Eidos Forums  

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > DX:HR Technical Forum

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
New Player

I have the same Freezing/Bluescreen issues. I first installed the game yesterday and tried to play it, however no matter what settings i used the game ran slow and had the stuttering issue. I flashed my motherboard bios to the latest version and in doing so somehow messed up my the boot sequence of my hard drive. I reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows. Took the entire day to do that and get my computer back to working order. I re download the entire game, attempt to set it up or play it and the thing freezes then blue-screens my computer. I CANNOT EVEN CHANGE ANY SETTINGS the game bsods the computer the second it shows the setup window.

ALL my drivers are up to date as I just reinstalled them.

AMD FX-6100
Gigabyte 990xa-ud3
ATI HD6950 2GB
16GB ram
Creative sound blaster audigy SE (onboard audio is disabled in bios)

Other games work perfectly fine. The issue IS this game.

Last edited by ac14; 01-04-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: forgot sound card
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

BSOD are usually related to hardware failing to do something.. most common cause in the past was overheating due to overclocking etc..

The setup window uses the main game exe with a command line forcing it to show the setup rather then launch the game, so theres something very strange occurring on your setup with the game exe.. you say you just reinstalled windows from scratch, so that would normally remove the usual culprits of legacy drivers etc.. Have got the latest amd optimiser fixes etc? are you 64 bit windows?

when your machine bsod's are u able to see the dll file that is actually failing?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
New Player

I can assure you nothing is overclocked. I have only gotten the latest ATI drivers. no hotfixes or anything. Apparently its related to the CPU, the bsod shows "A clock interrupt was not received" However I tried it again and that time it just hard locked the computer and didn't even show the blue screen.

Im running windows 7 professional 64-bit
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyna...42f&ItemID=153 <- try this? its the core optimiser from AMD..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Gamer

Why has Eidos abandoned the game?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
New Player

That Dual Core Optimiser did nothing as far as i can tell, it wont even run. For some reason its stuck at "preforming first time setup" now. usually it does this a bit before blusecreening but this time its just stuck.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycw2309 View Post
wont get banned, but if u circumvent the swear censor you will run into a ToU violation warning..

you dont say what your actual hardware is..

if steam is constantly redoing the redist and directx bit at the beginning that suggests something on the steam side is not being flagged as complete so keeps redoing. which screen do you get to, there are many boot up screens..

There only IS a steam version of the game, oh cept the onlive version i guess. Every time you do a integrity check steam will always download the dxhr.exe file again as a part of this check, thats steam doing that.. the validation failure is strange tho, you shouldn't get that on a valid account/game etc, have you tried taking your account offline and trying to play?

======================================================================================

I feel bad already! You were cool enough to reply without losing your head. Well done and I apologise for losing my head in my post. I have not attempted to play DXHR tonight, so I am replying with a cool head!

My Rig is as follows:

Win7 64Bit Ultimate
ASUS Rampage Extreme III
12GB Corsair Dominator TRi Channel 2000MHz
Intel i7 950 (OverClocked to 4.20GHz)
GTX480
Liquid Cooled Loop

Every other game on my system performs beautifully, such as BF3, DiRT3, CoDMW3, etc, etc. Batman Arkaham City also has similar issues with Crashing to Desktop - this is also DX11.

DXHR is right at the start of level one. The game loads, all the Developers, Publishers appear, then I go the CONTINUE and the game will either hang during loading process or if it makes it to the game, it's the very first part of the game, it will crash to desktop within 5 seconds. I cannot get any further in this game. I have not yet experienced it in DX11. However, DX9 plays fine. No glitches. No crash to Desktop. The Build Version is 1.3.643.1.

The problem Signature is as follows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: dxhr.exe
Application Version: 1.3.643.1
Application Timestamp: 4e970629
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: a9576d80
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

When I go into task manager to fully close the already crashed game, there what appears to be 2 .exe files.
One is the DXHR executable, this is stopped. The other is like a windows file - this is still running.

It appears to me that the execution file is the problem or at least triggers the problem.

Also **UPDATE** on STEAM problem: The redist problem is now resolved, and the game will continue to boot without going through the install process as mentioned in my original post. Now it's down to the game itself.

As mentioned in my last rant. I have an system designed for DX11. This is how I want to play this game.
The information I have provided for you tonight, is all I can give you, and the best to my knowledge.

Regards

**UPDATE:- Integrity Checks have been done.

======================================================================================
Old 01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
New Player

Seems the starting up problem was steams fault. however the game still bluescreens.

Managed to get a picture of it this time.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20218574/201...2018.56.03.jpg
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
New Player

I tried playing offline, but the game demonstrates the same behavior.

However, I think I have managed to prevent the game from crashing by tweaking down the display resolution and the visual effects. With the following configuration, I have yet to experience an other crash (just finished a 2hours playing session ):

"Sans" is french word roughly meaning "Feature is off"
DirectX11 is enabled, and the resolution is 1600*900 (down from 1920*1080)

My computer specs:
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM DDR3
Gigabyte P55A-UD4
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 Go (with latest beta driver)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits
Since it now works, I won't try an other cache integrity check: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
New Player

Dude try and make the Image a lot smaller as it knocks off other important issues from the thread that could be missed such as mine as it has important information that the mods need to read.

As for your BSoD, this is not the game. You really need to update your BIOS. This BSoD happens when the BIOS is an older version. Get latest release from your MoBo Vendor, Flash, and this will stop.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoH View Post
I tried playing offline, but the game demonstrates the same behavior.

However, I think I have managed to prevent the game from crashing by tweaking down the display resolution and the visual effects. With the following configuration, I have yet to experience an other crash (just finished a 2hours playing session ):

"Sans" is french word roughly meaning "Feature is off"
DirectX11 is enabled, and the resolution is 1600*900 (down from 1920*1080)

My computer specs:
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8Ghz
8GB RAM DDR3
Gigabyte P55A-UD4
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 Go (with latest beta driver)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits
Since it now works, I won't try an other cache integrity check: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"
==================================================================================
You shouldn't have to step down on the resolution nor the GPU game settings. I guess you got "lucky" on this occasion.

Update on my current POST.

I have underclocked my GPU back to default settings.
Closed MalwareBytes (to see if this was preventing anything from happening.
I am not going to Underclock my CPU back to default, since DX9 performs on DXHR and all my other games.

ALSO I HAVE DAEMON TOOLS which boots with system. I have stopped this service also to see if this the problem. Unfortunately, this didn't make the slightest difference.
So DT is completely ruled out!

One more final Edit for tonight: Playing DXHR on DX9 on my RIG is terrible for frame stutter. DX9 is TWO generations behind. The GPU I have is 2 Generations ahead. My card plays any DX9 game without flaw. I just don't understand what the hell is going on here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards....

====================================================================================
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
New Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuxAche View Post
Dude try and make the Image a lot smaller as it knocks off other important issues from the thread that could be missed such as mine as it has important information that the mods need to read.

As for your BSoD, this is not the game. You really need to update your BIOS. This BSoD happens when the BIOS is an older version. Get latest release from your MoBo Vendor, Flash, and this will stop.
I just flashed the bios to the newest ones that arent beta 2 days ago. before I did that the bluescreens would not occur but the game ran at about 5fps no matter what settings I used.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Inside Man
Eidos Official

So just to get a quick catch up;

@ac14 - i couldnt see your image am afraid our corporate firewall blocks `online storage` but am i right in thinking you got bsods after u flashed your bios? so on the `older` firmware you were able to run the game but at a low framerate?

@RoH - so yours runs `okay` now but you had to drop the settings right down to get it to not crash? your hardware is definitely more then good enough to run the game at pretty much maximum settings tho, so thats strange.. now you have a save point a way into the game why dont you try putting increasing a setting 1 step at a time, but only change one each time, see if that works etc?

@PhuxAche - so your issue is related to dx11 just crashing out (like with bats) but dx9 works, sorta..

That bout right?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 AM
New Player

@PhuxAche
Immature frivers are bound to stay that (bugs, bad memory management, ...) while as developpers mature their code and/or implement new DX11 functionnalities.

I agree that I shouldn't have to step down on my gaming experience to be able to play the game. I also think experimental-quality products should not be released to end customers. But, it's a fact that harsh competition between NVIDIA and ATI has shifted product policy priorities.

Deus Ex HR and Batman AC take advantage of bleeding-edge rendering technologies: their implementations by video card manufacturers are still lacking. Playing at (very) high resolutions only helps fueling the problem and revealing design flaws (stress tests anyone?). I'd rather reduce my gaming expectations than not being able to play those games at all.

@jaycw2309
This is exactly what I did.
I think the key was reducing the resolution and disabling SSAO. I will try reactivating DOF this evening. I am pretty sure antialisaing can be safely turned back on.

Last edited by RoH; 01-05-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
New Player

Quote:
So just to get a quick catch up;

@ac14 - i couldn't see your image am afraid our corporate firewall blocks `online storage` but am i right in thinking you got bsods after u flashed your bios? so on the `older` firmware you were able to run the game but at a low framerate?
Yes. I do not know what version of bios my motherboard came with but I was able to run the game but had horrible stuttering and low fps even in the menu. After flashing my bios to the newest version (thinking i was fixing the problem) the game now bluescreens my computer as soon as the setup utility appears. I have not even gotten to the game yet.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM
New Player

Quote:
@PhuxAche
Please remember that NVIDIA products have had DX11 support for only 10 months (sinch March and the release of its Fermi GPU). Drivers are bound to remain immature (bugs, bad memory management, ...) for a while as developpers mature their code and/or implement new DX11 functionnalities.

I agree that I shouldn't have to step down on my gaming experience to be able to play the game. I also think experimental-quality products should not be released to end customers. But, it's a fact that harsh competition between NVIDIA and ATI has shifted product policy priorities.

Deus Ex HR and Batman AC take advantage of bleeding-edge rendering technologies: their implementations by video card manufacturers are still lacking. Playing at (very) high resolutions only helps fueling the problem and revealing design flaws (stress tests anyone?). I'd rather reduce my gaming expectations than not being able to play those games at all.

@jaycw2309
This is exactly what I did.
I think the key was reducing the resolution and disabling SSAO. I will try reactivating DOF this evening. I am pretty sure antialisaing can be safely turned back on.
Sorry but your information is totally inaccurate!
This is NOT like how DX10 was. DX11 is more efficient, and more streamlined than DX10 was. DX10 was a NIGHTMARE for programmers to get used to - hence the probs with Crysis 1. DX11 is more user friendly with Devs, and this is a proven fact - unfortunately, not with EIDOS lol.

I know enough about the DX11 APi and I know what you stated is not true. Suffice to say, I have numerous DX11 games that play perfectly such as F1 2010, F1 2011, DiRT2 & DiRT3, BF2, BF3, Saints Row the Third, NFS:The Run, AvP, and more, and I can tell you right off that these games present NO problems. No crashes to desktop. No stutters. Nothing. Which goes to prove, that those developers can do it right. Take a look at FrostBite(2) DX11 game engine. No problems what so ever. Perfectly fluid in every sense. High framrates, fluidity, and no problems. Bear in mind this is a PURE 100% DirectX11 game built from the ground up...

Back to Eidos and how they implement DX11, well, maybe they are not having as good a time as they thought they would???

To the Mods, I tried in vain again last night. Shut off various other services to see if they were the issue, but nothing. As I mentioned, the game runs on DX9 with no Crash to DT but it is choppy. On DX11, the game just does not want to boot up to play.

As for your game performing with lowered settings, I can't see why this can make your game work? I lowered all effects, and tried also, and I still had same problems...

EDIT: Btw, I don't know where you get the 10months of DX11 from because the GTX480 (example) has been out since March 2010 (22 months to be precise). ATi had DX11 Cards out even earlier, in fact at the end of 2009!! There has been Mature drivers for over a year now. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say BMAC and DXHR are at the edge of technology (when it comes to DX11). They are games that are DX9 based, with DX11 added effects.
BF3(pc) on the other hand, is DirectX11 built from the ground up. Now that is edge of current gaming technology AND it works FLAWLESSLY! No pun intended btw, but you've substantiated very little evidence or - lack of - to back yourself up. Sorry!

Last edited by PhuxAche; 01-05-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Updated Info...
Old 01-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Gamer

http://www.pbase.com/misstkphotograp...672/medium.jpg

Hello...

In my second palying through of dxhr I noticed the mesh pattern on almost every prop what I can interact with ( link ). Solid and glass doors, boxes, drawers. It did not happened when I first played the game and I used the same computer system. How can I get rid of it please.

PC : Itel core iS-2500CPU @3.30GHz
RAM : 4.00 GB
Video : ATI Radeon HD 5670

My game set to: Directx 11
Anti-Aliasing - FXAA
Shadow - soft
DOF - High
SSAO - High
Post process - On
Texture filter - Trillinear
VSYNC - On
Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 AM
New Player

Quote:
EDIT: Btw, I don't know where you get the 10months of DX11 from because the GTX480 (example) has been out since March 2010 (22 months to be precise). ATi had DX11 Cards out even earlier, in fact at the end of 2009!! There has been Mature drivers for over a year now. Also, I wouldn't go as far as to say BMAC and DXHR are at the edge of technology (when it comes to DX11). They are games that are DX9 based, with DX11 added effects.
BF3(pc) on the other hand, is DirectX11 built from the ground up. Now that is edge of current gaming technology AND it works FLAWLESSLY! No pun intended btw, but you've substantiated very little evidence or - lack of - to back yourself up. Sorry!
My post was fixed long before you edited yours. My sources were reliable, my maths wasn't (I am still getting used to 2012). ATI having released DX11 drivers earlier than NVIDIA is irrelevant since you have NVIDIA hardware.

My post attempted to explain why I disagreed with you on "You shouldn't have to step down on the resolution nor the GPU game settings." It was not meant to be an assesment on DX11 related technologies.

Quote:
As for your game performing with lowered settings, I can't see why this can make your game work?
Take it the other way around. Higher settings increase the load withstood by the software (and the underlying hardware): complex effects are computing-intensive and higher resolutions mean that more memory has to be managed to store rendering data (1600*900=1.44m pixels 1920*1080=2.07m). Stress tests are a common way to evaluate the reliablity of a system, like for example, detecting memory leaks.

While playing with lowered settings, I rely less on the software. It did work for me: yesterday, I played for an other 3hr, with DX11 enabled. Your problem is different, I'm sorry I cannot help since I know how frustrating your situation can be.

@jaycw2309
I did experienced one crash during my last gaming session after 2h (using the above settings). I guess you were right saying that my game runs now "okay enough" to be played. I will make deeper testing this week-end.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
New Player

Quote:
My post was fixed long before you edited yours. My sources were reliable, my maths wasn't (I am still getting used to 2012). ATI having released DX11 drivers earlier than NVIDIA is irrelevant since you have NVIDIA hardware.

My post attempted to explain why I disagreed with you on "You shouldn't have to step down on the resolution nor the GPU game settings." It was not meant to be an assesment on DX11 related technologies.

Take it the other way around. Higher settings increase the load withstood by the software (and the underlying hardware): complex effects are computing-intensive and higher resolutions mean that more memory has to be managed to store rendering data (1600*900=1.44m pixels 1920*1080=2.07m). Stress tests are a common way to evaluate the reliablity of a system, like for example, detecting memory leaks.

While playing with lowered settings, I rely less on the software. It did work for me: yesterday, I played for an other 3hr, with DX11 enabled. Your problem is different, I'm sorry I cannot help since I know how frustrating your situation can be.

@jaycw2309
I did experienced one crash during my last gaming session after 2h (using the above settings). I guess you were right saying that my game runs now "okay enough" to be played. I will make deeper testing this week-end.
Did you not read what I posted lol? What you are trying to say here, or what it sounds like to me, is that "most" if not "all" High End rigs will.. erm.. not fully handle this game DXHR? Did you not read the bit about BF3? Or the other games for that matter that I listed as DX11? As I mentioned, there has been no problem on my system with any of those games. Especially BF3 which is all Ultra, 16xAA, the lot. What is the difference with this ( a full DX11 GAME) running flawlessly? There was a point when I could play the game on DX11 for probably a period of about half hour, all highest settings, and it was smooth. No problems - apart from crash to desktop.

I do realise what you are saying here. But as I mentioned on last post, DX11 is a more user friendly APi compared to what DX10 was to devs - a Nightmare!

Back to the Mods tho.....

I have not heard a peep. Shall I bump my answer to your last question, as you seemed to have not responded?

Cheers

EDIT: RoH... just out of curiosity.... who are your resources??? My resources are and is a friend who works for Slightly Mad Studio who are currently developing for Consoles as well as PC and of course implementing DX11. It's more time consuming rather than complexity of implementation.

Last edited by PhuxAche; 01-06-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
New Player

Quote:

BTW my gripe is not with you bud. I just want EIDOS "HELLO EIDOS ANYONE THERE?" to fix this problem yesterday!
I'm not here to flame, etc. I just want my bloody monies worth from this so called Master piece?!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:15 PM
New Player

Quote:
BSOD are usually related to hardware failing to do something.. most common cause in the past was overheating due to overclocking etc..

The setup window uses the main game exe with a command line forcing it to show the setup rather then launch the game, so theres something very strange occurring on your setup with the game exe.. you say you just reinstalled windows from scratch, so that would normally remove the usual culprits of legacy drivers etc.. Have got the latest amd optimiser fixes etc? are you 64 bit windows?

when your machine bsod's are u able to see the dll file that is actually failing?
BSoD's are not all confined to Hardware. Drivers, Beta's, apps can all give BSoD's
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
New Player

Looks like everyone's given up on getting this game sorted!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Looks like everyone's given up on getting this game sorted!
Look's like its gone that way.The best thing to do in the long run,would to NOT purchase or support their next title.The problem with the industry nowadays,is that a game can easily be forgotten about within months,leaving huge technical problems or not.Thats just business im afraid.Then developers announce the next title,and people foolishly buy into it,whilst the last "buggy" game was all but forgoten.Its been a running trend for years.

It costs money,and man-hours to iron out bugs....not many companys are willing to sacrafice that.Mainly because of the publishers.Sad but true.

All we can do is hope that SOMEONE is listening,and at the end of the day....its a win win situation.Does'nt look that way though.Prove me wrong eidos.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
New Player

Update:

My CPU OC Volatge is sitting at 1.125v. Now I remember BF BC2 didn't like my Volatge for my OC. The only bloody game that gave me this problem. So for Dues Ex, I set my Voltage up by .0125v from 1.125 to 1.1375 and booted DX up and it has improved. The time from crash to desktop is now like 10 mins or so.

Good but not good. Well you see, every other game I have on DX11 does not give me issues with my "STABLE" OC. Apart from BFBC2, but all I have to do with this is raise the volts .0075v to stop this. What I have found, is that in order for Dues ExHR (DX11) to run "crash" free on my OC'd system, is to rise the CPU Volts to 1.14 which I think sucks because I have game titles that can run flawlessly on the 1.125v.

So, to a certain extent, my issue has been resolved, BUT I am not happy having to increase my volts just to play this damn game. Prime95 does not crash, nor does memtest. So why does this bloody game, and perhaps most likely BMAC will also relate to this voltage issue (will check this out also).

If you are having problems with C2DT whilst playing DXHR DX11 and you have OC'd your CPU, then I suggest raising your volts up .0125v+ (depending on CPU) to test run this and see what happens, and give feed back.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
New Player

Guessing I should seek a refund since its been a few weeks and I still cannot play this game whatsoever.