Eidos Forums

Go Back   Eidos Forums > Eidos Classics > Thief Series > Thief - Technical Forum

Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM
New Player

Default Multiple issues with thief 2

After a very long time of looking through old bins I have finally been able to find my thief 2 game. However due to many issues I am currently unable to run it...

Currently if I press play on the start up nothing happens with the game, however if I browse into program files and run the game through that it requests that I place cd 2 in the cd tray despite the fact that it is there.

That however is not the problem I have with the game primarily. Before that bug very randomly appeared upon reaching the start up menu the screen would not update movement. However by moving the mouse I can hear it mouse over options and can switch screens (the screen updates if I alt tab out and back in oddly). Upon starting the first mission the initial video plays a few pixels in height, perhaps 2 or 3, but the correct width and I can watch images change so the video is definitely working. If I click during the video the game crashes. At the objective screen clicking the start game button also causes the game to crash leaving me stuck.

I've searched all over the internet for these bugs but no one seems to have experienced them... I am on a windows 7 computer. To be specific it is the Pavilion dv6-6153 cl entertainment pc. I have set the cpu's to 1 in the set affinity but it changed nothing. I have used the 1.18 premier patch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to enjoy this classic as I did thief the dark project.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Eidos Moderator

You have named a bunch of symptoms that I am not familiar with. I can suggest only that you follow all the standard procedures and patches. It is important that you descriibe your system thoroughly and explain what you have done.

Check first the sticky thread here about thief2 running on modern computers. That takes you through XP. Then search here and at TTLG for anything related to Windows 7. There were some recent posts here about windows 7 that contained useful information.

I am not sure what the premier patch is. There are several re-sellers of the game who may have their own patches. You need to make sure the patch is compatible with your original EXE.

One thing that may bite you is that some recent graphics cards cannot play the game without DDFIX, and DDFIX only works if you have the right version of a patched EXE to begin with. So, it is important to understand the origins of your EXE and its patches and to see if they are compatible with DDFIX. There is a thread at TTLG about DDFIX that may shed some light on this. There is a fair amount of homework to do concerning combinations of system properties and what to do about it.

In any case, read the FAQ's, etc., one of which tells you to post your system stats. Most important among these is the video card and its driver. Also post any modifications you have done per the sticky thread. For example, if setting affinity to 1 CPU, how and when did you do it.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 PM
New Player

I apologize for the lack of information I am unfamiliar with asking for help on forums. In past problems I was able to google or fiddle with the computer until it worked properly. The information on my graphics card is mixed... The system tells me I am running Mobile Intel(R) HD graphics while the information that came with the computer states Radeon switchable graphics.

Exactly what I have done is - Install thief through lgntflag. Attempted run, encountered error of frozen menu video. Installed the 1.18 premier patch. The premier patch is referenced here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#nocd . It is a 1.18 patch that prevents the error of the computer not recognizing the cd post patch. Ran again, same error.

I attempted the DDfix.dll however I received a user sharing error despite running as an administrator. Afterwards I set affinity to cpu 1 of 8 however this changed nothing. Of course this is because I never actually succeeded in running the game.

There is indeed someone with a similar problem on the forums http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115682 however it was posted nearly a year ago and the original poster never posted success and the only information offered was the sticky.

My primary hope posting here was that it was just a a rare occurring bug that had been seen before and solved then but it appears it is indeed a windows 7 problems...
Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Eidos Moderator

It is not guaranteed that any laptop or Mobile Intel Graphics will work. Thief was designed for desktops with standard graphics cards. I am not saying it won't work. I am just saying that systems like these can have gotchas. FYI, we are not a formal / paid tech support organization. We don't have all the answers. We are just players, and many of us, like me, use desktops.

Your best bet is to focus on Windows 7 issues and to try to find people with similar systems. You could search for Windows 7, Intel, Pavillion, etc. Unfortunately, the search engine at TTLG is "Borked", as one fan has said. There are a whole bunch of threads here that you can peruse:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153

I see that patch in your link, but I do not understand the vintage of your original version of Thief that the patch is patching, or whether that patch is designed to work with it. There have been many splinter versions of Thief, some of which could have reached a dead end when it comes to DDFIX. I only understand the lineage of the original Eidos release and how to patch that.

Anyway, if you find anything that works, please come back here and post the solution. Our search engine works, and it is good to have a record of these things.