Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Gamer

Default "The year is 2051"

What would you guys think of a Deus Ex title taking place in 2051? I take that as a date because we can infer from dialogue and information files in DX1 that a lot of crucial events happen at around the same time in this year.

To name just a few...
- the destruction of the Knights Templar at the hands of Manderley
- Paul Denton's nano-augmentation procedure (possibly also Bob Page's and Walton Simons')
- the bombing of the Statue of Liberty
- the start of the Gray Death epidemic
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Loser Loverboy

I'm well aware the majority here will like it, but personally I think it'd make the game "too predictable". We already know how most of those turn out.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlabbergasty View Post
- the destruction of the Knights Templar at the hands of Manderley
This clearly happens well before 2051. Manderley is practically retired by events in 2052 and even Simons makes a joke of it, offering him a job as a librarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlabbergasty View Post
- the start of the Gray Death epidemic
I doubt we will see this, since characters involved aren't generated by Mary de Marle/Eidos Montreal. I think this is what Romeo means by "too predictable", it's just not new enough.

Quote:
- the bombing of the Statue of Liberty
Have a hunch that 9/11 is still a sore subject with many people and this will weigh in decision-making.

Jock and Paul though are definitely good fodder, they've obviously been through a lot together.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Gamer

It could be good! But I think it relies too much on DX1, as said. And I really like how EM has brought new factions, characters and events into the fold, while still retaining the timeline and flavour of the IP.

Almost certain DX4 will take place soon after DXHR, though - e.g that-sub-at-the-end; TML + lategame DXHR details; Icarus Effect cliffhanger, etc etc. DXHR writers are definitely aware of the DX timeline, too - eg Icarus Effect references the important events between 2027-2030 in one sentence, for instance (and at least one Lazarus broadcast does too, come to think about it)

Also a Jock cameo would be BADASS

A far-future DX could be really interesting - could really push the far-out mindbending aspects of cyberpunk, although i guess it would be a little too like science-fiction (ie less contemporary) to be a 'true' DX game
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Gamer

Throw some curve-balls in there and I am game.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
New Player

I've thought allot on this, and I've come to a conclusion;
There shouldn't be another Deus Ex game.

They ran out of stuff to cover. There's no way to have "world changing endings" like DX1 or IW since any future game would have to be a prequel and somehow funnel down into DX1. HR's endings were vague and anything that seems to not flow as well with the overall story can be explained away with "in the two-decades between each game, Bob Page does some evil stuff so that, no matter what ending you picked, the events of DX1 were the same."

Better to just make a similar series and call it a "spiritual successor", like Dishonored.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Gamer

I don't really see the need for it to funnel down to DX1. Why not consider Human Revolution a reboot?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:52 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerain View Post
I don't really see the need for it to funnel down to DX1. Why not consider Human Revolution a reboot?
Because it's a prequel.

The plot was supposed to lead in to Deus Ex and explain the origins of a few key plot points (like the Killswitch.) The devs said it was "kind of a reboot" but that's more about the gameplay and some visual elements (like how the keypads look more advanced than they do in DX1) rather than the canon.

At most, they might make one more game where you play as a self-aware Physiopharmaceutical aug and end it with that. Or remake Deus Ex 1 just to piss people off.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FGS]Shadowrunner View Post
This clearly happens well before 2051. Manderley is practically retired by events in 2052 and even Simons makes a joke of it, offering him a job as a librarian.
Canon emergency service reporting in.

Quote:
Know Your Enemy -- Templars

The Templars are currently classified as inactive after being successfully
diminished by a combined UNATCO/Interpol raid on their Paris headquarters in
2051; however, several key Templar figures are still at large and may attempt to
reform the organization under a new designation.
Manderley can very well lead an assault; he just doesn't have any real power over the organization. Sorry for bumping the thread.