Eidos Forums  
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Gamer

Paradoks, - i stand corrected...i still hate em anyway...
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkura View Post
Paradoks, - i stand corrected...i still hate em anyway...
ANY True Fan ! of a series will almost always except a "remake", Not a reboot.
If you don't want 1 or the other then you don't want ANY LoK game by the sound of it.
You are SURE as <profanity removed> Not getting a defiance 2 until there's a remake or reboot.
almost 10 yrs & No defiance 2 should tell you something.

I say If they are doing a remake & reboot then do a remake of BO1 & a reboot of SR1.Doing a remake of SR1 & reboot of BO1 makes no sense, i'd rather a reboot of BO2 or SR2....just me .02 worth

Last edited by The Hylden; 03-26-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Profanity removed; warning issued
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

OugaBooga1, I've noticed your posts getting more and more belligerent of late. I advise you to reread over the Terms of Use that you agreed to when you signed up here. Specifically, no profanity and treat other members and their opinions with respect. majinkura is a long standing member and calling her out as not a "true fan" because she happens to differ from your opinion, and putting words in her mouth about what she believes, aren't acceptable practices here. Cease and desist such replies in the future to your fellow members. We're a very close-knit group and we all wish to see LoK succeed. You may disagree with one another, but not attack them, nor belittle them for their opinions contrary to yours.

This is your first warning. If you have issue with this, kindly address it via private channels, not here. Now, back to the friendly discourse.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga1 View Post
ANY True Fan ! of a series will almost always except a "remake", Not a reboot.
If you don't want 1 or the other then you don't want ANY LoK game by the sound of it.
You are SURE as <profanity removed> Not getting a defiance 2 until there's a remake or reboot.
almost 10 yrs & No defiance 2 should tell you something.
again if it aint broke - DON'T FIX IT :P

and since when does someone not liking a remake/reboot or whatever of a certain game make them not a "true fan" as you say??

like hylden said before - everyone's entitled to their own opinions.....and i may have been harsh earlier but i am expressing MY opinion.

don't like it. tough cookies i stick by my words.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Gamer

Ugh... now I get to carry on every day with hope in my heart until the rumor gets squashed and I go all sadsies again... just like last year...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Gamer

God save us from reboot.
And what the hell is it about "Soul Reaver" reboot? Ahem, did they forget one little thing, oh I don't know, maybe the fact that Raziel isn't the main character?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Well, for two games, he was. It just so happens that one of those games, at least, Soul Reaver 1, had the best marketing of the series, focussed almost solely on Raziel. More people probably wind up knowing who Raziel is than who the series should be made to embody, Kain. It's a bit tragic.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Gamer

Default You would think that.

You might think Raziel is better known, but people I know who don't know much about the series at least know Kain as the bad guy from Soul Reaver. He is in the intro, and shows up too frequently to be out of mind for too long.

Here is to E3 being this year being one of revivals.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Master562 View Post
You might think Raziel is better known, but people I know who don't know much about the series at least know Kain as the bad guy from Soul Reaver.
That's the problem. If they know of him, he's the bad guy...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Gamer

An interesting article about the things we want to see in a "new" LoK game:

http://www.gamesradar.com/legacy-kai...s-we-want-see/
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber View Post

Oops. Didn't see this post before I started a separate thread. lol

As far as LoK having a reboot/remake or whatever. As long as it stays true to the overall story and the characters are identifiably still the same people then I'm ok with it. Sadly it's been nearly a decade since the last game and it doesn't look like we'll be getting true closure to the series just yet, a remake/reboot might actually be more likely to deliver in that area if it can revive the series.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber View Post

Totally agree with this wish list, wouldn't mind if they incorporated these things into the new/reboot game, and if they did I could image it would be pretty epic. I just pray that they donít mess with the storyline or turn it into a cartoon or something lame, then I'll buy it (actually I probably still would buy it if they mucked it up just to try it but would just grumble about it lol).
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Hylden General
Eidos Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormarth View Post
Oops. Didn't see this post before I started a separate thread. lol
No worries.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 AM
Gamer

Another "Wishlist" if an eventual Remake ever sees the light:

http://pwrcords.com/2012/03/29/my-th...f-kain-series/
Old 03-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Gamer

Well, it's always good to see the series getting some exposure on the web. I just kinda wish the guy who wrote that article got his facts straight a little better. Maybe it's just me being a finicky fanboy, but I think he needs to go back and play the games again. Vampires vs Seraphim (Sarafan)? Vamps were banished (Hylden)? To these I say in a Comic Book Guy voice "Worst... synopsis... ever!" Ok, my little rant is done...

All in all I'm happy he wrote that article. The more hype the series gets, the better!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
formerly known as leazy

A lot of LoK articles going around. I saw a few ask for no twists endings. Soul Reaver's was underwhelming, but Soul Reaver 2's is still the best gut punch of a brain melting ending I've ever experienced.
There's obviously a lot of love for the series outside of this forum. I hope Eidos know this.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
No worries.
Thanks.... *sees thread annihilated* Were my tears that delicious? j/k

Anyways, back on topic. I remember the gamesradar mentioning going back to the RPG roots. I'd like to see this, but more specifically with the re-introduction of various armour sets, spells and weapons and inventory(maybe even add a loot system), especially if it's a Soul Reaver game since Raziel arguably never had much of that.

I know Raz is largely an incorporeal being and that his 'body' is just a manifestation of his power of sorts, but if he can wield weapons other than the Reaver then there's no real reason he can't have some sets of armour (magical or otherwise).

In terms of spells I think the Soul Reaver menu system could work effectively for this. Though it might be good to consider being able to hot key spells if you want access to a couple at a time or if there more than a handful to use. Also I don't think all spells should be Wraith or spirit world related. No reason he can't wield a fireball or lighting spell.

Lastly since I think it wouldn't hurt for the series to be an action RPG game I wouldn't mind Raziel being able to interact with NPC's. I think it would make for a more realised Nosgoth and give more depth to the overall game and world. Perhaps this could be handled in the same way as Kain's 'disguise' ability in Blood Omen. Though whether this should be a spell outside of Raz's natural Wraith abilities is questionable, some may see giving him the ability to manifest as a non-disfigured version of himself as a natural ability could be counter to his character (though I don't think it need take away from that aspect of his character and I think people might let it slide for the possible gameplay aspects).

Last edited by Dormarth; 03-29-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Gamer

I would really like if there were more abilities available to dispatch enemies than just the soul reaver alone, just as long as you don't have to use a 12 hit combo of button moves to use them. I like the whole idea of needing to acquire a certain skill in order to kill a boss, weapon, item ect. I just don't care to have to learn this ridiculous combo to do it. I would rather have to open a menu mid fight, equip something, and be able to complete the fight instead of going through the same fight over and over again, just hoping that I can hit the buttons I need and just the right time to kill the SOB.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Gamer

I agree somewhat. I would like to acquire abilities that are vital in dispatching some enemies or bosses, but I'd like them to vary it so it doesn't get boring. Sometimes it's just fun to go toe to toe with some bosses. Though I do love the odd boss that is a giant puzzle (like Dumah in SR1), but I don't think all bosses should be the same.

Also while I don't want to see an overly complicated combo system, I still think if it wants to be an action RPG or just action adventure then it may need a moderate and forgiving combo system. I'll admit that most games with those I don't really memorise them all and I just stick to a hand full of go-to combos, but it does stop combat from becoming too repetitive. I think it needs to be more than just 'tap X to fight'.

Talking about dispatching enemies, I'd love to see the unique finishing moves return as well (maybe a bit more varied though). It's usually satisfying to me as a gamer if I can take out an enemy in a unique way whether it's impaling (on a wall spike or spear), decapitating, igniting them on fire etc, it just adds to the fun.

Also I'd like to see the return of boss fights to the LoK series (and gaming in general lol). SR2 was probably the best scripted game in LoK, but it certainly lost something with the lack of boss fights.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Gamer

Ok, here's what I would personally want from the game. I think, in a broad scope, nothing really needs to change. The specifics need to be tweaked a bit to meet today's technological standards. For instance, the idea of using your environment to dispatch enemies is a must, but some fighting moves beyond just tapping square would add some depth to the otherwise basic combat system. I don't think block puzzles should be taken out entirely. I found them to be a defining trait of the game. However, they should definitely mix in some different kinds of puzzles.

The ability to interact with npc's is a nice idea. Just picture how much more lively the human citadel would seem if its denizens stopped to greet you, give you advice, or shout a warning that the horrible blue demon has returned! (If you go that route). The feral vampires could use some primal, broken speech when encountered too.

Because I'm hoping for more of a remake than a full-on reboot, I don't want to see any drastic alteration of the story that makes the game no longer compatible with the rest of the series. This would mean adding things like a battle with Turel wouldn't work for that purpose. However, I don't see any reason the Undercity/Temple and the Priestess couldn't be squeezed in there somewhere. Hell, some of the deleted reaver forges could concievably be added too.

Another option for the story is something that has been brought up before. Though I seriously don't see them doing this, having a choice between playing the game as it was released or how it was originally storied would be really really cool. I'm sure most people would be eager to play both scenarios.

As far as voice acting goes, my preference would be to reunite as much of the original cast as possible. There would have to be exceptions of course. Tony Jay would need a stand-in. If Turel were to be included, I think they should go with Gregg Berger again, for consistency's sake. Yeah, Richard Doyle was gonna be his voice in Soul Reaver, but that script never saw the light of day.

These are all just my personal opinions about how to best handle this remake/reboot. Feel free to agree/disagree as you see fit. I just thought I'd give my two cents while everyone else was.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore Keeper View Post
As far as voice acting goes, my preference would be to reunite as much of the original cast as possible.
THIS. - would be the only thing keeping me interested on this remake/reboot/whatever.. idea,even if the characters appearance/story changes.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kud13 View Post
Wrong. Kain is the most badass character in any game ever made.
Raziel, otoh, is dead.
What? Dream on, dream on

Anyway, the one and only thing that frightens me is that I wont be able to say how proud LoK fan I am if a lot of kids get attached to the series without actually playing originals.

I already imagine it as "Who's better, Ezio, Altair, Batman, Raziel or Dragonborn"

Dammit, kids, just damn it.

Anyway, a reboot is needed due to missing key components which were done during the SR1 era, and as for the original Voice cast it would be precious to remain the same.

But now is not the time for being pessimistic. If anything wrong happens we can clearly say "LoK died" and we can mess with kids who play it.

I still think that this is an epic April fools joke and I'm kind of frustrated.

Just waiting for someone to say it.

I recall playing Soul Reaver on Dreamcast while eating strawberries. My sis was pregnant. It was spring, I recall. A short, easy rain falling, spring break from school, and young nephew who has a life-bound trauma from Melchiah

Oh, well... I sound like EG.

AND YOU SIR, Raziel ain't dead. He lives in my heart forever!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Protagonist

Looks like no one's yelled "april fools" so far.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Milky View Post
Anyway, the one and only thing that frightens me is that I wont be able to say how proud LoK fan I am if a lot of kids get attached to the series without actually playing originals.

Dammit, kids, just damn it.

If anything wrong happens we can clearly say "LoK died" and we can mess with kids who play it.

I still think that this is an epic April fools joke and I'm kind of frustrated.

Just waiting for someone to say it.
that is what im afraid of too.....story watered down,character will look different lok becoming mainstream...bleh

i'll end up one of those people - "i was into lok before it became popular" type of person....

Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampmaster View Post
Looks like no one's yelled "april fools" so far.
Generally they tend to be done on April 1st. The rumour started up a good couple of weeks beforehand. I think it's a reasonable assumption that their validity isn't tied to an April Fool's prank. Though even if it is not, that doesn't make it real either.

Still, we live in hope.

Last edited by Dormarth; 04-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.