Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Blood Omen Series - General Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
Yes, a lunar eclipse is the Earth blocking the sun from reflecting off of the moon. The new moon works for this. My meaning was that all sunlight was blocked from illuminating the moon on the dark side. Every new moon is an eclipse, actually.
I'm sorry in advance for "pushing" this. It's just that after (admittedly way too many ) years spent on university of technology I'm really careful about using definitions.
During the eclipse there are is no lit part of the moon, the whole moon is unlit. During both new and full moon (except the situation when eclipse occurs) stages however half of the moon is always lit - it's just that either unlit or lit part is visible from Earth. At the new moon state the Earth does not block the Sun's rays. It's just the unlit part of the moon that is visible. So every new moon cannot be called eclipse (because technically nothing eclipses anything).
Again - sorry for going a little off topic.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

First, my statement that a new moon works for this is stating it works to describe what is represented in SR2's dark forge, not that it and a lunar eclipse are the same.

However, there are different branching definitions to the word eclipse. In this sense, a new moon is not a representation of one celestial body eclipsing another, but it is an eclipse of the sunlight that normally the moon reflects, which illuminates the moon, being contrarily blocked by the moon. What's being eclipsed is the light of the sun.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eclipse

Quote:
a. The partial or complete obscuring, relative to a designated observer, of one celestial body by another.
b. The period of time during which such an obscuration occurs.
2. A temporary or permanent dimming or cutting off of light.
Eclipse can also mean to surpass, as well as a few other non-relevant definitions, but in the most basic sense, the word means to cut off, diminish, or block. The way that Raziel and the game is using it is to describe what's happening in the Dark Forge, also. Again, Raziel states when seeing the symbol of the Dark Forge: "Concentric circles, one eclipsing the other." The first circle is the symbol of Light, and it's being eclipsed by the second circle, which represents the moon (or any blockage of light can be used, really, but the game shows us the moon as the device causing the eclipse), also causing what we know as a New Moon.

My mistake in the first post was to label this a lunar eclipse, as the distinction of the lunar eclipse only happens as you said. However, stating that an eclipse is the label that may be used to describe the New Moon occurrence in the lunar cycle is not wrong.

Now, back to the topic
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Gamer

OK. I'm satisfied with this answer .
Old 10-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Protagonist

to revive the topic....

what exactly powered those cars in the Canyons? I sure didn't see any Glyphs there, lol
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Gamer

To be honest I very much liked BO2, one of my favorite games

The combat was great for me, and the powers added alot of variety, even though it seems repetitive, so was the case with SR1/2

The story to me was as good as it can be, no over the top twists or something, but they got the feeling right, and I loved it, even Kain's lieutenants were great addition, I liked their battle so much, I was sad for Magnus though

BTW the big reason I love BO2 is because of the brutality and look of the game, the character design is great, you know in SR1/2 & Defaince I never saw vampires, not at good shape at least, but in BO2 I did, and their design was something special, their look was cool, I am talking about those who were around Vorador

I really wish for BO3 D:
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 AM
New Player

I never understood why BO2 received so much hate. It's my second best favorite LoK right after Blood Omen 1. Loved the art and graphics style, especially the Eternal Prison

I just wish they'd included more of the 'traditional' content from Blood Omen 1 like the Flame Sword, Bone Armor, Chaos Armor etc. Even the Iron Armor plus early Soul Reaver can only be acquired through a cheat code
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 AM
New Player

I can't believe people are still posting here lol, just shows the impact these games had.

Sam, you should try playing Blood Omen, everything Blood Omen 2 did well, Blood Omen did better, except the combat, in Blood Omen, combat is quite difficult (though i prefer it still, only because i like Isometric view games). As for not seeing vampires be vampires in the soul reaver and defiance games, it's because they are all dead, Raziel and the rest of the seraphim annihilated them all. In Blood Omen, there is only one left, and you, but your a special case.

Shin, if BO2 was more like Blood Omen, people wouldn't have dissed it as much, that's the whole point. Instead of actually being a Blood Omen 2, they made Soul Reaver 1.5 and made Kain the playable character instead. I mean hell, what happened to the many spells Kain could cast in BO? They became a few small telepathic powers in BO2!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Gamer

theshadowcult: It's a shame I didn't play BO, I think I will wait for Ominicde BO when looks the same and better

And yes I understand that most vampires died, and even the vampires clan from Raziel's brothers were already devolved, I mean if there is going to be a BO3 one day, we can see those great vampires again

I don't consider BO2 to be SR1.5, you see SR 1&2 focused more on puzzles and open environment, unlike BO2 which was more linear and more bloody in approach, also It seems BO1 was kinda like dungeon adventure, then the whole series shifted into hack and slash adventure
Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Protagonist

It wasn't the Sarafan that killed off all the Vampires in Blood Omen. That was Moebius's mob after Kain changed history. Before the time change, it's made very clear that there are a lot of Vampires out there. Kain even kills quite a few in Vorador's Mansion.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

The sentiment of BO2 being like Soul Reaver stems from what they did with Kain having to fight each boss and gain a new ability from them ... by "absorbing their veins." That vein absorption looked quite a bit like Kain was absorbing their souls and some people have been confused over that throughout the years. It was a shoddy and unnecessary element to add in the game and it was just a copy of Soul Reaver's unique way of gaining new abilities. That's where the similarity ends, however.

Most of his abilities are jokes, or something he already had. He retains Mist from the start. He "gains" Charm, which is nothing but Control Mind, which he already had in BO1. His Fury he has to start, and later Berserk he "gains," are merely him angry and dishing out some fast and hard attacks. Hardly new abilities. Jump should be something he's already got, or certainly could do in Wolf Form. TK is an amplification stated by the Seer of his natural TK abilities, so he's not really gaining there. Immolate is the one new ability -- the one that's actually worth anything.

While I enjoy the game and it got me into the series, it's barely redeemable. The writing and the performances are asked to be campy, and are far more humor and satire of the very series and vampire games in general than serious. While the rest of the series might have moments of humor now and then (Raziel's quips, and some from Kain in BO1, come to mind), they are naturally brought about in circumstances and aren't simply comedy sketches by the NPC's, and even the main characters (Kain condemns everyone constantly, boasts every other second; the Hylden Lord sounds and acts buffoonish, especially near the end), made this way on purpose. The rest of the series is a serious, tightly-crafted, plot-driven thespian fantasy/tragedy. It would be like if the direct linked sequel to Hamlet, or Macbeth, by Shakespeare wound up being The Taming of the Shrew. Even the combat it campy. Kain grabs people and his them over and over in the face with the butt of a sword, or smashes them in the groin over and over, or impales them twice in the chest and one through the brain with the couble-bladed weapon ... and the person gets back up -_- The Sarafan in their gaudy Roman-like Gladiator outfits acting brash and laughing at you, get when they die, they scream in high pitches like little girls and kick their feat? Camp-city.

And as far as how the vampires are presented: I'd much rather have the vampires we've seen in Janos, Vorador, and his brides from BO1 through Defiance, even the dead vampires in SR2, than any of those walking, half-naked cliches, lol. They look like they all belong in a BloodRayne game than they do in Legacy of Kain. Their attire, especially for the Cabal vampires trying to hide out in secrecy to not be noticed by the Sarafan, is ridiculous, at best. Umah (and our mod here by the same name will probably not appreciate this ) walking around Meridian in her barely-there, bight purple sign/underwear -- I mean armor , is just as silly as my description. No wonder Kain's the only one that can slip by the Sarafan undetected. Then, of course, the graphics and animations do not help. Kain points all the time, hisses and looks utterly stupid, not menacing (not to mention, his entire form looks like they intentionally stretched it to be taller and is totally odd-looking); characters are the most awkward in their movements, actions, and with glitching as you will ever find in a game. Hard for me to take anyone seriously when their blocky hands and arms are gesturing all over creation, or when they turn without moving their feet, or their mouths move when they don't speak, or their heads roll around looking at nothing. I mean, it's nuts. I honestly have a theory that the devs realized that they didn't have the budget and time to finish the game to where it would look right and they could animate it properly, so they intentionally made the writing more comical to draw less attention to the bad graphics and animations. Oh, and try not to laugh when you cut off a female warrior's head and a token male human head lops off in its place

Anyway, enough of my counter debunking of things in BO2. I do like the game still, but it's nowhere near the rest in the series and mainly remains something worthwhile by its fun gameplay, and because of Templeman's performance. Be it as it may that this Kain was written to be grossly over-the-top, the performance makes it work, still.

As far as vampires in the others games: You know what else BO1 gave us, besides many vampires? Werewolves. Yup, I want to see that part put back in, and the rest of the huge, HUGE assortment of enemies, kingdoms, lands, etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Gamer

I wouldn't call his abilities a joke, otherwise Raziel abilities as well would be, Raziel 2nd ability was to climb, really ?!, he already got freakin claws why can't he climb ?!, his 4th ability was laughable too, running in circle ?!, but in the end of the day I didn't mind them that much, they were part of the story, as for Kain he was defeated, just got back to life, it is no wonder that he lost all his powers, maybe they are not new abilities, but seeing Kain going Berserk was an eye candy for me and never gets old, him taking their power maybe similar to soul absorbs, but to me, he was like extracting their powers out of their blood, and thus the power manifest in the shape of it's wielder (soul or whatever), didn't really mind it, I don't think it is fair to blame the Devs about Kain losing his own powers from BO1, in SR1 Kain was able to his raziel with lighting kinda attack, in Defiance he lost that ability ?!, in SR1/2 he was able to teleport himself, yet he couldn't in Defiance, and I don't believe he used any of his BO1 abilities either in any of the other titles

Regarding Kain tone, I didn't play BO1 so I wouldn't know, but in BO2 he was a general, he was like the strongest vampire, he had to be cooky all the time, to me Kain was a king who lost his place along with his powers, but still got his pride, after being a king he can't just follow orders like a dog can he !!!, unlike Elder Kain where his mind is different, Elder kain wants to bring balance and restore Nosogth not conquer it, so the attitude is different, I don't recall laughing or feeling BO2 got a comedy sense at all, it was dark, and bloody, the Mist executions were really epic, in BO2 the enemies actually block your attacks (especially the hylden) unlike SR1/2 which is run slash slash slash (except the demons), in BO2 you also got an unbeatable demon, the environment were varied and up to the task, the charm boxes which you got more power from were great too

I agree that not all the vampire design are great, but in BO2 Janos, Voradoor, Kain and his lieutenants were designed really great, I also was playing the PC version, I didn't encounter any problems at all, or I wasn't paying enough attention due to the game greatness :P, but there was also some details in the design like the weapons getting rusty and breaking, and having alot of different weapons

I maybe over defending BO2, but it got some great memories with me, and it was like a whole new level of epic-ness, that's why I love it

The werewolves in BO1 what were they like ?!, huge wolves ?!, or human-like wolf on 2 legs ?!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Those abilities you mention of Raziel's are kind of a joke, actually. I've said for years he should have been able to climb from the beginning. What they should have said instead was that his speed and the ease of it increased. You can see in Defiance they were making that distinction. Raziel doesn't impale the wall anymore, just slinks up it as easy as walking, while Kain has to plow his claws into the wall harder. I think they made Kain way too slow at it, and Raziel could have been even faster, but anyway. I take the "climbable walls" with a huge grain of salt also, thinking of them more like simply those are the areas he needed to go up, but he should be able to climb any wall, just like you see the Zephonim do in the Silenced Cathedral. Constrict was silly, a bit. It's a binding and manipulating spell, so it's the presentation that makes it rather silly. There is a reason we don't ever see Raziel use it beyond SR1 and that is it. As for Kain, the developers confirmed that Kain has every spell and ability he had in BO1, still even in Defiance. He just picks and chooses which spells and abilities to use, explaining why they only chose certain ones for him in Defiance. Defiance has its issues with presenting abilities, for sure. Kain uses Lightning, Teleport, Conflict (nothing but the Inspire Hate Spell from BO1), and Slow Time. All were spells he had in BO1, teleport being the Sanctuary Spell (by the Soul Reaver games, he can just teleport anywhere). However, Kain has to use the Reaver to do these spells and has to upgrade it with the Balance Emblem shards to do it. A point was made that in BO1 he couldn't use the Reaver and his own magic, so that might be why, because it's a tow-handed weapon in that game. Well, Kain's a lot stronger now and frequently wields the Reaver with one hand, not to mention uses TK just fine with it before he ever upgrades the Reaver. And, it also isn't the Soul Reaver, so it shouldn't be hampering his magic power like it did when he was a fledgling. Oh, and for carry overs of BO2: Kain has to, for some reason, upgrade his TK abilities with the first Balance Emblem shard (half of the Conflict Shard) to upgrade both he and the Reaver. He can then use it to for pyrokenisis. Well, he already has Immolate, so why? He does retain long jump, which again, should just be his own ability and power. He's a strong, fast guy -- I mean, demigod strong -- he should be able to jump long distances without sucking up any other vampire's veins.

Bottom line is, as much as I love the games, a criticism definitely stands in their frequent mishandling of Kain and Raziel's ability upgrades and uses. Raziel upgraded the Wraith Blade with the same upgrades in three games. Fire, being the main one that lasted for all three, with the rest in both SR2 and Defiance. Story reasons, aside, that's just not good gameplay mechanics. This isn't the Metroid series, where it's almost expected to have that happen and has been a staple for decades. It takes away from the immersion when things like this happen. Also, Raziel's Glyph Spells, like Kain's spells, were never used again. Why?

And back to Kain: he does use his Teleport spell in Defiance, himself, sans need of Reaver. He teleports away from the bottom of the Spirit Chamber after defeating the EG. He then gives his "In the meantime, you'd best burrow deep!" line, and walks away. In SR1, Kain definitely is using either Lightning, or an upgraded Energy Bolt blast on Raziel. He uses it through the Reaver in the first fight in the Sanctuary of the Clans, and later without the Reaver in the Chronoplast. So, anyway, the bottom line is that Kain is stated to still have all abilities, but we have to say he "picks and chooses" which to use, so people can be satisfied why their all-powerful vampire God is performing bafflingly lower than he should.

The coma reason for BO2 was truly screaming out "gamplay reason." And having Kain absorb veins to gain new abilities was really hard to look at and not scream Soul Reaver Raziel... BO2 was a rushed game. I can't blame CD, but yet, I have to a bit. I won't gloss over this stuff, though, just because I am a fan of the series.

Quote:
Regarding Kain tone, I didn't play BO1 so I wouldn't know, but in BO2 he was a general, he was like the strongest vampire, he had to be cooky all the time, to me Kain was a king who lost his place along with his powers, but still got his pride, after being a king he can't just follow orders like a dog can he !!!, unlike Elder Kain where his mind is different, Elder kain wants to bring balance and restore Nosogth not conquer it, so the attitude is different, I don't recall laughing or feeling BO2 got a comedy sense at all, it was dark, and bloody, the Mist executions were really epic, in BO2 the enemies actually block your attacks (especially the hylden) unlike SR1/2 which is run slash slash slash (except the demons), in BO2 you also got an unbeatable demon, the environment were varied and up to the task, the charm boxes which you got more power from were great too
Kain's lost a lot of his former glory, true and should want revenge. However, Kain was never shown to be an idiot. There are more than a few times where his dismissal of advice, council, and defiance of orders cost him a lot. Kain was headstrong in BO1, also sought out revenge, but he knew when to rely on council and how to assess situations tactically better. They woefully overplayed the brash and arrogant Kain, and lost most of any subtly in character otherwise, nor did Kain grow really. As far as comedy, just starting with Kain, he's always pointing at everything, kicking people in the ribs until the spit up blood, even if he then politely asks information, tells everyone in more haughty terms to go to hell, yet expects them to remain loyal, and comes up with lines that are so outrageous, so over-the-top, that even when first playing through the game and loving it to get me interested in "Who is this guy?" to find out more, I still laughed out loud as the audacity and blatancy of every insult and boast. He tells Umah to give him back the Nexus stone, "before I take it from your thieving fingers as you convulse in death!" lol, I mean, there are threats and understandable brashness, and then there are campy one-liners. Kain was full of them in this game. You missed the townsfolk's' stupefying comedy routines?? What game were you playing? Here's just a few choice examples, but these go on for almost every encounter with any two townies anywhere:

Quote:
Man:
Simply fantastic. Their use of imagery mixed with impressionistic neo-modernism was simply breathtaking.

Woman:
I like the colors.

Man:
Well yes, yes. But what was really stunning was the pathos of the protagonist. The way he couldn't decide whether to allow fate to sweep him forward, or if he should thwart destiny's cruel hand.

Woman:
Oh yes, that was interesting.

Man:
It reminds me of Sergio's use of deus ex machina in order to resolve dilemmas of the ego.

Woman:
I'm hungry.

Man:
Yes, yes.

Quote:
First Thug:
So, this fella taps me on the shoulder.

Second Thug:
Right there in the Red Raven?

First Thug:
That's right, but I could tell he didn't belong there. Nice hands, he had, and that look in his eye, like he reads too much.

Second Thug:
Oh, a Swell, was he?

First Thug:
That's right. And he tells me he'll give me a tenner if I follow his wife of an evening and kill the man she meets. Heh, and guess who it was.

Second Thug:
Who?

First Thug:
A priest at the cathedral. She was going there every night to pray for her son who's run off somewhere.

Second Thug:
What did you do?

First Thug:
What d'ya think? What I'd been paid to do. I'm not one to spit at a tenner.

Second Thug:
Is it time yet?

First Thug:
No. Wait 'til that light up there goes out. The gentry never think. They invite you to their house, and what, do they think you just go away after that?

Second Thug:
And there's lots of silver you say? And the woman has jewels?

First Thug:
Hidden in the same place! Can you believe it?

Second Thug:
Well, we'll just have to teach them a lesson about that. They should thank us for it.

Quote:
Woman:
I told my lady the girls wouldn't clean his lordship's room with that light burning in there, they were that frightened of it.

Man:
The lights stay on of their own accord?

Woman:
He calls it Glyph energy. He's lit the whole upstairs with it now. It's a wonderful light, so gentle and bright. I like it myself, but the girls near left in a body.

Man:
I've seen Glyph lights, but not in a gentleman's house.

Woman:
But he won them over in a minute the day he got the Glyph energy to heat his bathwater for him. That's right, we carry the cans up cold now, and he's got the water hot in a twinkling.

Man:
So I should hope.
Here's everything on your list for a week, just as you asked.

Woman:
You call this a peach? Peach stone, more like. It's green!
(And my personal favorite )

Quote:
First Worker:
Do you hear that?

Second Worker:
Hear what?

First Worker:
Sounds like fighting below, and then a thump.

Second Worker:
Oh.

First Worker:
Like a body striking the floor.

Second Worker:
That's an evil kind of thump.

First Worker:
What shall we do?

Second Worker:
What I always do. Go on like we never heard nothing.

First Worker: (slowly)
I never heard nothing.

I could go on. It's not just the writing, but the really heavy Cockney deliveries, which extend to the "Someone aught to teach you a lesson!" "You don't belong around here!" "Well, what do we have here." grumbling voices of the thugs, etc. It's comedic, campy stuff. You didn't laugh when the Sarafan Knights kicked and screamed like girls when they died? lol, or how about when you perform those stealth kills and another adversary comes closer, then kicks the body to make sure it's dead (real helpful guys and gals, lol), then sheath their weapons and go on about their business? How about all of the (very inventive) usage of the environment to purposefully kill poor slobs right and left to progress. Boom! There goes a body flying out of a window. Bam! Dropped another crate on a couple of shmoes. Ooops!

Then, of course, there is the Sarafan Lord and his "HEEEYAAAAA!" line, like a high-pitched hyena, after having this deep, bloated voice the entire time, when he's attacking you, or his "Woah, wo-oah! Ohh-WOOOOAH!" line as Kain knocks him off of the platform. I mean, come on. There are serious parts, but this is dark comedic campiness, not dark and brooding brutality. Even the kills are almost humorous, simply because of the graphical limitations (again, part of why I think the game went into a comedic route). You have Kain tear his hand through some slob's back and rip their heart out. It's a red orb-looking thing; there's no hole or blood spot on the body, and that's it. You chop off their heads, be it woman, male, Sarafan with a helmet, or whatever, and the head the pops off is a token human peasant's head with the same hair and beard they all have. Hard to take that seriously. How about the Three Stooges head smack of the butt of the swords to the face, or the groin shots with the axes? Brutal, yeah, but like a B-movie horror film, it's also very amusing. It's made to be so. And, though I know he was insane at the time, the Magnus encounter was cheese at its finest. Dropping him off the bridges into the water, over and over. "Water is not my friend!!" and his "What?! Who?! Ooooh!" lines were comedic gold. lmao. And having him slam into things like a bull in a china shop. Or, that poor dope that just wanted to get away from him, only to be told "No, I've had my allotment for the day!" yadda yadda, then to kill him anyway.

The environments were bland, for the most part, but at least a few sections like the Hylden City/Device and especially the Eternal Prison, were nice. The EP was really better looking than the graphics making it up simply for the pallet choices. The eerie blues and greens gave it a nice touch.

As for the game on PC: I, too, play it on PC. The glitches I referred to in animations are the mouths still moving when someone stops talking. It happens even on that version. And weird things like characters looking about all around, gesturing wildly, oddities like that. The animations are just bad, unfortunately. But, it's not the glitching that happens on PS2, no.

Oh, combat. I don't know how you've been playing SR1 and 2, but you're supposed to auto-face and dodge opponents, then go in for varied hits. Sure, you can run around slashing wildly and do damage, but that looks awkward and isn't how it's meant to play. The Sarafan and other human adversaries, even the demons, in SR2, especially, block your attacks effectively. Defiance even has enemies that block, but TK and powers take care of them quickly, and the combat is much more action all of the time. As for unbeatable demons in BO2, yeah, that didn't make much sense, or add anything. In BO1, Kain's fought the same fire, green, and electricity demons that appear in SR2 and Defiance, albeit, slightly different in appearance (SR2 doesn't have green demons, actually ). While hard to face with just hacking with a sword in BO1, especially the green demons that poisoned you, Kain could kill them, and he could murder them quite nicely with his spells. So, this all-powerful demon that can't even be harmed and does nothing but present an annoyance, is, well, more annoying than innovative. I did like zapping the one to bloody chunks with the beam in that one chamber.

Anyway, I've stated in a previous post in this thread that I "love" the game. I should say, I love some things, like it overall. The gameplay is good, yes. I enjoy still playing it and the story, despite its cheese, but it's not the hard, brutal, moody game of seriousness you think it is. It's in the same class as Bloodrayne, with slightly better writing and acting.

Yes, there are werewolves in BO1 and they are huge wolves, not humanlike wolfmen, probably 8-10 feet tall and they run on all fours (attack on two legs). Kain also has wolf form that makes him look just like a werewolf and attack the same way. It also allows him to move like three times as fast and jump up to higher ground.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Gamer

Hylden, did you just imply Cockneys were camp? Perhaps an overused cliche of criminal underclass, but not really camp (just wait till you hear some manc, geordie, scouse or west country).
There was already a fair amount of similarity with Victorian London in BO2 (they even said "lift") and being a Londoner, of course I found the cockney accents some of the most believable parts of the game - and I'd assumed they were using the cockney as a generally accepted standard translation convention for industrial lower classes.

Mind you, I speak Estuary and I'm on the other side of the City, why am I defending Eastenders?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Haha, no. I was saying that using the extremes of those accents for the sake of making the characters more comedic was campy. The accent, itself, is not. BO1 had characters who had Cockney accents and they were not stating goofy things, nor were they grumbling like your token thugs.

I've used the accent myself when I played a bumbling, loud detective in a dinner theater production. It's easy to take an extreme of it and do that, kind of like Peter Sellers did with Jaque Clouseau in his ever-increasingly absurd French accent.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Gamer

LOL Hylden, really you are over analyzing everything, If I do the same as you, I would probably never study haha

Probably every game got something to do with story and powers, remind me of God Of War, every title you lose your powers, and regain them back

As I said I probably missed alot of things, like the head chopping part, with the same head for everyone, but from what I heard BO2 had lower budget than SR2, I am not sure though, not to mention the limitation

But I think it is better to take every game as it is, for example BO1 was kinda like dungeon game, more or less, every other game became so different, more of adventure hack and slash

Regarding the lines, they were indeed funny, having side jokes aren't that bad now :P, at least in BO2 you got NPC, in every other game no NPC at all

And here I say it, you WIN, I can't argue with that haha, but still I am unshaked that I love this game :P, and in the end of the day, we all feel the same pain of waiting a new LoK title, by the time Defiance came out, I wasn't paying that much attention to games whatsoever, I only went to the games shop every week or something, and one day after school I went there, and Volaaaa, LoK, and Kain is playable, I was going to faint of excitement, damn I miss those days
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Gamer

Revisited BO2 recently... and it's not bad. It's main faults in my opinion are
1) It's almost a side-story - except for Hylden and Kain, nothing connects it to the main plot.
2) Unfortunately, we don't see Kain developing. Sure, he changes, but that's only because his memories come back. He was cruel and arrogant bastard and he still is. While it was understandable why he can't be like his Defiance self in BO1, I thought that Blood Omen 2 was to explain Kain's motives and show his development from wisely arrogant to arrogantly wise.

In other respects - the atmosphere and art style, while different, are awesome, Dark Gifts are fun to receive, bosses are nice and... yeah, I like Umah.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count D View Post
Revisited BO2 recently... and it's not bad. It's main faults in my opinion are
1) It's almost a side-story - except for Hylden and Kain, nothing connects it to the main plot.
2) Unfortunately, we don't see Kain developing. Sure, he changes, but that's only because his memories come back. He was cruel and arrogant bastard and he still is. While it was understandable why he can't be like his Defiance self in BO1, I thought that Blood Omen 2 was to explain Kain's motives and show his development from wisely arrogant to arrogantly wise.

In other respects - the atmosphere and art style, while different, are awesome, Dark Gifts are fun to receive, bosses are nice and... yeah, I like Umah.
That probably happens after BO2, when Kain finds out about the future (Raziel the Sarafan, the (Dark) Prophecy) somehow becomes more mature... but that history is yet to be explained.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber View Post
That probably happens after BO2, when Kain finds out about the future (Raziel the Sarafan, the (Dark) Prophecy) somehow becomes more mature... but that history is yet to be explained.
Yeah, but the thing is, period of Kain learning of the future is really important part of the story and I think that's what BO2 should've been about.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmachinad View Post
Ok, by 'good' I mean 'above average'. Certainly it isn't a great game, but it isn't a piece of trash like some hardcore Soul Reaver/Raziel fans say, and it is a nice addition to the series, in my opinion.
In my area people praise BO2 above any other LoK game. I find that sad, actually. However, I like BO2, in the time it was one of the few games that I needed to upgrade my HD for it took around 2GB if I correctly remember. In the gaming area on the PC was one of the most remarkable games played and people enjoyed it a lot. They were fascinated by the ability to be a "dark hero" who'll suck blood etc. Obviously, BO2 was the first game for many PC users in my area.

People who played SR1 in my area have said that they would gladly play it again and again.

Anyway, I don't treat BO2 as a masterpiece, but it is a unique game in it's own right and I had a lot of fun playing it, anyway. Wasn't as scary as other parts, it was kind of a good change, lurking in the fog, having kill thingies etc.

People should experiment with BO titles, but not to mess up SR ones.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Gamer

Sorry gouls & gobs, LoK - BO2 is NOT what it should have been.
BO - LOK 2 is what Most fans of that title WANT it to be.
the 2 titles are very different depending on which you see AS a true sequel.
damn, i REALLY hope the game SK is working on for their next title is the " remake" of BO-LoK or 2.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Protagonist

I totally agree that Blood Omen 2 feels petty much nothing like Blood Omen. The two styles are very different, but I still enjoyed Blood Omen 2 quite a bit. Really, none of the Legacy of Kain games have felt like Blood Omen, which was more like a super violent version of The Legend of Zelda.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 PM
New Player

I still believe they missed a golden opportunity with BO2, not simply the game itself, but they should have stayed true to BO1, camera, fighting, everything. It would have been much more interesting, and even highlighted the differences between Kain and Raziel. Even defiance, would have been that much better had the Raziel Sections stayed the same, but the switch to Kain changed to an Isometric zelda like game.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
I still believe they missed a golden opportunity with BO2, not simply the game itself, but they should have stayed true to BO1, camera, fighting, everything. It would have been much more interesting, and even highlighted the differences between Kain and Raziel. Even defiance, would have been that much better had the Raziel Sections stayed the same, but the switch to Kain changed to an Isometric zelda like game.
I definitely wouldn't like to see that.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Gamer

If the oldschool screen was forced on you it'd feel crappy. You'd be all "why don't I get the same quality screen as Raziel gets? Waaaaah!" But if you could switch back and forth at will between 2 or 3 different views like you can in some space shooters that might be awesome. Like each view would be better than the others at showing you certain things or for using certain skills. What do you call the view we've been using? "close 3rd person" view? So if the room got crowded with enemies maybe you could switch to "Above 3rd Person" view to keep track of the action, and then when you wanted to do something with precise controls you'd switch to 1st person view which is also good for enjoying scenery.

I liked the jumping the most. And when some doorways were protected by flowing waterfalls. Nice architectural trick in a vampire world.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
If the oldschool screen was forced on you it'd feel crappy. *snip*
I find it rather disappointing, and alarmingly concerning, that you associate camera position with quality. Many isometric or side scrolling camera games far outstrip the majority of 3rd person camera games in terms of quality, the camera it self has little to do with it though, the camera is simply a point of view.