Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Protagonist

Default What should Lara's next personal challenge be?

Obviously this new game is about Lara learning to survive the harshness of being a Tomb Raider. She must find emotional strength to press on and get stuff done and all that jazz. So what would you like to see in the next game in terms of personal challenges for her character?

I'm in a weird Disney's Atlantis mood and the character of Helga has always reminded me of Lara and her role in the animated film is one that is often questionable. When the tables turn on the main character she lands on what would essentially be the villain's team, but later redeems herself somehow. I like that questioning of morals and I'd love to see Lara caught in some sort of expedition in the next game in which she holds some level (not the most) of authority to influence the actions of the team, and must make moral choices about the discovery they make. Lots of backstabbing.

Everyone seems to be interested in Roth trying to Kill Lara, etc... in this game and I think they shouldn't pull out all those stops in this one game.

Sort of like how Naughty Dog used the moral theme for Uncharted 2 with characters you can't always trust, I'd like to see something like that. Would probably bring out some characteristics of Lara's personality many have been longing for.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Gamer

if the next game should continue from the this upcoming game, lara still should be a bit green with the whole adventure stuff. she wont be as scared anymore and is physically and psychologically stable but still a bit scared and unsure.

i dont know if we will kill humans in the 2012 version, if not, then for the next game, lara will not be able to kill a human being at the beginning. she should be a bit confused why they want to kill/harm her, try to stop her etc.

and she will not have the strength to do all the acrobatics and is forced to learn them. that would be a nice challenge for her as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Rise of the Gamer

I would say that her next challenge, upon returning to civilization will be to reclaim her aristocratic birthright, and probably finding her place in that society again.

Then what should follow is Lara trying to find her own balance between her british society life and that of her archaeology and adventuring. Which is kind of common among adventure hero archetypes, like how Spiderman, Superman, or most other superheroes struggle to maintain to lives, with the conflicting responsibilities they find themselves entangled in.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Protagonist

This game will be about Lara learning to survive in a situation she has been forced into and discovering just how strong she can be.

For me, the next one has to be about choice. Lara is back home and scarred by her harrowing experiences. She's been down the rabbit hole, and nothing will ever be the same for her again.

She reads about an archaeological expedition that has run into some kind of problem that they can't explain, and she sees echoes of what she has gone through. She decides that she can either go hide under a rock for the rest of her life, or face her fear and go help the archaeologists.

But this time, she will be ready...

This next step - making a conscious choice to face down experiences that would have destroyed most people - is the next step to crafting the character, IMO.

It's how I would do it, at least
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Gamer

what also crossed my mind:
lara has to learn how to use her dual pistols or any firearm. maybe at the beginning she caries them because she thinks she will scare people off but in reality she cant really handel them or shoot straight.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
This game will be about Lara learning to survive in a situation she has been forced into and discovering just how strong she can be.

For me, the next one has to be about choice. Lara is back home and scarred by her harrowing experiences. She's been down the rabbit hole, and nothing will ever be the same for her again.

She reads about an archaeological expedition that has run into some kind of problem that they can't explain, and she sees echoes of what she has gone through. She decides that she can either go hide under a rock for the rest of her life, or face her fear and go help the archaeologists.

This next step - making a conscious choice to face down experiences that would have destroyed most people - is the next step to crafting the character, IMO.

It's how I would do it, at least
I like this idea!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Protagonist

I am real interested to see her perfect her abilities and she should how to fire weapon accurately and building up her muscles. Maybe start the next game beyond this with a big tomb raid to fit the series title. I hope we get to Lara back at Croft manor at some point in the next game as itwould feel like Lara back at home again.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post

That does sound quite good. But I'd still prefer if Lara simply had chosen the career of a relic hunter and isn't afraid or seemingly scarred by anything.

Croft Manor is the hub with training courses, secret areas, trophy rooms etc. But most importantly there's a planning room with a globe and files on potential missions around the world. Things work a bit like Mass Effect with option to play through missions in any order and there are some things that make it feel like a coherent story no matter in which order you do them.

Plus once you've raided a few tombs and acquired the final relic Lara could realize that there's a bigger revelation and that the missions have been given to her by someone with questionable motives.

Ok that really wasn't a personal challenge, but that's what I'd like to see.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 PM
New Player

I'd like to see the next game have Lara still having to address some of the horrors she's seen on the island. I don't want her to recover too quickly and just jump right into the life we've already seen her in.

This reboot is about making her young and vulnerable and this island will strip her bare of everything she's ever taken for granted and thrust her into a situation she can't possibly prepare for. By the end of this game, I want to see her somewhere in the middle of being that naive girl she started out as and the confident, tough woman she'll eventually become.

As far as the next game is concerned I want her to really feel what she's been through. The island isn't going to provide much time for her to reflect on what she had been through. After she's home, back in comfort and surrounded by civilization is when her experiences are really going to register with her.

With this reboot, CD really has a chance to do some significant character development with Lara. I'd hate to see them take it too fast.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle90 View Post

Croft Manor is the hub with training courses, secret areas, trophy rooms etc.
This just gave me an idea. Imagine in the Croft Manor you have this trophy room, where you would find a showcase of 3D rendered trophies of... the Trophies/Achievements you actually earned in the game.

They would be these highly detailed and artistically crafted statues each on their own display stand. You can walk around the room to look at them and when you press the interact button, you get a zoomed view of the trophy with a floating window detailing all its information - Name, description, point value or rank (bronze, silver, gold), and the date it was unlocked.

It would be a more interactive way of reviewing your accomplishments in the game than just scrolling the 2D icons on the dashboard.

Of course I don't expect a manor in this game, as that would break the reality and continuity of the wilderness survival theme. But let's hope for the next game. or I suppose they could release a mansion as free DLC after 2 months, when they can be sure most players have already completed the game.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Gamer

yeah, it would be a great moment in the next game to have the manor again. loved them so much in legend and anniversary.
what i wish as well is, no locked doors. always found it weird why so many rooms were locked.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Rise of the Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrocks View Post
yeah, it would be a great moment in the next game to have the manor again. loved them so much in legend and anniversary.
what i wish as well is, no locked doors. always found it weird why so many rooms were locked.
That was all part of the minigame within the mansion. Solving the puzzle to unlock new explorable areas of the mansion, and those special hidden chambers.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Deputy Villain

^ I think he was talking about the millions of doors that we couldn't access, regardless of how much of the puzzle we solved in the manor.

If they do decide to add in Croft Manor (III) ad DLC or as a next game feature. I would hope that it would be completely accessible. Every room, from the attic to the basement and the surrounding gardens outside. We need it all.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Rise of the Gamer

ohhh, those doors. Well the simple explanation is that there's only so many rooms they can actually design in the layout. As much as we'd like to think it's a real house filled with every room that would match the architecture, level designers are limited by time and budget.

But to make the house look correct, they place doors along all the corridors which are essentially "wall decorations", to create the appearance of an architecturally proportioned residence - just enough to give us the impression of a complete house with a balanced spacing of rooms according to the interior space.

They can't create a complete house, so they give us the illusion of one for the sake of appearances. It's not unlike those fake painted backgrounds in hollywood sets to create the illusion that the environment is bigger than the actual stage the actors perform on. So the only accessible doors are where they did designed a level for us to explore.

This was even done back in the 2D 8bit and 16bit days. When we side scrolled through a city or some form of building interior. Most doors were just part of a backdrop to maintain the appearance of a correct looking environment. But other doors would lead to another stage or one of those hidden levels. So those doors would usually be given a distinct appearance (slight tonal shade or thickness of the frame) to signify that they were accessible, and lead to the next level or a hidden stage.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Protagonist

Um... Yes, they can design a full house, Adobe. They just obviously felt that the resources they had at hand were better spent elsewhere.

As the mansion was basically a huge puzzle, I suspect they also felt that adding rooms which had no puzzle purpose was both pointless and unnecessarily distracting.

It's very much a case of 'did not' rather than 'could not', though.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Gamer

true again that it takes time to create them but still would be nice if you can explore the whole manor. not every room needs a puzzle to be solved.
its lara home, and she cant access her own rooms. its like you buy a house and you cant access some rooms.

but well, it just would be nice anyway to have the manor back, mess around with things, etc.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Protagonist

Heh. It would be possible to combine the manor with Lara's next challenge... Either the current owner of the long lost family home is a villain (So we get a stealth/sneak level in the mansion where Lara investigates) or it was lost to an old family curse that threw it out of time and Lara accidentally finds her way in.

Actually, I really like that last one. Lara not only gets to solve puzzles and play around in the mansion in order to return herself (& it!) to her proper time and place, but we also get a fully mapped/playable mansion out of it. Win-win!

Sounds more like a short game/training level than a main plot, granted, but would be fun
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Gamer

well, it can be in the main game. as i mentioned few pages back. lara still has to learn more things for her job, which she can learn at her home with an instructor.
you can wonder around the mansion as long as you want and do missions when ever you want.
wile you do these missions, you learn more abilities to access maybe other places in the manor. also by solving puzzles and some acrobatics.
by the end of the game, you have full access to every room in the manor and can mess around with things or what ever.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Deputy Villain

It can be like the scene in the first TR film, where the are bad guys invading the home only it will be us playing and it will be good. Also depending on the alive or dead status of Amelia and Richard, we can run around the manor shooting things up with them, I'd love to see a scene where Lara is held at gunpoint and Amelia pops the bad guys head off and is like 'Not my daughter, a**hole!'
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Gamer

i personally woulndt like it if they try to imitate this scene from the movie. but thats just me.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Deputy Villain

^ Oh no, I don't mean for it to be exactly like the movie. I mean, I certainly wouldn't expect Lara to be flying around the lobby. But, there is so much they could do with the manor. It would also be a compliment to TR2, with the Home Sweet Home level. Just imagine running through a hedge maze with a machine gun, shooting bad guys from behind a bush.

I really want to make this level. CD, hire me to make this level! Haha
Old 06-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Gamer

lol, i see what you mean. but even if you shoot around in the manor, doesnt matter if its the lobby or not. it still would be compared to the movie. i certainly would think that way. but again, that would be me.

well. lets play this game first and then we will see if CD wants to continue with the game. if they read this thread, we already give them ideas for the next game
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Protagonist

Mansion attacked & clearing it is the end of TR2. I don't think we'll see that again, as it's already been done
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Deputy Villain

^ That's my point, it would be like TR2 again since it would technically be Lara's second adventure according to the new bio.

Anyway, an underwater city is something I would like to see in the next game. Not like Underworld's underwater level though. I mean a full on city, like Bioshock but with a giant dome keeping the water out.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41 PM
New Player

I would like Lara's edge to finally come back, i think she lost it after angel of darkness, she has to have more spunk this time, she has to be more aggressive and badass like the lara we're all used to, i am against adding that amount fear onto lara's character as they are adding in the game they are making now. I think it's a bit much and they're destroying what lara croft is world reknowned for.... you know?? so in the new game she'd better be tough as nails as she is meant to be