Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider: Underworld > Tomb Raider: Underworld - General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy Tomb raider Underworld?
Yes 419 69.49%
No 60 9.95%
Some were in the middle 124 20.56%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot View Post
there are a few issues ...namely the number of invisible walls you seem to encounter and the inability to climb onto blocks and walls that she should really be able to. Even if it's not necessary to progress in the game they should still allow this, makes the game more realistic and less like the game giving you clues about what to do next.
I totally agree. 'Wasting time' looking for and trying to climb up the wrong part of walls, trees and cliffs and then having to carefully climb down again because we got the wrong path should be all part of the game, and indeed it used to be on TR's1-3. In fact there really were often two or three ways to climb up to something in the early games. Say what you like about CORE, but that was what I call a proper game engine, because you always had a consistent mechanical rule to Lara's abilities in the mathematical construction of the game-world's matrix, so that you could strategize and make your own path even it wasn't programmed or anticipated by the game-coders.
Climbing was the one of the most satisfying activities for me in the early TR's. There's a great sense of achievement while you're scaling a great height, and great realism and more time-value in the game even when you get it wrong. (I hate to fall too many times though. That does get discouraging!)
But the 'one route only' setup of Underworld is very disappointing, and cheap!
Tomb Raider isn't just about attaining goals. It's about exploring, or it used to be, but not any more.
You know what I'd like? A mountain-climbing game. Not necessarily Tomb Raider. But no-one seems to make one. A game where you can plan different routes up a mountain, and some will fail, and you have to strategise and ration your food, ropes and pitons, the way you had to learn to ration your save crystals in TR3. A game that's slow and laborious and tinged with possible failure at every turn, even after weeks of work and planning, just like climbing a real mountain. The early TR's gave me a taste for that.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Permanent Vacation

^^Couldn't have put it better myself. I loved the original three, for all the reasons you just stated and more. Another thing about the game giving you clues, I hate it also when the camera pans round in some way as if to say pretty much HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, NO NEED TO THINK ABOUT IT AT ALL. Even sometimes when you've already worked out what to do. Sometimes this can cause problems as well, for example in the Thailand level when she is going along those corridors with the ledges, at the end of one bit the camera pans round and makes it really awkward to get the direction on her jump because it wont allow you to pan it back.

Other than that I am enjoying the game immensely and it is bringing back lots of nostalgic memories, it's fun leaping around seamlessly (at least most of the time) once you get the hang of the controls, but too much of the accuracy required to make jumps is pre-programmed into the game to auto-correct so you do need to be that precise. It feels kind of like cheating. It took me ages to get used to walking near edges thinking that Lara is going to fall to her death. I preferred it when you could slow her down using one of the finger buttons on the PSX so she didn't fall off. I miss the lining up to the edge of blocks, one square back run and jump, hold x to grab ledge.

As for the linearity of the game, it's not as bad Legend. I'm currently running around the jungle in Mexico a bit lost about what to do and the game is allowing me to go anywhere I want within that level, which is pretty big I'd say so in that respect the game is still quite non-linear. You have to accept that the original Tomb Raiders also had an element of linearity built into the game play, it's difficult to avoid this. They did however give you more of a sense that you were wandering around of your own accord within this vast landscape than the new games do.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Gamer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pot View Post
^^You have to accept that the original Tomb Raiders also had an element of linearity built into the game play, it's difficult to avoid this. They did however give you more of a sense that you were wandering around of your own accord within this vast landscape than the new games do.
Yep
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Gamer

Underworld is a nice game and I enjoyed every second of it, even though for some reason I tend to treat it as a game separate from the series. The graphics were very pleasant to look at, so were the locations and the storyboard, I loved how it was (loosely, but still) based on the Norse mythology which is by far my favourite. My only complaint was that the 2 extra levels were available only for xbox users, it felt unfair.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 AM
New Player

i really enjoyed tomb raider underworld, their were a few bit's that was kinda annoying, but i loved every minute of the game.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:10 AM
New Player

people say it's one of the worst tomb raider's, but i really dont think it is, the story and concept of the game was fantastic.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Gamer

Overall I loved Tomb Raider Underworld and what it brought to the franchise. Super stunning graphics and visuals, along with what I thought to be, a well written storyline. Controls were easy to use, not too much different from Legend. I bought it in three platforms, including PC/DS/ & XBOX 360. It was visually exciting and stunning, which makes me even more excited for the release of TR9.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:49 AM
New Player

I loved Tomb Raider: Underworld! I was really enchanted by the history. Too bad I don't have an Xbox to play Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow
Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kates View Post
Too bad I don't have an Xbox to play Beneath the Ashes and Lara's Shadow
I know the feeling I've watched them both on YouTube many times, and it looks plain awesome, I hope I'll get to play it myself someday
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Gamer

I enjoy, but the version I have, the PS2, was less quality and skipping parts, but still interesting to play.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Gamer

I enjoy it in my PS3, but it was a litlte short. My favorite part was Thailand.

Other levels were too dark.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Gamer

yes i enjoyd underworld
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
New Player

I choose somewhere in the middle as the game is so amazing on first playthrough but isn't great for further play or post game stuff. The controls, puzzles and graphics were great.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 PM
New Player

Yeah, Underworld was great. Now it's almost time to enjoy, ekhem, new Tomb Raider, one without any subtitle .
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Gamer

The only thing i enjoyed about it were its flawless graphics.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Gamer

Yes I enjoyed TRU ! the levels are just wonderful !
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Gamer

I found Underworld really enjoyable, and it was one of my favorite Tomb Raider games thus far!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Gamer

I'm enjoying it so far! (this is my first playthrough - it passed me by first time around!)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 AM
New Player

I voted "Somewhere in the middle."
I loved the locations, I only thought it had too much combat and not enough challenge in the puzzels.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Gamer

YES i am LOVING it beautiful game and the first of the series which uses the full potential of modern computers yet does not try to do so much detail that it is unplayable or demands the latest and most expensive machines. It is a lovely game and this version of Lara is superb i love her. I hope for more titles in the series like this one.
Linkedin