Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #326  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Driber's Avatar
Driber Driber is offline
iMod
Eidos Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mater Urbium
Posts: 19,692
Default

^ Damn, you caught me, Ivana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARALOVERnr.1 View Post
But can you speak Nederlands?
Maar natuurlek, gozah. Ik zah toch gen Nederlandah zn als ik m'n eiguh taal niet spreek.

(Can you guess from my accent which city I'm from? )
__________________

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

Is Dutch your mothertongue? Because you all seem to write in better English than me!
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceTrouble View Post
kugh DOA kugh
Seriously, put them away dear. And I hate to say this but can't you see a particular part of her anatomy sagging ever-so-slightly?
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Elliot Kane's Avatar
Elliot Kane Elliot Kane is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
Seriously, put them away dear. And I hate to say this but can't you see a particular part of her anatomy sagging ever-so-slightly?
Let's just say if that strap breaks, I think her knees are going to get a battering
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Kane View Post
Let's just say if that strap breaks, I think her knees are going to get a battering
but I mean a different part of her anatomy
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Elliot Kane's Avatar
Elliot Kane Elliot Kane is offline
Protagonist
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
but I mean a different part of her anatomy
Hmmm... Do you think 'she' might be a tranny?
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
LARALOVERnr.1's Avatar
LARALOVERnr.1 LARALOVERnr.1 is offline
Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driber View Post



Maar natuurlek, gozah. Ik zah toch gen Nederlandah zn als ik m'n eiguh taal niet spreek.

(Can you guess from my accent which city I'm from? )
Well, one quick examination of your account tells me you're live in 'Mater Urbium', so I suppose you live in Prague? :P
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Driber's Avatar
Driber Driber is offline
iMod
Eidos Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mater Urbium
Posts: 19,692
Default

^ That's where I live, not where I'm from

I guess you don't recognize Haags when you see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
but I mean a different part of her anatomy
Oh geez, that's just the Z-buffer not being pixel perfect. Pedantic, much?
__________________

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Brian Horton's Avatar
Brian Horton Brian Horton is offline
CrystalD Art Director
Eidos Official
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crystal Dynamics
Posts: 9
Default

Hey Andy,

I'd be interested to discuss your objections to my views on Lara, if you'd like. Responding to those invested in Lara is important to us.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

Not so much pedantic as... Thoroughly observant
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

Hello Brian (I love you)
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Driber's Avatar
Driber Driber is offline
iMod
Eidos Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mater Urbium
Posts: 19,692
Default

Awww, is our lady having a crush on Brian?
__________________

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
2kool4u 2kool4u is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 40
Default

Man peps calm down XD I would totally donate if i had the money!
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 AM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

^^ He's a hot artist, who wouldn't?
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Flintmelody's Avatar
Flintmelody Flintmelody is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Horton View Post
I'd be interested to discuss your objections to my views on Lara, if you'd like. Responding to those invested in Lara is important to us.
Can I just put in a quick critisism on the outfit choice you support in the interview, Brian. There is nothing of Lara reflected in a such generic 'grey' choice. No signiture sexyness or fashion sence at all. To have the new outfit/look embody too much masculinity also undermines the whole concept of Lara as the big pioneer for women in gaming.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 AM
Mick2412's Avatar
Mick2412 Mick2412 is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 210
Default

With TR Legend some people said there was too much humor, unlockable outfits and boss battles. Then in TRU we got none of any of these aspects which was much worse than too much of them had been. It looks from the interview like the same thing is about to happen to Lara's sexyness. This aspect could be great if used right (like the characters from resi 5). It shouldn't be too overplayed but going too far to the opposite in removing it completely would only serve to detract from Lara
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Lara_Fan_84's Avatar
Lara_Fan_84 Lara_Fan_84 is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 473
Default

I love this new Lara, because she looks more real and more realistic in that her size and weight matches what her chest size should be. Sorry to go back to that. Anyway, she is Lara from the beginning so it'll be great to see her then and see how she became the Lara we know.
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

I just hope she doesn't become too much of the Lara we know and I know that she won't be getting a boob job and running around in skimpy little shorts any time soon so that makes me feel a little better. I do love Lara but I just want her to be realistic and relatable and this game could really be the one to bring her totally back down to Earth. TRU did an ok job in her look but I want to see her overall self a little more humane.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Lara_Fan_84's Avatar
Lara_Fan_84 Lara_Fan_84 is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Posts: 473
Default

^ Yep that's what I want also. I want to see her vulnerable side.
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Brian Horton's Avatar
Brian Horton Brian Horton is offline
CrystalD Art Director
Eidos Official
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crystal Dynamics
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintmelody View Post
Can I just put in a quick critisism on the outfit choice you support in the interview, Brian. There is nothing of Lara reflected in a such generic 'grey' choice. No signiture sexyness or fashion sence at all. To have the new outfit/look embody too much masculinity also undermines the whole concept of Lara as the big pioneer for women in gaming.
Hey Flintmelody, thanks for articulating your concerns, I'll do my best to explain our thinking and decisions.

The idea behind the grey was something that the team debated for a while. As a fan of the classics we wanted to nod to the original outfit in some way, and our first concept was of a light blue tank. We lived with that for a while and decided that a more neutral color was more fitting the personality profile we are building for her in this origin story.

We wanted to allow Lara to look understated, she's not interested in standing out because she hasn't yet achieved the confidence in herself. The grey also had an interesting side effect, depending on the lighting it changes color. For instance in the Den, her top reads as blue which I really liked. We use color in the lighting throughout the game to express emotions so Lara's outfit seems to change based on these color shifts.

As to her sex appeal, the team wanted to make her feel like she was a part of this crew and her outfit is a big part of that. We feel the design has struck the right balance of attractiveness and practicality. We didn't want her to have a uniform, so designing clothes that could be purchased in a store seemed like the correct choice. Layered tanks, khakis and boots felt right for her and if you look at the original Lara it's very close to that vision. The shorts were never a part of the equation for us, nor being an icon of fashion. It just didn't feel right in context to her character or as a crew member on this expedition. If you feel this detracts from her sex appeal I understand, but that was not our main goal. Our goal was to create the most believable, grounded version of Lara we could, younger and more emotionally rich.

We understand that these changes are a break from the past incarnations of Lara Croft, but we designed her with love and respect for her and the fans. Thanks again for your questions and concerns, I hope that helps put our decisions in context.

Cheers,

Brian
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 PM
QiX's Avatar
QiX QiX is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 220'10"S 4752'38"W
Posts: 403
Default

People hear the name Lara Croft and start to fantasise with catwalk models for Victoria's Secret, cover pictures from Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and so on. It was about time she started to be portrayed as a young archaeologist doing her field work. What you guys made to her image is spectacular, to say the least.

Keep the great job, folks. You're doing it right
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
LadyRufina's Avatar
LadyRufina LadyRufina is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,374
Default

^^ I totally agree, and not just because I think you're hot . Lara still has a body to be desired but she would look ridiculous if her outfit was all dressy and sexy while the rest of the crew's outfits were practical for the expedition they were going on. It would make her look uninterested from the whole expedition and make her look more focused on her look which is not Lara in any of her past portrayals.

Sure she's always been sexier and her sex appeal has always been part of her charm but sex appeal isn't just sexy outfits and big boobs, there's so much more to it than that. I want to see more of Lara's intelligence and natural beauty shine through in this game than just her sex appeal and the outfit she has in this game is by far the best out of all of the past games.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
dark7angel's Avatar
dark7angel dark7angel is online now
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,441
Default

Loved reading your thoughts behind Lara's new look, Brian! I personally love this more grounded version of Lara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRufina View Post
^^ I totally agree, and not just because I think you're hot . Lara still has a body to be desired but she would look ridiculous if her outfit was all dressy and sexy while the rest of the crew's outfits were practical for the expedition they were going on. It would make her look uninterested from the whole expedition and make her look more focused on her look which is not Lara in any of her past portrayals.

Sure she's always been sexier and her sex appeal has always been part of her charm but sex appeal isn't just sexy outfits and big boobs, there's so much more to it than that. I want to see more of Lara's intelligence and natural beauty shine through in this game than just her sex appeal and the outfit she has in this game is by far the best out of all of the past games.
Totally agree with you!!!
__________________
signature image
- Wyrd bi ful ard -
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Laragwen's Avatar
Laragwen Laragwen is offline
New Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: France
Posts: 22
Default

Thanks for this precision M. Brian Horton
It's right we can think it's no sexy for Lara, but I'm a woman and I love the new outfit of Lara Croft. (I prefer it than bikini for example or "fashion" outfit of Underworld)
When I was more young, I wear always this type of pants or simple t-shirt lol ! Just I hope at the end, Lara will tear her pant to become a short ? Perhaps? lol ! ^^
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM
FearEffect's Avatar
FearEffect FearEffect is offline
Gamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Fear Effect Inferno
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Horton View Post
Hey Flintmelody, thanks for articulating your concerns, I'll do my best to explain our thinking and decisions.

The idea behind the grey was something that the team debated for a while. As a fan of the classics we wanted to nod to the original outfit in some way, and our first concept was of a light blue tank. We lived with that for a while and decided that a more neutral color was more fitting the personality profile we are building for her in this origin story.

We wanted to allow Lara to look understated, she's not interested in standing out because she hasn't yet achieved the confidence in herself. The grey also had an interesting side effect, depending on the lighting it changes color. For instance in the Den, her top reads as blue which I really liked. We use color in the lighting throughout the game to express emotions so Lara's outfit seems to change based on these color shifts.

As to her sex appeal, the team wanted to make her feel like she was a part of this crew and her outfit is a big part of that. We feel the design has struck the right balance of attractiveness and practicality. We didn't want her to have a uniform, so designing clothes that could be purchased in a store seemed like the correct choice. Layered tanks, khakis and boots felt right for her and if you look at the original Lara it's very close to that vision. The shorts were never a part of the equation for us, nor being an icon of fashion. It just didn't feel right in context to her character or as a crew member on this expedition. If you feel this detracts from her sex appeal I understand, but that was not our main goal. Our goal was to create the most believable, grounded version of Lara we could, younger and more emotionally rich.

We understand that these changes are a break from the past incarnations of Lara Croft, but we designed her with love and respect for her and the fans. Thanks again for your questions and concerns, I hope that helps put our decisions in context.

Cheers,

Brian

Excellent , thanks , we love the new Lara , we love her new outfit , it is true ... shorts on a boat ... no no no Pants are beautiful , thank you
__________________
signature image
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.