavy Objects, all ranks of Carrying Capacity, and I only just now got Icarus because, frankly, it seemed like a waste of 2 points just to be able to move around a little easier. But with so many extra points I finally decided to get it.

I've heard the 2nd boss may be hard enough to make Typhoon worth getting, but again it seems like a waste of 2 points (despite my overflow of points!) just to take out one boss. I suppose I'll see when I get there.

I also decided Dermal Armor wasn't really worth the points because I play stealthily anyway, so I shouldn't be getting hit. If I'm spotted, I reload and try again.

All the other augs really don't seem that useful. I don't think I need to see through walls or cloak myself, and besides, efficient use of those augs seems to require more points in extra energy cells as well, and a more constant use of energy bars to replenish them. Thus far I've been fine with my one refilling energy cell.

Also, I tried 2 points in Multiple Takedown and then tried to take down a guard (with another guard sitting right next to him) and it didn't work. It only took down the one guard. Am I missing something here? So I reloaded and removed those points for now.

Any other advice would be welcome! Thanks!

John
Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 AM
Gamer

Its important to note that the game gives you so many points, you will likely have most of the augs by the time you finish the game regardless.

With that in mind, stealthy characters will benifit most from the hacking capture and hacking stealth augs, Icarus landing, lift heavy objects and improved jump height (they allow you to reach locations that you would not otherwise be able to reach and open some new paths).

Improving the radar so enemies don't get the jump on you, and the double takedown also help in my opinion. The two guards must be close together, and you will notice the takedown icon will change, showing you can hit 2 opponents. It is very useful as many parts of the game have several guards very close together or moving in teams, and the ability to down 2 at once, silently, is very useful. Also - in a bizzare decision, you can't seem to use double take down if the guards are at different heights -- if one is standing and one sitting, you have to get them seperately.

If you are stealthy but lethal, punch through walls is good, otherwise it is only good for looting some extra goodies in some spots. If you use scoped weapons a lot, the aim stabilizer will help with your scope sway making longer shots much easier - especially important for tranq gun users where head shots are vital in a crowded room.

I also recomend increased invintory space (more stuff to carry means more options on how to deal with guards), cloak (useful in some rooms where it is hard to stay out of sight), and run silent. All have limited uses, but you will probably be thankful you purchased them at at least one point in the game.

Once all that is handled, the Casie mind-reading aug, and vision upgrades can be useful in select scenarios.

Everything else... use your best judgement .

PS - the typhoon is the ultimate "I screwed up and now have to kill a whole room of guys but haven't been investing in combat gear" aug. If you are stealthy and reload a save after getting spotted -- don't bother. If you are the type that doesn't load a save even after they have been spotted and everything goes to hell, the typhoon will save your ass in the late-game. Don't worry about the second boss.

Last edited by singularity; 04-30-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:11 AM
New Player

I like to get hacking and all the exploration perks first.

I would get hacking to at least level to 4 (i go to 5
), but none of the hacking enhancements unless you have some free points. Then I would add to the one that makes your node defense stronger. Once you figure out how to hack and have a few virus's and time stops, it is easy without any of the other enhancements. Only go up one level at a time until you start to run into harder hacks later in the game that require another level. Just keep one praxis point in reserve for when you reach the point that you need to upgrade hacking.

Jumping, lifting and punching in that order really open up a lot of different ways to do things. You can also find extra bonuses like praxis points with them. Rebreather also gets you into a few places you can't get into.

Typhoon makes the annoying boss battles trivial, but that is it. I always get it before the first boss.

I get cloak when I have some free points, but I rarely need it.

Double take down is nice too, but you can always do a take down, eat an energy bar and do another right away.

Icarus is fun but not necessary.
Dermal armor is not really needed unless you really want to go guns blazing. Even then you will still most likely die.

Carrying capacity is fine, but the 9mm with armor piercing and the tazer and laser sight is enough for almost all situations, but if you have a free point later in the game it can help.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Gamer

Thanks for the tips. I went with the Social Enhancer and it was pretty cool. I won a few conversations and got the extra 1000 XP, so that was a nice bonus.

I'm now at 21 unspent Praxis Points, so it's definitely time to start splurging. I have everything I would consider "necessary" already, so I think I'll go with some of the more useful things like Jump Enhancement, perhaps quicker energy cell regeneration (although I know it only affects one cell), and maybe I'll try See Through Walls as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Protagonist

Dont put too much into hacking because you will almost always find alternative routes or keycodes.
ONLY put points in hacking when you really need it.
It is usefull to have 1 spare praxis point unused just in case.

Cloak is only really useful when fully upgraded. If you decide to go cloak, go full or leave it.

Icarus landing system is a must imo.

Don't put praxis points in the stealth stuff. Not necessary.

About the multiple takedown: You have to stand close to BOTH of them. It works every time.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Protagonist

Icarus Is fun, and it's a great failsafe in exploration, esp the city hubs. it allows you to try all kinds of crazy rooftop stunts, knowing you won't die if you screw up.

Typhoon is purely an anti-boss weapon--not worth the points, imho. prior to engaging the second boss, there will be a room to your left. pick up the heavy assault rifle and use it. really, it's that simple.

Hacking capture+stealth are nearly a must. Wallpunch has its uses. I think I can think of maybe 2 places where rebreather is pretty handy.

Social enhancer is nice, especially since every nearly every convo battle is linked to an achievement (if you're into those)

I generally upgrade Dermal armour (because it seems to be hte most "practical" upgrade, even if you stealth. They DO help against bosses, somewhat.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kud13 View Post
Typhoon is purely an anti-boss weapon--not worth the points, imho. prior to engaging the second boss, there will be a room to your left. pick up the heavy assault rifle and use it. really, it's that simple.
Exactly. I always made sure I had 2 spare PPs, just in case, but I was able to defeat the first two bosses without having to resort to Typhoon. Despite the horror stories I've heard about the boss fights, they weren't THAT bad.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Gamer

GET SWIMMING!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Gamer

Spend them to benefit your gameplay style. Stealth, shooting or hacking.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerim View Post
GET SWIMMING!
As much as people hate on it, I can think of 8 places off the top of my head where it was very beneficial to stack Aqualung and swimming. esp considering that swimming usually requires flashlight, which is an energy drain as is.

now, Enviro resistance... THAT was a useless skill.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Gamer

I agree that Hacking: Fortify is under-appreciated. At half the cost of Stealth, two points to max out as opposed to four, it's an effective means of boosting your early game hacking ability. My second runthrough I invested in Fortify in lieu of Stealth. I found only level five challenges to be problematic and by the time they came into play I had saved up enough hacking software to bypass them easily.

Cloak is useful to get through laser beams or past security cameras if you're not playing a hacker but still want to play stealthy. My most recent playthrough I decided not to take any hacking augs and cloak has come in useful on several occasions. As for see-through-walls, this was a favourite aug of mine in DX1; however, I think it's utility has been diminished substantially due to the fact that the cover system allows you to see around corners at no risk to yourself. I think people would be taking this and the tagging aug with more regularity if the game were a straight up FPS.

Jumping, heavy lifting, and, to a lesser extent, punch through walls are good augs for finding all the little nooks and crannies the developers threw into the game. They're good exploration augs. Not necessary, but worthwhile if you want to see -everything- Human Revolution has to offer. Same goes for Icarus, though I don't use it myself just because I enjoy the tension of navigating heights.

Inventory capacity and dermal armour are probably the two most practical augs. The former gives you more versatility, which makes it more useful in relation to the -fewer- other augs you take. The latter basically just adjusts the difficulty one degree lower. Hard with maxed out dermal armour is like playing Normal without, Normal with armour is like playing Easy without. Kind of disappointing when you put it in that perspective.

Multiple takedown can be useful though occasionally it's a little finicky. In the grand scheme of things, though, I think the main reason to take this aug is to see the nifty animations. But as has been stated, unless you're trying for the Ghost bonus you could easily replace this aug with a couple of candybars or gas grenades. If you rely on takedowns as a primary means of dispatching enemies, though, a good aug is battery regeneration. It makes the game more fluid than having to wait between taking down successive targets.

I tend to take the sprinting augs which are distributed between feet and lungs. I never particularly found them useful in combat but with all the praxis points available it makes travelling through the hubs more convenient. My time is precious, I don't like spending it walking around maps.

I'm not a "hardcore" gamer. I've never played DX1 above normal difficulty and I thought Witcher II was an unforgiving pain in the neck. Really, though, Human Revolution is easy enough I think the only way to make a -real- challenge of it is to play with minimal augs. My first run though all I took were the Conversation, Hacking, and inventory augs, just because I didn't want to miss any story exposition and I didn't know yet what items would really be important. Other than the boss battles (Federova was -hell-) I didn't have a problem getting through the game. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't punishingly difficult either. By contrast I can't imagine playing DX1 without augs.

Quote:
As much as people hate on it, I can think of 8 places off the top of my head where it was very beneficial to stack Aqualung and swimming
I'm actually interested in hearing this. The only two places where I can think of swimming bonuses as being useful are Ocean Lab and the collapsed tunnel in Hong Kong. Otherwise I can usually get by with a rebreather and, in a pinch, health regen. One of these days I want to play DX1 and select all of the least useful augs just to see how differently the game plays out.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Protagonist

1) first time in NYC-getting into the NSF warehouse- sewers in the alley full of LAMS, open the sewer grate (use a valve) --requires a long swim
2) tunnels under La Guardia-- there's a stretch with some serious swimming if you fail the collapsing platforms jump.
3) Additionally, if you don't want to go through the elevator to get to the airfield, there is a sewer hatch in the warehouse (with the helicopter, the flamethrower-toting NSF, and snipers), that takes you to the boathouse where you find the second Ambrosia barrel.
4) Hong Kong-Canal road tunnel, obviously useful.
5) Paris, Catacombs--if you're trying to be stealthy when getting into the NSF bunker, there's a long-ish swim involved.
6) Paris, knights Templar--the alternative to avoid heading in through the front door is the well.
7) The sunken part of the maintenance tunnel in Vanderberg--not a necessity, but there's some neat loot. (also I think there's at least 1 key there that you do need)
8)Ocean Lab- Didn't think of this one, but also a good catch.
9) the alternative way of getting into Area 51.

for most of these, health regen CAN be sufficient. however, most underwater requires a flashlight, so that+regen is just additional energy drain and when you surface and you need energy, it may be an issue.
Oh, also, on Liberty island--the sunken barge off the North docks. (the one with the sawed-off shotgun)--it's pretty hard to get all that loot w/o taking at least some health hit.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBashar View Post
I agree that Hacking: Fortify is under-appreciated.
Me too.

Quote:
As for see-through-walls, this was a favourite aug of mine in DX1; however, I think it's utility has been diminished substantially due to the fact that the cover system allows you to see around corners at no risk to yourself.
Yeah but the cover system only allows you to see past cover, not through walls or ceilings or floors. I rather like the Smart Vision aug; it's much more intuitive than the radar, which can get too cluttered.

Quote:
Jumping, heavy lifting, and, to a lesser extent, punch through walls are good augs for finding all the little nooks and crannies the developers threw into the game. They're good exploration augs. Not necessary, but worthwhile if you want to see -everything- Human Revolution has to offer. Same goes for Icarus, though I don't use it myself just because I enjoy the tension of navigating heights.
Jumping and lifting are also useful to a stealth character. Many areas have blocked "back door" routes that let you bypass patrols completely, provided you have the aug to move or jump over the blockage.