Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Thief Series > Thief - Dromed Designers Corner

Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM
New Player

Default how do you create textures

Hi guys, I'm an old Thief fan and DromEd is my passion since the days of t1, I also have my t2 mission in the cheap thief missions archive:
http://www.thiefmissions.com/m/BlackheartsRecording

I remember that making seamless textures was very time consuming process, so in 2009 i started a little project - seamless texture generating program, called 'Slice'. Now after almost 3 years I continue to work on this project when I have spare time. You can download and try 'Slice' from here:
http://dws-slice.com/
So what software for texture creating you use? Do you think that my program('Slice') could be useful for your work. Thank you
Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
Gamer

Well for me, I've been using my trusty Corel 9 Graphics Suite's photo shop program. It has a nice picture offset setting. Then I would use either the blending tool or the clone tool.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Eidos Moderator

I have never created textures, but I am interested to know what method you have used to make one seamless. Thinking about it a little, it seems like an interesting problem. There are different scales. You have global pattern requirements and local continuity requirements at the joints.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Gamer

Post My way of making it work...

This is how I've been doing it. Will start off with TURQ128.PCX in the Mech family as an example. If you take a look at the texture, you'll notice that it doesn't wrap to well.

In this pic, I've offset it 50%x50% to show that it has abrupt edges. This is where I start working on it. In the red circle shows that the clone tool being selected.

Here, I take the cloning tool. Basically, it uses a selected part of the texture as your paint brush. Normally for me, the selected part has a cross-hair on it, but it didn't show up here. So I put a red circle on the selected part.

Now here, I've put the texture's offset back to where it was.

Here is the result of what it looks like tiled in a 256x256 window.

Now the texture has no abrupt edges, but I would repeat the process because I think that the patterns of it are too repetitive. However, this is only an example. So basically, this is my method.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Gamer

I get most of my textures from cgtextures.com, and many of them come with original photos and tiling versions. Only Pro members can get the larger tiling images, but the free small ones are good enough for Thief because they are usually bigger than 256x256.

When there isn't a tiling image available I use a technique similar to Gort's. Brick/stone walls are a different challenge. I tend to make a copy of the image, crop it to a square shape, offset it, then use the clone tool to take whole bricks/stones from the original image to cover the seams. Another useful tool is 'Low frequency even'. For GIMP, that's an addon. I can't be sure if other programs can do it, but essentially it evens out the lighting across the whole image. An image that's darker at the top will never tile properly, so LFE can be a very useful first step.

With any tiling image there will always be some noticeable repetition, so the solution is not to have big unbroken surfaces in Dromed.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 AM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
When there isn't a tiling image available I use a technique similar to Gort's. Brick/stone walls are a different challenge. I tend to make a copy of the image, crop it to a square shape, offset it, then use the clone tool to take whole bricks/stones from the original image to cover the seams.
Yes, bricks and other similar surfaces are hard to make seamless. Heres some videos how you can do this with 'Slice' :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNvPN...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwgBj...feature=relmfu

BTW here is an example with diagonal patterns(one of the most difficult to create):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0HLs...feature=relmfu