Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Thief Series > Thief - Technical Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
New Player

Exclamation Thief 3: Deadly Shadows windows 7 won't start - Solved

Problem: Double clicking t3.exe results in nothing. Game doesnt give me an error and processes only open for a couple seconds before closing in task manager.

Specs:
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
12gigs DDR3 ram
Directx 11
Onboard Sound
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 285

Steps I've Taken:
1. Patched v1.1
2. Tried with and without texture mod
3. ran as admin, ran as admin with compatibility mode (xp sp 1 and 2/ vista)
4. disabled my second monitor, made my main monitors resolution smaller
5. used the Thief 3 Launcher by dracflamloc
6. T3 FOV patch
7. Uninstalled/reinstalled and tried everything again without patching, then repatched and tried again
8. Googled my issue and came up with other posts on eidos forums/other forums. Their techniques are implemented in my steps above.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this further I would greatly appreciate it. I just got done playing through Thief 1 and Thief 2 and I'd like to complete the series.

-Ms Lettles
Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Eidos Moderator

I guess it is a dual core problem. I don't know about Win 7, but XP requires that affinity be set to 1 CPU for t3.exe. There are threads around here that deal with that. Sorry, I don't have time right now to find them. Maybe a search for affinity will find them.

To test this theory, you can start T3 but not go into the game, then hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, go to the processes, and set affinity manually. There are two exes you need to change. T3 and t3main. One calls the other, so both are running as processes.

There may be other Win 7 issues that I am unaware of. Search here and at TTLG.

Please post back when you find the solution. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM
New Player

Peter Smith,
Thanks for the suggestions. As I stated above in my original post. Thief 3 is actually not opening at all. I have done what you suggested in prior games (Thief 1 and Thief 2) and it worked great. However Thief 3 will not open. Period. The processes flash briefly in the task manager before disappearing. Nothing else happens.
I will try to google and see if there's a way to force the affinity to 0 by modifying the shortcut to t3.exe.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Eidos Moderator

There is a way. I have used processwatch. Bear in mind that two EXES need to be run with affinity = 1 core, and imagecfg may fail on one of the two exes. I think that may not be the only problem because of what you said about blinking on only briefly. I had missed that -- sorry. So, just shooting on the dark, have you tried all the emulation things and run as administrator?

There ought to be something at TTLG in this forum:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153

I found this thread started in 2009. I didn't have time to wade through it all, but you have piqued my interest.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=127709&page=2

Again, please post back if you find something that works.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 AM
New Player

I think I know what was causing the problem. If you are using a t3.exe that is not digitally signed by Eidos or Ionstorm it may cause the issue I was experiencing.

I uninstalled and re installed fresh. I followed this guide:

1-Turn UAC off if you're comfortable with that.

2- After installing, I downloaded and ran the Thief Deadly Shadows v1.1 patch.

3- I don’t think that this is any part of the fix, but I downloaded and installed John P.’s Thief Deadly Shadows texture pack.

4- Download the thief 3 level editor from Ionstorm.

http://www.fileplanet.com/150454/150...Shadows-Editor

Unpack it into your thief 3 folder.

5- I right-clicked t3.exe, visited the compatibility tab, and set it to XP(SP2) compatibility mode and run as administrator. Do this for T3Main.exe as well.

6- Optional: go to run and type: bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff. You might have to reboot.

7- Lastly, you might have to change affinity to 1 once the game is open.

And it started up great!

I really love this game and it's been around for over a decade now and really has impacted my PC gaming experience. I hope that Eidos has time now that Deus Ex HR is finished to focus on Thief 4 and make it an awesome game.

-MsLettles

PS Is there a way to put [Solved] in my original post title so that people can use this as a reference if they are experiencing the same issue?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Eidos Moderator

Thanks for the great description of the fix, MsLettles. I might suggest a few changes for the next person to try, although you probably should not attempt it since you already have it working.

Proposed method

1. Install and patch T3 as you have done

2. Rename the original t3.exe and t3main.exe to save them as backups.
Default folder = C:\Program Files\Thief - Deadly Shadows\System
You may have installed elsewhere.

3. Download the T3 editor using the link above.

4. Unzip only T3.exe and T3MainReleaseVersion.exe from the editor's zip file into the T3 System folder (same as above). Rename T3MainReleaseVersion.exe to T3Main.exe

5. Change affinity of both the EXEs permanently to run in 1 CPU. a simple way that works for me is as follows:

a. Download MoroseTroll's FlipTIB (Flip Tiny Important Bit)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=108519

b. Extract and install FlipTIB by double clicking on its FlipTIB.exe. The install puts two right-click context menu items in Windows Explorer. It can also be run in DOS mode using "s" or "m" plus the file name as arguments. You can uninstall it using Add / Remove Programs or the Win 7 equivalent.

c. In Windows Explorer, right click on t3.exe and select "FlipTIB: "single core mode". Select "multi core mode" to reverse it, if you want to.

d. Start T3.exe. When run, T3.exe invokes T3main.exe, which, as a daughter process, should also run in one core. Check it by going into the task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) while running T3. In the processes tab, check both T3 and T3main (right click and hit set affinity).

e. If you need to change T3main.exe (probably not)
Right click on t3main.exe and select "FlipTIB "single core mode"

6. Try running t3.exe ordinarily. That works in XP. If it does not work in Windows 7, run it as administrator. If that does not work, run as administrator in XP compatibility mode as MsLettles described. I don't have a Windows 7 installation to check this aspect.

I just did all the above with XP, and it works for me without running as administrator. FlipTib works fine for me, although I have heard reports of people having trouble with it. I don't know why.

If someone with Windows 7 would try this, I can correct any errors or omissions.

---------------------

Yes there is a way to change the title. Only moderators can do it. Done.

Last edited by Peter Smith; 09-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:26 AM

This work very fine on a G73JW with 7even x64.

Thank you a lot
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
New Player

The fix didn't work for me. I have windows 7, and tried running as admin and in compatibility mode but it didn't even show up in the task manager.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabdude View Post
The fix didn't work for me. I have windows 7, and tried running as admin and in compatibility mode but it didn't even show up in the task manager.
The most crucial part is the Getting FlipTIB

Or just make your .bat file

Contents: start /affinity 1 thief.exe
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Worked for me on Windows 7

i followed Peter Smith's Solution and it works now on windows 7 .. Thanks mate