Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Thief Series > Thief - The Crippled Burrick Inn (General Discussion)

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 AM
New Player

Default So which is the best Thief game in the series?

Hello, I'm currently considering trying out a Thief game, 1, 2, or 3, but I'm not sure which would be best to start out with. So which Thief game would you guys say is the best one? I'm hoping the first I play will inspire me to get the rest too.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Forum Grinch

For game play try The Dark Project , the first one. If you have the DVD Complete collection all three should load.

For graphics and Eye Candy play T3. In Thief you must, repeat must, learn how to use the tools and movement. TDP is where to start.

In these games you DO NOT get magic upgrades to accuracy and equipment. For example with the bow you can shoot the button on a light switch 60 feet away and turn lights on or off. But only if you practice and learn the bow.

The DVD collection has the Gold version (added missions) of The Dark Project. TDP introduces you to all the equipment and skills you will need to develop.

The Metal Age is not quite as challenging as TDP, T3 is the most cumbersome of the three to play with skill. The graphics are better, the movement of the character more cumbersome, the artificial restrictions imposed by the game designers are very annoying.

In this game you do not try, or should not, to beat the game. You will only beat yourself. Take each room or area as you come to it. Examine every inch for secrets, loot, tools and take your time. Look at every wall, corner, piece of furniture and inch that you can. Secrets are hidden all over.

Doors, switches to turn things on or off, loot hidden in secret safes etc. Take your time.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Eidos Moderator

tBm is right. Start out with Thief 1, the Dark Project. It may have primitive graphics, but it offers the best game play and the best learning experience for how to play the game.

I suggest T2 next as it continues the series in order. Graphics are better than T1. T2 is the basis of many, many Fan-made Missions, too.

T3 is OK for last. T3 is an OK game in its own right, but IMO it is not in the same league as the original two for game play, navigation, and player movement.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Gamer

I have to agree. T1 is the best for gameplay. And in my opinion it's also the best for introducing you to the Thief universe.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 AM
New Player

Then I'll start with that, thanks