Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Legacy of Kain Series > Blood Omen Series - General Discussion

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
New Player

Hmm, I know the game is very famous for itīs excellent german synchro and also the package is german. But it may me that the menu is in english.
And after clicking start in the main menu its seems to start for a second ( black screen, but it looks like the game wants to start first level or intro) but then the screen gets to an other black and im back at the desktop without any error or something, it just ends the game.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:49 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrace View Post
About colors: may be it is a Win-7 feature? I don't remember that on WinXP was such ugly colors.
Hmm, I dunno, tried applying compatibility mode features like only using 256 colors, disabling desktop design(?) or whatever it's called and nothing seemed to help, but tbh I don't see it as that annoying anymore...

Still, got any tips?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
New Player

I've got one for you;

What I've done:
Installed the game with the Cuban Raul installer.
Used the bink pack thingy.
Tried all the compabillity modes, without luck.

My PC:
I'm running Win 7, 64-bit.

My issue:
I open the game and get three different game company things (I believe that part is uavoidable :P).
Afterwards I see nothing. Nothing at all, just black.
I suppose that there is supposed to be a menu here, but I cant see it.
I hear sound effects and stuff when I use the up and down arrows, and the game proceeds when I press space.
Then I see the intro, in which Kain goes homicidal on some wizards, and stuff.
When that is over, the picture freezes on the half-faded picture of the nine pedestals (the lastly shown picture), where after I hear that wierd conversation with the bartender
At this point I have to Alt-F4 out of the game.

Summary:
I can see the game companies, but not the menu.
I can see the Intro, but not the bartender scene, or the game itself...
Help?

Last edited by Graesholt; 12-28-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate acronyms.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Gamer

2 Graesholt: hm, it is known feature.
Solution from TheLostWorlds:
Quote:
If the FMV audio is out of sync with the video, and you have more than one monitor, disable every monitor except the main one while playing the game.
The official solution:
Quote:
Q: I've installed the game, set up DirectX, but the game screen is blank.
A: This is a characteristic of having the incorrect video driver loaded. To correct this:
1. Go to the Start menu on your taskbar and select Settings -> Control Panel.

2. Double-click on the Display icon, select the Settings tab.

3. Click on the Change Display Type button.

4. From the Change Display Type dialog box, confirm that the adapter type matches the card you have installed in your computer. If it is incorrect, click on the Change button.

5. In the Select Device dialog box, choose the correct video adapter. Click OK.
The additional solution from this forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666
If you have a Crossfire setup, disable Catalyst AI.
hm, 2 all: note that the game is running under Win-7 x64, but no crashing.

2 pontiuspilawa: I found (in this forum) the post with the problem like you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyfa666
After updating to ATI Catalyst v9.9, BO1 don't start anymore. When I run the .exe I get a second of black screen, then I get launched back to desktop. (Vista x64)
So I can conclude that the problem can be in some video-cards and their configurations.
Or may be pill.big just corrupted, - compare it with the one on the CD (hm, do you have a possibility to test your version of the game on another PC or under another OS?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rico Rodriguez
Still, got any tips?
Try to run the game under WinXP.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
New Player

Actually, I also use catalyst, so it really may be the ATI card. In which thread did you read that? Do they have an conclusion?
And sadly I dont have the possibility to use another OS, otherwise I would have tried this yet.

EDIT: How can I compare this data?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:05 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Actually, I also use catalyst, so it really may be the ATI card. In which thread did you read that? Do they have an conclusion?
No, this problem was not solved since for this it is needed to have such ATI card and Win-7 x64 (in thread from what I quoted the post it is the only post).
Quote:
How can I compare this data?
For example, in the Total Commander there is the feature "Compare the files by content".
Or just upload pill.big (packed in rar- or 7z-archive) from your version somewhere and give me link on it in the PM (!), - I will look your version and test it on WinXP SP3 with nVidia-card.

P.S.: or I can upload russian version of pill.big and give link you on this version in PM (just for testing).
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 AM
New Player

How do I disable this Catalyst thing, and what does it do exactly?
No where on the internet is there a simple answer to any of those two questions.
(I can't know if that is entirely true, but I've googled for a while and come up short :P)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Gamer

2 pontiuspilawa: I tested your version of pill.big - it is not corrupted and is worked well on my PC (with WinXP SP3 and nVidia-video-card). Thus, I conclude that there is something wrong (for BO1) in the drivers of the newest ATI-video-cards.
There are 2 solutions and in this case too:
1. just play in the PS-version of BO1 using emulator (ePSXe, for example);
2. use MS Virtual PC 2007 (or something like - WMVare, for example) with pre-installed OS (Win98, WinXP, Windows-7) to play BO1 (these Virtual Machines have the simplest video-cards which allow to play in BO1 without crashing).

2 Graesholt: you can do this in the options of ATI-video-card, I think. Ask Muyfa666 in PM for more exhaustive explanation (I never had the another video-card then nVidia).
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 AM
New Player

Isnīt a Virtual Machine like an emulator for older OS? How can it have an other card than my PC actually has? Could you try to explain this to me?
I need to install an older OS for an VM, right?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 AM
New Player

But I have an Nvidia card?
I have the Geforce GT 540M...?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiuspilawa
Isnīt a Virtual Machine like an emulator for older OS? How can it have an other card than my PC actually has?
Yeah, Virtual Machine is like an emulator for ANY OS (I install both Win98 and WinXP, and Windows-7 too). For example, MS Virtual PC has video-adapter S3 Trio32/64 with 8 Mb VRam (VMWare has something like) and does not support 3D-Acceleration (though it is impossible to run some games on them, but in BO1 and SR1 you can play). I think that this feature (another video-card) is realized in software-mode (or something like). I played in BO1 and SR1 under MS Virtual PC in 2007, - when there are no good patches for these games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graesholt
But I have an Nvidia card.
In such case the solution with disabling Catalyst AI (which is for ATI-cards) is not your's, - try another solution from ones I wrote under this one. (The source of the problem is evident - video-output goes into the wrong channell; so you need to redirect this output; how do this is written above.)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 AM
New Player

For a Virtual Machine I need a original windows CD and a license key, right?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Gamer

Any Windows CD, - for example, your own.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM
New Player

But I only have a windows 7 CD. I try to get a 98 or Xp CD, but Iīm not sure if I can get one. Or did I get something wrong?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
New Player

Dearest Wrace,
Thank you for your help
I have solved this issue by finding that I was running the adapter for my integrated graphics card, and by using the nvidia controll panel, I was able to run the program with that card instead of my other.
Now the game works, and I don't suppose I'll have to switch to my nvidia card anytime soon...
After all, the game is not that hard to run, now is it :P
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Gamer

2 pontiuspilawa: hm, why do you not install Windows-7 from your CD on Virtual PC? Also I find such solution (as I understood, it is WinXP-copy for Windows-7), - try it.

2 Graesholt: I am glad to "hear" that now BO1 works on your PC.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
New Player

That Xp mode just works for Windows 7 professional, enterprise and ultimate, not for home premium, I already tried this.
I got Virtual Machine now, are you experienced with this and could explain what to do?
Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Gamer

Install Windows on the Virtual Machine from cd, then install BO1 (from cd too or you can create and use ISO-image, or shared folders - if you installed MS Virtual PC additions) and play in it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
New Player

So installed the game with CubanRaul's installer. (I had to click on cancle later when it says that the programm can't find the CD (maybe, because it is a german CD))
Then i installed the bink patch and when i now start the game i can see the movies, but when i'm ingame i can only hear a man talking and then i have to alt+f4 the game.
Would be great, if somebody can help me.

Ps: Sorry for my english, i'm not good in it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Gamer

2 Miggel16: look at the posts 54 and 65 above.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
New Player

I can't find something like "change display typ" on windows 7 , maybe i'm in the wrong direction, because i don't understand everything in detail.
Can you post a screenshot of the windows where i have to change it?

Ps: After the barman completed his sentence, the game crashes a few seconds later with "no reaction from kain.exe" ...
Old 01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggel16
I can't find something like "change display typ" on windows 7 , maybe i'm in the wrong direction, because i don't understand everything in detail.
About "change display type": of course, on Win-7 there are no such thing exactly (because instruction was written for Win98), but there are something like and this deals with the settings of your video-adapter, - for example, on WinXP also there are no Change Display Type button, BUT there is drop-down menu on the same page (2. in the instruction) in which you can choose your video-adapter and after you need press the button Apply. Also - on the same page - there are button Additionally (or something like - I have russian version of Windows, so I don't know how exactly is this button written on English version), which allows to configure other settings of video-adapter.
Reasoning (for understanding):
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrace
(The source of the problem is evident - video-output goes into the wrong channell; so you need to redirect this output; how do this is written above.)
Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of the windows where i have to change it?
No, because I have: 1) WinXP; 2) russian version of this OS.

Quote:
After the barman completed his sentence, the game crashes a few seconds later with "no reaction from kain.exe"
In this case view posts 36-38 (solution - disabling your antivirus software).
Just read carefully this thread before asking about solved already problems. :yes:
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM
New Player

Hi, sorry for not responding for a long time now, but I was very busy for school. Thanks for your help, but it still does not work with an virtual machine, and to be honest, I do not want to try anything else anymore. I think i'll watch an playthrough on youtube. But, again thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Gamer

Ok, I have a new problem for you guys. Just recently bought BO1 for pc. I'm trying to install it on my laptop, BUT my cd-rom drive will not recognize the disc. I've tried making sure other discs work on my drive, and I've put the BO disc in my wife's pc. Both worked fine. I've been all over the internet looking for an answer. I have a Sony Vaio vpcf115fm running Windows 7 (64 Bit) that has a Mata bd-cmb uj141as drive in it. Any info on what's causing this and if there's a solution would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 AM
Gamer

Hi. Just copy content from bo1-cd onto USB flash drive (by using your wife's pc) and install bo1 from it.