Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
iMod
Eidos Administrator

^ Damn, you caught me, Ivana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
But can you speak Nederlands?
Maar natuurlek, gozah. Ik zah toch gen Nederlandah zn als ik m'n eiguh taal niet spreek.

(Can you guess from my accent which city I'm from? )

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Gamer

Is Dutch your mothertongue? Because you all seem to write in better English than me!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceTrouble View Post
kugh DOA kugh
Seriously, put them away dear. And I hate to say this but can't you see a particular part of her anatomy sagging ever-so-slightly?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
Seriously, put them away dear. And I hate to say this but can't you see a particular part of her anatomy sagging ever-so-slightly?
Let's just say if that strap breaks, I think her knees are going to get a battering
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
Let's just say if that strap breaks, I think her knees are going to get a battering
but I mean a different part of her anatomy
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Hmmm... Do you think 'she' might be a tranny?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driber View Post

Maar natuurlek, gozah. Ik zah toch gen Nederlandah zn als ik m'n eiguh taal niet spreek.

(Can you guess from my accent which city I'm from? )
Well, one quick examination of your account tells me you're live in 'Mater Urbium', so I suppose you live in Prague? :P
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
iMod
Eidos Administrator

^ That's where I live, not where I'm from

I guess you don't recognize Haags when you see it

Quote:
Oh geez, that's just the Z-buffer not being pixel perfect. Pedantic, much?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
CrystalD Art Director
Eidos Official

Hey Andy,

I'd be interested to discuss your objections to my views on Lara, if you'd like. Responding to those invested in Lara is important to us.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Gamer

Not so much pedantic as... Thoroughly observant
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Gamer

Hello Brian (I love you)
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
iMod
Eidos Administrator

Awww, is our lady having a crush on Brian?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Gamer

Man peps calm down XD I would totally donate if i had the money!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Gamer

^^ He's a hot artist, who wouldn't?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Horton View Post
I'd be interested to discuss your objections to my views on Lara, if you'd like. Responding to those invested in Lara is important to us.
Can I just put in a quick critisism on the outfit choice you support in the interview, Brian. There is nothing of Lara reflected in a such generic 'grey' choice. No signiture sexyness or fashion sence at all. To have the new outfit/look embody too much masculinity also undermines the whole concept of Lara as the big pioneer for women in gaming.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Gamer

With TR Legend some people said there was too much humor, unlockable outfits and boss battles. Then in TRU we got none of any of these aspects which was much worse than too much of them had been. It looks from the interview like the same thing is about to happen to Lara's sexyness. This aspect could be great if used right (like the characters from resi 5). It shouldn't be too overplayed but going too far to the opposite in removing it completely would only serve to detract from Lara
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Gamer

I love this new Lara, because she looks more real and more realistic in that her size and weight matches what her chest size should be. Sorry to go back to that. Anyway, she is Lara from the beginning so it'll be great to see her then and see how she became the Lara we know.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Gamer

I just hope she doesn't become too much of the Lara we know and I know that she won't be getting a boob job and running around in skimpy little shorts any time soon so that makes me feel a little better. I do love Lara but I just want her to be realistic and relatable and this game could really be the one to bring her totally back down to Earth. TRU did an ok job in her look but I want to see her overall self a little more humane.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Gamer

^ Yep that's what I want also. I want to see her vulnerable side.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
CrystalD Art Director
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
Can I just put in a quick critisism on the outfit choice you support in the interview, Brian. There is nothing of Lara reflected in a such generic 'grey' choice. No signiture sexyness or fashion sence at all. To have the new outfit/look embody too much masculinity also undermines the whole concept of Lara as the big pioneer for women in gaming.
Hey Flintmelody, thanks for articulating your concerns, I'll do my best to explain our thinking and decisions.

The idea behind the grey was something that the team debated for a while. As a fan of the classics we wanted to nod to the original outfit in some way, and our first concept was of a light blue tank. We lived with that for a while and decided that a more neutral color was more fitting the personality profile we are building for her in this origin story.

We wanted to allow Lara to look understated, she's not interested in standing out because she hasn't yet achieved the confidence in herself. The grey also had an interesting side effect, depending on the lighting it changes color. For instance in the Den, her top reads as blue which I really liked. We use color in the lighting throughout the game to express emotions so Lara's outfit seems to change based on these color shifts.

As to her sex appeal, the team wanted to make her feel like she was a part of this crew and her outfit is a big part of that. We feel the design has struck the right balance of attractiveness and practicality. We didn't want her to have a uniform, so designing clothes that could be purchased in a store seemed like the correct choice. Layered tanks, khakis and boots felt right for her and if you look at the original Lara it's very close to that vision. The shorts were never a part of the equation for us, nor being an icon of fashion. It just didn't feel right in context to her character or as a crew member on this expedition. If you feel this detracts from her sex appeal I understand, but that was not our main goal. Our goal was to create the most believable, grounded version of Lara we could, younger and more emotionally rich.

We understand that these changes are a break from the past incarnations of Lara Croft, but we designed her with love and respect for her and the fans. Thanks again for your questions and concerns, I hope that helps put our decisions in context.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Gamer

People hear the name Lara Croft and start to fantasise with catwalk models for Victoria's Secret, cover pictures from Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and so on. It was about time she started to be portrayed as a young archaeologist doing her field work. What you guys made to her image is spectacular, to say the least.

Keep the great job, folks. You're doing it right
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Gamer

^^ I totally agree, and not just because I think you're hot . Lara still has a body to be desired but she would look ridiculous if her outfit was all dressy and sexy while the rest of the crew's outfits were practical for the expedition they were going on. It would make her look uninterested from the whole expedition and make her look more focused on her look which is not Lara in any of her past portrayals.

Sure she's always been sexier and her sex appeal has always been part of her charm but sex appeal isn't just sexy outfits and big boobs, there's so much more to it than that. I want to see more of Lara's intelligence and natural beauty shine through in this game than just her sex appeal and the outfit she has in this game is by far the best out of all of the past games.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Archaeologist

Loved reading your thoughts behind Lara's new look, Brian! I personally love this more grounded version of Lara!

Quote:
^^ I totally agree, and not just because I think you're hot . Lara still has a body to be desired but she would look ridiculous if her outfit was all dressy and sexy while the rest of the crew's outfits were practical for the expedition they were going on. It would make her look uninterested from the whole expedition and make her look more focused on her look which is not Lara in any of her past portrayals.

Sure she's always been sexier and her sex appeal has always been part of her charm but sex appeal isn't just sexy outfits and big boobs, there's so much more to it than that. I want to see more of Lara's intelligence and natural beauty shine through in this game than just her sex appeal and the outfit she has in this game is by far the best out of all of the past games.
Totally agree with you!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
New Player

Thanks for this precision M. Brian Horton
It's right we can think it's no sexy for Lara, but I'm a woman and I love the new outfit of Lara Croft. (I prefer it than bikini for example or "fashion" outfit of Underworld)
When I was more young, I wear always this type of pants or simple t-shirt lol ! Just I hope at the end, Lara will tear her pant to become a short ? Perhaps? lol ! ^^
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Horton View Post
Hey Flintmelody, thanks for articulating your concerns, I'll do my best to explain our thinking and decisions.

The idea behind the grey was something that the team debated for a while. As a fan of the classics we wanted to nod to the original outfit in some way, and our first concept was of a light blue tank. We lived with that for a while and decided that a more neutral color was more fitting the personality profile we are building for her in this origin story.

We wanted to allow Lara to look understated, she's not interested in standing out because she hasn't yet achieved the confidence in herself. The grey also had an interesting side effect, depending on the lighting it changes color. For instance in the Den, her top reads as blue which I really liked. We use color in the lighting throughout the game to express emotions so Lara's outfit seems to change based on these color shifts.

As to her sex appeal, the team wanted to make her feel like she was a part of this crew and her outfit is a big part of that. We feel the design has struck the right balance of attractiveness and practicality. We didn't want her to have a uniform, so designing clothes that could be purchased in a store seemed like the correct choice. Layered tanks, khakis and boots felt right for her and if you look at the original Lara it's very close to that vision. The shorts were never a part of the equation for us, nor being an icon of fashion. It just didn't feel right in context to her character or as a crew member on this expedition. If you feel this detracts from her sex appeal I understand, but that was not our main goal. Our goal was to create the most believable, grounded version of Lara we could, younger and more emotionally rich.

We understand that these changes are a break from the past incarnations of Lara Croft, but we designed her with love and respect for her and the fans. Thanks again for your questions and concerns, I hope that helps put our decisions in context.

Cheers,

Brian

Excellent , thanks , we love the new Lara , we love her new outfit , it is true ... shorts on a boat ... no no no Pants are beautiful , thank you